As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Source For Computer Problems

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, after several days of increasing problems, my computer is, at least for now, dead. My laptop is the only reason I can even post. This time, I think I need professional help. So how do you find a good source in your neighborhood? I'm out of decent "computer guy" friends, so I was going to use an actual phone book like a caveman. Or should I avoid all that and just try the geek squad?

Here's the problem, as best I can describe it: The computer simply freezes at log-in right now. Usually it gets as far as displaying the desktop (but no icons,) and while it is responsive to mouse movement, it otherwise doesn't respond to the keyboard. At times, it would instead go to a black screen with the hourglass icon replacing the normal arrow, possibly in an attempt to start the screen saver. I actually saw this last problem yesterday, but I was able to control-alt-delete into the taskmanager and it worked normally from there. I think the whole thing may be virus-related, as the last few days my web searches have been odd. I can connect to sites like wikipedia with no problem, or at least I could when the computer ran, but other sites relinked to garbage sites. I had similar viruses before a few weeks back, but they were much more invasive and I had to deal with them using antivirus software. This one they couldn't seem to catch. I was going to handle that today until, well, things got worse. I appreciate any help on how to fix things. Yes, I know I may have to get a new computer, but even so I need to get data off of the old computer first and I really can't afford to anyway until I get a new job and a new apartment/roommate.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd boot up in safe mode and copy everything you want to keep then reformat.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, god, what about iTunes? I didn't even think about that.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    can't you re DL them or copy them off?

I never got into the itunes thing

Xaquin on