As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: PC beta/360 MP demo out now!

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nope, that would slow down gameplay. [/DICE]

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok this is driving me fucking nuts, 90% of the time I cant fire the UAV or the heavy tanks machine gun using the right button on 360. I know its that button because ive pressed it and its fired a machine gun. But the majority of the time it just doesnt work. What the hell?

The coaxial gun on either of those is a perk. Do you have the perk equipped when manning those, sometimes in the PC version our perk selections reset? Alternately, if in a tank with a gunner, the gunner and your perks will come into play, but will not stack if they are the same.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok this is driving me fucking nuts, 90% of the time I cant fire the UAV or the heavy tanks machine gun using the right button on 360. I know its that button because ive pressed it and its fired a machine gun. But the majority of the time it just doesnt work. What the hell?

The UAV only has the machine gun when you have the one perk/specialization equipped. Make sure you have that turned on for every class every time you start the demo. If that isn't the issue, maybe it's a controller problem... I haven't really heard of anyone else with a problem like this.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm starting to wish the 40mm GL had an arming distance on it.

I'm getting a lot of guys just popping out from behind a corner and shooting down to get an one shot kill.

I would like the masterkey attachment not being completely worthless to use.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How do you unlock those perks? had no idea you even could on the 360

Prohass on
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »

I'm getting a lot of guys just popping out from behind a corner and shooting down to get an one shot kill.

I've been using it on the PC, it's quite effective in hardcore mode. Just fire a shot and immediately switch to your primary.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I should probably try hardcore mode.

tofu on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of rifle attachments, it'd be nice if the smoke grenades actually stuck around for longer than it takes to reload the stupid thing. Smoke might actually be useful then :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    100% useless, you're right.

And yes Tofu, you do need to try hardcore mode. It actually makes the game interesting and makes all of the weapons useful, even the starter ones.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, my soldier name for PC is Wavefront

hit me up with some invites'n'shit

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    added you wavefront. Get in the PA vent FFS

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Silly question, but are stats saving over after beta? Not likely, methinks.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, they are not.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am proud to say that I just spent 2 hours in an empty server learning how to fly a chopper properly. I can now safely take off, land, reverse, hover, zoom over the battlefield like a god of death raining missiles AND get out and suicide the chopper into enemy vehicles if my health is low.

We should play some games, guys.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I need to play with you guys.

I tire of playing with a general population of people who have no interest in even attempting to destroy/protect the objectives. When you've got a team of sixteen players and you're the only one you could see on your minimap in B's remote area, It's a real pain.

My PC beta name is Desrever

I'll make it a point to add who ever else is on that list when I get the chance.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sig, what's your Steam? The friends list is amazingly useless.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Warcry wrote: »

Well, I'm playing it without steam.

Unless you can still add the beta regardless to steam.

I'll make it a point to do that as well. If it's possible.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The friends list actually partially works. It won't show online status, but if you're in communication with your friends, you can still join in on them by clicking that arrow next to their names.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »

Normally I just add people on steam so we can join the same server and stuff. Also so I know when people are online.

Warcry on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Normally I just add people on steam so we can join the same server and stuff. Also so I know when people are online.

A good point: even if you don't have the game on steam, you can still download steam, set up an account, and join the chat room, right? The fact that it uses a (broken, at least right now) internal friend system this could make it easier.

I mean I tried to add my buddy 5 times yesterday before the request finally went through. But once someone is on your list it's pretty aces to get into a game with them.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    The friends list actually partially works. It won't show online status, but if you're in communication with your friends, you can still join in on them by clicking that arrow next to their names.

That'd require you to be able to add them to your friends list in the first place, a feat which I've only ever accomplished once and never managed to replicate.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

A good point: even if you don't have the game on steam, you can still download steam, set up an account, and join the chat room, right? The fact that it uses a (broken, at least right now) internal friend system this could make it easier.

I mean I tried to add my buddy 5 times yesterday before the request finally went through. But once someone is on your list it's pretty aces to get into a game with them.

Ideally, it should just use your Steam friends. It should be illegal to put your game on Steam without Steamworks. Illegal, I say!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Ideally, it should just use your Steam friends. It should be illegal to put your game on Steam without Steamworks. Illegal, I say!

Well if Valve would be more open with it it would actually be possible to use Steamworks.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah it is ridiculously intuitive to right-click > join game on someone when it's using Steam's multiplayer architecture. The fact that it's external to the game makes it a huge plus over certain other systems.

*Cough*Cough*[tiny]GFWL[/tiny]*Cough*

subedii on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Well if Valve would be more open with it it would actually be possible to use Steamworks.

How are they not open with it?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean. There's almost 100 games with Steam achievements (a part of Steamworks) and there are also a few games whose retail copies use Steam for online activation, but not any other features, such as The Last Remnant, F.E.A.R. 2 and Dawn of War 2.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Steamworks has nothing to do with Achievements.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

It's free but you only can use it if Valve lets you. You have to contact them and hope they will respond.

They don't respond to very many people at all.

edit: i should clarify. Yes you can use achievements as part of Steamworks but it doesn't mean that you are using Steamworks as a package, ie matchmaking, etc. I can make a HL2 mod with achievements, but I don't get anti-cheat, I don't get matchmaking, I don't get territory control, I don't get executable generation, etc. Which is what most developers actually want, because anybody and their dog can program an achievements system.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's free but you only can use it if Valve lets you. You have to contact them and hope they will respond.

edit: i should clarify. Yes you can use achievements as part of Steamworks but it doesn't mean that you are using Steamworks as a package, ie matchmaking, etc. I can make a HL2 mod with achievements, but I don't get anti-cheat, I don't get matchmaking, I don't get territory control, I don't get executable generation, etc.

I had gotten the impression that if you have access to any part of Steamworks, you have access to all of it and that the achievements was a part of that. When it came out, Audiosurf was advertised as being the first game to use Steamworks and the only part of it that it uses is achievements.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pretty sure it was the leaderboards functionality that was the main use of Steamworks.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

edit: i should clarify. Yes you can use achievements as part of Steamworks but it doesn't mean that you are using Steamworks as a package, ie matchmaking, etc. I can make a HL2 mod with achievements, but I don't get anti-cheat, I don't get matchmaking, I don't get territory control, I don't get executable generation, etc. Which is what most developers actually want, because anybody and their dog can program an achievements system.

You != EA

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't talking about me. There's other big developers waiting for responses and they haven't gotten a reply. Because first your game has to be considered for sale on Steam in the first place, THEN they consider you for Steamworks.

Another game that actually uses Steamworks for something is Torchlight. It uses Steam Cloud for the character data and so on. Achievements are included due to the Steamworks support.

Also I'm pretty sure EA is just fine using their own servers and crap and won't be considering Steamworks. I mean come on, they roll their own servers for Xbox Live games when MS would have hosted it for them on their own dime.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So guys, can you directly connect to a friend's game through steam with the BC2 Beta? I've been using the downloaded client and a key from a website, but I'm preordering soon and it would be oh so nice to not not have to trawl through this unfilterable server list like a caveman. Please say it is so.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't talking about me. There's other big developers waiting for responses and they haven't gotten a reply. Because first your game has to be considered for sale on Steam in the first place, THEN they consider you for Steamworks.

Another game that actually uses Steamworks for something is Torchlight. It uses Steam Cloud for the character data and so on. Achievements are included due to the Steamworks support.

Also I'm pretty sure EA is just fine using their own servers and crap and won't be considering Steamworks. I mean come on, they roll their own servers for Xbox Live games when MS would have hosted it for them on their own dime.

I don't care about the servers. If you're going to be up on Steam, use the friends list that's already there. It's be like an EA game on 360 not letting you use your Live friends list.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    playing on hardcore removes all my complaints about hit detection. woo!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Unless, they're going to force steamworks on retail copies, that's a bad idea. The game needs to have its own social networking capabilities built in.

Besides, you're capable of doing limited shit like joining the servers your friends are in through steam with any game.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just tried hardcore mode for the first time. At first I thought it was super weird not to have a minimap and ammo counters, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
    Pretty sure it was the leaderboards functionality that was the main use of Steamworks.

The leaderboards in Audiosurf doesn't use Steamworks and has it's own accounts. Leaderboards wasn't added to Steamworks until a later time. I think the first game to use that was Left 4 Dead after the survival mode update.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    Sladvan wrote: »

I've been using it on the PC, it's quite effective in hardcore mode. Just fire a shot and immediately switch to your primary.

As someone mentioned here, the grenade launcher isn't a point and shoot and win button. It's an assault class. If you're fighting a group in a building then blast out the walls with the nade launcher. That's what it is for.

Hardcore mode? Smoke grenades? Sounds like you guys have access to stuff not on the 360 version.

We get that one level, the alternate weapons with the vehicles, and the shotgun. That's about it when it comes to unlocks.

Though I'm really good. I know how to play these games, though started a brief match this morning. First round on defense and some guy kept camping A from the tree line. Idiots I was playing with just kept throwing themselves to the slaughter.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hardcore mode is the best thing ever. It makes the game 10x more fun.

Senshi on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What servers are hardcore? Because a lot of the ones that list themselves as "hardcore" are lying.

Hoz on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I could do with a little longer lasting smoke, but I've found them far from useless. They do great for me to cover up holes in buildings while disarming. Also there seriously needs to be a knife/pistol only loadout, Warcry and I spent a round storming buildings like that and we tore shit up, it was awesome.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png