Options

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: PC beta/360 MP demo out now!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    It was pretty good. I liked it. Not much to it, but it was a fun campaign that actually ended on a high note.

It was fun, yeah, and the characters made it memorable. None of it was particularly special though, and the whole helicopter part was just a mutliplayer tutorial thrown into the middle of the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it ends up on STEAM, I'll buy it. Though I wish I could play the first one, if the story is going to continue.

Well, they've all but confirmed it will be on steam after some people noticed a beta client for it.

The first ones SP was fun, and the writing was actually fairly funny, but the gameplay wasn't that great

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    'You and what army?' 'What?' 'Sorry, I just always wanted to say that'.

Haggard was awesome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's better in context.
    With the tank division surrounding the port.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "During the Modern Warfare 2 no-dedicated servers controversy, DICE was quick to say they would be supported in PC versions of Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Well, with one exception: Players would have to rent them, rather than build their own.

It seems that the files necessary for the PC community to build dedicated servers for this game are being withheld to ""protect the game's integrity on PC." Instead, players will be forced to rent the space from a DICE-authorized provider. DICE producer Gordon Van Dyke insists this is not a profiteering move by the studio.

"This does not earn DICE a profit," Van Dyke told Eurogamer. "But we will see where the game goes and support it post launch."

Eurogamer notes that this policy is a first for the series; previous entries such as Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 supported community-built dedicated servers. DICE says."

Well that's awkward.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It doesn't really sound much different than how BF2 handled ranked servers.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Technically it's not a first for the series, as Battlefield: Heroes uses the same rent-a-server method.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Isn't the PS3 beta over?

And there's going to be info on the SP campaign in this weeks GTTV

I was wrong, it's actually next week's GTTV. And the SP NDA for everyone else is up on the 25th

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's the same system they've had for a while. I'm fine with it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering what it's like to play on IWNET, I'm satisfied with just being able to play on a dedicated server at this point.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really hope they roll with that idea. 4 packs are always welcome.

It kind of sucks that the PC beta comes out two days after Mass Effect 2. I want to play it so bad but there's no way I'll be able to pull myself away from being space Hitler

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well I'm definitely purchasing Bad Company 2 once I rent and play through Bad Company 1. The gameplay trailers I've seen make the game look too good to turn down. I haven't played any of the Battlefield game other than the demo for Bad Company 1.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well I'm definitely purchasing Bad Company 2 once I rent and play through Bad Company 1. The gameplay trailers I've seen make the game look too good to turn down. I haven't played any of the Battlefield game other than the demo for Bad Company 1.

You're in for some real fun. I had a great time playing through the first even though I have played all the other BF games. A lot of the crap it gets is for A) Not being call of duty and B) Not being enough like the other BF games.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but it has some great ideas. The audio is some of the best I've ever heard in a game. The AI in the single player can be frustrating with it's telepathy and all, and the campaign drags in places (Go here, blow this up, ok now go HERE and blow THIS up). The actual gunplay feels really visceral though and blowing up buildings and vehicles is always a good time.

I found the characters to be funny and entertaining, even if the story wasn't the most original. It gave me a good reason to drive around blowing shit up to find gold. Hopefully the sequel will expand on it while keeping the stuff that made the first enjoyable.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Plus it has a mission where you're driving a tank across a golf course. What's not to love?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Plus it has a mission where you're driving a tank across a golf course. What's not to love?

Or even better, dodging tank shots in a golf cart

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And Haggard and Sweetwater. They better be back, and just as funny, in BC2.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I found the characters to be funny and entertaining, even if the story wasn't the most original. It gave me a good reason to drive around blowing shit up to find gold. Hopefully the sequel will expand on it while keeping the stuff that made the first enjoyable.

I find it highly amusing when they react to you dying and respawning. It didn't take itself too seriously, and I appreciated that.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, B Company's banter was great.

Looks like the collector's edition is just extra guns, which is disappointing. The original at least had a nice steelbook.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, B Company's banter was great.

Looks like the collector's edition is just extra guns, which is disappointing. The original at least had a nice steelbook.

Don't think of it as a collector's edition, just think of it as a special cover for pre-ordering.

Also, a teaser:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-301-gametrailers-tv/60992#comments_top

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still have the PA Battlefield tag for the Xbox 360, but I think I may clear it out completely for Bad Company 2. If you guys want to still use it to keep organized, send a friend request to it and I'll add you immediately.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Go ahead and add mine, 360 should theoretically be back up by release.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has there been any information whatsoever regarding SP?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aside from DICE saying the single player was going to be more serious and less humorous, not a whole hell of a lot. Which kind of sucks, I loved the banter between the misfits of b company in the first game. Made the game feel more unique.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

They said they were taking it in a bit more of a serious direction. That's about it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's the main game for this weeks GTTV, so we'll get more info on friday, plus the NDA for everyone else is up on monday.

I hope they get the steam preorders up before the beta starts

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    strategery wrote: »
    Aside from DICE saying the single player was going to be more serious and less humorous, not a whole hell of a lot. Which kind of sucks, I loved the banter between the misfits of b company in the first game. Made the game feel more unique.

:? So you're telling me that DICE essentially went "Hey, you know that element of our game that everybody loves and made us unique? Fuck that, time for serious business." Huh.

Anyway, I'll have to add myself to the meta-tag, an FPS with PA is the best kind of FPS.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gotta compete with the Call of Duty's thought-provoking srs bsns, after all.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

:? So you're telling me that DICE essentially went "Hey, you know that element of our game that everybody loves and made us unique? Fuck that, time for serious business." Huh.

Anyway, I'll have to add myself to the meta-tag, an FPS with PA is the best kind of FPS.

I don't think they're going completely, Gritty McSerious with it, but the games going in a more serious direction. They won't be AWOL looking for gold, flying around in pimped out helicopters. They'd be stupid to ditch the humorous banter between the squad though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

I don't think they're going completely, Gritty McSerious with it, but the games going in a more serious direction. They won't be AWOL looking for gold, flying around in pimped out helicopters. They'd be stupid to ditch the humorous banter between the squad though.

I would hope not, because I was suspicious about this happening because of the game's POWERHOUSE EXCITEMENT cover (as opposed to the smiley-face grenade of the original) but I didn't think much of it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was all for MW2 at first, didn't care about IW.Net, had no problems with it.

After 2 months though, all the little problems have completely killed my enjoyment of the game and now that a new battlefield is coming out for PC? Oh god I think I've soiled myself.

The videos seem amazing, I can't wait...

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...I can't say that 4v4 gold rush was really on my want list, but ok.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I'd expect good teamwork would be essential otherwise you'd get flattened with such a small group.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MegaforceMegaforce __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Does anybody know if this game will have jets? I dont see that in the trailers :(

Megaforce on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Considering what it's like to play on IWNET, I'm satisfied with just being able to play on a dedicated server at this point.

That's because you're an entitled PC gaming bitch and can't appreciate how well a system IWNet is impleme...

Sorry I can't keep that up. Although what gets me most isn't IWnet and its failings, it's that IW was so arrogant about the whole thing, pretty much ignoring any suggested issues with the system and at one point even outright accusing the fanbase of being shills for the server companies.

Yeah, that was a real facepalm moment.

subedii on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Megaforce wrote: »
    Does anybody if this game will have jets? I dont see that in the trailers :(
    It fucking better not.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Megaforce wrote: »
    Does anybody if this game will have jets? I dont see that in the trailers :(
    It fucking better not.

Maybe he meant jet-packs, like that new game Dark Void.

Serious answer: I highly doubt it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BC1 didn't have jets -- which was great.

I fucking hate jets.

Helicopters are fine, it's easy to tag and rocket a chopper. Jets are unbalanced and lame-tastic.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heh, helicopters are great because if you don't know what you're doing you're going to die. No question about it, it's just a matter of when and where.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?