As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I think I missed a health upgrade in the Wii version. I just defeated the Beast, but it was a damned chore since he could KO me with only two hits. I have one extra Life Orb, but that's it.

Still, having fun with my new Magic Sphere ability. This should really open things up.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Man, I think I missed a health upgrade in the Wii version. I just defeated the Beast, but it was a damned chore since he could KO me with only two hits. I have one extra Life Orb, but that's it.

Still, having fun with my new Magic Sphere ability. This should really open things up.

Yeah the beast is pretty tough. My wife resorted to running in and using the leap attack, then running away, rinse, repeat.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yeah the beast is pretty tough. My wife resorted to running in and using the leap attack, then running away, rinse, repeat.

Me too; that's pretty much the only thing that he even feels. The real trick was not being screwed by the camera or controls too many times...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played 'Sands of Time' a year ago and really enjoyed it, and finally decided to find copies of 'Warrior Within' and 'Two Thrones' to round out the trilogy.

Playing 'Warrior Within'... it's disappointing because I feel that there's a good game somewhere in there. The Dahaka is an interesting presence (and the chases are intense), some of the levels are beautiful and on par with the first game like the hanging gardens, and I quite like *plot talk*
    the Prince being the architect of his own doom with the creation of the Sands. Fits in with his hubris issues from the first game. Though Kaileena strutting around in her scraps of clothing pretty much screamed 'Look at me, I'm the EMPRESS!' :P

It just sucks that that potential is drowned out by the awful metal soundtrack, the faux-dark atmosphere without any of the fun snark or humor, and the fact that the graphics really looked like a downgrade from Sands of Time. The Prince's face looked like he got hit by a two by four.

And seriously Kaileena, put some clothes on! Leopard print sheer curtain scraps with knee high leather boots? D:

I still have to finish it, but I'm still looking forward to going on to Two Thrones since it gets ranked above Warrior Within. Then I'll have to cough up money for Forgotten Sands or PoP2008.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Early in this game I kept trying to use the right analogue stick to dodge during fights. My GoW instincts kept getting in the way.

Great game though. This is the PoP platforming that I've been craving for this gen.

And yea all I do during fights is charge swing charge swing charge swing. Maybe throw on a rock armour if there's alot of things to swing at.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, this game is awesome. I mean, the writing is an extreme step down, but the actual platforming is gorgeous, and the fights are the least painful in any prince of persia so far.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the fights are the least painful in any prince of persia so far.

Maybe the HD versions are.

The Wii version uses waggle for attacks. My hand was so sore after a total 7 hours of playing (broken up into a few 1-2 hour chunks) on Sunday that I didn't play at all yesterday. And the enemies are a BITCH to kill. I miss "knock 'em down, stab 'em with the dagger" from SoT.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Unfortunately I just beat it.

And starting playing it again, I can't see myself wanting to repeat it soon.

Bakc to the store with you, little game!

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I bought this game (XBOX 360), Alan Wake, and Red Dead Redemption on the same day and this is the first one I finished (which shows what a huge fan I am of the series). I loved this game.

The platforming in the later levels is the best it has ever been. I also loved that we got different powers then in the previous 3 games. Rewind was the same, but we got water freeze, flight and the memory power which were interesting and not all the same as the slow time, stop time, fast forwards of the previous games (though there were a couple of times while going through trapped hallways that I would have killed for slow time).

Like all the previous games the combat is not great, but at least in this game it is super easy. If your going to have bad combat at least make it easy on the player, so the player can get through those parts as quickly as possible.

This game reminds me why I have played each game in the SOT trilogy at least 5 times a piece and yet I played POP 2008 once and then never had any desire to play it again. The difference in the platforming is night and day.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh fuck, I've been avoiding even clicking on this thread because I feared the game was a crappy tie-in, but then Gabe & Tycho had nice things to say about it and I see some cool impressions here. I loved Sands of Time and Two Thrones, I guess I need to get this right away! <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Oh fuck, I've been avoiding even clicking on this thread because I feared the game was a crappy tie-in, but then Gabe & Tycho had nice things to say about it and I see some cool impressions here. I loved Sands of Time and Two Thrones, I guess I need to get this right away! <3

You really do

I don't know why reviewers are down on this so much

It feels like the worthy successor to Sands of Time that I always wanted and WW and TTT failed to deliver, and that is some of the highest praise I can dole out.

The platforming is awesome and satisfyingly challenging when they throw in freeze, recall and the air attack.

The combat is about on-par with Sands of Time, maybe even a little better. Granted, this means it's still not that great, but it wasn't the chore that it was in WW and TTT.

The writing is...well, again, at least it's better than the last few. Yuri Lowenthal helps things a lot, but some of the "funny" lines are just retreads from Sands of Time.

I think it was well worth the $60. It's easily the best pure platformer I've seen this gen.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just wanted to come add to the love for this game. I'm really really enjoying it. The combat is very well animated and fluid, and the platforming might be my favorite in a 3D PoP game.

My favorite thing though is the pacing, it's perfect. Not once have I felt bored or frustrated, it's consistently fun.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm still working on the 360 version, just got to the (probably first) scarab part. It's fun, but it lacks that special quality that makes it amazing. It's really, really solid, and easily the best PoP since SoT.

I rented the Wii version to compare, and it's funny how it's a completely different game. If it's as fun as the 360 version (and reviews indicate it is), it's great that we got two really solid PoP games at the same time. After three games in a row (WW, TT, and 2008) that were almost, but not quite great, it's nice to have a couple PoP games that don't do anything blatantly wrong.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will definitely pick up TFS...

when it drops in price, which it will as it is a Ubisoft game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beat this a few hours ago and it makes for a pretty damn fun rental.

The game's difficulty curve is paced almost perfectly. From about the first hour to the last I consistently felt like I was THISCLOSE from dying but managed to always get to the next section with a sliver of health left and a smile hanging from my face.

Like another reviewer noted, the whole game feels like sitting down with an old friend you never expected to see again. This game isn't going to top Sands of Time, but it isn't trying to. It kept me solidly engaged for a solid amount of time, and even kept me away from Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption. I can think of no higher praise.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finished this tonight. Sooo damned good.

Error on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I beat this last night

It was pretty great throughout, and one of my favorite games of this generation so far

With the exception of the lame last boss, the entire end segment is so amazing, holy shit

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    This game is leaps and bounds better than PoP 2008 which to me was horrendously boring with the most bland combat to ever be seen in a game. In fact TFS is probably the best behind Sands of Time, to be honest.

Urian on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With the exception of the lame last boss, the entire end segment is so amazing, holy shit

I have to say I fully agree with this statement. End Boss was ok, but the lead up to it was rediculously awesome. I was losing track of what my hands were doing at certain points during the final stage

Error on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone have the PSP version? I'd get that version, but I've heard there's a cripplingly hard bit near the end.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re: 360 Version - I didn't like the final climb, but the stuff after was pretty neat. I didn't mind the final boss, since, like most of the fighting, it didn't get in the way of the fun.

I'm about an hour into the Wii version, and I'm have a ton of fun with it. The platforming feels more fluid than the 360 version, and the levels are much more interesting. There's some nice dialogue, but the plot is pretty pointless and the fighting kind of sucks. Control has the usual Wii issues (pointless waggle and awkward camera controls), but I think, overall, it's a great game.

Both Forgotten Sands games are right below Sands of Time for me now. It's a shame that 6 PoP games in about that many years probably burned out a lot of consumers.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whaaaaaaa

How do you not love the Final Climb

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If it's what I think it is, I've heard it specifically lauded in a few reviews.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whaaaaaaa

It's fucking awful, mostly because the water freeze can get... a little unpredictable on you sometimes.

The stuff once you're out of the tower is cool, if a little unimaginative.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Was about to impulse buy this on Steam, saw the DRM warning...they lost my impulse buy

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I suck at the water-freezing stuff

Sorry!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nah, the water stuff at the end had a noticeable drop-off in hit detection, like they overreached a touch with what their engine could handle. I pretty quickly adapted, since it was deterministic, but it didn't feel as fluid as the rest of the game. I suspect a lot of reviewers liked it because it was significantly more challenging than the rest of the game. They seem to like things that are hard, which makes sense given how many games they play.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really don't get the reviews.
    GameTrailer's review had nothing but praise during the course of the video, and all the game parts they showed looked amazingly fun and well made. Then they give the game a bunch of 7s. The scores had no consistency with the review's content AT ALL.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    Nah, the water stuff at the end had a noticeable drop-off in hit detection, like they overreached a touch with what their engine could handle. I pretty quickly adapted, since it was deterministic, but it didn't feel as fluid as the rest of the game
    sick pun

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, the bit I'm talking about, inside the tower immediately previous to the end, there were definitely moments I had the water solidified long before I hit it, and he fell close enough to grab on but didn't, or because they'd put the waterfalls so close together, sometimes it had problems with hit detection there too.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I think average review score is too low (79 I think?) The only major flaws I can think of for the 360 version are:

1. The story sucks, worse than any other PoP game.
    2. It feels a little stale if you've played all the other PoP games.

Given that, I'd expect reviews to be a bit higher, maybe 85 or so, but I think reviewers curve on originality a bit. That probably brings it down more than the average player would care about.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whoa now

The story is forgettable but it is in no way worse than WW's

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just got it in the mail, excited to try it out.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I never thought of WW's story being bad, just the setting. And the character art.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Error wrote: »
    I was losing track of what my hands were doing at certain points during the final stage

:winky:

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoyed the Final Climb and the entire last boss sequence. Reminded me of some of the coolest bits of Bayonetta.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Conceptually, WWs story was way better than this.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whaaaaaaa

It's fucking awful, mostly because the water freeze can get... a little unpredictable on you sometimes.

My favorite bit of how fucking annoying it is when you start going along some of the water spouts where you have to turn on and off the water as you swing. If you doing the first spout too early, the second spout won't come out in time. The Final Climb had a section where this required split-second timing, and there was no way of knowing if you were boned or not when you went on the first spout.

Really weak.

So, right at the end (after the credits)
    When the Prince says he's going to Babylon, that's where WW begins, right?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would hope not

They'd still have a lot of 'splainin to do

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Babylon is where Two Thrones takes place.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png