Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

1246720

Posts

  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Except the game hardly plays like crap. Its just not difficult. There's a difference that a lot of you seem to be ignoring--the platforming is effortless and works pretty damn well almost all the time. That is in no way a definition of crappy controls.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A new Prince of Persia game based on the Sands of Time storyline?

    Unless they do something horribly wrong with it - like forgetting to put in the ability to rewind time - then I'll be there with my wallet at the ready.

    Edit: A piece about it here on Gamespot, although there's nothing that hasn't already been mentioned.

    Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I find it hard to take any claim that PoP2008 has terrible gameplay seriously. It's mediocre at worst, to say more is hyperbole.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'm really thinking it's just a reboot of the SoT series to make it coincide with the movie.

    Maybe a prequel that ties into the plot of the movie?

    Either way an HD Sands of Time game sounds good to me.

    i dunno anymore. i want this, but i don't want them to not continue the elika story.

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Except the game hardly plays like crap. Its just not difficult. There's a difference that a lot of you seem to be ignoring--the platforming is effortless and works pretty damn well almost all the time. That is in no way a definition of crappy controls.
    It's not the easiness of it that makes it "crappy." It's the shallow, repetitive, boring, unrewarding nature of the gameplay that makes it "crappy."

    You can have easy games that are rewarding and fun to play. This is not one of them.

    I wouldn't use the term "crappy" though, I prefer to be more specific and say boring and shallow, or mindlessly repetitive and unrewarding.

    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I find it hard to take any claim that PoP2008 has terrible gameplay seriously. It's mediocre at worst, to say more is hyperbole.

    Yeah I'll concede this. Mediocre. Not terribly awful but certainly not good.

    i'm really thinking it's just a reboot of the SoT series to make it coincide with the movie.

    Maybe a prequel that ties into the plot of the movie?

    Either way an HD Sands of Time game sounds good to me.

    i dunno anymore. i want this, but i don't want them to not continue the elika story.


    Since this will go with the movie, it'll probably have nothing to do with Elika.

    They'll probably do another "new" POP game eventually that continues with the whole Elika plotline stuff though, surely. Just not with this iteration of the game.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'll say when it's impossible to lose in a game it's crappy

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why?

    hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'll say when it's impossible to lose in a game it's crappy

    Prince of Persia is no less "impossible to lose" than any modern game. It simply doesn't put forth as much effort at cultivating the illusion.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    See, I had no problem playing PoP2k8 as a puzzle rhythm game. I enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was relaxing and gorgeous. I went through and spent the time collecting all the lightseeds and just taking it slow. Since I've acquired a family and a stressful job, the last thing I want to do is stress about a game.

    Now, I can totally understand the game not working for someone--I just wish you guys would use descriptors that aren't degrading, when in truth, it just wasn't your sort of game.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'll say when it's impossible to lose in a game it's crappy

    I disagree with that as a hard and fast rule.

    For example, there are some sandbox games out there without any strict criteria for winning or losing.

    With POP08, Elika is a checkpoint system like any other game. For example, in FPS's, you get to a certain point, you die, you reload from a small section of the game earlier.

    in POP08, you fall off a cliff and "die," except you don't die, you get the functional equivalent of what FPSs and other games do and are "reloaded" from a small section of the game earlier.

    "Elika the Checkpoint" is not the problem of POP08, really.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when i lose in a game, it motivates me to improve. when i lose, it shows me a flaw in how i was playing. losing teaches the right way to play the game and hopefully makes you get better to the point where the game can become a rewarding experience by playing well
    when i can play like half a 'tard and die over and over with no indication that i am playing poorly it makes me feel no motivation to improve or continue since there it takes no effort at all.

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you don't consider falling off of a cliff losing, then you must be a truely entertaining person to travel with.

    hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when i lose in a game, it motivates me to improve. when i lose, it shows me a flaw in how i was playing. losing teaches the right way to play the game and hopefully makes you get better to the point where the game can become a rewarding experience by playing well
    when i can play like half a 'tard and die over and over with no indication that i am playing poorly it makes me feel no motivation to improve or continue since there it takes no effort at all.

    What about us "tards" who don't want to expend the effort but still want to be able to enjoy games? Should we just all suffer and die in fires?

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when i can play like half a 'tard and die over and over with no indication that i am playing poorly it makes me feel no motivation to improve or continue since there it takes no effort at all.

    Why isn't this indication enough? You're failing all the same, you're just not waiting as long between failures.

    This has everything to do with you and nothing to do with the game. It's fine that it's not to your tastes but this is just getting silly.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if i came right back 3 seconds later i would jump off mountains all the time

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if i came right back 3 seconds later i would jump off mountains all the time

    And in every other game except roguelikes when you die you come back in 3-30 seconds. So you hate all games?

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like you would enjoy Roguelikes.

    Oh you died? Start from the beginning of the game, no saving or checkpoints allowed.


    edit: ninja'd

    hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    See, I had no problem playing PoP2k8 as a puzzle rhythm game.

    There are no puzzles to the platforming. They're sequences of obvious button presses force fed you. Takes no mental activity what so ever.

    And it's nowhere near precise enough to analogize to a rhythm game. As soon as you see a ring appear in your path, you can mash Circle as much as you like until the Prince grabs it and moves on. There's no timing or precision required.

    The only puzzles involved are of the boring type: Maneuver these four handles until the symbol on the wall lines up properly and unlocks the door. Everything else is mindless sequence based button pressing. With two minor exceptions.
    I enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was relaxing and gorgeous.
    That's about the most positive two things that can be said of this game.
    I went through and spent the time collecting all the lightseeds and just taking it slow. Since I've acquired a family and a stressful job, the last thing I want to do is stress about a game.
    A game doesn't have to be stressful or even hard to be fun. I won't be one to tell others how to enjoy their games, so if mindless relaxation across some pretty game is great for you, it's great for you. But for others it can be quite.. well, boring.
    Now, I can totally understand the game not working for someone--I just wish you guys would use descriptors that aren't degrading, when in truth, it just wasn't your sort of game.

    I can see how others might have gotten something out of this game. I won't repost all of my personal opinion of course, but I don't think I was being degrading. A the totp I quoted a term only because it was a quote. Plus I still find the game at least mediocre. It could have been much worse. But definitely could have been about a million times better, like its forebears/SOT trilogy.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    when i lose in a game, it motivates me to improve. when i lose, it shows me a flaw in how i was playing. losing teaches the right way to play the game and hopefully makes you get better to the point where the game can become a rewarding experience by playing well
    when i can play like half a 'tard and die over and over with no indication that i am playing poorly it makes me feel no motivation to improve or continue since there it takes no effort at all.

    What about us "tards" who don't want to expend the effort but still want to be able to enjoy games? Should we just all suffer and die in fires?

    never said that, but i don't want my game on easy mode all the time. just punish me a bit, do something to indicate that i am not playing right, and then show me the the right way to play. if there had been a 'hard' mode where elkia dos not save you and you had to restart back at the last save i would have had less issues with it.
    PoP08 was pretty insulting to me in that even if i did mess it up it was instantly okay. if you enjoyed it fine, not saying you shouldn't have. to me, i want to be challenged, to actually try and use my brain when playing. everything was too easy, too forgiving for my tastes.

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'll say when it's impossible to lose in a game it's crappy

    So every game with checkpoints instead of lives and a game over screen is crappy then?

    EDIT: the only difference between PoP2K8's system and Gears of War's system is that there is a little cutscene that plays before you get booted back to the last checkpoint. No real punishment - you can try as many times as you like. And it doesn't show you the right way to play either. Just gives you another whack at it.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when i lose in a game, it motivates me to improve. when i lose, it shows me a flaw in how i was playing. losing teaches the right way to play the game and hopefully makes you get better to the point where the game can become a rewarding experience by playing well
    when i can play like half a 'tard and die over and over with no indication that i am playing poorly it makes me feel no motivation to improve or continue since there it takes no effort at all.

    It's a checkpoint system.

    You can't just keep jumping off a cliff every single time. Beceause then you don't progress.

    If you cliff jump, get reloaded, you think, "Well I didn't get where I needed to be . Better not jump off the cliff this time." And then you try somethign else.


    Elika is just a quicksave roving checkpoint system.



    There are far, far worse problems with the game than the Elika checkpoints.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    no, people are misconstruing what i said. i don't mind checkpoints. i don't mind rewinding. i don't mind any of that.
    but when i fall off a cliff, and get put right back on that cliff instantly, there is no lesson to learn. apparently the prince is never actually in any danger. if he tried to sit on a spike, elika would swing in and push him back.
    this is crappy hand-holding gameplay. i feel no satisfaction from completing an area, because it took so little effort.

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No! No different! Only different in your mind.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    alright so i'm crazy then, i just don't find it any fun when death means nothing. it feels completely boring and unrewarding.
    why even make him die then? why doesn't he just fall into a giant pillow which bounces him back onto the stage? and in fights, when you are about to die the enemies turn into MARSHMALLOWS
    this is gonna sell millions guys

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You get put right back on that cliff because the game gives you a checkpoint at every "safe" platform. Just like GoW does with a checkpoint between each firefight. It is frustrating to do shit over again just to fail at the same place. Just because you went and jumped off a cliff on purpose does not make that design decision inherently bad.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    alright so i'm crazy then, i just don't find it any fun when death means nothing. it feels completely boring and unrewarding.
    why even make him die then? why doesn't he just fall into a giant pillow which bounces him back onto the stage? and in fights, when you are about to die the enemies turn into MARSHMALLOWS
    this is gonna sell millions guys

    Death in a video game means you go back to the last checkpoint or have to start the level over or whatever. In PoP2K8 it means you go back to the last time you were safe - just like a hundred other games.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    no, people are misconstruing what i said. i don't mind checkpoints. i don't mind rewinding. i don't mind any of that.
    but when i fall off a cliff, and get put right back on that cliff instantly, there is no lesson to learn. apparently the prince is never actually in any danger. if he tried to sit on a spike, elika would swing in and push him back.
    this is crappy hand-holding gameplay. i feel no satisfaction from completing an area, because it took so little effort.

    Fall off a cliff? Rewind back time and get put right back on that cliff instantly. Prince is never in any danger.

    Tries to sit on a spike? Rewind time and get off that cliff instantly.


    What if in POP08 you fell off the cliff, died, and had to reload your game, and you found yourself back on that cliff you fell from? Any better? Actually, that sounds much worse. What if it reloads you at the beginning of the level? Worse. Or halfway through? YOu still have to redo a bunch of BS that you've already done just fine. This game saves you that arguably arbitrary trouble sometimes.


    I personally think you find it unrewarding because the whole game is simply mindless and requires neither mental activity nor reflexes or timing. Being saved from peril at every turn seems to reinforce that notion even if it's funcitonally equivalent to loading saves.

    Now here's where I take apart my own analogy to Time reversal:

    in Sands of Time, you only had limited time reversal. It was limited in duration based on how much sand you had. You also had to be wary of how much you had in stock upon entering a difficult platforming sequence. Heck you might even choose to take a hit or damage in favor of saving some stocked Sands instead of reversing the mistake. It wasn't just unlimited and constantly available at all times like the Elika Save-your-Ass system.

    in POP08, sometimes you're taken back up the cliff you fell off. Other times you're taken back to the beginning of some protracted, mindnumbingly repetitive sequence in which you mash the Elika button or something that you have to redo entirely because you missed the last jump at the end. Instead of correcting that error on the spot at the expense of a limited meter and/or health.

    Which is one of the many differences that makes Sands a more rewarding game to play.


    Now I'm not saying that POP08 had to be just another Sands game. I'm all for games doing things different and keeping it fresh. I just hope that when games do this, they do so in a fun and interesting way....



    Incidentally, any game in which you can Quicksave or has common quicksaves periodically is really not much different, functionally, than POP08's elika-save-your-ass system.

    It all goes back to my main point which is that POP08 has some other FAR worse gameplay issues than the Elika system.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    You get put right back on that cliff because the game gives you a checkpoint at every "safe" platform. Just like GoW does with a checkpoint between each firefight. It is frustrating to do shit over again just to fail at the same place. Just because you went and jumped off a cliff on purpose does not make that design decision inherently bad.

    i can totally understand that, and i have been there. checkpoints only ease my pain in games like ODST and MW2. but, the difference i feel is that when you die the is a consequence. there are none in PoP08, whatsoever. even in combat. no real way to lose.
    i much preferred in SoT for instance, where if you were out of sand and died, you had to begin at the beginning of the room. sure, you can avoid that by using sand the right way and fighting smartly, but if you do mess up there is something bad that happens.
    i am being nitpicky and i now this probably didn't bother many people, but to me it was no fun at all and made the game feel too easy.

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well. Honestly. I think you're confusing Elika as making it too easy and boring with the fact that.. the whole game is easy and boring. Saving us the trouble of death sequences and reloading doesn't hold a candle to the shallow sequence based platforming and shallow combat, as far as negatives about the game go.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    you're right, the whole game was just insultingly easy. i just feel they cheapened the death mechanic which used to mean something in games. the combat blew and the climbing sucked, and when i did mess up it was "DON'T WORRY GUY YOUR RIGHT HERE KEEP TRYING GOOD LUCK LOVE YOU~"
    the whole thing was a mess, it's amazing that assassin's creed 2 rocks so much and this game blew so hard when i thought it was going to be the other way around

    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's weird but I found it was definitely detrimental that the checkpoint system in the new POP was acknowledged by the characters. If you die in Gears of War you weren't good enough and you got shot in the head and when you respawn you do things differently - because you getting shot in the head didn't happen. Rewinding time is a creative way to do the same thing. But in POP08 when I'm running around on ledges almost falling off and having the prince say shit like "Hey, that was close" or saying that something up ahead might be dangerous, even though he knows it's not because Elika will save him no matter what he does, really takes me out of the game. She's magic. She can do anything, any time. Why am I even running around and jumping across gaps? She can just fly me wherever. Why isn't she doing that? She says she needs my help, but she clearly doesn't!

    LaCabra on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, it's not bad because it's easy. I've played lots of easy games that were either mentally rewarding or at least skills-wise rewarding.


    I thought of another good analogy.

    Braid.

    You are NEVER in any danger of dying. You ALWAYS have the rewind mechanic and there is NO limit to it at all. ANY time you die or fuck up you can revert to a place of your choosing.

    And yet, it was mentally stimulating and incredibly rewarding to figure out and then execute a well thought-out solution to a puzzle to acquire the pieces.

    So even though there is never ANY fear of death and you can ALWAYS go back to a safe point at ANY time, what makes Braid good is that its gameplay was incredibly rewarding.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    no, people are misconstruing what i said. i don't mind checkpoints. i don't mind rewinding. i don't mind any of that.
    but when i fall off a cliff, and get put right back on that cliff instantly, there is no lesson to learn. apparently the prince is never actually in any danger. if he tried to sit on a spike, elika would swing in and push him back.
    this is crappy hand-holding gameplay. i feel no satisfaction from completing an area, because it took so little effort.

    Fall off a cliff? Rewind back time and get put right back on that cliff instantly. Prince is never in any danger.

    Tries to sit on a spike? Rewind time and get off that cliff instantly.


    What if in POP08 you fell off the cliff, died, and had to reload your game, and you found yourself back on that cliff you fell from? Any better? Actually, that sounds much worse. What if it reloads you at the beginning of the level? Worse. Or halfway through? YOu still have to redo a bunch of BS that you've already done just fine. This game saves you that arguably arbitrary trouble sometimes.


    I personally think you find it unrewarding because the whole game is simply mindless and requires neither mental activity nor reflexes or timing. Being saved from peril at every turn seems to reinforce that notion even if it's funcitonally equivalent to loading saves.

    Now here's where I take apart my own analogy to Time reversal:

    in Sands of Time, you only had limited time reversal. It was limited in duration based on how much sand you had. You also had to be wary of how much you had in stock upon entering a difficult platforming sequence. Heck you might even choose to take a hit or damage in favor of saving some stocked Sands instead of reversing the mistake. It wasn't just unlimited and constantly available at all times like the Elika Save-your-Ass system.

    in POP08, sometimes you're taken back up the cliff you fell off. Other times you're taken back to the beginning of some protracted, mindnumbingly repetitive sequence in which you mash the Elika button or something that you have to redo entirely because you missed the last jump at the end. Instead of correcting that error on the spot at the expense of a limited meter and/or health.

    Which is one of the many differences that makes Sands a more rewarding game to play.


    Now I'm not saying that POP08 had to be just another Sands game. I'm all for games doing things different and keeping it fresh. I just hope that when games do this, they do so in a fun and interesting way....



    Incidentally, any game in which you can Quicksave or has common quicksaves periodically is really not much different, functionally, than POP08's elika-save-your-ass system.

    It all goes back to my main point which is that POP08 has some other FAR worse gameplay issues than the Elika system.
    You're right that the Elika mechanic is not that game's problem. Mechanically, she is just a checkpoint, and there's nothing wrong with checkpoints. I will say that no other game designed with an overt checkpoint system would stick them as close to each other as the majority of this game does, and for good reason. Some of the longer platforming shots actually felt pretty good for this type of game. It's just that they were very few and far between.

    I have long held that this would've been a better game if the Elika's health degraded with each save and had to be recharged with light seeds. Not only does it add at least a little bit of resource management in, it actually reintegrates the narrative into something that otherwise can break your suspension of disbelief pretty quickly, which is kind of important given that narrative integration was the game design's core. It underlies some of Elika's frailty, whereas in the shipped game she's pretty much supergirl. Except moreso.

    edit: I also just realized that I don't know if I want to play a post-Braid Sands game. I mean, either the time mechanics aren't as good as Braid's or Jesus Christ what is going on they can't expect me to do this fuck.

    Monger on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    You get put right back on that cliff because the game gives you a checkpoint at every "safe" platform. Just like GoW does with a checkpoint between each firefight. It is frustrating to do shit over again just to fail at the same place. Just because you went and jumped off a cliff on purpose does not make that design decision inherently bad.

    i can totally understand that, and i have been there. checkpoints only ease my pain in games like ODST and MW2. but, the difference i feel is that when you die the is a consequence. there are none in PoP08, whatsoever. even in combat. no real way to lose.
    i much preferred in SoT for instance, where if you were out of sand and died, you had to begin at the beginning of the room. sure, you can avoid that by using sand the right way and fighting smartly, but if you do mess up there is something bad that happens.
    i am being nitpicky and i now this probably didn't bother many people, but to me it was no fun at all and made the game feel too easy.

    So your issue is that the checkpoints are too plentiful then? Because if you manage to die in the middle of a platforming segment you get sent back to the beginning of it (which I would say is analagous to getting sent back to the beginning of the room in SoT). As for combat, I wish that they would have allowed me to actually fait the combats, too, but when you died and Elika saved you the enemy regained health while that was all going on so there is a penalty - just not a huge one.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Also, it's not bad because it's easy. I've played lots of easy games that were either mentally rewarding or at least skills-wise rewarding.


    I thought of another good analogy.

    Braid.

    You are NEVER in any danger of dying. You ALWAYS have the rewind mechanic and there is NO limit to it at all. ANY time you die or fuck up you can revert to a place of your choosing.

    And yet, it was mentally stimulating and incredibly rewarding to figure out and then execute a well thought-out solution to a puzzle to acquire the pieces.

    So even though there is never ANY fear of death and you can ALWAYS go back to a safe point at ANY time, what makes Braid good is that its gameplay was incredibly rewarding.
    That's a very interesting comparison. Having a game where death isn't an issue isn't problem in of itself, but it did leave the developers free to shift the challenge into some great puzzles and challenge the player that way. PoP didn't do that, so you're left with puzzles easy enough that one would assume the challenge lies in the combat or platforming, but it's not there either.

    I still liked the game overall, but it really could have used a bit of an edge to it.

    -SPI- on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    It's weird but I found it was definitely detrimental that the checkpoint system in the new POP was acknowledged by the characters. If you die in Gears of War you weren't good enough and you got shot in the head and when you respawn you do things differently - because you getting shot in the head didn't happen. Rewinding time is a creative way to do the same thing. But in POP08 when I'm running around on ledges almost falling off and having the prince say shit like "Hey, that was close" or saying that something up ahead might be dangerous, even though he knows it's not because Elika will save him no matter what he does, really takes me out of the game. She's magic. She can do anything, any time. Why am I even running around and jumping across gaps? She can just fly me wherever. Why isn't she doing that? She says she needs my help, but she clearly doesn't!

    It would have made somewhat more sense if her having to save you had some actual consequence on the game. Like, draining her magic power similar to restoring all the magic trees. It would have been a nice touch if you got a "good ending" where the Elika didn't die by finishing the game with fewer than 100 "deaths" or something.

    Frem on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Her powers of flight are limited to how much flight power the gods give her, which is apparently dependent upon the plate you take off from.

    So like in theory should could fly you anywhere if you start off from a really badass plate in the ground that's super charged for flight ability.

    Unfortunately the only flight plates in her world are only charged with enough flight energy to just manage to take you to the next plate or some other random platform or something.


    However, without that plate power of flight, she still has some limited flight ability that allows her to fly short distances and lift objects for short periods. She's only got the power, absent a plate, to lift the Prince for a short jump, or grab him out of a freefall off a cliff. Maybe her magical powers are simply not strong enough to fly long distances or carry heavy objects/people without the boosted power of the gods' flight plates that are placed around various areas?

    slash000 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    It's weird but I found it was definitely detrimental that the checkpoint system in the new POP was acknowledged by the characters. If you die in Gears of War you weren't good enough and you got shot in the head and when you respawn you do things differently - because you getting shot in the head didn't happen. Rewinding time is a creative way to do the same thing. But in POP08 when I'm running around on ledges almost falling off and having the prince say shit like "Hey, that was close" or saying that something up ahead might be dangerous, even though he knows it's not because Elika will save him no matter what he does, really takes me out of the game. She's magic. She can do anything, any time. Why am I even running around and jumping across gaps? She can just fly me wherever. Why isn't she doing that? She says she needs my help, but she clearly doesn't!

    It would have made somewhat more sense if her having to save you had some actual consequence on the game. Like, draining her magic power similar to restoring all the magic trees. It would have been a nice touch if you got a "good ending" where the Elika didn't die by finishing the game with fewer than 100 "deaths" or something.

    Which would subvert the entire story, and ruin the ending twist.

    Really if the combat and platforming weren't challenging enough for your tastes, state it as such. Elika represents a brilliant move forward from tiresome GAME OVER screens. If you want some fucking GAME OVER screens, go feed quarters into an arcade machine. Because that's their origin in PC gaming - a hold-over from when losing meant your game was in fact over, and you had to feed another quarter into the arcade machine to have another go.

    Elika rescuing you is just the game pressing "load last save" for you, and quicksaving before every platforming attempt.

    If you want to make POP harder, here's how to do it. Hire a large man to stand behind you. Every time you get hit by an enemy, have him punch you in the balls. Every time you get rescued by Elika, he smashes your face off a table. Suddenly, death means something. For the real hardcore neckbeard types, maybe this large fellow can strangle you to death after your hundredth Elika rescue.

    Robman on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I rented PoP08, and I enjoyed the game, ending and combat aside. Not on par with Sands, but still good fun.

    I'm curious to see how this game unfolds.

    PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Her powers of flight are limited to how much flight power the gods give her, which is apparently dependent upon the plate you take off from.

    So like in theory should could fly you anywhere if you start off from a really badass plate in the ground that's super charged for flight ability.

    Unfortunately the only flight plates in her world are only charged with enough flight energy to just manage to take you to the next plate or some other random platform or something.


    However, without that plate power of flight, she still has some limited flight ability that allows her to fly short distances and lift objects for short periods. She's only got the power, absent a plate, to lift the Prince for a short jump, or grab him out of a freefall off a cliff. Maybe her magical powers are simply not strong enough to fly long distances or carry heavy objects/people without the boosted power of the gods' flight plates that are placed around various areas?

    Mario instantly kills the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom when he lands on the top 50% of their body. They instantly kill him if he touches the bottom 50%, unless he's consumed a mushroom lately. Mushroom consumption makes Mario grow twice as large, and allows him to touch a monster twice before death. They also store mushrooms and coins in boxes, that you must smash your head into. What's up with that?

    Robman on
Sign In or Register to comment.