Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Her powers of flight are limited to how much flight power the gods give her, which is apparently dependent upon the plate you take off from.

So like in theory should could fly you anywhere if you start off from a really badass plate in the ground that's super charged for flight ability.

Unfortunately the only flight plates in her world are only charged with enough flight energy to just manage to take you to the next plate or some other random platform or something.

However, without that plate power of flight, she still has some limited flight ability that allows her to fly short distances and lift objects for short periods. She's only got the power, absent a plate, to lift the Prince for a short jump, or grab him out of a freefall off a cliff. Maybe her magical powers are simply not strong enough to fly long distances or carry heavy objects/people without the boosted power of the gods' flight plates that are placed around various areas?

Mario instantly kills the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom when he lands on the top 50% of their body. They instantly kill him if he touches the bottom 50%, unless he's consumed a mushroom lately. Mushroom consumption makes Mario grow twice as large, and allows him to touch a monster twice before death. They also store mushrooms and coins in boxes, that you must smash your head into. What's up with that?

Also why do soldiers in Call of Duty completely heal from multiple gunshot wounds simply by hiding behind cover for a few seconds?

slash000 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Her powers of flight are limited to how much flight power the gods give her, which is apparently dependent upon the plate you take off from.

So like in theory should could fly you anywhere if you start off from a really badass plate in the ground that's super charged for flight ability.

Unfortunately the only flight plates in her world are only charged with enough flight energy to just manage to take you to the next plate or some other random platform or something.

However, without that plate power of flight, she still has some limited flight ability that allows her to fly short distances and lift objects for short periods. She's only got the power, absent a plate, to lift the Prince for a short jump, or grab him out of a freefall off a cliff. Maybe her magical powers are simply not strong enough to fly long distances or carry heavy objects/people without the boosted power of the gods' flight plates that are placed around various areas?

Mario instantly kills the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom when he lands on the top 50% of their body. They instantly kill him if he touches the bottom 50%, unless he's consumed a mushroom lately. Mushroom consumption makes Mario grow twice as large, and allows him to touch a monster twice before death. They also store mushrooms and coins in boxes, that you must smash your head into. What's up with that?

Also why do soldiers in Call of Duty completely heal from multiple gunshot wounds simply by hiding behind cover for a few seconds?
    Curaga

joshgotro on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »

Regen

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Zombie Reagan

Robman on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Damn it people it's a war game. The correct answer was friendship/brotherhood/suppressed homoerotic urges

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Zombie Bill Murray

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In conclusion, who you gonna call? Groundhog day.

Robman on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And now we have come full circle to time manipulation.

Good thread.

Monger on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not going to defend PoP2008's gameplay. It is passable at best. But I wouldn't change anything--not a single thing--about the presentation or story. The art is fantastic. The voice acting is fantastic. The characterization is fantastic. The music is--well, you get the idea.

A lot of people may be turned off to this game because its meat and potatoes are not found in its gameplay. That's fine, I can understand this, but admit that it's just not for you, for that reason. Don't pretend that makes it a bad game for everybody else.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It is also not Prince of Persia.

LewieP on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Damn it Lewie stop hating the game

It makes me want it more and more

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I pretty much feel the fact that it got "Generally favorable reviews" is the biggest failing of game reviewers ever.

Like, I think Ubisoft are doing a bad thing, and getting away with it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I pretty much feel the fact that it got "Generally favorable reviews" is the biggest failing of game reviewers ever.

You'll also note that on a ski hill, the most heavily used runs are the greens and blues because not everyone likes having their dick slammed repeatedly by their entertainment.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You'll also note that on a ski hill, the most heavily used runs are the greens and blues because not everyone likes having their dick slammed repeatedly by their entertainment.

Sounds like someone doesn't do enough pull ups with their prehensile dick. Maybe you don't even have a prehensile dick since you're a mere BOY

Come back when you're a real man this is a thread only for the most heterosexual and pain tolerant of MEN

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And the most popular newspapers are the ones with the lowest reading ages, because people don't like to be challenged by their news.

Does not make it a good thing

LewieP on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

The people who don't do the black diamonds are pussies though

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nah, I don't necessarily mind if my entertainment is easy or hard or whatever.

I just want it to be fun. Not boring. I also tend to prefer it not be utterly shallow and mindless, but I can live with shallow if it's not utterly boring and repetitive.

I don't always want my entertainment to slam my dick repeatedly. But I would prefer that it be more entertaining and deep than watching paint dry / grass grow / what have you.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And the most popular newspapers are the ones with the lowest reading ages, because people don't like to be challenged by their news.

Does not make it a good thing

Are you seriously comparing not giving a shit whether games, highly subjective entertainment, are hard or not to willful misinformation

Are you really doing this? Are you choosing to put that beard smack dab on your neck?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, seriously?

PoP was an awesome game. The art was incredible, as was the music, and the gameplay was just fun. Was it challenging? Not really. Games don't necessarily have to be challenging to be amazing experiences.

If you really hated it that much, don't buy the fucking sequel. Complaining that reviewers gave a game too high a score on a game you just don't like is absurd.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you give a damn about games, yes.

Ubisoft has made two very big, very successful, games in a close span that the only real thinking the player had to do was press buttons when the game told them to.

I think that games should be respected for attempting to make players think, and POP fails to do this in any way. It's litterally pushing buttons and watching pretty pictures.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I really don't think Ubisoft is actively doing damage to the medium by making their games easy

I'm sort of flabbergasted that anyone could think such a thing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, in a world of Imagine: Party Babyz, complaining that a game with great voice work and art work is hurting the medium because it wasn't challenging is laughable at best.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh I'm no conspiracy theorist.

But you can bet EA is looking at the sales of Mirror's Edge, then the sales of POP, and making future decisions based on that information.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge had it's lions share of problems though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Ubisoft has made two very big, very successful, games in a close span that the only real thinking the player had to do was press buttons when the game told them to.

I think that games should be respected for attempting to make players think, and POP fails to do this in any way. It's litterally pushing buttons and watching pretty pictures.

The story makes you think. I found it thoughtful and thematically powerful, and the way it tied in with the gameplay was very interesting at least on a conceptual level (though that was by no means perfect, as has been discussed in this thread). And the art was very, very pretty. Visual art has value.

Apparently you're a gameplay purist who plays games solely for that element of their production; that's fine, but recognize that not everybody values it the same way you do, and that there is nothing wrong with valuing other elements of a game.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heck I just want rewarding platforming to find its way back into the next Prince of Persia game.

It's Prince of Persia. If I have some beef with its brainless platforming, it's that it's been done to Prince of Persia. I thought they were going to keep their shallow platforming and confine it to Assassin's Creed and leave the thoughtful, interesting, rewarding platforming to the Prince of Persia series, where it belongs. So I hope they can find a way to get it back in there for the next game.

Maybe that's why I'm so off put by POP08.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

But you can bet EA is looking at the sales of Mirror's Edge, then the sales of POP, and making future decisions based on that information.

Well hopefully they'll look at more games than one.

And you know what? Considering that PoP was a game about platforming with light combat where you spend most of the game platforming and a little bit combat, a lot of which was skippable if the player platformed well enough? I hope they do look at that compared to their game of platforming and light combat that constantly forced the player into a horrible shitty combat mechanic for absolutely no reason.

Khavall on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yup, that's why they're making MoH into a CoD :Modern Warfare clone instead of funding platforming games.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You mean comparing a game with shitty sales to a game with mediocre sales?

Why not just release Grand Theft Hero: World of Modern Warfare with a custom plastic controller?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

People who don't care about games:
    braid_world_2a.jpg
    More people who don't care about games:
    pvz2.jpg
    Oh dear god why don't these people care about games?!?!1
    nontendo-wii-canada.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what the hell is that

what have you done to my Braid?!?!?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what the hell is that

Exposed it as part of a vile conspiracy against gamers by developers

Robman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    More Prince of Persia always excites me.

The Sands of Time was my favorite game for a good six-year run before Uncharted 2 came out and demolished it.

I even enjoyed Warrior Within (overlooking the setting and combat, the platforming was nice), and Two Thrones even more (platforming was great and quick kill was fantastic).

I enjoyed Prince of Persia '08 for exactly one playthrough. It was fun while it lasted, but just didn't have the replayability of the others.

Nevertheless, I'm excited at this news.

Also, the movie will rule, fuck any haters

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what the hell is that

No I mean the image :P

Tim and the little goombas, they look ... terribly wrong!

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what the hell is that

No I mean the image :P

Tim and the little goombas, they look ... terribly wrong!

I don't know, I just grabbed the image off a random website after a GIS of "Braid"

Robman on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Sounds like someone doesn't do enough pull ups with their prehensile dick. Maybe you don't even have a prehensile dick since you're a mere BOY

Come back when you're a real man this is a thread only for the most heterosexual and pain tolerant of MEN
    I think you may be looking for this thread.

And yes, that Braid shot is beta or something.

Monger on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Slash, I like the cut of your jib. You've stated my complaints about the game more clearly than I did.

RE: my complaint about linearity - I was just disappointed that the 'open world' concept wasn't as fulfilling as the pre-release hype led me to believe. I was expecting divergent paths and scores of hidden areas and easter eggs. Instead, it's a glorified Mega Man setup with only four bosses to chose from.

I think that PoP2008 really needed SoT style puzzle rooms. The kind where pulling a switch on one side temporarily opens a door on the other, and you must skillfully and efficiently parkour your way through. I think the poison air areas were an attempt to ramp up the pressure, but they were too easy to overcome.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It is also not Prince of Persia.

Yes it is. It says Prince of Persia on the box, and there is platforming and the main character is actively trying to save the princess. Just because you don't like it doesn't magically make it not Prince of Persia.

I wrote it a favorable review. Do you know why? Because I enjoyed the game and think that it is good. You need to understand that your opinion is not some gold standard against which all other opinions are to be measured.

Thank God. I fucking hated Mirror's Edge and thought it was horrible.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did too, but then I played it again out of boredom months later and loved it. Funny how that works.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Weird, opposite for me.

Loved it when it first came out, but after I was done with it, I was done.

Played it a few months later and felt pretty meh about it.

UnbreakableVow on