Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    PoP '08 was a fun game, but I beat it and Goozex'd it not long afterwards. Absolutely beautiful, but not much in the way of replay value aside from orb collecting.

My 8 year old sister actually had a blast playing it, the "feel like a badass by pressing the right buttons" thing was right up her alley. At first she was averse to the fighting, but then she learned she could experiment and not really worry about dying at all. Some combat was still too difficult for her, but it was great seeing her actually excel at that type of game.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do think it's pretty weird that this game was just announced though, and it's on track for release in five months.

But I think POP '08 was something similar IIRC.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do think it's pretty weird that this game was just announced though, and it's on track for release in five months.

Announced in May, released Dec 2nd.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    If you give a damn about games, yes.

Ubisoft has made two very big, very successful, games in a close span that the only real thinking the player had to do was press buttons when the game told them to.

I think that games should be respected for attempting to make players think, and POP fails to do this in any way. It's litterally pushing buttons and watching pretty pictures.

You... Don't know how to play Assassin's Creed, do you? The simple controls let you focus on the environment, so you can plot a path through the obstacles, rather than stop and start all the time so you can plan your way through it.

PoP 08, on the other hand, set up long linear combos of obstacles you'd have a couple of seconds to react to. Mirror's Edge tried to do something similar, but instead just had a bunch of soldiers shooting at you to push you through parts of the level. I thought both methods had their good and bad points but overall, were still quite entertaining. I would've loved to see Ubisoft work out the flaws of PoP 08's platforming but sadly, it looks like they're ditching any originality and are essentially making it a licensed game.

Oh and I have no clue how anyone could call PoP 08's combat bad, especially when compared to the SoT trilogy. It was far, far superior.

It's not really that different from what they've been doing for years. Release a pre-rendered trailer a year or so out from release, go dark and suddenly a few months before release, start showing actual gameplay videos.

I don't really like it that much but I prefer it to Square Enix's announcements (which consists of them making pre-rendered trailers of the games before they've even started development, so it's years before we see actual gameplay).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are we talking about the Sands of Time storyline from the original, awesome 3D game? Or is it a continuation of the terrible angsty storyline stuff? Because one of these might actually get me interested in the Prince of Persia stuff again; the other will just make me yawn and wish for the good prince back.

Also, no dull as hell gameplay. Easy is fine as long as there's also a way to make it challenging. Otherwise, I may as well just watch a movie instead of playing out a wholly pre-plotted sequence with zero puzzle involved. Even as repetitive as AC1 was, I could at least finish the game. I got through about a world and a half of the latest PoP game before I couldn't stand any more. Good thing it was a rental.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know what would be an awesome setting for this? A continuation of the original SoT that fills in the time until WW, where the prince is doing fine, all cocky and princely. Then the time-forces or whatever that eventually manifest as the Dahaka in WW start affecting him mentally, and he starts having dreams which you play through and are the meat of the gameplay. Dreams where he's running from Arabio-Lovecraftian monsters, stuck in nightmarish versions of the puzzle dungeons he crawled in SoT, and generally getting mindfucked. And being in the dream world, he would be able to manifest a time dagger, so there's that point explained. As this goes on, it starts affecting his demeanor in the waking world, and he becomes drawn more and more into the paranoid, sleep-deprived emo hell that we see in WW.

Of course, none of that'll ever happen, but a man can dream. No pun intended.

Mmmm.. nightmare re-envisionings of SoT levels in the PoP2008 engine..

Atheraal on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have played and enjoyed every prince of persia game.

Yes even 3D.

So... this is good news.

Greeper on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Yes even 3D.

So... this is good news.

Must be Stockholm Syndrome, you poor soul.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

Yes even 3D.

So... this is good news.

It... it may have been like the fourth game I ever played.

Greeper on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge had it's lions share of problems though

I honestly think one of the biggest problems that mirror's edge had is that people hadn't played a first person platformer before.

Once you get to a certain level - once things begin to flow - the game turns from interesting to BEAUTIFUL

It is honestly one of the few games where when I'm playing i'm leaning all over the place and making ridiculous gestures. It can be astonishingly immersive (especially if you sit close to the screen, so imo get a hueg wiedscreen and enjoy the pc version ;l ).

I honestly think 99% of the people who didn't like mirror's edge in some way didn't "get" it. like they just gotta PLAY some more, mannnnnnnnnnnnnn. Even the combat becomes this beautiful flowing thing once you get just a few simple rules. IN FACT I GONNA PUT THEM HYEAR

1) Never use the same move more than once on any given bad guy. Especially in a row. They adapt.
    2) Red flash can lie to you. Learn the disarm timings.
    3) Disarm from behind is an instant kill. AND
    4) You can spin people 180 by using a wallkick, or just kick them in the nuts and run behind them.
    5) Remember the annoying pursuit cops? They spin 360 when you wallkick them. So wallkick then RUN BEHIND and you kill them with their own taser
    6) brb playin mirror's edge

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dude, don't start with Mirror's Edge. Blackdove will jump in and then we'll never hear the end of it...

Me, I liked Prince of Persia 08 a lot. It's way too short for a 60 dollar game, but on its own merits it was beautiful and played smoothly. Combat wasn't challenging at all so I wouldn't say it was great combat, but at the same time it wasn't bad in any way. It was unchallenging but also never frustrating, which is a much worse sin IMO.

So if they're completely ignoring PoP 08 and we never find out what happened to Elika and Ahriman, I'm gonna be legitimately pissed off. That's just not cool. I don't care if they don't go the distance with a trilogy again, but at least a sequel that wraps up what happens in the story.

Also, I've been feeling this way for a while now and thought it should be put down in writing... Ubisoft Montreal makes games with absolutely the best third person cameras. Like, you never hear any complaints about cameras in FPSs, they only ever show up in reviews about third person games. Well, I think Montreal's games really give us the best cameras in gamedom (Yes, I am calling a gaming kingdom a gamedom). Splinter Cell was great, Assassin's Creed and PoP were great, there's simply nothing to note except that the cameras, or perspective, whatever you wanna call it, they work perfectly. You never hear about good third person cameras, only bad third person cameras, so I just thought I'd state that they do an amazing job getting it right. Their games and WoW.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I not allowed to shill for a game that has been dumped by the evil whore of Babylon EA?!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You should get with the times. Evil whore of Babylon's ActiVision now.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ea had this tiny grace period where they were a neutral whore of, say, Antioch, but then they cancelled everything. Or was that Activision?

I DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ea had this tiny grace period where they were a neutral whore of, say, Antioch, but then they cancelled everything. Or was that Activision?

I DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN

Pretty sure you're thinking of Activision (who dumped Chronicles of Riddick, Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend and a couple of other games) last year.

Of course there are people are here who'd love to hate EA again but so far, they've been fine. They're still partnering up with great studios (Valve, id and Harmonix to name a few) and don't seem like arrogant douches. Hell, they've even got Jeff Green running their website.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    man

MMAAAANNNNNN

Which studio said they were dumping all new ips?

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

sorry I can't stop this, I can just hear this guy in my head going mannnnnnnn

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yes even 3D.

So... this is good news.

It... it may have been like the fourth game I ever played.

I too enjoyed Prince of Persia 3D. I played it on a WAY underpowered pc at about 10fps and I still loved it. I think the only one I haven't completed is the original Prince of Persia 2. It was too difficult for me as a kid and I've never had the opportunity to go back, I never had the xbox version of SoT so couldn't play it.

Anyone know how to get it working on a Macbook? I could do with a game for when my fiancee is hogging the tv with Sims 3.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When PoP3D came out I played the shit out of the demo and really enjoyed it. The combat especially. Endless replayability for me, I fucking destroyed that shit.

Anyway, then I tried it again a year or so later and was confused because it was terrible.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It was a while ago, but I remember loving The Two Thrones, having never played the first two.

Except the chariot sections. Fuck the chariot sections.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think Two Thrones is generally underrated, myself. It's like residual resentment and hatred of Warrior Within bled out and tainted people's perception of that game. In fact, I'd go far to that it's the best entry in the Sands trilogy. Yeah, even over SoT. I said it, what?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If Sands of Time had had the quick kill mechanic it would be the best.

tofu on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN

Pretty sure you're thinking of Activision (who dumped Chronicles of Riddick, Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend and a couple of other games) last year.

Of course there are people are here who'd love to hate EA again but so far, they've been fine. They're still partnering up with great studios (Valve, id and Harmonix to name a few) and don't seem like arrogant douches. Hell, they've even got Jeff Green running their website.
    EA was pretty cool for a while. Then they started talking about this Inferno thing, which is like God of War, but with idiocy.

I would be willing to maintain that EA is pretty cool if Jeff Green looks me in the eye and tells me it's good stuff. No blinking.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I disagree. SoT's combat was marvellous. Yeah, some of the fights had way too many guys spawn, but for the most part it was fantastic. I would change nothing about that game, apart from the occasional complaint with voices from far away being disproportionately low volume.

Two Thrones I really liked when I first played it, partly out of relief that it was a step away from Warrior Within I think. Recently I went back to it and don't like it at all. There are a lot of complaints I have - the indescribably horrendous voice acting for everyone but the Prince (oh god the vizier what the fuck), for instance - but it really seems to me as though they just weren't putting as much effort. It was as though Warrior Within soured not just the fans but the development team on the whole franchise. Models were really low-poly, they were really badly rigged, the animation is horrendous, low-quality textures, absolutely appalling sound effects. Maybe it was rushed. Or maybe it was another studio? It definitely seemed that way. Because if the technical quality of work on Two Thrones is indicative of those artists' work generally, I can honestly and conclusively say that the guys I work with on mods and indie projects are better.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think Two Thrones is generally underrated, myself. It's like residual resentment and hatred of Warrior Within bled out and tainted people's perception of that game. In fact, I'd go far to that it's the best entry in the Sands trilogy. Yeah, even over SoT. I said it, what?

Pretty much this. It regained the humor of Sands of Time, the improved combat of Warrior Within, and had quick kills. I really struggle to understand what there is to complain about.

Regaining the humor of Sands of Time was probably the most important part for me. I play Prince of Persia games for a healthy measure of light heartedness.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, the above post gives the impression that I really didn't like two thrones, but just to be clear I totally did. I hated Warrior Within even though it had none of the complaints I mentioned above (besides the sound quality) but I really did enjoy my time with Two Thrones the first time I played through.

Sands of Time is something I can still play over and over again though. I once set myself a record where I played it from start to finish in something like three and a half hours.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How was Sands of Time on the PC? My other half is looking forward to the film and wants me to play this game through with her again so she's got a bit of an idea where it all comes from. I could dig out my old xbox again but it's a hassle, and being I've got a media pc set up I thought it might be a good idea.

It's a 3gb, 2.4ghz Dual Core with onboard Nvidia 9300. Would I have any trouble running it? I'm behind the times when it comes to PC spec, I just built this thing for HD playback.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sands of time with the widescreen patch on the PC looks aaaaaalmost like a modern game (with all the graphical settings cranked up to awesome).

But a 9300 won't run Asteroids.

You can try though.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All the Sands games were great. They got progressively better and refined as they went on. Yes, the whole mood and motif of WW was lame, but the gameplay was fucking great. The Two thrones was like a mixture of the good from the first two.

PoP08 I also loved, especially the acting. I really wanna know where that story was going.

Also, the movie actually looks pretty good.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When it comes to PoP2008 I really enjoyed it. It looked pretty and as others in the thread have said, sometimes it's nice to play a game that looks visually distinctive and pretty and that isn't all that difficult. In my view Okami was much the same. Very pretty from a visual standpoint but not really that difficult.

And it has to be said that not everyone is a hard core gamer. I've always thought that PoP2008 was more for kids than it was for serious gamers. Difficult and challenging have their place, but God knows I wouldn't want to introduce a kid to the delights of console RPG's by setting them to work on Nocturne.

That said, I've haven't put PoP2008 back in the ole PS3, so I won't argue that it's replayability is virtually non-existent. But as a one shot experience, I loved it.

Anyway, my hope for the new PoP game is that Ubisoft will pull a Assassin's Creed 2 off. After playing the sequel, many people said that AC1 looked like a tech demo. Hopefully, PoP:TFS will have all the sweet visuals of PoP2008 combined with the gameplay mechanics and platforming of Sands of Time.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so after reading this thread i booted up PoP08 again just to see what it felt like

the platforming is still not very deep and the combat areas are still not big enough to do the long combo

but goddamn the game is still beautiful as fuck.

on the PC version:
    ubisoft did a bangup job on the AA, if your settings don't make it look like crap...which, if you have the visual quality set at the max, you get this weird edge-detect mode on everything. set it to medium and the world becomes clear, and all you lose is depth of field effects, which really only muddle up the combat.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really enjoyed Two Thrones, with the exception of the chariot rides (brought back bad memories of the Turbo Tunnel in Battletoads), and of course, POP's always terrible combat. So when the game followed a particularly annoying chariot ride with some forced boss combat, and topped it all off with a game freeze that forced me to reload the save from before I completed either, I promptly told the game to fuck off.

The only way I'll ever finish that is if someone gave me a save file for right after that boss fight (so probably never).

As for POP08, I don't see why people are so upset about the story possibly not being finished. It was really nothing special, and the ending didn't make up for it. The only thing I'll miss is the sweet art style.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved PoP2k8.

Low challenge maybe but nonetheless incredibly enjoyable. If the nay-sayers have killed that storyline before it gets resolved I'll be most put out.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Guys I don't think PoP2008 is in any danger of not receiving a sequel. They're simply revisiting an older property.

Ubisoft is a big company, they can do two things at once.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    MaverikVMaverikV Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still refuse to play PoP2008 because, well, that isn't MY prince.

God I love Sands of Time's characters. The story telling was just fantastic. It was so good I overlooked 2 enough to finish it just because they SAID it was the same prince. That's devotion.

I miss him. And I'm glad he's coming back (It better DAMN well be the same character and voice actor)

MaverikV on
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yuri Lowenthal's Prince vs. Nolan North's Prince...both were really damn good. I'm not sure I'd be able to decide.

I think maybe Lowenthal's voice was more fitting but damn it if North didn't make some of that dialogue in POP08 feel absolutely golden.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MaverikV wrote: »
    I still refuse to play PoP2008 because, well, that isn't MY prince.

God I love Sands of Time's characters. The story telling was just fantastic. It was so good I overlooked 2 enough to finish it just because they SAID it was the same prince. That's devotion.

I miss him. And I'm glad he's coming back (It better DAMN well be the same character and voice actor)

I really tried giving Warrior Within a chance but once I hit a game-breaking glitch (AGAIN? You guys didnt learn to fix that shit? The first game had the same damn problem!) that was it for me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What game-breaking glitch was there in Sands of Time?

I don't think I ever once had a single bug in that game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The Observatory. Where you have to move the spheres around. There's a button Farah has to push but will, for whatever reason, decide she isn't going to do it. You can't go back. If you saved in this room you are fucked.

This room actually has 2 game breaking bugs, the other being that if you don't have more than a sliver of life it is impossible to complete, as the Prince needs to make a jump that requires him to fall a distance just far enough that he loses a small amount of life. You can't regenerate your life in this room, so if you saved here, once again, you are fucked.

Both of these glitches can only be fixed by starting the game all over again, which really sucks because the Observatory is like 90% into the game.

Sands of Time was charming enough that I was willing to give it another go and actually complete the game. Warrior Within... not so much.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The Observatory. Where you have to move the spheres around. There's a button Farah has to push but will, for whatever reason, decide she isn't going to do it. You can't go back. If you saved in this room you are fucked.

This room actually has 2 game breaking bugs, the other being that if you don't have more than a sliver of life it is impossible to complete, as the Prince needs to make a jump that requires him to fall a distance just far enough that he loses a small amount of life. You can't regenerate your life in this room, so if you saved here, once again, you are fucked.

Both of these glitches can only be fixed by starting the game all over again, which really sucks because the Observatory is like 90% into the game.

Sands of Time was charming enough that I was willing to give it another go and actually complete the game. Warrior Within... not so much.

I had an awesome game ending glitchin the library whereby Farah appeared over a spike pit the moment I reloaded the game resulting in instant game over every time as she horribly perished. I swear she was no where near it when I saved.

Luckily I was working from alternating save files so didn;t lose too much.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Heh, finally got through reading this thread. Wow, it really sprung up out of nowhere. Some thoughts.

1 - Prince of Persia 08 doesn't have bad gameplay so much as it lacks much gameplay at all. For someone like my daughter or my wife who aren't very good at platformers, it would be perfect, but for someone like me who thrives on challenge, it was a snooze fest.

2 - Prince of Persia 08 belongs on any list of the Best Looking Games of All Time. It's gorgeous.

3 - Mirror's Edge has a steep learning curve, but once you figure out what you're doing, it becomes one of the best games of all time. People who are playing through the story once and then putting the game aside are doing it all wrong - the story mode is essentially one big training ground to give the player the skills & knowledge they need to really enjoy the game in speed runs, time trials, and replays. It truly is one of those rare few games that actually gets better and more enjoyable the more you play it.

4 - I hope this new game is good and not just Prince of Persia: The Movie: The Game.

RainbowDespair on