Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

145791020

Posts

  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The time trials in Mirror's Edge were horrible

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge was horrible

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wasn't the voice actor between Sands of Time and WW/tTT different? He didn't sound mildly British in the latter two games. (I like my Prince to sound mildly British.)

    I enjoyed all of the SoT trilogy, although the first is by far the best due to the writing and overall storytelling. WW has the best platforming I think, and tTT has the best balance of both. But for this series storytelling > gameplay, so SoT wins for me.

    That said, I think SoT's story was so good that it might have been better if they hadn't made any direct sequels to it. WW's main character was indeed repugnant, but he may have been slightly less so if he wasn't supposed to be the same guy as in the previous game. That why I was happy that PoP 2008 was a reboot.

    I sort of hope The Forgotten Sands will just be a remake* of Sands of Time. I don't want them futzing with the original's story any more.
    If it was a remake with legos, I'd be okay with that.
    If it was a remake with Jake Gyllenhal's likeness, I'd be extra disappointed. :(

    Rex Dart on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge was horrible

    Hey, that isn't what I said at all!

    It's funny, because before Mirror's Edge released, I thought the time trials would be the most fun part of the game.

    It turns out that I really liked the control scheme in an action game setting, so the campaign was fine. But using those same controls to navigate through the awful, cluttered courses they set up? Ugh.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm relatively sure an HD remake of Sands of Time with the likeness of Jake Gyllenhaal would not only be my favorite game ever, but indeed my favorite piece of entertainment.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge was horrible

    Hey, that isn't what I said at all!

    It's funny, because before Mirror's Edge released, I thought the time trials would be the most fun part of the game.

    It turns out that I really liked the control scheme in an action game setting, so the campaign was fine. But using those same controls to navigate through the awful, cluttered courses they set up? Ugh.

    I wanted to like it - it just refused to gel for me once there were dudes with guns. Also, it made me motion sick so I couldn't play for very long. And I kept missing jumps because it was first person.

    I understand that these are all individually problems with me, but throw all 3 of them together and I just think the whole package is bad.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GenoGeno Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I didn't like the series very much except for sands of time.
    I did like PoP 08 though

    Geno on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge was horrible

    Hey, that isn't what I said at all!

    It's funny, because before Mirror's Edge released, I thought the time trials would be the most fun part of the game.

    It turns out that I really liked the control scheme in an action game setting, so the campaign was fine. But using those same controls to navigate through the awful, cluttered courses they set up? Ugh.

    I wanted to like it - it just refused to gel for me once there were dudes with guns. Also, it made me motion sick so I couldn't play for very long. And I kept missing jumps because it was first person.

    I understand that these are all individually problems with me, but throw all 3 of them together and I just think the whole package is bad.

    I don't think so dude.

    It's pretty much just you.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge was horrible

    Hey, that isn't what I said at all!

    It's funny, because before Mirror's Edge released, I thought the time trials would be the most fun part of the game.

    It turns out that I really liked the control scheme in an action game setting, so the campaign was fine. But using those same controls to navigate through the awful, cluttered courses they set up? Ugh.

    I wanted to like it - it just refused to gel for me once there were dudes with guns. Also, it made me motion sick so I couldn't play for very long. And I kept missing jumps because it was first person.

    I understand that these are all individually problems with me, but throw all 3 of them together and I just think the whole package is bad.

    I don't think so dude.

    It's pretty much just you.

    That's how opinions work. There's a bunch of stuff in the game that I don't like ergo I dislike the game as a whole.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    how does it feel to be wrong bro

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No, Mirror's Edge really is not a quality game. Yes, there are enjoyable pieces, but there are far too many glitchy jumps, bad cutscenes, and flow-breaking fights. Also, it was pretty short. Subjectively, yeah, you can hate or love it as much as you want (I love the movement and visuals, but pretty much everything else in the game I dislike), but objectively, it's just not a great product. I would've been extremely pissed had I paid full retail for it.

    Anyway, what consists of the "Sands of Time" storyline, anyway? I haven't played through a PoP game since, well, the Sands of Time one, so I have no idea what's supposed to count and what doesn't. I would be wholly okay with Ubisoft ditching anything after the Sands of Time, but we aren't getting extreme Prince again are we? I didn't like the latest PoP game, but I thought the character design was still leagues better than the grunge Prince.

    Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No, Mirror's Edge really is not a quality game. Yes, there are enjoyable pieces, but there are far too many glitchy jumps, bad cutscenes, and flow-breaking fights. Also, it was pretty short. Subjectively, yeah, you can hate or love it as much as you want (I love the movement and visuals, but pretty much everything else in the game I dislike), but objectively, it's just not a great product. I would've been extremely pissed had I paid full retail for it.

    There are like 2 glitchy jumps in the game (a pipe at the end of one level & that jump/run over the machine gun guys), the cutscenes aren't bad or frequent but even if they were you could skip them, and you can skip 99% of the combat if you know what you're doing. Short? The game could easily last you longer than most RPGs if you try to master it and get all of the achievements; it's only short if you don't like the game.

    RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This thread has been a contest of inaccurate assessments and disguising subjective opinions into the most objective appearing manor.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    This thread has been a contest of inaccurate assessments and disguising subjective opinions into the most objective appearing manor.

    no, i really think it's more of a garage. a shed, even.

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    This thread has been a contest of inaccurate assessments and disguising subjective opinions into the most objective appearing manor.

    no, i really think it's more of a garage. a shed, even.

    or an outhouse used in an ill-mannered fashion.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So...sands of time pc.

    I can't get it to recognise my gamepad. I usually use my PS2 controller attached via a USB adapter for pc games that can use controllers.

    But when I go into SoT (the demo) nothing shows up under gamepad settings and I can't control the prince at all using it. I did a google search and found that the retail game had iffy support for gamepads but the Demo was supposed to be better...but it doesn't read mine at all.

    Is there a fix? Or should I just try to find a PS2 copy somewhere on the cheap since I don't want to play a platformer like this with KBAM.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shouldn't you be able to download an app that maps keyboard strokes/buttons to the gamepad, so the gamepad is essentially faking keyboard impressions?

    Either way, you're way better off not using one on the PC. Ever.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not using what on the PC...a gamepad?

    Does anyone have information that isn't a dumb opinion?

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Actually I played SoT with KBAM and it worked really well. Keep in mind I re-binded the keys to my liking.

    Despite the horror stories people tell I've never had a crash or whatever after playing it multiple times.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not using what on the PC...a gamepad?

    Does anyone have information that isn't a dumb opinion?

    something called Xpadder is what you want.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpadder

    the free version, 5.3, should be fine for what you need to do. :)

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    Inferior for everything.

    Everything.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not using what on the PC...a gamepad?

    Does anyone have information that isn't a dumb opinion?

    something called Xpadder is what you want.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpadder

    the free version, 5.3, should be fine for what you need to do. :)

    Cool; thanks.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i had to use xpadder for playing beyond good and evil with my 360controllerforwindows. people are making custom profiles for games all the time; it shouldn't be hard to find one that fits what you want.

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    Inferior for everything.

    Everything.

    Opinions lol. Some people prefer gamepads.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Playing Prince of Persia with keyboard and mouse would just be uncomfortable.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    Inferior for everything.

    Everything.

    Opinions lol. Some people prefer gamepads.

    Unfortunately preference =/= functionality.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    Inferior for everything.

    Everything.

    Opinions lol. Some people prefer gamepads.

    Unfortunately preference =/= functionality.

    Unfortunately terrible opinions =/= facts.

    Stick to the ME thread where your terrible terrible terrible opinions can just easily be ignored.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove, you're just weird.

    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was hella janky with a mouse and keyboard. I should know, I played it that way.

    Delta Assault on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Using joy2key should solve your problems.

    And gamepads are awesome for platformers.

    Inferior for everything.

    Everything.

    Opinions lol. Some people prefer gamepads.

    Unfortunately preference =/= functionality.

    Unfortunately terrible opinions =/= facts.

    And yet, your opinions of facts =/= anything relevant to the subject.
    BlackDove, you're just weird.

    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was hella janky with a mouse and keyboard. I should know, I played it that way.

    Can't say there's anything janky about full control of the camera, actions and direction input for me. On any game.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not sure how putting my hands in awkward crab-like positions is going to improve my overall functionality. I've tried playing platformers with keyboard and mouse, it...doesn't help at all. I could see your point if we were talking about an RTS or an FPS.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I'm not sure how putting my hands in awkward crab-like positions is going to improve my overall functionality. I've tried playing platformers with keyboard and mouse, it...doesn't help at all. I could see your point if we were talking about an RTS or an FPS.

    Very simple. You can't control camera/direction/action at the same time.

    Usually camera/action have to be alternated on a gamepad, due to camera movement being more or less standard practice to be bound to the right analog stick. You usually need that thumb to manipulate the four main buttons. But it's not only that - the camera control is always inferior due to the fact that a mouse is far superior at handling specific and quick manipulation of it, while an analog stick is not, because of the way the axes are manipulated.

    Other than that, it's a simple matter of not matching nearly the amount of keyes one is able to use on a keyboard, but that's the more obvious one.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're uh

    A little behind the times there bud, we've been able to handle camera movement and action simultaneously since the advent of dual analog sticks. As for the talk of needing a thumb, there's probably a reason that important actions for platforming are often mapped to the triggers nowadays. Whereas the commands least likely to be used while swiveling the camera...are the face buttons.

    You don't require the level of precision inherent in a mouse for manipulating the camera. If this was an FPS it'd be different.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Resident Evil 4, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and Trackmania are all better with a controller.

    LewieP on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Platformers have the benefit of having analog precision movement with an analog stick on a gamepad. With a Keyboard you're typically limited to two or three speed movements that you toggle between somehow. So while you might have more precise camera control with a mouse, you have more precise movement with a stick. I think movement is more important, especially in a platformer.

    I will say that Mirror's Edge controlled beautifully with a keyboard and mouse, but then, that was a first person platformer.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    You're uh

    A little behind the times there bud, we've been able to handle camera movement and action simultaneously since the advent of dual analog sticks. As for the talk of needing a thumb, there's probably a reason that important actions for platforming are often mapped to the triggers nowadays. Whereas the commands least likely to be used while swiveling the camera...are the face buttons.

    You don't require the level of precision inherent in a mouse for manipulating the camera. If this was an FPS it'd be different.

    Like I said, the actual manipulation is inferior by design, and it inhibits the use of the four main buttons.

    The fact that main actions are mapped to the L/R triggers only serves to reinforce what I'm saying, as putting them anywhere else breaks gameplay design further (as you have to make the game even more adjusted to the fact the player is handicapped, not to mention the fact you don't have any other buttons to place them on).

    And I wouldn't say I'm behind the times considering I use gamepads to game on the consoles. But when we're talking about the PC, there's no contest.

    And camera manipulation is crucial in every game, not just FPS'.

    BlackDove on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    You're uh

    A little behind the times there bud, we've been able to handle camera movement and action simultaneously since the advent of dual analog sticks. As for the talk of needing a thumb, there's probably a reason that important actions for platforming are often mapped to the triggers nowadays. Whereas the commands least likely to be used while swiveling the camera...are the face buttons.

    You don't require the level of precision inherent in a mouse for manipulating the camera. If this was an FPS it'd be different.

    A fair number of modern FPS games are actually quite playable with the 360 pad. I played through Bioshock and Riddick with the 360 controller and didn't feel I was suffering for it.

    Crysis supports the 360 controller, too, come to think of it, and felt quite natural.

    baudattitude on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Resident Evil 4, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and Trackmania are all better with a controller.

    That's a low blow. Resident Evil 4 didn't even support a mouse on the PC.

    Delta Assault on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    You're uh

    A little behind the times there bud, we've been able to handle camera movement and action simultaneously since the advent of dual analog sticks. As for the talk of needing a thumb, there's probably a reason that important actions for platforming are often mapped to the triggers nowadays. Whereas the commands least likely to be used while swiveling the camera...are the face buttons.

    You don't require the level of precision inherent in a mouse for manipulating the camera. If this was an FPS it'd be different.

    Like I said, the actual manipulation is inferior by design, and it inhibits the use of the four main buttons.

    The fact that main actions are mapped to the L/R triggers only serves to reinforce what I'm saying, as putting them anywhere else breaks gameplay design further (as you have to make the game even more adjusted to the fact the player is handicapped, not to mention the fact you don't have any other buttons to place them on).

    And I wouldn't say I'm behind the times considering I use gamepads to game on the consoles. But when we're talking about the PC, there's no contest.

    And camera manipulation is crucial in every game, not just FPS'.

    I much prefer 360 degree movement tied to the left analog over WASD movement.

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Resident Evil 4, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and Trackmania are all better with a controller.

    That's a low blow. Resident Evil 4 didn't even support a mouse on the PC.

    lolwut!? Eff that noise.

    ghost_master2000 on
Sign In or Register to comment.