As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where did all the DS's go??

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhhhh...shit. The Wife gave me the greenlight to get a Lite since she keeps stealing my blue phattie one, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of one either. Perhaps Best Buy might be the next option? Surely, they must have everything known to mankind there. Has anyone else checked? :P

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On Tuesday, TRU had a sign saying they were sold out of PS2, PS3, DS lite, XBOX360, & Nintendo Wii. :shock:

I went in and found a pink DS lite in the cabinet. They said it had just been returned.

CZroe on
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    So basically Nintendo needs to harvest more Tiberium

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Publius wrote:
    Where did all the DS's go??

Into new hershey's DSes and cream!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was going to put a joke post and say that Nintendo of Japan is probably beginning to stockpile DS Lites in antipication for when Dragon Quest IX launches in Japan ... but then I realized that's actually a lot more likely than I first thought.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    zero_bitzero_bit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    So basically Nintendo got a present for ya

zero_bit on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taximes wrote:
    I've been looking on Ebay for one...I'd like to get an Onyx, but they're going for $160-$170 plus shipping, and that's just not worth it for me. To save upwards of $40, I can wait a month.

(However, I have told myself that my limit on Ebay is $150. If I can get one for that, it's mine ;))

I was going to get an Onyx one, but I settled for a polar white one, because that was all that I could find in my town.

Of course, there were only 2 left at the store.

I had a white one in my hands at Best Buy last week. :o

But I put it back (I'm holding out for black). :oops:

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taximes wrote:
    I've been looking on Ebay for one...I'd like to get an Onyx, but they're going for $160-$170 plus shipping, and that's just not worth it for me. To save upwards of $40, I can wait a month.

(However, I have told myself that my limit on Ebay is $150. If I can get one for that, it's mine ;))

I was going to get an Onyx one, but I settled for a polar white one, because that was all that I could find in my town.

I'm surprised that more people don't go for white, figuring that matches the Wii and all.

Speaking of, got my new Wiimote straps yesterday :)

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    LunaticPumaLunaticPuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try your local Sears or FYE. These places tend to get overlooked by the average person for games especially hardware. I got my wife a pink DS 2-3 weeks before Xmas at Sears. They only had 2 DS's both of which were pink. Wal-marts in the middle of nowhere are good too. There was one 10 miles away from me that had black DS's the week before Xmas.

LunaticPuma on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try your local Sears or FYE. These places tend to get overlooked by the average person for games especially hardware. I got my wife a pink DS 2-3 weeks before Xmas at Sears. They only had 2 DS's both of which were pink. Wal-marts in the middle of nowhere are good too. There was one 10 miles away from me that had black DS's the week before Xmas.
    Also, if you have one by you Virgin Megarecords carries gaming stuffs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TabrisTabris Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try Target Sunday mornings. They almost always have DS Lites in their ads which means they have a bunch in stock generally that morning. They will sell fast though.

Tabris on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo to buy Google in 5 years?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    So basically Nintendo has Low Upkeep

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, I think the DS was overlooked this year by retailers. I work for Best Buy and all we were concentrating on was the Wii, the PS3, and the 360. We had a shitload of DS's up until a week before Xmas, then BAM! They all sold out in 2 days. Now we get a shipment in and they are gone in a day. Of course, the shipments are only about 15 at a time.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Threads like these make me glad I had graduation money burning a hole in my pocket at the DS Lite launch. Hell, I even have the hinge crack, but I'm still glad I got the thing on Day one, rather than waiting...

To those looking: Look at less obvious places, like Sears. Everyone and their mother is going to look at Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, EBStop, etc.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    HOLY CRAP!

Finally found some at my local TRU. THEY GOT FIVE BLACK ONES!

Holy shit...leaving work early, skipping lunch..boss is all good with it. Later suckers, wish me luck!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reigner wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    So basically Nintendo requires more burrows

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reigner wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    rightbelow wrote:
    So basically Nintendo needs more cowbell

Firebrand on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So yeah, that quote tree stopped being funny on page 2.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, I think the DS was overlooked this year by retailers. I work for Best Buy and all we were concentrating on was the Wii, the PS3, and the 360. We had a shitload of DS's up until a week before Xmas, then BAM! They all sold out in 2 days. Now we get a shipment in and they are gone in a day. Of course, the shipments are only about 15 at a time.

So you're saying you're actually getting shipments in, then? The only retailers I have here are best buy and gamestop. What days do your shipments come in, so I can know when to check and when to stay home?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    final_sunfinal_sun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taximes wrote:
    So, basically...I only live a couple hours from the border, and if there really are DSes to be had in our neighbor to the north...road trip?

I know Future Shop won't ship to you in the US, but you could try placing an online order with in store pick-up selected instead. I'm not sure if they'll allow this with a U.S. address or if there are any FS locations with the DS in stock in reasonable driving range, but it's worth a try if you're seriously considering the road trip.

final_sun on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:

So you're saying you're actually getting shipments in, then? The only retailers I have here are best buy and gamestop. What days do your shipments come in, so I can know when to check and when to stay home?

I do not know if this pertains to all Best Buys but we get trucks on Wed and Fri. If it is in the flyer though, we have to hold them until Sunday because of minimum stock requirements. Unfair, but the way it has to be.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    mayor cigar facemayor cigar face Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Firebrand wrote:
    Reigner wrote:
    zero_bit wrote:
    Boilerbird wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Andorien wrote:
    [quote:a1689d4df2="rightbelow"]So basically Nintendo came to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but it's all out of gum.
    [/quote:a1689d4df2]

mayor cigar face on
    godsoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:

I do not know if this pertains to all Best Buys but we get trucks on Wed and Fri. If it is in the flyer though, we have to hold them until Sunday because of minimum stock requirements. Unfair, but the way it has to be.

Ok, so if it's in the flyer, I should show up sunday?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:

So, is this week's flyer going to advertise the DS?

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I believe flyers are local.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm in the same situation...except I'm looking for a pink one.

The gf decided it was time she had her own after seeing me play my Lite. I've been busting my ass trying to find one for her since this is her first foray into gaming since the Nintendo 64 era.

I blame Yoshi and Nintendogs.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taximes wrote:

Like i said, i was going to get an onyx one... but then i realized it was going to get pretty finger-printy. i know the white one does too, but it's not nearly as visible.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My older brother bought a sexy black DSLite 2 weeks before Xmas.

Smartest move ever. What did he get for Xmas? A bunch of DS games. And he didn't have to worry about stores-not-having-any issues.

Anyway, there has been a huge demand for the things in November and December. The DSLite sold ~1 million units in November. I'm sure that they finished off whatever units were left during the last-minute holiday rush.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My wallet surrenders like the bitch it is!

Nabbed a Onyx DS Lite, I would suggest you guys check TRU, because that's the only place I found them, and they only had 5 of them, half of which were gone when I picked up mine.

Also nabbed Metroid Prime Pinball for $10, and ODAMA (Damn Okami) for the GC.

*Hands the blue phattie DS to the misses*

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    People always confuse the name Odama for the name Okami.

slash000 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Threads like these make me glad I had graduation money burning a hole in my pocket at the DS Lite launch. Hell, I even have the hinge crack, but I'm still glad I got the thing on Day one, rather than waiting...
    I consider my hinge crack a 1st shipment exclusive. :o

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    So yeah, that quote tree stopped being funny on page 2.

EDIT: For real, the DS Lite is just *begging* me to buy it. It sucks cuz I just got a Wii and my friend just got a PS3 .. I am such a console whore.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :D

I got a black DS lite from a supertarget about 20 miles from here yesterday. It was a crap shoot based upon the website (it went from "Not available" to "available" and the first store I went to that was "available" was actually "Not available"). Tonight I am going to drive out to bestbuy/circuit city and see if I can't get some other games/accessories for it.

Money hole, here I come! :lol:

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    I consider my hinge crack a 1st shipment exclusive. :o

Yeah, I felt bad about it for about 30 seconds (it didn't crack until last month...lasted quite a while, but then again I didn't play it as much as I would have liked). then I decided it was more of a Badge of Honor than anything else. :)

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ya, I'm having a serious problem finding one as well. I saw a stack (around 8) at my local best buy here in San Carlos but couldn't get anyone to help me and was like screw you guys I'm going home. Stupidest mistake I've made in a long time.

Anyone has any hookups around San Mateo through Redwood city let me know.

/edit

So I found one at target like 5 minutes ago. Anyone near San Mateo should head to the Target at Bridge Point Plaza they have like 8 in stock. Now if I can just find FF3

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Don't tell me FF3 is rare now.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marty81 wrote:
    Don't tell me FF3 is rare now.

My local GameStop had some today when I went to get Phoenix Wright and Cooking Mama.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [DS On]DS Lite Hunt Info Thread.

:P

slash000 on
  • Options
    GatoradeGatorade Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can someone tell me five must own games for the DS? I'm trying to avoid buying the DS because I got burned on the GBA SP. I love super mario superstar saga (think that is the title) but I really didn't like any other GBA games that came out afterwards and then the DS came out 6 months later! Can I be assured of DS posterity for another two years? I'm just worried I'll get sick of the DS because I struck out with the Gameboy Color and the GBA. I never used them enough to justify the purchase. Sometimes I think it is because I'm not on the move enough. I would find myself on my couch at home playing a portable game when I could be playing a console or on the PC. Anyone else been in my place and can advise me?

Gatorade on
    25382_gatorade.jpg