Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

{[Let's Go to School!]} FALL ADMISSIONS 2010 GO GO GO

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN regular howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wooo community college is so exciting

VoproSTEIN on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mauck is a good guy from what I hear, I was supposed to have him last year but he had some undisclosed sickness that put him out for the semester.

Don't know anything else.

You got what, 3 WI classes? Rough shit. Done it before, ain't no fun.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MarthMarth regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mauck reminds me of one of my uncles. That's good and bad, mostly good.

On the bright side, I don't have any math or science. That's for next semester!

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • CalliusCallius regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh jesus, I'm so glad I only took three classes this quarter.

350 pages worth of reading in a week? YAY HISTORY!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited January 2010
    Marth wrote: »

Hahaha, man I am so glad I pulled a C in my math class. Done with it. I am so horrible at it.

What are you going to major in?

Also, I don't know if you want to, but you should definitely take the intro music class with Dr. Thomas for your fine arts credit. Attend any school play/opera/music related thing or anything similar that's over $5 and you get an A on your first paper, and the second paper, you're supposed to write about three new experiences (go/see/do) and apparently all he does is check for 1" margins, 3 pg paper fit to length. He grades on either a 0 or a 100.

The rest is study definitions for the quizzes. His theory is that if you aren't a music major, you don't need an unnecessary class bringing down your grades. He wants you to leave with an A apparently.

Dead Legend on
    edited January 2010

Hahaha, man I am so glad I pulled a C in my math class. Done with it. I am so horrible at it.

What are you going to major in?

Also, I don't know if you want to, but you should definitely take the intro music class with Dr. Thomas for your fine arts credit. Attend any school play/opera/music related thing or anything similar that's over $5 and you get an A on your first paper, and the second paper, you're supposed to write about three new experiences (go/see/do) and apparently all he does is check for 1" margins, 3 pg paper fit to length. He grades on either a 0 or a 100.

The rest is study definitions for the quizzes. His theory is that if you aren't a music major, you don't need an unnecessary class bringing down your grades. He wants you to leave with an A apparently.

Right now I'm in Journalism, but first I need to finish this job shadowing thing I was set up with and talk to some people about it. It's very much up in the air, but I like writing too much so I'll probably stay in Mass Comm.

Marth on
    edited January 2010
    I like writing so much I decided to not major in it, so that I wouldn't cause myself unnecessary suffering for four years!

Dead Legend on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Right now I'm in Journalism

D:

are you like getting a minor in horse-drawn carriages?

scrivenerjones on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    sigh

the most upsetting thing, i think, is that the people who actually got journalism jobs in my graduating class are not in general the people who were any good

satansfingers on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know exactly one journalism major my age who got a job

it's at a think tank, he's working the "whither journalism?" beat

nice work if you can get it

scrivenerjones on
    edited January 2010
    i mean, i know a bunch. virtually nobody from the magazine sequence got jobs at magazines, but there are always newspaper/tv jobs in small towns.

satansfingers on
  • L|amaL|ama regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love wolfram alpha

as well as teaching me maths, it has replaced wikipedia for checking people quoting statistics in arguments

L|ama on
    edited January 2010
    My sister majored in journalism/mass communication from the same institution Marth and myself are at. 1998 - 2001, did not find a job even remotely related until 2007. And that was for being a glorified telephone monkey for an insurance agency listening to people bitch about their insurance.

Now, she's making good money at the same job, but I've asked her, and it was most certainly not her idea of "mass communication".

But she couldn't find any jobs involving newspapers.

Dead Legend on
    edited January 2010
    the thing about newspaper jobs is that while they certainly exist, you have to be willing to move to bumfuck nowhere and watch interminable city council meetings about the most mundane shit as a young reporter

satansfingers on
    edited January 2010
    Something I wish my sister would've done, as her moving back with my parents after her divorce with a small child wasn't too much fun. Especially because she was such a fuckin' bitch.

Now she's cool and I've got a cool niece, but at the time it was fucking miserable.

Dead Legend on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    my friend was wanting to go into journalism
    this year he decided to be realistic after looking at the decline of the newspaper industry and is applying to whatever will make him the most money

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae regular Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I like writing so much I decided to not major in it, so that I wouldn't cause myself unnecessary suffering for four years!

are you being serious here

i never know when someone is being ironically against english majors or w/e

Orikaeshigitae on
  • celandinecelandine regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    I love wolfram alpha

as well as teaching me maths, it has replaced wikipedia for checking people quoting statistics in arguments

No. As somebody who uses this stuff very regularly, Wolfram Alpha has a way of defining things in the most fucked-up way possible. Compare Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia on, say, "direct limit" or "random walk." Wikipedia on math is excellent and detailed; Wolfram somehow manages to give you short but useless definitions.
    Also I hate Mathematica's capitalization conventions.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited January 2010
    The stuff you guys are talking about is exactly why I'm considering switching to TV or something.

I think I'm hesitant to switch because I don't want to be left wondering what I should do.

Marth on
    edited January 2010
    I know journalism people who have jobs (at the American Prospect, Mother Jones, various other things.)

The thing is, though, these are dedicated idealists who don't mind being poor for real. This is different than being okay with being poor temporarily, as in grad school or residency. You have to really be okay with being poor enough that you're never really "respectable" or a "professional," and to have occasional scary bouts with diseases you can't pay for, or debt, or various other kinds of trouble, and still work your ass off.

My friends who made it (at least till today) in journalism actually take all that in stride. My friend who thought she was going to be a journalist, but actually likes being affluent and respected, is going to Harvard Law instead.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • The Far SideThe Far Side regular __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    woah you know somebody who works at MoJo? that's baller.

The Far Side on
    33aqfwk.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. Andy Kroll.
    I actually really love the magazine. These days I've started to buy it instead of the Economist. The investigative journalism is more impressive than what I've seen anywhere else.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • The Far SideThe Far Side regular __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    That is the correct thing to do

also The Nation has been an excellent source of investigative journalism, especially recently when they broke the story about the ICE prisons.

The Far Side on
    33aqfwk.jpg
    edited January 2010

are you being serious here

i never know when someone is being ironically against english majors or w/e

You see, I thoroughly enjoy reading and writing, and every English class I've ever had has been absolute bullshit.

The bullshit you gotta write about is straight up donkey dick.

Dead Legend on
    edited January 2010
    Some people just ain't cut out for the academic humanities; that has nothing to do with how good you are at writing (in the sense of being a good communicator.) I hear so much bitching from my roommate when she has to take an airy-fairy humanities class -- she's like, "WHERE ARE THE STATS?" "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SEX HERE?" "MORE FACTS LESS DICKS."

I don't have that reaction myself but I can see where she's coming from.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    edited January 2010
    No, my English class last semester was just not good. I did fine, but it didn't really feel like I did anything worthwhile there.

Marth on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    asking for less sex?

I'm afraid I simply can't sympathize with that

8-)

position

MrMonroe on
  • hectorsehectorse regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Apparently Stanford is sending acceptance emails right now, and I haven't got anything. First bad news

hectorse on
    edited January 2010
    If more English classes were like "here, write a story about anything you want" instead of "explain what plato meant by talking about a cave or thoreau meant by slow down and go outside" and i'm like "bitch, ignorance is death and so is the city"

and apparently that's not an academic argument

and then you gotta be sensitive to other people's problems and shit and i just don't care for their problems.

filling out a white privilege checklist before we started talking about mlk, jr was outstandingly retarded.

Dead Legend on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and i'm like "bitch, ignorance is death and so is the city"

loving this

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Some people just ain't cut out for the academic humanities; that has nothing to do with how good you are at writing (in the sense of being a good communicator.) I hear so much bitching from my roommate when she has to take an airy-fairy humanities class -- she's like, "WHERE ARE THE STATS?" "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SEX HERE?" "MORE FACTS LESS DICKS."

I don't have that reaction myself but I can see where she's coming from.

I am taking a literature class pass/fail in this, my last semester of college, because I figure I should take one before I graduate for variety sake

It is Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky because I know I liked Bros. Karamazov when I read it in High School so I won't mind reading it again

I almost decided to take Portuguese but I got lazy

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    and i'm like "bitch, ignorance is death and so is the city"

loving this

lovin' you!

Dead Legend on
    edited January 2010
    I've never read this much this fast in my life though I don't know how humanities people do that with like 4-6 classes of reading shit

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2010
    If more English classes were like "here, write a story about anything you want" instead of "explain what plato meant by talking about a cave or thoreau meant by slow down and go outside" and i'm like "bitch, ignorance is death and so is the city"

and apparently that's not an academic argument

and then you gotta be sensitive to other people's problems and shit and i just don't care for their problems.

filling out a white privilege checklist before we started talking about mlk, jr was outstandingly retarded.

Dude.
    English classes are mostly not creative writing classes. Two different disciplines.
    The sensitivity stuff is a convention in the humanities. Honestly I wish it were more widespread. It has its downsides -- sometimes it's executed really stupidly -- but the aim is to prevent assholery, and I can get behind that. Also, um, privilege is real.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    edited January 2010
    yes, english classes are more based towards the mechanics of writing and not the creativity. still doesn't change the fact that i resent it.

also, yes privilege is real. i'm privileged as all get out. so does that make my opinion null and void when talking about discrimination? according to the checklist, yes.

closing arguments: fuck english and fuck all the english teachers i've ever had, except ms.goldstein, she was my favorite.

Dead Legend on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yep

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Comparative Lit is the reason I'm a struggling actor instead of an English teacher.

august on
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ya, my undergrad had separate majors for English and Writing. English was the "read stuff that dead people wrote and write about it" part and Writing was the part where you write your own stuff and occasionally read stories and essays with an eye towards how to do it.

I took classes from both programs and did an English minor. I really like creative writing as a hobby, but I really have to force myself to do any kind of writing - I don't have that drive some people have where they have to write things or go crazy.

KalTorak on
    edited January 2010
    oh yeah marth, apparently the university star is hiring? you might want to look into that

Dead Legend on
    edited January 2010
    I applied last year and they accepted me, but I was too busy then. I'll reapply Monday.

Marth on
This discussion has been closed.