As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

1565758596062»

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    The Force Unleashed: USE was a terrible port. Most ports are fine, but nobody should act like the horrible ones don't happen anymore.

Yeah, but Force Unleashed was a terrible game to begin with, so that really doesn't help.

Yes, a good port of a bad game still leaves you with a bad game.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I got Dead Space when it was available for free from the EA store. I got pretty far, but when I ran out of ammo completely, I really didn't want to go back and get some, so I just stopped playing. I should go back and finish it sometime.

They were giving it away free?!?!

There was an error in the UK EA store for a while where if you added Mercenaries 2, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to your cart, they'd be free. I got LewieP to get them for me.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GTAIV could also be better optimized, but it's still a great game on PC.
    I think it's a really poor port, it took me an hour of updating crap until it stopped crashing on startup without telling me why. And it still crashes randomly every once in a while. It also runs like crap unless you turn down everything. If I had paid full price for it I'd be pissed.

I expect to repeat this many times in the future. On the bright side, Starbucks has lots of cookies and candies on clearance to make room for the new year. Hooray food!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really wish they would put Crysis on sale.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does any kind soul out there wish to gift me DOD : Source?

I used up my pre-paid card on witcher and torchlight...

Did anyone get back to you on this?

I might be able to help.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh fantastic, now when I boot up Republic Commando, the screen flickers on and off so I can't see anything

edit: holy fuck now it's doing it with KOTOR too

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I might be able to help.

I'm actually trying to get a friend of mine to get it for me and some friends so we can all play together.

Though if you were to be so kind as to save him the 2.50$, both me and him would be very grateful.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got Dead Space when it was available for free from the EA store. I got pretty far, but when I ran out of ammo completely, I really didn't want to go back and get some, so I just stopped playing. I should go back and finish it sometime.

They were giving it away free?!?!

There was an error in the UK EA store for a while where if you added Mercenaries 2, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to your cart, they'd be free. I got LewieP to get them for me.

Yeah, it wasn't an intentional giveaway.

I like Dead Space enough that I am considering buying it to have it on steam.

LewieP on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    I really wish they would put Crysis on sale.

EA doesn't appear to be putting anything on sale. Which is a shame because I can't imagine the game's selling anything right now, two years after release, and especially during a sale.

subedii on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I might be able to help.

I'm actually trying to get a friend of mine to get it for me and some friends so we can all play together.

Though if you were to be so kind as to save him the 2.50$, both me and him would be very grateful.

If he doesnt get back to you in like 40 mins send me a message on steam when i get home and i'll hook you up.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holy fuck, I'm enjoying Zombie Driver way more than I thought I would. $2.50 well spent. I blew my December personal cash on Christmas - Steam is chipping away at January's cash $2-5 at a time!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    EA doesn't appear to be putting anything on sale. Which is a shame because I can't imagine the game's selling anything right now, two years after release, and especially during a sale.

Both Mirror's Edge and Dead Space are EA games and both have been on sale.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well nevermind then.

subedii on
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, even though I find World War II Games Stale and Unoriginal, Day of Defeat: Source is pretty awesome as fuck.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm it's the only valve game I don't have on my steam.

Tempting. Even though I'll probably never play it.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If he doesnt get back to you in like 40 mins send me a message on steam when i get home and i'll hook you up.

Thanks! Can I ask you what your steam name is? I don't think I have you on my friend's list.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I might be able to help.

If you dudes got it I'll let you dudes get it.

But, if your first friend can't do it, and randombattle can't do it, let me know and we can friend each other and I'll gift it to you.

Basically what I am trying to say here is one way or another, you're gonna be getting some DOD tonight, son.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What kind of game is DoD? The page for it isn't exactly the best description. the screenshots make it seem 3rd person?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What kind of game is DoD? The page for it isn't exactly the best description. the screenshots make it seem 3rd person?

It's a WWII first-person shooter, very similar to counter-strike, except almost all of the maps are about capturing points, very similarly to TF2. Pretty fun multiplayer game.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The original was a lot of fun. Haven't played the Source version though. If it's anything like the Source version of CS it's good too (but doesn't have the magic of nostalgia for us "old timers").

edit: Is there still a sale? I have monies that they can have I guess.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well nevermind then.
    Well, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space both had underwhelming sales figures.

Crysis has been a fiscal juggernaut when you consider the platform and system requirements.

Monger on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think i'll pick it up then and give it a shot, especially at 2.50... Should probably check that my prepaid card still has money on it first though

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

The original was a lot of fun. Haven't played the Source version though. If it's anything like the Source version of CS it's good too (but doesn't have the magic of nostalgia for us "old timers").

Man, Old Timers played D-Day: Normandy.

Apparently D-Day is so old that PlanetQuake no longer has a page for it :?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Picked up Hearts of Iron 3, as I am a complete sucker for these games.

As im I. (bought it on release...)

Though I have to admit I liked HoI2 better.

I'm a sucker for good research sytems.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    The huge majority of ports nowadays are great. Last really awful port of a major game was RE4, because it used the PS2 graphics and had terrible controls. SR2 has some performance troubles in some machines, but the controls are very good and the mods are awesome.

Lies. Well, maybe not RE4, but SR2 is awful. Controls, graphics, performance, the fact that there's an even chance your sound will only come from one speaker, controls again. How on earth they decided that an open-world game with an emphasis on driving should have such craptastic driving controls is beyond me.

I mean, there might be some fun in there. That's what I heard and that's why I bought it, but god, everything around that fun is just horrible.

You know what? Whatever. I'll just keep having incredible amounts of fun with SR2 and GTAIV while all the cool kids keep parroting how awful they are.

If it didn't happen to you, it didn't happen to anyone!

You really missed the point.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    for those unsure about HoI3, this reddit comment inspired me to pick it up:
    For one thing, have a look at the HOI3 Wiki.
    Paradox makes a number of games that run in real time but are more like turn-based games. They cover a time line from ~200BC to 1964 (HOI2). HOI3 is their latest and most complicated game. It is a "total strategy" game, which requires you to engage in diplomacy, trade, espionage, research, politics, warfare, etc. Many of these things can be automated partly or completely.
    A typical game of HOI3 would have you pick any country existing in 1936, then build up industry, infrastructure, armies in preparation for war. Research aids in this, and determines which way you want to fight. You could for instance choose to invest heavily in tanks and motorized infantry, to engage in blitzkrieg warfare. Or, you could invest in infantry and artillery and swarm the enemy. Air and naval units add another dimension to this. Countries like Britain, Italy, the US, Japan and Australia rely more on their navy than other countries, while the Soviet Union and China can safely ignore it.
    You can further influence the game with spies and politics, trying to allign yourself to one of the 3 factions (Axis, Allies, ComIntern), influencing elections, disrupting research and production, etc. For instance, you can use propaganda to make Germany look dangerous to the rest of the world, making it less likely that other nations ally with them or even trade with them. Or, as an Axis power, you could influence elections in the US to keep it out of the war. The possibilities are virtually endless.
    Most countries are automatically drawn into the war, either because they are attacked, allied to those attacked, or get events that support offensive action. Once war starts everything slows to a crawl. You really need to have most research done and your armies built, as even a simply infantry division takes months to produce, whereas combat takes place every day.
    It's not everyone's cup of tea but at least it will teach you loads about war and WW2 in specific. :)

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh fantastic, now when I boot up Republic Commando, the screen flickers on and off so I can't see anything

Is your monitor giving up the ghost? (Not even sure if that's the right idiom, but it's a new phrase I learned and like enough to use wrong)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hejog wrote: »
    for those unsure about HoI3, this reddit comment inspired me to pick it up:
    For one thing, have a look at the HOI3 Wiki.
    Paradox makes a number of games that run in real time but are more like turn-based games. They cover a time line from ~200BC to 1964 (HOI2). HOI3 is their latest and most complicated game. It is a "total strategy" game, which requires you to engage in diplomacy, trade, espionage, research, politics, warfare, etc. Many of these things can be automated partly or completely.
    A typical game of HOI3 would have you pick any country existing in 1936, then build up industry, infrastructure, armies in preparation for war. Research aids in this, and determines which way you want to fight. You could for instance choose to invest heavily in tanks and motorized infantry, to engage in blitzkrieg warfare. Or, you could invest in infantry and artillery and swarm the enemy. Air and naval units add another dimension to this. Countries like Britain, Italy, the US, Japan and Australia rely more on their navy than other countries, while the Soviet Union and China can safely ignore it.
    You can further influence the game with spies and politics, trying to allign yourself to one of the 3 factions (Axis, Allies, ComIntern), influencing elections, disrupting research and production, etc. For instance, you can use propaganda to make Germany look dangerous to the rest of the world, making it less likely that other nations ally with them or even trade with them. Or, as an Axis power, you could influence elections in the US to keep it out of the war. The possibilities are virtually endless.
    Most countries are automatically drawn into the war, either because they are attacked, allied to those attacked, or get events that support offensive action. Once war starts everything slows to a crawl. You really need to have most research done and your armies built, as even a simply infantry division takes months to produce, whereas combat takes place every day.
    It's not everyone's cup of tea but at least it will teach you loads about war and WW2 in specific. :)

If you never played a HoI game definetley pick this up.

If you have 2 though - I dont know. Any other HoI veterans out there that share my dislike for 3? Or prove me wrong?

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Is your monitor giving up the ghost? (Not even sure if that's the right idiom, but it's a new phrase I learned and like enough to use wrong)

It's correct.

Check a few other games and see if you're getting the screen flickering.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it's more likely the monitor not being able to output whatever resolution the game is trying to run at

MrDelish on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    So seeing the popcap collection, talk to me about bookworm adventures? Should I get both, or just the 2nd one?

Just get the first one. It is better than 2 because you aren't forced to take companions that you don't need and can't use along and there aren't any bullshit "scramble the whole board" enemies.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    can anyone add me to the PA steam group? steam id: pclark3@mac.com [for some reason steam fails at finding my username: hejog]

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DoD:S is a fantastic game. I love it so much.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok I'm back. New thread incoming in a sec.

EDIT New thread. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=12960515

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My monitor's fine, I just played some borderlands and it was all fine. I didn't fiddle around with the settings at all for KOTOR or Republic Commando and they had been working fine until a few hours ago.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
This discussion has been closed.