As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Package Thief!

SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently, I've had two delivered packages stolen before I could get them - and from what I can tell, they were stolen while inside my condo complex (by who seems to be a little fuck son of a neighbor). I can't prove it was him sadly, but according to other neighbors that have been there for a while, it seems highly likely. There are two issues I have that I need help with:

1) What do I need to do about these lost packages? One was delivered via UPS, the other by the USPS and both have been visually varified by neighbors as having been delivered/arrived to my complex. Neither were all that expensive. Do I need to file a report with the police? UPS? USPS? Hell, one of my neighbors suggested I contact the president of the condo association.

2) If this is the person who I'm thinking of, I was thinking of setting a trap package in an attempt to photographing him in the act, then calling the cops. This doesn't feel like it's completely on the up-and-up though - are there legality issues in doing something like this?

Slagmire on

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1. Report this to the US Postal Inspector Service. Mail theft is a federal crime.
    https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/filecomplaint.aspx

OR:
    1. Obtain a box that looks valuable (Newegg, Amazon, etc.)
    2. Poop in said box.
    3. Add a note stating "Stop stealing my shit" to the inside.
    4. Leave box where it will be stolen.

Bonus points for adding a spring release mechanism.

illig on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There are no legal hurdles to surveillance in a place where he has no expectation of privacy, i.e. a public hallway.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1) I would imagine going to the police will be the most useful step. Stealing mail is a felony, I believe. You can try the shipping companies, but I'm not sure how much help they can be since they basically fulfilled their obligation by delivering it/them.

2) No idea about legality. Might depend where you live.

Is the thread title a Superchunk reference or a coincidence? :P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    illig wrote: »
    1. Report this to the US Postal Inspector Service. Mail theft is a federal crime.

OR:
    2. Poop in said box.

Get something like a key locator that makes a loud ass noise, preferably when you push a button. So you can put it in a box and send it to yourself. Then when it arives and is gone, knock on their door, push the button, and if you hear the noise inside tell them to stop stealing your shit.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    1) I would imagine going to the police will be the most useful step. Stealing mail is a felony, I believe. You can try the shipping companies, but I'm not sure how much help they can be since they basically fulfilled their obligation by delivering it/them.

lol - it's coincidence, but I googled it after you brought it up. Doesn't sound bad ;)
    Buttcleft wrote:
    Get something like a key locator that makes a loud ass noise, preferably when you push a button. So you can put it in a box and send it to yourself. Then when it arives and is gone, knock on their door, push the button, and if you hear the noise inside tell them to stop stealing your shit.

Ooooohhhh... very, very clever. I'll have to do some research on that. :)

Slagmire on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    illig wrote: »

OR:
    2. Poop in said box.

Deer urine would work better with a spring loaded mechanism.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was in the exact same situation a couple years ago. The police will likely not do shit, although you want to file a report anyway. Tell your landlord, if you know him personally. He can help you out. (He got the son of a bitch evicted when I let him know about my problem).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stealing undelivered mail is a felony.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think going into someone's mailbox equivalent and fucking with their mail is still a felony.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stealing undelivered mail is a felony.
    Opening anything not addressed to you is a felony. As is removing mail not addressed to you from a mailbox that doesn't belong to you.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    While the poop-in-a-box strategy is my favorite so far, if whatever scheme you come up with doesn't work I think you can have your local post office hold the mail.

Do the kid's parents know?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ceres wrote: »
    While the poop-in-a-box strategy is my favorite so far, if whatever scheme you come up with doesn't work I think you can have your local post office hold the mail.

Do the kid's parents know?

The "kid" is apparently at least 18 and while she claims she doesn't know about it, the issues with this kid and his mom are varied - she's kicked him out a couple times, but somehow manages to get back in. Not only this, I've seen this kid sleeping in the hallway a couple times (not for a year now) and another neighbor says this kid has definitely broken into another condo before it was sold (known - no charges filed for some stupid reason) and another that is currently vacant (implied only).

As for my planning strats - I've found a couple battery powered smoke detectors with a remote for testing. While the key finder is an interesting idea, my fear is that it'll not be loud enough. A smoke detector on the other hand...

Slagmire on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What you should do but probably shouldnt due to legality:

Put on a skimask and mudstomp the "kid" next time you see him sleeping in the hallway.

How bout a dye pack that will pop in the kids face. (wouldnt know where to get those)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This requires a post on your resolution when it comes.

Sipex on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you can afford and find one... get a leaping spider and leave it out in a box.

I heard of someone who pulled this gag on someone else... the victim was so freaked he tried to shoot the spider (went to jail for weapons charges so the story goes). Just make sure it's big enough it can't get under anyone's door.

You'll probably face some charges yourself if you try it, but goddamn... that's how you get revenge.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

lol - it's coincidence, but I googled it after you brought it up. Doesn't sound bad ;)
    Buttcleft wrote:

Ooooohhhh... very, very clever. I'll have to do some research on that. :)

Alternately: I believe Microsoft Streets comes with a little GPS locator thing to stick on your car. Could mail yourself the gps locator and follow it, though I'd advise you to hide it inside a product that they would want to keep otherwise they'll just throw out the box. Also dont forget to make sure the box has some weight to it.

Hmmm, the old version of streets just had a chip you could stick to your car (no idea how it is powered or if it'd actually work), the new one seems to have a usb stick you'd need to attach to a laptop. Scratch that my idea probably won't work.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had a similar problem once, I went the "noisy" revenge route.

At my old work, we used to sell these sort of sonic alert things. Basically it was a small grenade shaped object with a pin. When you removed the pin, it emitted an extremely high pitched alarm sound that doesn't shut off until the pin is replaced. I believe they were originally intended as rape whistles or something.

Anyways, I had some stupid fucking old man stealing my packages. I knew it was him because I saw him toss out the box for my package once, and when I called him on it he raised hell with the strata council saying I was harassing a senior. I was well liked in the building so the charge didn't stick, but I couldn't get the old fuck either. So revenge it was.

I got one of the sonic emitters (or as I started calling them, Sonic Grenades), and deliberately broke the pin so that it couldn't be replaced (except by me of course), put it in a box and rigged it so when the package was opened, the pin would be pulled out and wouldn't be able to be replaced. Stuck all the traditional packaging on it and put it in the mailroom where packages usually get left.

Later I come home to find a bunch of angry residents yelling at the Land lord and the beautiful sound of high pitched alarm bells filling the building. Apparently the ringing had been going on for hours and people were getting really pissed (why no one just took apart the stupid thing is beyond me, but whatever). The old guy was just standing there looking guilty, but he did flash a glare at me long enough for me to smirk back.

I guess he didn't like that as he starts yelling about how it was my package and how I'm mailing bombs and I'm a terrorist who hates old people, to which I calmly responded: "If it was my package, why were you opening it?" before laughing in his face and casually moving on.

He got evicted and charged, he tried to get the cops to arrest me for mailing bombs or whatever but the cops just hit me with a mischief misdemeanor and then dropped that later.

The best thing about it is that none of the other residents think I had anything to do with it, they all believe that "nasty old man" was just trying to get out of trouble by blaming me.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Best story ever.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sonic Emitters?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My terminology wasn't very good.

Basically, just picture a regular frag grenade. Once you pull the pin, its active. Only instead of fire and shrapnel, the sonic grenade emits a high pitched alarm sound.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm 90% positive that once mail is delievered it's not illegal for anyone to open it.
    Delivered parcels are theft.
    I'm not sure about the mailbox thing but I suspect you're right about that.
    Mailboxes are federal, three years max. I know this because a friend of mine back in high school attempted mailbox baseball.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    why don't you just get a PO box or have your packages delivered to the post office and pick them up later?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    why don't you just get a PO box or have your packages delivered to the post office and pick them up later?
    A pretty significant number of shippers won't ship to a PO box. I have one for a website I run but I often still have to get things shipped to my house especially if FedEX is the preferred shipment method of a business.

etdragon on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm 90% positive that once mail is delievered it's not illegal for anyone to open it.

Oh, I'm not saying taking something isn't illegal. I'm saying that if you get a piece of mail put in your hands by the post office, you can open it. I didn't mean to imply you get to keep whatever goodies you find.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Oh, I'm not saying taking something isn't illegal. I'm saying that if you get a piece of mail put in your hands by the post office, you can open it. I didn't mean to imply you get to keep whatever goodies you find.

The day I get a piece of misdirected mail worth opening instead of tearing up in a fit of bank spam hating rage, I'll post about it.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

There's no reason why this guy should have to do anything just because some stupid kid keeps stealing his mail. I like the poop in a box idea, and I like the loud noise emitter.

I think that the key ingredient that you need for this project is something that can be triggered remotely, while still remaining small enough that it can be concealed. That, or a skunk.
    Actually, to think of it, I like the skunk idea.

1) Punk picks up box, probably shakes it a bit
    2) Said punk takes the box into his room
    3) Box gets opened, skunk is angry and proceeds to spray all over his room.
    Also, you don't need to worry about the skunk firing at you (well, you do, but once it gets in the box you're safe). So now all you need is a skunk. And a box.

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

No, you can't. You either write "return to sender: not at this address" or something similar on it and stick it back in your mailbox, or you take it to the post office and tell them they delivered it to you by mistake. It is a crime to open mail that is not addressed to you, even if you're only opening it to "find out who it belongs to" or something similar. That's the post office's job.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

No, you can't. You either write "return to sender: not at this address" or something similar on it and stick it back in your mailbox, or you take it to the post office and tell them they delivered it to you by mistake. It is a crime to open mail that is not addressed to you, even if you're only opening it to "find out who it belongs to" or something similar. That's the post office's job.

This doesn't work with spam. Commercial bulk rate mail is (to the advantage of the postal service and to the sender) generally one way only (first class can be returned, cheaper rates usually can't be), they won't take it back, and if you try to make them take it back more often then not you'll see it again tomorrow.

Which is why it's best to open it, check if there's a prepaid envelop, and if there is, tear up everything else, put it in the prepaid envelope, and send it. They'll get the message plain enough.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Make it a box full of bees.

Man, I laugh at just the thought of that.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 83--POSTAL SERVICE

Sec. 1702. Obstruction of correspondence

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post
    office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter
    or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized
    depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it
    has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed
    , with design to
    obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of
    another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be
    fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Note the bolded. If you find a piece of mail that's been delivered and the person in question leaves it hanging around, you can open it. I guess the definition of "delivered" is the question here.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    NatsusNatsus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

PART I--CRIMES

, with design to

Note the bolded. If you find a piece of mail that's been delivered and the person in question leaves it hanging around, you can open it. I guess the definition of "delivered" is the question here.

You beat me to it but what GothicLargo said was incorrect.

Natsus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Natsus wrote: »

So... my address, not my name, old occupant. You're saying it needs to be returned.

I am saying I have had this fight with my postmaster. I bring in a pile of junk mail to my address but not my name and say "return this frak, your driver isn't taking it out of the box even though I've told him to face to face". Postmaster says to just pitch it. I say to the postmaster, "no, return it so they'll stop sending it." Postmaster says "it's bulk rate, you'll have to pay for a first class stamp to return it. Just throw it out."

Explain please?

(This is not a small problem, I get about a shoebox worth of trash mail a month intended for old occupants.)

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

So... my address, not my name, old occupant. You're saying it needs to be returned.

I am saying I have had this fight with my postmaster. I bring in a pile of junk mail to my address but not my name and say "return this frak, your driver isn't taking it out of the box even though I've told him to face to face". Postmaster says to just pitch it. I say to the postmaster, "no, return it so they'll stop sending it." Postmaster says "it's bulk rate, you'll have to pay for a first class stamp to return it. Just throw it out."

Explain please?

(This is not a small problem, I get about a shoebox worth of trash mail a month intended for old occupants.)

What I coded in red above is what is incorrect. If the postmaster said to junk it then junk it. In general you write return to sender and put it in your mailbox. There's not much you can do about junkmail but that's a separate matter.

Natsus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What I coded in red above is what is incorrect. If the postmaster said to junk it then junk it. In general you write return to sender and put it in your mailbox. There's not much you can do about junkmail but that's a separate matter.

AH. Ok...

"Delivered parcels are theft."

Context: Oh hey, look a box on the neighbor's porch. And a newspaper too, cool. Yonk.

Theft.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

AH. Ok...

"Delivered parcel is theft."

Context: Oh hey, look a box on the neighbor's porch. And a newspaper too, cool. Yonk.

Theft.

I don't really want to argue this with you but you wrote, "if you get a piece of mail put in your hands by the post office, you can open it". That is not the same as taking something from a neighbor's porch.

Besides, yes it IS Theft, whether it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE is what was being argued.

Edit: OP talk to your association about it. They hate that kind of stuff and they will definitely help you out. Maybe other people have reported the same problem as well.

Natsus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

PART I--CRIMES

, with design to

No, you can't? It doesn't belong to you. Before it's delivered, it belongs to the USPS. After it's delivered it belongs to the person it's addressed to. If it's mistakenly delivered to someone it's not addressed to, it hasn't been delivered to the person it was intended for. In all 3 situations, the mail is legally not your property, and is a crime for you to tamper with. If you find an unopened package addressed to someone who isn't you laying on the sidewalk, it still either belongs to the USPS or the addressee, and aside from leaving it alone your only option is to take it back to the post office, take it to the police, or take it to the address on the label. You. Are. Not. Allowed. To. Open. Mail. Addressed. To. Someone. Else.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Augh, this happened once to me now that I think about it except the guy was a nice, honest guy...he was just schizophrenic. He'd often return anything he accidentally picked up of mine after finding it ontop of his fridge a couple weeks after receiving it. I'm glad my bills were all online.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

PART I--CRIMES

, with design to

You. Are. Not. Allowed. To. Open. Mail. Addressed. To. Someone. Else.

The US code I quoted doesn't specifically say that.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

PART I--CRIMES

, with design to

You. Are. Not. Allowed. To. Open. Mail. Addressed. To. Someone. Else.

The US code I quoted doesn't specifically say that.
    That's because you didn't quote the right one.

PART I--CRIMES

Sec. 1703. Delay or destruction of mail or newspapers

(a) Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, unlawfully
    secretes, destroys, detains, delays, or opens any letter, postal card,
    package, bag, or mail entrusted to him or which shall come into his
    possession, and which was intended to be conveyed by mail, or carried or
    delivered by any carrier or other employee of the Postal Service, or
    forwarded through or delivered from any post office or station thereof
    established by authority of the Postmaster General or the Postal
    Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
    five years, or both.
    (b) Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, improperly
    detains, delays, or destroys any newspaper, or permits any other person
    to detain, delay, or destroy the same, or opens, or permits any other
    person to open, any mail or package of newspapers not directed to the
    office where he is employed; or
    Whoever, without authority, opens, or destroys any mail or package
    of newspapers not directed to him, shall be fined under this title or
    imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

AH. Ok...

"Delivered parcel is theft."

Theft.

I don't really want to argue this with you but you wrote, "if you get a piece of mail put in your hands by the post office, you can open it". That is not the same as taking something from a neighbor's porch.

Besides, yes it IS Theft, whether it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE is what was being argued.

Edit: OP talk to your association about it. They hate that kind of stuff and they will definitely help you out. Maybe other people have reported the same problem as well.

Gothic didn't write that - Iceman did.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.