As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ch chch ch chchch NEWS chchch chch ch ch

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Social Entropy++
i was walking down a desolate financial street this evening - not past 10pm - when i saw neat stacks of tomorrow's newspapers in front of a newsagent which would not open for another eight hours

it made me think - who reads a physical paper anymore?

npindy.jpg

to have been written to be edited to be typeset to be printed to be distributed by ten at night, how fresh can tomorrow's news possibly be? or is it worth it to see those delicious critical reviews and political essays in the flesh?

have you abandoned it completely for the digital age of instant, rss fed updates? as-it-happens news, full of typos and bad html code and dodgy copy-paste journalism?

or do you go for the middle ground and grab the free commuter rag on the way home, with it's reuters and associated press and imdb.com sources, sacrificing unique journalism for the most googled articles of the day yet still having the raw nerve to put in a cryptic crossword? like it means something? you horrible, horrible, person?

i only watch the international channel's bolivian news hour at 4am

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    whenever I read a newspaper all I see are articles about stuff I had read on the internet a day earlier

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    newspaper sales are directly influenced by silly putty sales

save the putty
    save the print

potatoe on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whenever I read the newspaper that I find on my neighbors doorstep every morning, all I see are articles of obituaries that haven't happened yet but will in a week.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Newspaper mama
    Newspaper mama
    Newspaper mama
    Ev-er-y day

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    of all the things i hoped for in this thread

i never dreamt of a peter combe reference

i love you, mister fuzzbutt

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the newspapers got the good tv guide

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a subscription to a newspaper, but it is pretty worthless, so I'm gonna stop having it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    pshhhhh... internet, right?

Iskander on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read the newspaper and eat the same cereal at breakfast nearly every day

sometimes I read things other than the comics

L|ama on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Washington post is my paper. I like having it for breakfast and long poop breaks. I go sports, then main news page, style section, then metro. Business section goes straight to the recycling bin. I also like going through the ads and coupons that come with the Sunday paper

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited December 2009
    I barely ever look at business/finance and sports sections, mostly the local news and perspectives on international stuff

L|ama on
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    sometimes i read the opinions page because i feel the need to read bad opinions that are not on the internet

Shifty Fister on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love having a real newspaper on Sunday, especially if I'm nursing a hangover at a diner. Love me the paper, y'all.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    sometimes i read the opinions page because i feel the need to read bad opinions that are not on the internet

oh man the hone harawira letters to the editor were hilarious
    ABLOO BLOO US OPPRESSED MIDDLE CLASS WHITE MALES

oh and some shit for brains actually got a bit about climate change published that cited a study from the journal of economic policy or something like that as his proof that it was right, and kept implying that 'the smarter among us have always known that global warming isn't real'

L|ama on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read the real paper when it's lying around at breakfast. Occasionally I'll buy one on a Sunday. If I'm traveling I always get an Economist (or, these days, sometimes a Mother Jones.) But mostly I'm an online gal.

I would die without the news, pretty much. It terrifies me that it's going under.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited December 2009
    L|ama wrote: »

oh and some shit for brains actually got a bit about climate change published that cited a study from the journal of economic policy or something like that as his proof that it was right, and kept implying that 'the smarter among us have always known that global warming isn't real'

yes see nz newspapers are awful and so their opinion pages are something to behold

personally i think hone harawira is a national hero and white people need to shut the fuck up about it

Shifty Fister on
    edited December 2009
    neh

most papers are a pain in the butt to read on the train. i like the new compact papers some are doing because you don't disturb the people next to you by constantly expanding your arms like an idiot and rustling with the paper

still prefer just reading a news feed on the iphone though. during breakfast and on the toilet as well.

Iskander on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only read newspapers for the tits.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The local newspaper only puts snippets of the good articles online. There's no way I'm paying any amount of cents every day for the 1-2 articles that are worth reading.

The other local newspaper covers the same things, has better writers, and puts the full things online.

MKR on
    edited December 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I only read newspapers for the tits.

ha ha england

yes see nz newspapers are awful and so their opinion pages are something to behold

personally i think hone harawira is a national hero and white people need to shut the fuck up about it

I want him to get some kind of medal

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    seriously, that and that whole protest about the antismacking referendum has given me so much in terms of being able to gauge how fucking retarded the people i know are

Shifty Fister on
    edited December 2009
    In fact I am pooping and reading the news right now while making post. Let's see you do that with your paper news on paper!

Iskander on
    edited December 2009
    HOW DARE YOU REMOVE THE ABILITY TO CALL BASHING MY KIDS REASONABLE?

TOUGHER SENTENCES FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS!

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    Air wrote: »
    the newspapers got the good tv guide

There's an internet right there. AOL's TV guide is remarkably decent. It's a thing AOL has done right in the last decade.

MKR on
    edited December 2009

Making them use semicolons correctly.

MKR on
    edited December 2009
    HOW DARE YOU REMOVE THE ABILITY TO CALL BASHING MY KIDS REASONABLE?

rodney hide is the last hope for new zealand but those fuckin liberal shits will never let him be :cry:

Shifty Fister on
    edited December 2009
    ah yes bringing back roger douglas, the finest economic genius in the history of the country.

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    I read the real paper when it's lying around at breakfast. Occasionally I'll buy one on a Sunday. If I'm traveling I always get an Economist (or, these days, sometimes a Mother Jones.) But mostly I'm an online gal.

I would die without the news, pretty much. It terrifies me that it's going under.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I had to look up Hone Harawira, but by the power of greyskull, that guy is fantastic!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Print is dead.
    14270.gif

NotASenator on
    edited December 2009
    celandine wrote: »

How is the news going under?

MKR on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

Wait, isn't wog a rather racist term?

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read the paper at work when it's there during the pep rally they do to start the shift and at lunch
    I do find the monthly DWI insert interesting due to the number of people I recognize coming into work to buy beer

I do find it annoying when I read about something online days to weeks before it's in the paper

Brainleech on
    edited December 2009
    There's a local legend about a monster called The Wog.

MKR on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

Wait, isn't wog a rather racist term?

It was Raw news
    No time for editing on news this edgey

Brainleech on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wog means darky!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »

How is the news going under?

Most terrifying recent item: Washington Post cut its national staff (Chicago, LA, etc.)

Various things to panic over: too much opinion, not enough reportage; the political-entertainment complex; what happens to corruption if nobody covers the town hall beat; what happens to my glamorous journalist friends if they can't spend their days shouting "Sweetie, get me rewrite"; what happens to democracy when the people are uninformed.

End times, baby. End times.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    edited December 2009
    This is a mildly progressive place, so I doubt anyone is aware of the slang version of the word. It's probably an elaborate, decades-long prank.

MKR on