As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naked Mole [chat]s: They Look Kinda Like Dicks

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i want to go into publishing something fierce
    So you can churn out shit books for the Oprah and in-need-of-self-help crowd?

Have you heard of the book How I Became A Famous Novelist? If you're interested in publishing, I'd highly recommend it. Pretty much just a straight satire with only a touch of heart hidden within, but still really, really funny.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    also I got into the london study abroad program yessssssss

terrorist fist jab

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ah yes podly doesn't own a tv because looking at it is mindless, that's all

I play video games on my massive TV. And sometimes stream movies.

I also watch, like, presidential addresses and the news during political season.

I don't think my use of my TV really fits into Podly's concept of TV problems.

Then again, maybe he is anti-video game these days.

Eh, I tend to play mah vidya games on the computer. When I get my own place I only plan on having cable internet, rather than cable TV, since all the crap I watch is online anyway. That being the case I may not own a TV afterwards either.

I prefer console vidja these days, and my Mac isn't really friendly for external signal input. Plus the screen isn't really big enough to watch comfortably from the couch.

Otherwise it is a pretty decent idea. I tried it a few years ago during a "simplify my life" thing with a tv-in toshiba laptop, but really the moment had not arrived for a unity device.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did you guys go to rich schools or something? That the American public school system hasn't left you folk jaded as hell is surprising considering how much you guys in general bitch about it. The Canadian system is shit too (though I can only speak for Ontario). Which is why, y'know, my feelings regarding school are far from positive.

That doesn't make learning random new stuff any less fun. Plus, if I could manage to get a free MBA from U of Chicago thanks to working there I'd be a fool not to.

There are ways to learn random new things that don't involve going to school. Less expensive and time consuming ways.

What is less expensive than free? And my time is worthless.

Not to mention the fact that you can't capitalize economically on knowing things unless there is certification to back it up.

moniker on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009

Congrats Eddy!

England is fun.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Duncan is like Gandalf... Take the magic away from Gandalf, and the specific "Grey Warden" bit from Duncan, and they're like the same character. The traveling badass who everyone knows or knows of.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

I have a friend who is studying abroad at Herstmonceux Castle. I am so so so jealous of her.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Something something uncut blood sausage

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You better not hit on the Queen of England. Quid and I have a deal.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Duncan is like Gandalf... Take the magic away from Gandalf, and the specific "Grey Warden" bit from Duncan, and they're like the same character. The traveling badass who everyone knows or knows of.

Man spoilers James.

Thanatos is waiting for Lord of the Rings (the novel) to drop in price to a nickel before he picks it up. You are totally ruining this gandalf thing for him.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You better not hit on the Queen of England. Quid and I have a deal.

If Casual Eddy goes to London, that would make him a Queen of England.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Have you heard of the book How I Became A Famous Novelist? If you're interested in publishing, I'd highly recommend it. Pretty much just a straight satire with only a touch of heart hidden within, but still really, really funny.

hopefully not! I've been interning for a small company in chapel hill and i've enjoyed it. I've minored in creative writing and I've discovered it's more fun to judge people's writing than write myself.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I will for sure hang out with bongi!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, if I ordered a futon mattress online... exactly how would it get here?

Would there be like a tag from UPS or something? Would they drop the thing off at my doorstep while I was at work?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    So, if I ordered a futon mattress from online... exactly how would it get here?

Would there be like a tag from UPS or something? Would they drop the thing off at my doorstep while I was at work?

Something that large would probably only be shipped to your closest UPS outlet where you'd have to pick it up, I'd imagine.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

hopefully not! I've been interning for a small company in chapel hill and i've enjoyed it. I've minored in creative writing and I've discovered it's more fun to judge people's writing than write myself.
    I mean fight the good fight, I support your dream, but it does increasingly seem to me that really loving literature is a lonely thing these days.

• Options
    edited December 2009
    So, if I ordered a futon mattress online... exactly how would it get here?

Did you order it with or without the body rolled up inside?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I mean fight the good fight, I support your dream, but it does increasingly seem to me that really loving literature is a lonely thing these days.

I think that more people are writing books than reading them these days.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    descoladadescolada Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So when looking up a medication I was recently prescribed I came across this wiki entry: Tower of Silence
    To preclude the pollution of earth or fire (see Zam and Atar respectively), the bodies of the dead are placed atop a tower—a tower of silence—and so exposed to the sun and to birds of prey. Thus, "putrefaction with all its concomitant evils" "is most effectually prevented.
    In the past several decades, the population of birds of prey on the Indian subcontinent has declined by 99.9% (as of 2008) primarily due to diclofenac poisoning of the birds following the introduction of that drug for livestock in the 1990s[5] (diclofenac for cattle was banned by the Indian government in 2006). The few surviving birds are often unable to fully consume the bodies.[6] Parsi communities in India are currently evaluating captive breeding of vultures and the use of "solar concentrators" (which are essentially large mirrors) to accelerate decomposition.[7] Some have been forced to resort to burial, as the solar collectors work only in clear weather. Vultures formerly disposed of a body in minutes, and no other method has proved fully effective.

I generally don't think about how I want my body disposed of, and encouraging vultures to feast on it certainly hasn't crossed my mind. It certainly seems very eco-friendly I suppose.

descolada on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

Something that large would probably only be shipped to your closest UPS outlet where you'd have to pick it up, I'd imagine.

Perfect.

Because I don't want that damned thing left on my doorstep.

How many days do you usually have to retrieve that kind of thing?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the hell are you taking?! :)

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Did you order it with or without the body rolled up inside?

The body that's it's for rolling won't be here until Christmas.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Perfect.

Because I don't want that damned thing left on my doorstep.

How many days do you usually have to retrieve that kind of thing?

I want to say at least a couple. Might be worth calling and finding out, though.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, a couple of CoD-MW2 matches now, but if I get shot a lot, I'm totally quitting.

• Options
    edited December 2009

I don't think so. My bosses both gave me the advice that an editor should go with a book they like rather than a book they think will make money. Of course there are exceptions like Palin's monstrous book but most of the books algonquin publishes seem to be commercial fiction with elements of literary fiction

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did you guys go to rich schools or something? That the American public school system hasn't left you folk jaded as hell is surprising considering how much you guys in general bitch about it. The Canadian system is shit too (though I can only speak for Ontario). Which is why, y'know, my feelings regarding school are far from positive.

That doesn't make learning random new stuff any less fun. Plus, if I could manage to get a free MBA from U of Chicago thanks to working there I'd be a fool not to.

There are ways to learn random new things that don't involve going to school. Less expensive and time consuming ways.

What is less expensive than free? And my time is worthless.

Not to mention the fact that you can't capitalize economically on knowing things unless there is certification to back it up.

There are careers out there that, at entry level, don't require any kind of certification. Knowledge acquired is useful when you've got that certification to prove it, but it's also useful when you've got a portfolio or work experience. Sometimes that means more.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WHY IS THE GIFT OPTION GREYED OUT WHEN I'M IN CAMP

THE TOOLTIP THING SAID CAMP WAS THE BEST TIME TO GET TO KNOW PEOPLE BETTER WHICH I ASSUME MEANS GIVING GIFTS

HOW DO I GIVE GIFTS

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read books

or more accurately, I watch movies that were books

Elendil on
  • Options
    descoladadescolada Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the hell are you taking?! :)

Diclofenac, the same drug they gave cows which then led to all the vultures dying off apparently.

descolada on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I want to say at least a couple. Might be worth calling and finding out, though.

Looks like it's up to five days.

And there's a UPS store like a ten minute walk from here.

So this should all work out.

Yay, I get to have a bed hopefully just in time to Christen it. :winky:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    I read books

what is your opinion of Wordsworth

because I revisited a few of his poems today, and I realized that rarely do I have any idea what he's talking about

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scott Kurtz is pretty good at acting like a humongous ass. Imagine that.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

:?:

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

:?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcH3-6YWjLk

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

THE TOOLTIP THING SAID CAMP WAS THE BEST TIME TO GET TO KNOW PEOPLE BETTER WHICH I ASSUME MEANS GIVING GIFTS

HOW DO I GIVE GIFTS

You give them from the Inventory screen when the character is in your party (so you can't in camp since you aren't in a party).

Inventory for the character you want to give to, and then it's the same as using an item.

Chanus on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I read books

You should know, the erotic adaptations you've been watching don't really match up with the source material.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I read books

what is your opinion of Wordsworth

because I revisited a few of his poems today, and I realized that rarely do I have any idea what he's talking about
    his words aren't worth the paper they're printed on

I'm not really familiar with him

Elendil on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

HOW DO I GIVE GIFTS

You give them from the Inventory screen when the character is in your party (so you can't in camp since you aren't in a party).

Inventory for the character you want to give to, and then it's the same as using an item.
    so i can't give gifts in camp

GRAR

I WANT TO BONE MORRIGAN NOW

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, a couple of CoD-MW2 matches now, but if I get shot a lot, I'm totally quitting.

The object of the game is to get shot.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.