As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iTunes Podcast Syncronization

GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the setup.
One work computer, OS X
One home computer, Windows.
No iPod (I have one, I just don't use it for podcasts).

I want to have my podcast subscriptions synced (hopefully automatically) between the two computers, retaining the read/unread (listened/not listened) information on individual podcast files. So if I subscribe to a new podcast on one computer the other will automagically also get that subscription. I figured iTunes might do something as trivial as this since I have an account set up on it but I can't seem to find anything in the default interface.

Ideally what would happen is that if I download and then listen to a podcast on my home computer it would then not be downloaded on the work computer and vice versa. Hey, you already listened to this file on another computer, no need to download it! Amazing! Seems like such a simple concept in my mind that I'm confused that it doesn't exist in the default iTunes interface (unless I'm dumb and can't find it.)

More realistically I understand if both computers still download the file, but the 'read' state would be kept so I don't have to jump through any manual hoops to figure out what I have and haven't already listened to.

I do have a dropbox account that may help keep things in sync across both computers and I have complete control over the work computer. I'm not averse to any 3rd party software that I might need to install on either computer but I was hoping for a free solution.

I suppose I could also switch to another podcast subscribing tool besides iTunes if I need to but I kind of like iTunes for browsing for podcasts.

GogoKodo on

• Options
    -AKIRA--AKIRA- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could download the trial of TuneRanger and see if that will work for you. I don't know if it will, but it may, it's got quite a few features. If you end up buying it, you can google for discount codes and such, there's usually several deals through the company that puts it out.

-AKIRA- on