As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Now that I have the 40 FMJ kills on the ACR I don't think I'll use FMJ for quite a while... I think I racked up 200+ kills to get those 40 penetration kills

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Now that I have the 40 FMJ kills on the ACR I don't think I'll use FMJ for quite a while... I think I racked up 200+ kills to get those 40 penetration kills

Same. The only purpose they serve is to get extended magazines.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Personally I don't even think i'll use extended mags, I just wanted Mastery really

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Personally I don't even think i'll use extended mags, I just wanted Mastery really

It comes in real handy for the SCAR-H , brings it to a 30 bullet mag as opposed to 20 so you don't have to reload every fight.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can see myself being very happy with an ACOG/RDS and extended mag SCAR bling build.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Same here, I love Scavenger + ACOG, so I don't really have any use for the extended mags.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's a point, actually. Scavenger Pro picks up more rounds in any case, so it makes more sense to run that and refill grenades at the same time.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sorry I didn't accept your invites Wolfslap I was playing with some friends that were new to the game and im fairly sure you don't speak Spanish =/

I always feel bad... whenever Wolfslap invites me, I'm playing with coworkers or friends. But then when none of my friends are online, no one from the forums invites me and I'm all "where the fuck is everyone god damn this sucks these people are assholes wtfomgbbq1111"

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I can see myself being very happy with an ACOG/RDS and extended mag SCAR bling build.

The irons for the SCAR are perfect it doesn't need no fancy optics.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't accept your invites Wolfslap I was playing with some friends that were new to the game and im fairly sure you don't speak Spanish =/

I always feel bad... whenever Wolfslap invites me, I'm playing with coworkers or friends. But then when none of my friends are online, no one from the forums invites me and I'm all "where the fuck is everyone god damn this sucks these people are assholes wtfomgbbq1111"

I usually DO play with him and the others is just that I was really just there to talk. Played three games and then just hung out in party chat.
    Drakeon wrote: »

Same here, I love Scavenger + ACOG, so I don't really have any use for the extended mags.

Extended magazines doesn't give any ammo . It just makes the magazine larger which helps the SCAR a lot since it has the tiniest magazine of any assault rifle. In my current build I use both extended and scavenger and it really does help against multiple enemy's since you dont have to reload as often.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if I wanted to be hardcore I'd be playing Armed Assault.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Juggernauts only appear on the after-credits mission, and having not played SpecOps, I was really confused by these guys in suits showing up all of a sudden.

There is an After-Credits mission? What?!

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sceptre wrote: »

Juggernauts only appear on the after-credits mission, and having not played SpecOps, I was really confused by these guys in suits showing up all of a sudden.

There is an After-Credits mission? What?!

The museum. If you press the "do not press " button all of the displays come alive and try to kill you.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't get excited, its just the museum stage where they put all these different weapons in display cases and show off NPCs from each level including some NPCs that didn't actually show up in the initial game, like the juggernauts or a US Army Ranger who carries a riot shield. As a fun thing to do, IW added a small red button to a desk that brings the enemies alive in that room. Kinda fun to have 50 people or so charge you. :P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apparently when you use the Free Month of LIVE card they give you when MS has to fix your Xbox it completely negates you regular pay plan. Went to get back into a match and fucking thing almost gave me a heart attack saying I couldn't play.

Game related has anyone got the Veteran III titles for any guns? I'm just going to assume it's another reskin of the regular weapon titles.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So did they send out their update for the PC version? Steam is not telling me anything and Bowling's twitter feed is a royal cluster fuck of stupid fucking tweets.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Apparently when you use the Free Month of LIVE card they give you when MS has to fix your Xbox it completely negates you regular pay plan. Went to get back into a match and fucking thing almost gave me a heart attack saying I couldn't play.

Game related has anyone got the Veteran III titles for any guns? I'm just going to assume it's another reskin of the regular weapon titles.

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Callsigns

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So did they send out their update for the PC version? Steam is not telling me anything and Bowling's twitter feed is a royal cluster fuck of stupid fucking tweets.

I got some fairly short update process but no new notes. Maybe then?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Callsigns

Too much work. Thanks.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, not wanting to touch off any possible powder kegs, how is the multiplayer on PC? I see only a handful of people in the OP listed for the PC version. I held off picking this up, since I was wary about their matchmaking. Is it any good, or am I better off not taking the plunge?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holee sheet. I just got off a 4-hour binge (first time playing ever) with this thing and all I can say is WOW.

I had to mute my headset so I could hear the environment over the tards, but still. Damn. I haven't had this much fun with an fps in a while. Grinded out the knife build, then when on a muthafucka shanking spree. Awesome.

Next project, earning my AUG. Too little time, so many fucking games to play. Oh, and I'll try and add all the xbl ppl to my friends list so I can start getting murdered by PAers.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, not wanting to touch off any possible powder kegs, how is the multiplayer on PC? I see only a handful of people in the OP listed for the PC version. I held off picking this up, since I was wary about their matchmaking. Is it any good, or am I better off not taking the plunge?

My advice is for you to wait for the first major patch from IW.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Who the fuck thought that akimbo 1887s are balanced in any way? What thought process brought this about? Did they even test it at all? It's getting so annoying that I'm ready to quit out of a match as soon as someone starts using them.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hahah, I just went 1-34. I'm beginning to think this game requires more time than I can give it, playing once weekly doesn't seem to work.

Fats on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Who the fuck thought that akimbo 1887s are balanced in any way? What thought process brought this about? Did they even test it at all? It's getting so annoying that I'm ready to quit out of a match as soon as someone starts using them.

Surely IW could not go wrong with their excellent balance? I mean, people screwing with their balance is one of the key reasons that dedicated servers were bad!

Edit: More seriously, I have no fucking idea how they could have missed things as obvious as the 1887s and the knife builds.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got the Grassy Knoll medal before, which is most time prone. But I got the title after quitting a match halfway through, when the only thing I'd really done was get a few kills and have that sting pop up.

I imagine it'll be for x number of headshots with any sniper, but that was the one I got it with.

50 One-shot kills with sniper rifles, so it doesn't need to be headshots.

And I'll hop on sometime soon to recieve any clan invites, not sure if I'll get in to any matches today, we'll see how it goes.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just a heads-up to all the snipers out there. I can see you. It's not your ghillie suit, that blends right in. It's your gear. Namely...

Camo scheme - Woodland is usually your best bet. But I still keep picking up Desert camo rifles off dead snipers who don't know better. The problem is, the colors in Desert camo don't contrast enough to break up the profile, so you don't look like a clump of dead grass and leaves, you look like a clump of dead grass and leaves with a sniper rifle sticking out of it.

Raffica - Nice backup gun. But when you're crouched in a firing position with your rifle equipped, the Raffica's stock is waving around in the air like a radio antenna. May I humbly suggest the Glock instead? It has a smaller profile and doesn't give you away even to enemies running right past your position, since the two-tone finish breaks up the profile nicely.

Claymores and C4 - Granted, this is only a problem if somebody flanks you or runs past you, but I've done that enough times to pick off a lot of unwary snipers. When you have a Claymore equipped, it sits right over your ass, a big noticeable slab of OD Green. And it doesn't go away once you plant your Claymore, oddly. C4 is even easier to spot, it looks like you strapped an unopened Christmas present onto your belt. A good way to deal with this is, spawn with a Springboard class, using One Man Army. Plant your Claymore, then switch to your sniper class with different equipment and go blend into the terrain.

Depending on your sniping style, this may not be all that important. But if you operate close to the enemy, or you tend to live a long time, and find the spawn zones shifting around you, it can save your life.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm installing PC version now. My steam tag is Mind Liberator, so invite me if you're on.

MindLib on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MindLib wrote: »
    I'm installing PC version now. My steam tag is Mind Liberator, so invite me if you're on.

Want that in the OP?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Want that in the OP?

NO HE OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU ASK YOU INSENSITIVE ASSHOLE.

The AK-47 with no attachments is an utter beast.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Want that in the OP?

BECAUSE I'M TIRED AND ANNOYED AND YOU ARE ALL TERRIBLE PEOPLE TO SALESMEN AT CHRISTMAS.

And I haven't unlocked the AK yet, but doesn't it have far less recoil then CoD4?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Why? Playing on the PC I've only run into a single guy using the jav glitch, who promptly stopped when I called him a dick, and I have yet to mute a single person. Matchmaking works fine, even playing a little after noon and midnight EST and I rarely wait more then 10-20 seconds for a game.

Also might as well add me too, id is Fondor_Yards.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Want that in the OP?

BECAUSE I'M TIRED AND ANNOYED AND YOU ARE ALL TERRIBLE PEOPLE TO SALESMEN AT CHRISTMAS.

And I haven't unlocked the AK yet, but doesn't it have far less recoil then CoD4?

It has very little recoil, and no sway (but only if you have no attachments on it), plus 2-shot kill within a decent range and 3 shots otherwise. You don't even need SP for it.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Why? Playing on the PC I've only run into a single guy using the jav glitch, who promptly stopped when I called him a dick, and I have yet to mute a single person. Matchmaking works fine, even playing a little after noon and midnight EST and I rarely wait more then 10-20 seconds for a game.

This was my hope. That the PC player base is somehow a bit more mature and serious about their shit than the X-Live crew. Think I just coined a new auto-tuned rap craze.

MindLib on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Came across multiple javelin glitches last night. They got super pissy when I told them that people are being banned for that and when my entire party reported them for cheating.

My problem with the bannings is that the "cheaters" are not actually doing anything wrong, ie they're not altering the code, etc. If I suddenly got banned out of the blue, because one of my particular builds was considered cheating, I'd be pissed too.

Glitches should be patched, obviously, but if you're going to ban people, then you need to warn them first, ie cut this shit out or you'll be banned.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Came across multiple javelin glitches last night. They got super pissy when I told them that people are being banned for that and when my entire party reported them for cheating.

My problem with the bannings is that the "cheaters" are not actually doing anything wrong, ie they're not altering the code, etc. If I suddenly got banned out of the blue, because one of my particular builds was considered cheating, I'd be pissed too.

Glitches should be patched, obviously, but if you're going to ban people, then you need to warn them first, ie cut this shit out or you'll be banned.

They know. They just assume you're bluffing, with the general XBL "OMG u haxxor imma report you ahshsdbfs" stuff.

If they're going to abuse a glitch in a game as popular as this, they can't think there won't be a consequence.
    Even someone not doing anything will get banned if enough people report them.

Edit: and honestly, if you use the Javelin glitch for anything other than pissing people off, you need to rethink what you're doing.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

On the flip side, I've twice gone into games where the entire enemy team was using akimbo shotguns. And I see the javalin glitch all the goddamn time. And the occasional aimbot. The PC version is just not worth it.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »

On the flip side, I've twice gone into games where the entire enemy team was using akimbo shotguns. And I see the javalin glitch all the goddamn time. And the occasional aimbot. The PC version is just not worth it.

Hacking is why I didn't buy for the PC. That and the smaller audience. I can handle the (frankly, overhyped) Akimbo 1887's, the Jav glitchers, and 9 year olds, but some fuckface using a wallhack/aimbot and getting a nuke in the first 15 seconds of the game is not acceptable.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hyperbole much?

I personally haven't seen a hacker/aimbotter for 2 weeks and I have only seen 3 total. I have never seen anyone using the Jav glitch and I rarely see anyone using akimbo 1887s.

The problem is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Then again that might just be in Australia.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The problem is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Just because you don't see this kind of shit doesn't mean no one else does. This game is consistently shitty, whether because of cheaters or poor game design. It honestly doesn't matter at this point.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?