As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gah. Got to the capital city and it has all these quests. And I think I managed to break my quest log.

Zandracon on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just tried this out a bit. Was pretty amusing, I tried out a Gibberling Psionicist.

Found a neat trick. Mind Link has a 6 second cast time, unless it's been canceled, then it's instant. Apparently, pressing the button to cast it while casting another spell counts as canceling, so I never had to wait the six seconds once I figured that out.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    After playing to level 10 as an Arisen Psionicist I feel like I've had enough of the game to put it down. Honestly I was sort of enduring the last few levels to see if it got better but after completing the first instanced dungeon, Xaes, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

Pros:
    -Clean art direction. The game is slick and pretty for a F2P game, even though the game world is an uncanny mashup of Warcraft and Warhammer40k. Necrons, Orks, Imperial Guard abound with suspiciously similar design aesthetics for these races.
    -Production values are otherwise decent. Decent UI, neverminding the lack of a minimap which is super annoying.
    -Hints at ship-to-ship combat and faction PVP madness at higher levels, although this stuff seems nowhere to be found from what I've seen in beta so far.

Cons:
    -Combat is a total snorefest. Slow and repetetive. There is no auto-attack, so you mash your go-to damage spam attack over and over and over and over. Enemies take a long time to kill solo and give miniscule XP rewards.
    -Uninspired quests. Kill x of these, bring this to this guy, collect y of those. Quests are the only way to earn substantial XP so you're forced to work through a load these.
    -The first instance of the Empire side, Xaes, was excruciating. An hour-long endeavor of tank and spank pull encounters that would have seemed boring in 1999. There is more excitement and variety in Wailing Caverns or Deadmines than this.
    -Bizzarre skill system. You learn skills via a "talent tree" of sorts, except after gaining your first 5 or so you become completely starved for new skills for huge spans at a time because you don't have enough points to invest to keep gaining new ones. This meant that by level 10, around 10 hours of playtime, I had been using almost the exact same skill "rotation" for combat that I had been since 5 minutes into the game.
    -Convoluted and unforgiving stat system requires you to invest a single stat point at each level into one of nearly a half a dozen "recommended" stats which have confusing effects that are diminished each time you level as the "scale" is recalculated.

Bottom line:
    The pacing of this game sucks. The game starts out with a shockingly good tutorial section where, on the Empire side, you are a recruit on an airship that is under attack by enemy forces, and you go through a series of break-neck quests that acquaint you with the basics of the game while giving you huge exp rewards and having you traipse through the bowels of the ship doing various tasks, culminating with a battle on the deck of the ship with a huge impressive astral creature attacking and you have to duel with an enemy captain. You get from level 1-4 in about 5 minutes. It's all very exciting and unfortunately utterly unrepresentative of the actual game.

Then, you get dumped unceremoniously into the real game. A sewer where your first task is to kill 10 slugs. Oh, and the combat at this point slows down by about 300% for no apparent reason from here on out. Getting from level 4-5 takes about 20 minutes. The whole thing just gets more tedious from there. Tons of backtracking, vague quest directions, you will be spawn camping for rare quest mobs within 30 minutes of starting.

Scosglen on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just found out the Warden Heal works on the whole group and not just you and your pet as I thought it did. That's pretty cool.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The game is in closed beta. I don't know why you're complaining about it.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, it's not like the point of beta is to find problems or anything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009

Yes, I am whining because I am outraged about the money that I didn't spend on this game.

How dare I bring up discussion about a game in a thread for talking about said game, when keys are not openly available and people might not be able to try the game for themselves yet.

Scosglen on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I feel the same, Scosglen.

Oh yeah, and the 3 (!) skill grids you open at level 10 are the weirdest skill/talent system i've ever seen in a MMO.

quaigy on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »

Yes, I am whining because I am outraged about the money that I didn't spend on this game.

How dare I bring up discussion about a game in a thread for talking about said game, when keys are not openly available and people might not be able to try the game for themselves yet.

Yeah but complaining about something that is clearly in the works is kinda meh. It has been mentioned that combat has been slowed for testing purposes. And pretty much every other mmo in existence have the same problem of kill 10 rats. You're right about talent trees but seeing how it's a work in progress it's kinda a given. So meh.

drunkenpandaren on
    edited December 2009
    It's a work in progress and he's expressing what needs to be fixed. And while I can't see how a free MMORPG is going to break the curse of collecting bear asses, the fact that it is an MMO doesn't immediately excuse it from flaws.

I don't have much problem with the game, but it's too similar to WoW for me to care. If I really wanted to play, I'd probably just resub to WoW where I have a developed character and don't need to relearn everything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    I'm not saying that because it's an MMO it gets excused. I'm saying that because it's in closed beta and everything is still in the works. The only thing that really rang was the talent system, which I totally agree with. But it's expected because it's in closed beta.

drunkenpandaren on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If I really wanted to play, I'd probably just resub to WoW where I have a developed character and don't need to relearn everything.
    For me that's a negative, not a plus. I love WoW, but I can't play it any more because it's all the same thing I'd already played. I want to learn new shit.

Glal on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I want to learn new shit.

Concurrence.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I have never seen a F2P mmo change dramatically from beta to release.

It's also worth noting that the Russian Open Beta has been going on for a month or longer and that is the exact same version we're currently testing.

I have also read that the combat was "slowed down" for beta testing but frankly I don't believe it.

The point of criticising the generic quests is that, ideally, in an MMO either the quests should be compelling or, if they're banal, the act of collecting 10 bear scrotums should at least be fun. Unfortunately for Allods the quests are boring and the combat sucks.

Scosglen on
    edited December 2009
    If I really wanted to play, I'd probably just resub to WoW where I have a developed character and don't need to relearn everything.
    For me that's a negative, not a plus. I love WoW, but I can't play it any more because it's all the same thing I'd already played. I want to learn new shit.
    It's nothing radically new. It's the same shit with different labels and equations.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Good news then! You don't have to relearn everything!

Glal on
    edited December 2009
    It's nothing radically new. It's the same shit with different labels and equations.

Hey, that's just like every MMO that's come out since EQ!

Congrats, you've cracked the code!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    You can play semantics all you want, but what's new to learn is not fun. That's the bottom line.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009

You need to play more MMOs if that is your conclusion.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009

You need to play more MMOs if that is your conclusion.

I've been playing MMO's since the original Asheron's Call. Ever since EQ it's just been more of the same with one or two differences.

So let me check if I have your playstyle down: "I would rather grind through the same game a billion times while losing everything that makes me human than have to try something new."

Is that about right?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    You're absolutely adorable. Now go ahead and read my posts again. Er, read my posts the first time since it is clear you didn't.

EDIT: To firmly put the brakes on this merry-go-round, the game is pretty much WoW only you have to relearn all the mathy bits. Oh, and the combat is slow. There are plenty of MMOs with different frameworks, combat and so forth than WoW and plenty that aren't. Which is why I said in that beginning that it being like WoW is neither good nor bad. If you like WoW but don't like the classes or monthly payments, then that's fine. I might give this a shake after beta when the combat is sped up, but ultimately I can go back to WoW where I have an established character and can focus on crazy shit like actually playing the game rather than figuring out how stuff works.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2009
    Sorry, but the phrasing you used on "You can play semantics all you want, but what's new to learn is not fun. That's the bottom line."

Made it sound like you never wanted to play anything other than WoW, because learning was yucky or something.

But again, most of the MMO's that have come out since WoW are mostly just WoW-clones with slightly different mathy bits. With a few exceptions most are nearly the same. And unfortunately alot of the more innovative ones (like Vanguard) were also buggy messes and mostly dead at this point.

The last truly innovative MMO that is nothing like WoW that has had any kind of success that I can recall was EVE Online, which was released a full year before WoW.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even if it's WoW-lite, it's also $15 less than WoW every month. And Gibberlings.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I like Gibberlings.

It's amusing that you can name all 3. Does that ever show up in the game anywhere? I'm only like level 7 or 8

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I managed to bag alvin, Simon and thodorr. Fuck yeah

Norgoth on
    edited December 2009
    Not just name, you get to customize them individually. <3
    And if you're a pet class you name the pet, also. Made me giggle.

Glal on
    edited December 2009
    Not just name, you get to customize them individually. <3
    And if you're a pet class you name the pet, also. Made me giggle.

War, Famine, Pestilence and Death.

Seidkona on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, the Empire tutorial quest chain was pretty fun. The capital city is a bit confusing to navigate, though.

Zandracon on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A crappy generic phoned-in Korean free MMO? Surely you jest! Such a thing has never been made before... ;P

JediNight on
    edited December 2009
    If you want to get technical it's the Russians doing this one.

And it doesn't feel all that phoned in. It's already running better than some MMO's when they were released.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JediNight wrote: »
    A crappy generic phoned-in Korean free MMO? Surely you jest! Such a thing has never been made before... ;P

You've clearly done your research on this game.

You seem smart, reasonable and level-headed.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, this is easily one of the best free MMOs in terms of production. Good art style that straddles WoW and Warhammer 40k.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so, let me get this straight, there is a race in teh game called gibberlings. Wich when created your chracter is actualy 3 chrs? how the hell does that work.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    so, let me get this straight, there is a race in teh game called gibberlings. Wich when created your chracter is actualy 3 chrs? how the hell does that work.

exactly the same as any other, just looks different. You only ever control one of them.

Morkath on
    edited December 2009
    Well, you sort of control the (center of the) group, really. They'll take efforts to reform formation when you move, but if you just turn in place they all turn around themselves, rather than two of them jogging around the central one.
    Your front guy's the only one whose name is visible though, alas.

Glal on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    i wanted to try this but after going through all the trouble to download and get the beta key it has decided that my client is "corrupt."

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    i wanted to try this but after going through all the trouble to download and get the beta key it has decided that my client is "corrupt."

http://allods-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1585

Seidkona on
    edited December 2009
    oic, i tried to repair with the patcher but i'll try this download. thanks.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited December 2009
    I really like the Paladin shield system in this game.

It's oddly tactical.

Seidkona on
    edited December 2009
    i like this game, it's pretty cool.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1