As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston D&D get-together Friday Dec 4 for Mojo's US visit

Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!!Cambridge. MAModerator mod
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So MojoJojo is in Boston for a few days and I thought we would use it as an excuse to go out for dinner or drinks.

All forumers who can make it out are welcome.

I thought we might try Harvard Square, though I am open to suggestions on the venue.

Also, if Mojo does not actually look like Emma Watson I will be disappointed.

Post if you think you can make it, or if you can't make it, or if you have ideas for what to do.

Wqdwp8l.png
Irond Will on

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Too close, you bastards.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, this Friday, yeesh. I have a paper to write and stuff. Still, I might go.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    damnit! why couldn't this be closer to christmas break

Casual Eddy on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Mojo is a cool dude and fun to hang with but unfortunately looks very little like Emma Watson. You should therefore make a mask of her face that he can wear for the entire evening.

Bogart on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hurray, I get a sticky. Sadly, I do not have access to a printer, so I can't make myself an amazing (incredibly creepy) mask.
    damnit! why couldn't this be closer to christmas break
    Because my conference is this week!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    You could always pull a Silence of the Lambs, Mojo.

JustinSane07 on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm out in AZ visiting my parents, so I won't be there.

Have a great time guys.

Speaker on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and I'll be available from about six. This conference has absolutely no social scene, so once the talks stop I am good to go.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited December 2009
    I'll show if you guys tell me where the hell we're going.

JustinSane07 on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm surprised by how few Bostonians we have. I was under the impression we had a lot of students, a demographic that must make up half of this area's population by this point.

Anyway, I probably won't be awake until after midday, but my only finals are the 10th and 14th, so I have plenty of time to hang out once out of bed. No car, though, so I'll need a ride.

If we want to eat cheap, Karoun is really inexpensive if they think they can get you clear by 9, when they put on belly dancing and price food for the show.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    I am good for anything. Last time we did one of these, there were a few students and a few locals. We ate at the Border Cafe (which is I guess okay) and drank some at John Harvards. I know that a few of the people who attended that one have either moved on from the forums or else left the city.

Also, I am not on a strict budget but know that some of you probably are. If you have a preference besides Harvard Square I am cool with that but it needs to be T accessible.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I probably can't make it because 1) I'm really poor and 2) I already drove to Boston once this week.

You should go up to Davis Square and get cupcakes at Kickass Cupcakes.

deadonthestreet on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would like to be considered a part of this thread because I used to live in Boston. But otherwise I won't be there and have little to contribute. Unless you want to know some good places around Waltham.

Yar on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Davis Square is a good idea too.

Waltham is way out in the sticks are there even buses that go out there?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I am good for anything. Last time we did one of these, there were a few students and a few locals. We ate at the Border Cafe (which is I guess okay) and drank some at John Harvards. I know that a few of the people who attended that one have either moved on from the forums or else left the city.

Also, I am not on a strict budget but know that some of you probably are. If you have a preference besides Harvard Square I am cool with that but it needs to be T accessible.

Inmam square is supposed to have the independant funkiness that Harvard Square used to have, although my mom (a native whose ancestors used Boston Harbor when most families used Ellis Island) says that Harvard Square hasn't become as chained as people like to say it has and was never as funky as Inmam. There's also Main and Moody streets in Waltham, an area known for great ethnic food (I'm also recommending this place because I can walk there, but it's quite good. Solea is supposed to be the best Tapas in New England or something).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited December 2009
    Davis Square is a good idea too.

Waltham is way out in the sticks are there even buses that go out there?

Commuter rail, ten minutes.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Inmam square is supposed to have the independant funkiness that Harvard Square used to have, although my mom (a native whose ancestors used Boston Harbor when most families used Ellis Island) says that Harvard Square hasn't become as chained as people like to say it has and was never as funky as Inmam. There's also Main and Moody streets in Waltham, an area known for great ethnic food (I'm also recommending this place because I can walk there, but it's quite good. Solea is supposed to be the best Tapas in New England or something).

I love Inman Square. I live about a half-mile away and walk there at least once a week, sometimes more. There are neat restaurants and bars and boutiques and I think no chains at all. The problem with it is that it is not easily T-accessible, though it is a short hike from the Central Square T (up shitty Prospect street tho).

I don't think that Harvard Square is all that sold out. There are obviously some chains - like if you want to go to Bertuccis or Pizzeria Uno or Chipotle it's not hard to find, but there are also plenty of independent businesses that are better. I hear that it was kind of sketchy some years ago but feels like disneyworld now.

I should probably go to Waltham sometime instead of just making fun of it for being suburban. But honestly that is my right and consolation for living in the city.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    waltham isnt so exciting

but i guess it has good food

not that i'll be around

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited December 2009

I love Inman Square. I live about a half-mile away and walk there at least once a week, sometimes more. There are neat restaurants and bars and boutiques and I think no chains at all. The problem with it is that it is not easily T-accessible, though it is a short hike from the Central Square T (up shitty Prospect street tho).

I don't think that Harvard Square is all that sold out. There are obviously some chains - like if you want to go to Bertuccis or Pizzeria Uno or Chipotle it's not hard to find, but there are also plenty of independent businesses that are better. I hear that it was kind of sketchy some years ago but feels like disneyworld now.

I should probably go to Waltham sometime instead of just making fun of it for being suburban. But honestly that is my right and consolation for living in the city.

The weather's supposed to be nice tomorrow (51C is open ski jacket temp, if memory serves) and Prospect will probably have AberIreallydon'tgiveafuck & Finch, which is apparently what all the Europeans want because you can't find it in Europe and the close cut matches European tastes, although that might just be men.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm surprised by how few Bostonians we have. I was under the impression we had a lot of students, a demographic that must make up half of this area's population by this point.

I think theres more of us here from New Jersey then Boston.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just as an FYI, Mojo is more elfin like than Watson like. It is said that when you tickle him, or rub his pockets, beer money falls out!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2009
    YAa

He looks nothing like Emma Watson.

I was saddened.

Cool guy, though... btw, how was your New York experience? did you hit the Jazz standard?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Doesn't look like I can realistically make it in, so everyone who was waiting on my decision can now go ahead and attend.

Enjoy Boston MojoJojo

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited December 2009
    You can't make it from Weymouth? Boo.

I wanted to make you grovel in person.

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    I may not have much internet access today, but Irond Will has my mobile number. So if in doubt, if somebody could text me a location (the nearest metro station would be useful too) and a time, that would be super.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I may not have much internet access today, but Irond Will has my mobile number. So if in doubt, if somebody could text me a location (the nearest metro station would be useful too) and a time, that would be super.

Easily enough if its Harvard Square the nearest stop will be Harvard and if its Davis Square it will be Davis. Assuming you are at the Hynes you'll need to get to the Red Line, which can be reached by taking the Green Line inbound to Park. You'd then go on an Alewife train

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited December 2009
    I sent Iron my cell phone number because I have no idea what any of you people look like or where we are meeting.

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    So I guess we can meet up at Harvard Square at 7 pm. There is an Au Bon Pain next to the subway stop where we can sit and wait to meet up. There are a good number of restaurants and bars around so we can decide where to proceed from there.

Harvard Square is on the Red Line, and also a bunch of buses. Street parking will be hard if you are driving in, so you'll have to pay for a garage spot.

I will email all of you who are on this list my cell number, so you can call if you need to. If you are thinking of attending but have not posted or been contacted, send me a PM.

I'm a tallish thin-ish dude with a beard and am wearing a blue sweater and jeans under a brown sportcoat today.

Look forward to seeing some of you.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I expect (re: demand) photographs

Organichu on
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I expect (re: demand) photographs

You do know that not specifying what kind of photos means well just send you 2g1c hotlinks, right?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I'm the tall one with the receding hairline and inherent air of sophistication. I'll be wearing the same coat as the photo Syndalis posted (incidentally, we did not see any jazz. They were charging $35 dollars just to get in the damn place.).

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited December 2009
    I'm the overweight one in the green "Property of [New Balance Logo]" and jeans. I'll probably also be wearing a blue ski coat.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    I have a blue shirt, grey pants, black shoes and a Celtics hat on.

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    I'm sitting on a train in braintree that just now shut the doors. i've been sitting here at least ten minutes.

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    Okay, it ends up that the campus shuttle at Brandeis doesn't run on days set aside for the student body to relax, so I can't make it.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    At charles now. i will be at harvard soon

JustinSane07 on
    edited December 2009
    Vietnamese food and then some beers with an unfriendly waiter. It was a good evening. I can confirm that Juston, Irond Will and Mrs Will(Frankie?) are all real. Or very elaborate fakes.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wish I coulda been there dudes.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2009
    It was a lot of fun.

Mojo was very English and Justin has a wicked Boston townie accent.

Frankie thought that no one could be accurately categorized as smelly nerds. Japanimation was not discussed.

Our waiter at the bar, Samwise, was utterly useless.

Justin took a few pictures - perhaps we will see them sooner or later.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2009
    So only 4 of us were there, as Mojo said. Myself, Mojo, Iron and Iron's girl.
    We went to a Vietnamese place. I ordered a fried fish. I was thinking that I would be getting some pieces of fried fish.

Nope.

DSCN0260.jpg

I got the entire fucking fish. I ate pretty much everything but the tail and the head. Iron said that the cheek meat was considered a delicacy and ate that for himself.

Iron's girl was getting annoyed with our bad waiter at the bar after we left the Vietnamese place.

DSCN0261.jpg

She was placated with PSP GO.

DSCN0263.jpg

Here's the happy couple now!

DSCN0264.jpg

Here's the happy couple after miming a blow job in the bar that I couldn't take a picture of fast enough! Damn them!

DSCN0262.jpg

And lastly, your obligatory group shot missing Iron's girl because I didn't feel like having any skeevy bar drunks touch my camera. Left to Right: Iron, Mojo, and me in desperate need of a haircut.

JustinSane07 on