As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ultimate Game.

2»

• Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For me, the closest I've ever gotten to "the ultimate game" was Metroid Prime. I've never had such an immersive experience.
    For me, the closest I've ever gotten to "the ultimate game" was Metroid Prime. I've never had such an immersive experience.

I don't know about a better way to highlight thins kind of awesome.

I can only hope a triple liming can bring it the kind of attention this deserves. RidleySaria, the earth grows a small oasis everywhere you walk.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    Red*PandaRed*Panda Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Everquest

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    that's the thing, i'd need some other games to make it worthwhile. Flight sims or space combat stuff, a few titles like that and i'd be sold. Unfortunately, it seems like Forza's the only game, and that makes it more of a luxury than a necessity :(

Well yeah, that's the thing. The Forza feature is really only viable for dedicated racing sim addicts, because it's the only xbox game with the feature and it requires quite a bit of hardware collection.

If I had more room in my apartment I could totally see myself getting a couple more displays and some old xboxes, and setting up a little sim cockpit.. and being happy with playing nothing but Forza on it.

Of course, with Forza 2 on the horizon I'd want to do it with the newer game, and ain't no way I'm laying down the bread for 2 more 360's. Maybe 5 years down the road when they cost $100. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's not the best game ever, but I think World of Warcraft is going to be the ultimate game. I give it 5 years before the servers become self-aware and take over the world

Hensler on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    It's not the best game ever, but I think World of Warcraft is going to be the ultimate game. I give it 5 years before the servers become self-aware and take over the world

Typically, good games don't leave you feeling hollow and angry that you threw all this money at a trusted company for an extended version of diablo 2, but thats just me. I don't think its the ultimate game at all.

There are real life situations where things are happening so fast that you stop conciously thinking. There are puzzle based child games everywhere, some of them are kind of like that. Of course, nobody plays them anymore, they all play their DS. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    that's the thing, i'd need some other games to make it worthwhile. Flight sims or space combat stuff, a few titles like that and i'd be sold. Unfortunately, it seems like Forza's the only game, and that makes it more of a luxury than a necessity :(

Well yeah, that's the thing. The Forza feature is really only viable for dedicated racing sim addicts, because it's the only xbox game with the feature and it requires quite a bit of hardware collection.

If I had more room in my apartment I could totally see myself getting a couple more displays and some old xboxes, and setting up a little sim cockpit.. and being happy with playing nothing but Forza on it.

Of course, with Forza 2 on the horizon I'd want to do it with the newer game, and ain't no way I'm laying down the bread for 2 more 360's. Maybe 5 years down the road when they cost $100. ;)

Man, get some sort of rumble seat and a steering wheel controller and that would be golden.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ihd wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    Dis_quiet wrote:
    Didn't you see "The Game" with Michael Douglas? That was the ultimate game.
    That film was great.

Also, I just lost.

:lol:

Dammit!

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    Man, get some sort of rumble seat and a steering wheel controller and that would be golden.

What they need to do is allow you to plug a USB cable into the 360, and it outputs basic vehicle telemetry, which you can plug into a machine that controls a bunch of servos and motors.

Then you build your cockpit on a platform that is moved by those servos and motors.. and you got yourself a serious simulator rig. Screw rumble seats, I want a rumble room. ;) Could use projectors or several screens to put the images exactly where the windows would be, and make it so immersive you'd puke.

Really, once they gave you a way to get that data.. the limit would only be your wallet and your willingness to build it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Max Payne 2 is the closest, for me. I was so immersed I'm pretty sure I screamed when Vlad [realspoiler:64ecd3e75e]shot Mona. You bet your ass I'm going to give you all your bullets back, fucker.[/realspoiler:64ecd3e75e]

Max Payne 1 was better, just sheer brillance. Some of those lines are unforgettable, like the one where he felt like he went 12 rounds with a mutant croc.

Brue on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ihd wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    Dis_quiet wrote:
    Didn't you see "The Game" with Michael Douglas? That was the ultimate game.
    That film was great.

Also, I just lost.

:lol:

Dammit!

Motherfucker.

Take the rest of us down with you, will you?

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whats that about again? I recall something about this, something like you lost the game whenever you thought about it. I might be completely wrong, please refresh my memory.

Also, my ultimate game will be when we get a martial arts game with COMPLETE neural immersion. You feel what you feel in the game (with severely rediced pain levels of course) though your physical abilities are of course augmented, your skill only limited by your own quick thinking, skill and reflexes. I would spar for hours each day, seeking to perfect every martial art and weapon.

Was this by todays technology though? In that case I would love an open ended Oblivion-esque game with a couple of dozen characters that could join your party, several factions to join and earn leadership of, as well as dungeon crawling, huge bosses and earth shattering spells to learn.

Oh, and Co-op wouldn't hurt.

Pretty much Oblivion only with a better story, group dynamics, a cool magic system, and with none of the huge weaknesses of the original which I will not go into.

Vic on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The ultimate game will be based off the ultimate move adaptation of the ultimate book.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vic wrote:
    Whats that about again? I recall something about this, something like you lost the game whenever you thought about it. I might be completely wrong, please refresh my memory.

Also, my ultimate game will be when we get a martial arts game with COMPLETE neural immersion. You feel what you feel in the game (with severely rediced pain levels of course) though your physical abilities are of course augmented, your skill only limited by your own quick thinking, skill and reflexes. I would spar for hours each day, seeking to perfect every martial art and weapon.

Was this by todays technology though? In that case I would love an open ended Oblivion-esque game with a couple of dozen characters that could join your party, several factions to join and earn leadership of, as well as dungeon crawling, huge bosses and earth shattering spells to learn.

Oh, and Co-op wouldn't hurt.

Pretty much Oblivion only with a better story, group dynamics, a cool magic system, and with none of the huge weaknesses of the original which I will not go into.

So...like, a holo deck? They really need to make those. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We're getting games from incomparable genres. It's kinda hard to compare Half-Life 2, Tetris, and WoW.

Furthermore, no one has tried to compare Balder's Gate 2, Myth 2, Bust-a-Move 4, Mortal Kombat 3, R-type Final, and Mr. Driller. Shame on you all!

zubisman on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmm.. judging from the requirements I'd say F-Zero AX comes closest.

06-fzeroax.jpg

If you could somehow combine it with Steel Battalion the world might end.

End in AWESOME!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    The ultimate game will be based off the ultimate move adaptation of the ultimate book.

...which is based on the peni-ultimate movie of the peni-ultimate game based on the peni-ultimate book.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Hmm.. judging from the requirements I'd say F-Zero AX comes closest.

06-fzeroax.jpg

If you could somehow combine it with Steel Battalion the world might end.

End in AWESOME!

F-Zero AX has nothing on this Gundam game.

gundam.jpg

ihd on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Ultimate Game is going to be Spore. Come on, you know I'm right.

Am I the only person who thinks Spore looks like a mediocre RTS with customizable shapes and skins?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.