As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art is Hard! Reccomend me some books on intro art? [Solved]

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to begin with a sweeping background of why I went to college to get an art degree and ended up getting shafted into an English Literature degree due to course availability...

...but I think I just summed it up pretty nicely.

Now, years later, with time on my hands and money in my pocket, I want to learn to Art.

However, Art classes at my university only meet during the day,which is bad for me as I have a job to do. So, outside of reading the Penny-Arcade Artist's corner threads, sketching regularly using resources like Posemaniacs, and floundering dangerously like a magician's apprentice in the potion room, I'm looking for some formal resources.

I'm mostly interested in the human form (and not the anniemays or comic book kind), but any helpful text for a total novice would be appreciated. Preferably, I'd like to stay away from the "For Dummies!" sort of texts because I'm not looking to become an ace in an afternoon. I'm pretty darn serious about doing this the old fashioned way, minus a classroom setting. Textbooks and such are preferred.

Considering how awesomely I was assisted in my last (and similar) request for software, you guys are clearly the best place to turn! Suggestions, oh great and wise H/A Patrons?

Enc on

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuck formal resources! Just dig out a pen and draw. Seriously!

However, there's a whole sticky thread in the PA:AC about this too. :)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    LachoneusLachoneus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    check this book out. its amazing.

also check out conceptart.org. that site is amazing too. tons of really good resources and its super inspirational becuase you get to see so many incredible artists and it makes you want to push yourself.

edit:

also this. draw a ton. take whatever time you can and go. if you have a zoo in your area, get a season pass, go all the time. look up art studios/community college in your area and see if they have workshops/classes at night.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've been doing that for about a year now, and while I've made pretty braggable progress, I feel like I could use something a bit more disciplined.

Thanks for the pointer, I missed that thread (which is actually pretty much everything I was looking for).

Not gonna call it solved, just in case folk would like to tell me their specific favorites (Thanks for the suggestions Lachoneus!).

Enc on
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember a book being highly recommended, and I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact title. On Reddit everyone was recommending a book called something like "drawing on the right side of the brain". Please someone more familiar than me clarify this for the OP :)

SideAffects on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    seconding SideAffects; go pick up Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, or The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, whatever. It's like cognitive behavioral therapy for art development or something, it works really well, is written really clearly, and has a bunch of basic and concise exercises that work at any level of skill to push your limits.

After that, figure out WHAT kind of drawing (I assume you're mostly talking about 2D art here) you want to do. Figure, landscape, concept, abstract, photorealism, animals, etc. There's a book for everything.

Read a little. Draw a lot. Emphasis on part two. It works, really.

The Cow on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Reposting my answer to a similar question in a previous thread- not all about books, but a lot of recommendations in there, including the ones already mentioned:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=12465372&postcount=4

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.