As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updating a graphics driver when my laptop won't let me.

KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon X1400 graphics chipset. When I try to update the drivers using the download from ATI, it tells me that they cannot be installed and that I should contact my laptop manufacturer. The problem is, Dell hasn't released new drivers for this since 2006.

Is there any way to get around this and install the latest drivers from ATI, and if so, is it going to destroy my computer to do this?

Klorgnum on

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had a similar problem recently, wanted to play a LAN game of L4D2 while visiting some family, and the other laptop had crappy Intel graphics. the game ran, but not well. Knowing I had ran it to a playable level on similar hardware, I knew updated drivers would help. The drivers were over a year old, but would not let me install new ones from Intel because they "needed" to be from the laptop manufacturer. I could not find a solution.

You however, might have some luck. You've got ATI graphics in there, I'd take a look at the Omega drivers, they also work for mobile chipsets, and shouldn't give the same errors.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

I haven't used those in a long time, not even sure when they were last updated, but at least take a look. Maybe someone will have a better solution.

I also just thought of something, but it might not be the preferred path. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the installation of new drivers would be the old ones. After all, default drivers in Windows don't know not to let you install something if you're adamant about it. So if you bought the computer, and have the installation it came with, and in turn the manufacturer's drivers that it came with, maybe you can uninstall them, or just reformat. If you reformat, don't use any manufacturers drivers, just standard windows ones or those directly from the source, not the laptop manufacturer if necessary. I would get confirmation this might work before you do this, for all I know it's the ATI drivers themselves that are refusing the installation.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I had a similar problem recently, wanted to play a LAN game of L4D2 while visiting some family, and the other laptop had crappy Intel graphics. the game ran, but not well. Knowing I had ran it to a playable level on similar hardware, I knew updated drivers would help. The drivers were over a year old, but would not let me install new ones from Intel because they "needed" to be from the laptop manufacturer. I could not find a solution.

You however, might have some luck. You've got ATI graphics in there, I'd take a look at the Omega drivers, they also work for mobile chipsets, and shouldn't give the same errors.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

I haven't used those in a long time, not even sure when they were last updated, but at least take a look. Maybe someone will have a better solution.

I also just thought of something, but it might not be the preferred path. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the installation of new drivers would be the old ones. After all, default drivers in Windows don't know not to let you install something if you're adamant about it. So if you bought the computer, and have the installation it came with, and in turn the manufacturer's drivers that it came with, maybe you can uninstall them, or just reformat. If you reformat, don't use any manufacturers drivers, just standard windows ones or those directly from the source, not the laptop manufacturer if necessary. I would get confirmation this might work before you do this, for all I know it's the ATI drivers themselves that are refusing the installation.

Hm, I'm a little hesitant about the omega drivers since they're third party.

I don't think uninstalling the ATI drivers will work. The only way for me to get the drivers from ATI is to install a verification tool, and that seems to check my computer, not the installed drivers.

EDIT: Hm, maybe this will work. I still don't know if this could wreck my computer or not.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anecdote: I've got an X1400-equipped laptop, and I've been running the Omega drivers on it for over two years now without a single glitch, and significant improvements over the stock shitty HP ones both in games and for multiple monitors.

Go for it. Or use the Mobility Modder you linked above.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can vouch for Mobility Modder. It let me install the latest ATI drivers on my laptop that usually refused the ones straight from ATI, directing me back to the vendor.

oh, it was an x1400 as well. It works.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I used mobility modder. Things seem fine so far, and Mirror's Edge now runs, although my desktop resolution was screwed up when I exited it.

Klorgnum on