Downtown Boston food solutions?

13

Posts

  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    madlyneon wrote: »

    Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

    Did you call for reservations? OpenTable has nothing before 930 at night on that Saturday and says "Restricted by Restaurant" for the morning times.

    I would call rather than go by the website. I don't think the website is accurate for the chocolate bar, only for the restaurant.

    Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    madlyneon wrote: »

    Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

    Did you call for reservations? OpenTable has nothing before 930 at night on that Saturday and says "Restricted by Restaurant" for the morning times.

    I would call rather than go by the website. I don't think the website is accurate for the chocolate bar, only for the restaurant.

    ^^^^^^^^^What he said. I called the Langham itself and and spoke to the most chaaaaaaarming British man who took my reservation. That website OpenTable isn't for the Chocolate Bar. The phone number for the Langham is (617) 451-1900 and ask to make reservations for "Cafe Fleuri's Chocolate Bar". :lol:

    madlyneon on
  • firemage1026firemage1026 Registered User
    edited February 2010
    madlyneon wrote: »
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    madlyneon wrote: »

    Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

    Did you call for reservations? OpenTable has nothing before 930 at night on that Saturday and says "Restricted by Restaurant" for the morning times.

    I would call rather than go by the website. I don't think the website is accurate for the chocolate bar, only for the restaurant.

    ^^^^^^^^^What he said. I called the Langham itself and and spoke to the most chaaaaaaarming British man who took my reservation. That website OpenTable isn't for the Chocolate Bar. The phone number for the Langham is (617) 451-1900 and ask to make reservations for "Cafe Fleuri's Chocolate Bar". :lol:

    Honestly if I knew it only took chocolete to get you to come with me I would have offered sooner.

    firemage1026 on
    I am going to kill you... I mean hug you!
  • madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User
    edited February 2010
    madlyneon wrote: »
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    madlyneon wrote: »

    Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

    Did you call for reservations? OpenTable has nothing before 930 at night on that Saturday and says "Restricted by Restaurant" for the morning times.

    I would call rather than go by the website. I don't think the website is accurate for the chocolate bar, only for the restaurant.

    ^^^^^^^^^What he said. I called the Langham itself and and spoke to the most chaaaaaaarming British man who took my reservation. That website OpenTable isn't for the Chocolate Bar. The phone number for the Langham is (617) 451-1900 and ask to make reservations for "Cafe Fleuri's Chocolate Bar". :lol:

    Honestly if I knew it only took chocolete to get you to come with me I would have offered sooner.

    Actually, yes, the promise of chocolate was an integral part in my decision-making process to go to Boston. :lol:

    madlyneon on
  • PatrickDPatrickD Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Anime Boston has a nice list of places to eat in the area:
    http://www.animeboston.com/location/food/

    ...and since the con is the weekend after PAX East and in the same place, it's pretty up-to-date and relevant.

    PatrickD on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was wondering if anyone has been to L'Espalier yelp and other sites seem to love it. Is it good food? Do i need to get reservation like now or what? Any info would be great. Also are there many places like it as in 5 star uber fancy places to eat. I LOVE getting dressed up and going out for a great meal even if its stupidly expensive.

    L'espalier is great, but I'm not as much of a fan of the new location ... it was a much cooler experience before they moved :\ You should be able to wait on getting a reservation, but definitely make one a week or so in advance :)

    There are plenty of other high end dining options in Boston ... more than you could eat at over the weekend. If you look through this thread for my fine dining post you'll see a few of my suggestions.

    If I could pick just one meal to have in Boston I think it would be the tasting menu at No 9 Park. Any of Barbara Lynch's restaurants are fantastic, same for Ken Orringer.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No. 9 Park is also where one of our illustrious local officials got busted taking bribes and sticking the money in her bra.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Suggestions for good food VERY close to Hynes:

    The Other Side Cafe http://www.theothersidecafe.com/

    Thanks for this. I think this will be my go to place for meals during the con. Lots of good sounding healthy choices.

    Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deefuzz wrote: »
    Suggestions for good food VERY close to Hynes:

    The Other Side Cafe http://www.theothersidecafe.com/

    Thanks for this. I think this will be my go to place for meals during the con. Lots of good sounding healthy choices.

    It's been years since I've been there, but they used to have a fruit platter with a honey yogurt dip that was simply amazing.

    Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    By the way, for those of you with a sweet tooth, this may be worth checking out.

    http://boston.langhamhotels.com/en/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm

    I went with my wife last year and it's excellent. Fair warning, the food is rich so you may not be able to eat as much as you think you can.

    Are reservations needed for that or can you just show up?

    We made reservations when we went but it wasn't all that busy. I think you could probably get in without them, but I would suggest getting reservations if possible.

    Made my reservations for 11:30.

    No idea how I will handle a chocolate buffet, going more for the experience than the enjoyment.

    Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've hit a few places in Boston, so if you're looking for a couple of options check out my Yelp reviews HERE. Some are in the area of the convention center, or if nothing else a quick ride on the T.

    There is a place (not the Pour/Poor House) that is in the area that serves some tasty sliders (pub style place) but I can't think of the name of it.

    There is some Fantastic BBQ that is south of the City (def not a quick trip) so if you're diving in town I'd suggest it.

    A bit more of a walk, but might be worth it for the out-of town/state -- ers... would be Fanuiel Hall (sorry if I spelt it wrong, didn't have time to look it up. LOL) It's right near Government center and about a 10 min walk (give or take) from the Convention Center. They have basically one big food court, with (as said on food Network) the best Boston Baked Beans in boston. LOL

    So, a few ideas there.

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • OnWeOnWe Registered User
    edited February 2010
    elektra168 wrote: »
    An earlier poster was right when they said all you have to do is go outside and walk to find a variety of restaurants - pubs, chains, fast food. Boylston St. and Newbury St. are lined with food options. ...

    Spike's Junkyard Dog
    1076 Boylston Street
    Awesome hot dogs and burgers. Veggie dogs and burgers too.

    Legal Seafood
    800 Boylston St
    In the Prudential Center near the exit to Boylston St.
    If you like seafood, go here. They also have sandwiches / smaller portions for lunch...

    Hey wow, great post. Having lived in Boston 4 years now, specifically in back bay (a 5 minute walk from the convention center) and having eaten at almost all of the places you listed, i just wanted to add my perspective to a few of the places you named and add a few of my own.

    I'd kind of tell people to stay away from spike's for burgers. It's not cheap, but the food is pretty much just frozen fries/burgers/chicken sold at jacked up prices. Def check out B.Good for a cheap-ish fast-food style burger (it also has awesome baked french fries).

    Also, legal seafood is kind of a boston staple, but immediately across from the prudential center is Atlantic Fish Co., which i think is a lot nicer. It might be a little bit more expensive, but legal's not cheap. If anyone gets the chance, get the day-boat scallops. you might think you've had scallops before, but eating ones that are caught on the same day, it's a totally different experience.

    Atlantic Fish Co. - www.atlanticfishco.com
    761 Boylston Street, Boston - (617) 267-4000

    Also, for anyone looking for a café in the area that isn't starbucks, a block away, on newbury st. (the ultra trendy shopping street) is a cool place called Espresso Royale Cafe. They have lots of teas, but the coffee is the star. For the sweet tooth, try the Cubano (espresso brewed w/ a packet of raw sugar in w/ the beans), and they have the best drip coffee in boston. (Warning, this is a hipster hangout. It's clean, but if you can't handle dead-eyed youths and the dulcet tones of Lou Reed on the radio, you might want to pass.)

    Espresso Royale Caffe - www.espressoroyale.com
    286 Newbury Street, Boston - (617) 859-9515

    hope that helps, and that everyone has a good time in boston.

    OnWe on
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Champions Sports Bar!! That is what it's called (god couldn't think of it all these days. LOL) It's across the street (on the other side of) the convention center/mall. Downstairs in a hotel.

    You can actually skywalk over to it so you don't have to be out in the weather, then through the hotel lobby and into the bar. Good atmosphere, tasty food, and of course drinks (BOOZE!!) so you should be in good hands, and still within walking distance of your hotel (cab/t)

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prince wrote: »
    I've hit a few places in Boston, so if you're looking for a couple of options check out my Yelp reviews HERE. Some are in the area of the convention center, or if nothing else a quick ride on the T.

    There is a place (not the Pour/Poor House) that is in the area that serves some tasty sliders (pub style place) but I can't think of the name of it.

    There is some Fantastic BBQ that is south of the City (def not a quick trip) so if you're diving in town I'd suggest it.

    A bit more of a walk, but might be worth it for the out-of town/state -- ers... would be Fanuiel Hall (sorry if I spelt it wrong, didn't have time to look it up. LOL) It's right near Government center and about a 10 min walk (give or take) from the Convention Center. They have basically one big food court, with (as said on food Network) the best Boston Baked Beans in boston. LOL

    So, a few ideas there.

    Another place with sliders is Match. It's on the corner of Newbury and Mass Ave :) They also have decent cocktails from what the gf/her friends tell me. I had a great duck burger last time I was there.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OnWe wrote: »
    elektra168 wrote: »
    An earlier poster was right when they said all you have to do is go outside and walk to find a variety of restaurants - pubs, chains, fast food. Boylston St. and Newbury St. are lined with food options. ...

    Spike's Junkyard Dog
    1076 Boylston Street
    Awesome hot dogs and burgers. Veggie dogs and burgers too.

    Legal Seafood
    800 Boylston St
    In the Prudential Center near the exit to Boylston St.
    If you like seafood, go here. They also have sandwiches / smaller portions for lunch...

    Hey wow, great post. Having lived in Boston 4 years now, specifically in back bay (a 5 minute walk from the convention center) and having eaten at almost all of the places you listed, i just wanted to add my perspective to a few of the places you named and add a few of my own.

    I'd kind of tell people to stay away from spike's for burgers. It's not cheap, but the food is pretty much just frozen fries/burgers/chicken sold at jacked up prices. Def check out B.Good for a cheap-ish fast-food style burger (it also has awesome baked french fries).

    Also, legal seafood is kind of a boston staple, but immediately across from the prudential center is Atlantic Fish Co., which i think is a lot nicer. It might be a little bit more expensive, but legal's not cheap. If anyone gets the chance, get the day-boat scallops. you might think you've had scallops before, but eating ones that are caught on the same day, it's a totally different experience.

    Atlantic Fish Co. - www.atlanticfishco.com
    761 Boylston Street, Boston - (617) 267-4000

    Also, for anyone looking for a café in the area that isn't starbucks, a block away, on newbury st. (the ultra trendy shopping street) is a cool place called Espresso Royale Cafe. They have lots of teas, but the coffee is the star. For the sweet tooth, try the Cubano (espresso brewed w/ a packet of raw sugar in w/ the beans), and they have the best drip coffee in boston. (Warning, this is a hipster hangout. It's clean, but if you can't handle dead-eyed youths and the dulcet tones of Lou Reed on the radio, you might want to pass.)

    Espresso Royale Caffe - www.espressoroyale.com
    286 Newbury Street, Boston - (617) 859-9515

    hope that helps, and that everyone has a good time in boston.

    Yea, I suggested a handful of places for seafood, all of which weren't legals ;)

    Atlantic, Turner Fisheries, and of course Oceanaire ... all better options. Summer Shack for a more casual option, Barking Crab for a more casual/touristy option.


    As for Spikes, I don't know that I've ever go for something other than the hot dogs. The chicken sandwiches are ok, but burgers and pizza? pass.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Course... if you don't mind spending some $$ for like a date night, buisness dinner... or... "meh, why the hell not" then there is always the Top of the Hub restaurant, which is at the TOP of the prudential center.

    Pricey... but an AMAZING view of the city, great meals (I love their steak) and some damn good drinks/cocktails. Hell, I'm making myself crave it so I might have to go while I'm there! LOL

    With it's location (walk out of the Hynes hotel/mall side... turn left... walk to the glass doors on your left - enter and take the elevator up!) it's easy to get to and MORE than near by!


    Also, on that note, if you just want to get the great view of the city - minus the $40+ meal, then just go the the top floor (viewing area?!?) not sure the name of it... skywalk I think..., but it's like $8 entry fee and you can walk around the very tip top of the pru (indoors not out) and get a 360 degree view of the city from 42+ stories up!

    They have those little radio recorders too if you're interested... it's like a mini tour where they point out aspects of the city, history, ect depending on where you're looking from.

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Top of the Hub's food is really mediocre ... the view is the only reason to go :p The skywalk is a better idea.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Top of the Hub's food is really mediocre ... the view is the only reason to go :p The skywalk is a better idea.

    Heeeyyyy... they had tasty steak.

    Course, in your defense, I know for a fact I can go to at least 2 (3) other places within a 2 mile radius or so to get a better steak. And I love steak. But it was better then some places I've been to in the past - that's for sure.


    However, given the money spent, I will agree that Skywalk is the better choice.

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prince wrote: »
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Top of the Hub's food is really mediocre ... the view is the only reason to go :p The skywalk is a better idea.

    Heeeyyyy... they had tasty steak.

    Course, in your defense, I know for a fact I can go to at least 2 (3) other places within a 2 mile radius or so to get a better steak. And I love steak. But it was better then some places I've been to in the past - that's for sure.


    However, given the money spent, I will agree that Skywalk is the better choice.

    Steak is always hard for me to not love haha :) I don't mean to imply the food is horrible, it's just that there are much better places to eat for the money IMO. Steak alone I'd rather go to - KO Prime, Mortons, Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, Abe & Louies, and maybe even - Flemmings/Grill 23/Smith and Wollenskys

    If I'm going to drop $100 on a tasting menu I'd rather go to L'espalier, No 9 Park, or Clio

    just to name a few places off the cuff :) If the prices were a good 15-20% less per entree, it'd be competing with a different tier of restaurant in my mind and thus I might not judge it so harshly.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Smith and W is delicious, as well as KO Prime, Capital Grille... etc. I'd, personally, say not so much on Ruth's Chris... as you do with Hub, I feel their steaks (at least) are medicore. When I had them (and maybe it was a bad night) it wasn't even that juicy... and ended up being chewy.

    I felt like it was cheap steak that wasn't even that well seasoned.


    If you get a chance to hop out of the city and you're looking for a spot. Bokx 109 in Newton is Fantastic! Great steak, and your meal is complimented (at the end) with Cotton Candy! w00t


    Also, if you're bored and want to make a trip "Pit Stop BBQ" is very good!!! Delicious!! But it's off the beaten path down in Mattapan.

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ack, that sucks! :(

    I've been to Ruth's Chris 5-6 times and it's always been good. They don't do much to their steaks, so I opt for bone-in cuts, but it should at least have *some* flavor.

    Every place can have a off meal, but I'm sorry to hear it was at Ruth's Chris. I did a year of steak - 12 of the top places in Boston, one a month, with a group of friends - and Ruth's Chris ended up being near the top of everybody's list.


    Always interested to hear about places outside the city as I don't make it out too often. Especially happy to try a new BBQ place :) I grew up in NC and I miss good bbq.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As luck would have it... the Pit Stop owners are FROM NC. So if that is a selling point -- you're in!!

    Just to point out ahead of time though -- don't expect to sit and eat, there isn't a space for it. you literally order then go. Delicious Banana Pudding too!

    Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • hoborghoborg Registered User
    edited March 2010
    For anyone looking for quick/cheap fast food very close to the con, the block of boylston and mass. ave is pretty much the place to go. It's only 2 blocks away from the convention center (direction: away from downtown). I used to live right near there for 2 years, so I ate around there quite often. It's got:

    Spike's (Hot dogs) - Great place for hot dogs mainly due to their tasty buns and toppings. Recommend their namesake, the "Junkyard Dog". I wouldn't reccomend anything else there though.

    Little Stevies' (NY-style pizza) - Kind of a shithole, but this is the place to go if you like floppy plain cheese pizza and if you are cheap like me. They serve HUGE slices $2/slice (might actually be higher now, I moved 2 years ago) and a 'slice' is like 1/6 of a pizza. 2 slices fill me up for under $5.

    Crazy Doughs (thick crust style pizza) - Kind of the opposite of Little Stevies, they serve thick square slices with a variety of interesting toppings. The 'gourmet' slices are tasty, the triangular cheese slices suck.

    Boloco (wraps) - Pretty good, and probably the least bad for you food on the block

    Teriyaki House (pan-asian) - I used to get takeout from here often and it was pretty good since they had a wide variety, and their chinese food isn't totally awful like EVERY OTHER CHINESE PLACE IN THE STATE OF MA GOOD GOD NEVER GET CHINESE FOOD IN THIS STATE (except in chinatown)

    Pad Thai Cafe (Thai, obviously) - This isn't the best thai place, but it's quick and it's cheap and self-service, and their pad thai is pretty decent. I haven't gotten anything besides that I would eat again there, though.

    Note: these are all pretty small places, don't expect to bring a huge group or anything.

    Anywhere else in the immediate vicinity that I can think of would be a sit-down tipping kind of place, and the further you go in the opposite direction (towards downtown) the fancier stuff gets. Except the mall food court, but that will be absolutely packed since it's basically in the same building as PAX, so i'd say avoid it if you don't mind walking a couple blocks to mass ave. (And except mcdonalds/wendys, but... c'mon.)

    Pubs in the area i'd recommend for food&drink would be the Pour House (across from the convention center, it's always packed, delicious nachos), Bukowski (across from the sheraton), or the Other Side Cafe (across from Spikes, more hipstery than the others)

    hoborg on
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User
    edited March 2010
    I'll throw in my vote for the Other Side. The normal food selection is decent but on the weekends they serve a great brunch. The homefires are amazing. Plus it is hipstery (as hoborg said) which I enjoy (good music and interesting staff).

    SirCuddlez on
  • Ozzkev55Ozzkev55 Registered User
    edited March 2010
    I know it's not in downtown, but Tasca Tapas in Brighton is only 10mins by train. I'd say it's the best tapas bar I've been to.

    Ozzkev55 on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you want literally the best sub in the city its a bit of a hike from the Prudential center(directly connected to the hynes). If you walk straight up Huntington ave away from downtown Boston and take a left when you get to Tremont street and just walk I think its 3 or 4 blocks you should have the place on your right. The place has a big green sign with yellow lettering and its name is WAN's convenience the guy making the sandwiches is named Al and he will take a while to craft your sandwich. However crafting magical items always takes a little time and I swear this guy is like a sandwichmancer in like 10-30 minutes you will have the best sandwich you have ever freaking eaten and its only going to cost you 7 bucks, half pound of meat in most of the subs too. There's a nice park with tables you can sit and eat at across the street from Wan's that has one of the best views of Boston you can find, or you can chill at the counter inside. The only problem that might arise is he normally isn't open on Sundays but Friday and Saturday he should be open till 9 at night, but if enough of you say your going to show up I might be able to get him to open on Sunday too. If all else fails chances are you will only be able to handle half a sandwich and be able to save the second for later.

    tldr: Wans convenience best sub in town take Huntington up to Tremont take a left onto Tremont walk 4 blocks it should be on your right

    also don't even hope for cheap food in downtown Boston at least not food that's good. go for a little hike or a ride on the historic MBTA, and you can find some decent stuff. Although the pour house is good and fairly well priced. In addition to that fire and ice should be somewhere near that area and if you got some time to kill and want to attack a buffet where they will cook the food fresh in front of you in whatever freakin style you want hit it up.

    bettys wok in noodle is about a block up Huntington from the prudential center on the left it looks like a dinner my suggestion: get the ribs the noodles are damn good but the ribs might make you see god for a second.

    Up Boylston, away from downtown Boston(take a left out of the Boylston street exit of the convention center), from the Hynes convention center on the left side there is Tiki house (sushi and Chinese food), crazy doughs(Pizza), and Pad Thai(THAI), and another pizza place but its not that great(but it is pretty cheap). If you want it there's a Wendy's and a Burger king like four blocks down Boylston on the left.

    There is a food court in the Prudential center but its not the best food. If you got the bank the Prudential center and the attached Coply plaza has some real sit down restaurants like legal seafood or cheesecake factory

    these are just the few I can remember but you guys should look some things up especially check out this site: http://www.phantomgourmet.com/showpage.aspx?content=searchrestaurants and search the greater Boston area especially the back bay area and possibly the Chinatown and downtown and Faneuil hall areas and you can get exact addresses for any of the restaurants that have been given good reviews ,that you can check out on that site as well, by some of the most trusted restaurant reviewers of the Boston and greater New England area. get the address hit up google maps and get to walkin or get to the T which is included in google maps directions

    tldr: Wans convenience best sub in town take Huntington up to Tremont take a left onto Tremont walk 4 blocks it should be on your right

    also feel free to ask me these directions if you run into me at the con same name on the badge as there is here

    Sleep on
  • OrishaOrisha Registered User
    edited March 2010
    I just realized that Boston winter Restaurant week is running from the 21st to the 26th. Any foodies getting into town early should check it out.
    Basically, a bunch of the nicer restaurants in Boston serve prix fixe menus at $15.10 for 2-course lunches, $20.10 for 3-course lunches and $33.10 for 3-course dinners. It's a great opportunity to try some nice places at a lower price than normal. It's often a lot of food and pretty great. Some of the restaurants people have already mentioned (The Capital Grille, Ruth's Chris) are participating.
    Here's a list of the places in the Back Bay, which is the area around Hynes.
    http://restaurantweekboston.com/?neighborhood=back-bay

    Orisha on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Orisha wrote: »
    I just realized that Boston winter Restaurant week is running from the 21st to the 26th. Any foodies getting into town early should check it out.
    Basically, a bunch of the nicer restaurants in Boston serve prix fixe menus at $15.10 for 2-course lunches, $20.10 for 3-course lunches and $33.10 for 3-course dinners. It's a great opportunity to try some nice places at a lower price than normal. It's often a lot of food and pretty great. Some of the restaurants people have already mentioned (The Capital Grille, Ruth's Chris) are participating.
    Here's a list of the places in the Back Bay, which is the area around Hynes.
    http://restaurantweekboston.com/?neighborhood=back-bay



    Already mentioned it ... though in a different thread

    On another note - this thread has become massive copypasta

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • dannysaldannysal Registered User
    edited March 2010
    I work in the Prudential area and I just want to mention a few other places that are fantastic that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread (if they have I apologize) and are walking distance or a short T ride from the Hynes.

    Sushi - Douzo http://www.douzosushi.com/ $$

    Steak - Abe and Louies http://www.abeandlouies.com/ $$$$

    Cheap Eats - Dillons http://www.irishconnection.com/dillons.html $

    All you can eat! - Fire and Ice http://fire-ice.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Boston,%20MA&category=boston $$

    dannysal on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ozzkev55 wrote: »
    I know it's not in downtown, but Tasca Tapas in Brighton is only 10mins by train. I'd say it's the best tapas bar I've been to.

    From the Hynes it's more like half an hour on a good night.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ozzkev55 wrote: »
    I know it's not in downtown, but Tasca Tapas in Brighton is only 10mins by train. I'd say it's the best tapas bar I've been to.

    From the Hynes it's more like half an hour on a good night.

    and in terms of tapas Toro is better :D

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is an incredibly important question.

    Is there a White Castle anywhere around the convention center? I've always wanted to try that place.

    The_Reflection on
    SYSOP wrote: »

    "The_Reflection has a story, that must be told"..."He is already a legend, and he ain't even old"
    "He can drink a river of blood and not burst"..."He can swallow a desert and never thirst"
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Don't waste your time, it's an abomination to food.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    13032__locke_l.jpg

    Don't tell me what I can't eat.

    The_Reflection on
    SYSOP wrote: »

    "The_Reflection has a story, that must be told"..."He is already a legend, and he ain't even old"
    "He can drink a river of blood and not burst"..."He can swallow a desert and never thirst"
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Apparently there are no White Castles in Massachusetts, so it's a moot point.

    But, if Taco Bell was a gourmet meal, White Castle would be like eating out of the trash... and Taco Bell is a far cry from gourmet.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can't eat White Castle.

    So there.

    (Mostly due to it not existing in MA)

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Ozzkev55 wrote: »
    I know it's not in downtown, but Tasca Tapas in Brighton is only 10mins by train. I'd say it's the best tapas bar I've been to.

    From the Hynes it's more like half an hour on a good night.

    and in terms of tapas Toro is better :D

    I prefer Dali, but it's pretty expensive.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Ozzkev55 wrote: »
    I know it's not in downtown, but Tasca Tapas in Brighton is only 10mins by train. I'd say it's the best tapas bar I've been to.

    From the Hynes it's more like half an hour on a good night.

    and in terms of tapas Toro is better :D

    I prefer Dali, but it's pretty expensive.

    Eh, I could see opting for Dali (and I know a few people who'd agree with you), but I love Ken O.'s places ... Toro has a leg up in my book :)

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone in the Boston area seen a chip called Sabritones in local convenience stores?

    The_Reflection on
    SYSOP wrote: »

    "The_Reflection has a story, that must be told"..."He is already a legend, and he ain't even old"
    "He can drink a river of blood and not burst"..."He can swallow a desert and never thirst"
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone in the Boston area seen a chip called Sabritones in local convenience stores?

    Eh, you could check one of the many Spanish markets, but they tend to be in the rougher parts of the city.

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
This discussion has been closed.