As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That town... there's something wrong with that town...

• Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alright, I've been playing Shattered Memories intensely all weekend. Undoubtedly it has the most convincing performances of the series, but as I expected, the sequences with the enemies are a chore to get through. It's thrilling the first couple of times, but there is never any variation

That said (thanks Curb Your Enthusiasm)
    the drowning-in-the-car sequence was incredibly disturbing! do not play this game if you have a particular phobia of dying slowly and horribly while entrapped under water!

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's an iphone in this game really

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TabascoTabasco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is this officially the first game with an iPhone in it? Because I am surprised it didn't happen sooner to be honest.

Tabasco on
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's not really an iPhone, just a generic smartphone

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh OK, never mind then. I thought you guys were saying it was like Apple product placement haha.

Tabasco on
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    shattered memories is actually sounding pretty good

would it be a good first silent hill game (considering that i don't have access to the other ones)

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My friend picked it up at release and he says it's one of his favorite silent hill games thus far

he is a fanboy who has played the series five or six times and runs a fantastic silent hill pen and paper RPG

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    how would that even work

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what

the rpg? pretty effectively

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    roll my saving throw against rape

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    well i mean silent hill relies pretty heavily on visuals and audio

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    roll on the FATAL vaginal penetration chart

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    does pyramid head's dick penetrate past your intestinal lining

roll fort save

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    but really, he does a good job and goes waaaay out of his way to generate the ambiance with music, maps, good narration, planning ahead, and by generally behaving like a well organized, prepared GM

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    well i'm imagining something close to a call of cthulhu type game

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like it would be pretty awesome actually.

Tabasco on
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    more or less, only with a lot more terrified running and grisly death

every time i've played except for once it has ended in some horrible TPK

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    use my 18 charisma score to seduce the grisly murder nurse with the sweet cans

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dude, shortest SH game ever. It doesn't clock your run time but I got, maybe... 4 hours out of it? Although I think Origins (also developed by Climax) might have been shorter, I think I finished that in 3 and a half hours.

Anyway, my thoughts, which contain spoilers and junk:
    It's not the series-destroying behemoth I thought it would be. All told, the plot is actually rather clever, and the ending (the one I got, at least) was both satisfying and bewildering, which is the hallmark of a decent Silent Hill ending. It comes pretty close to SH2 in terms of satisfying emotional arcs. Certainly closer than Homecoming, which was such a blank, hollow experience. I also appreciated that the game touched on an otherwise tired SH trademark (guilt and the resulting denial) and put a new spin on it.

Several things bug, though. As I mentioned before, the chase sequences are a chore, and not terribly fun to play. The exploration bits are interesting but incredibly linear. And I have to ask: if the Wii is as powerful as two X-Boxes (or whatever), why does Shattered Memories look worse than Silent Hill 3, a six year old PS2 game?

Also, this is not a Silent Hill game. It's an interesting and sometimes thrilling adventure game, but Silent Hill it is not. The plot is personal, which is good, but there's nothing conveyed about the town itself - this could happen anywhere (a nitpick I had with the movie). The only tangible thing that connects this game with the series is Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and Akira's not sticking around any more.

It was a fun experiment that's worth checking out (it's certainly more satisfying than Homecoming was), but the series needs to go back to Japan. Given that Team Silent has disbanded, I would hand off the reigns to whoever's developing the Siren games.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So it's a decent rental is what you're saying.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, pretty much! If you've got a Wii and you like adventure games and the premise intrigues you, there are worse ways to spend four hours

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Like watching Beautician And the Beast twice in a row

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Or listening to Britney Spears: The Singles Collection

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deemer, you make me smile.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I'll just replay 1 & 3 instead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Deemer, you want to hang out tomorrow? I'll be in Toronto at about 5ish. Tentative plans are to sushi with Pony.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    is there still a psychological test at the beginning of the game that affects how the game tries to freak you out

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah, dang, short notice much! Work and school have me on a short leash for week nights. How long are you in Toronto for? I'm up for weekend hang outs
    Butters wrote: »

:mrgreen:

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    is there still a psychological test at the beginning of the game that affects how the game tries to freak you out

Yes, that's still there. There are actually multiple psychological tests spread throughout the game, sort of as a framing device

As a fair warning to everyone, don't start the game around family/friends/ex lovers/current lovers, unless you want them to know if you've ever cheated on someone and if you like role playing during sex. I also think it asks if you're a virgin?

But if they already know, I guess there's no harm

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i think i'll rent this soonish while i can still get rentals for $5

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The psychological test sounds like the most interesting part.

I wonder if you get a completely innocent game if you haven't done anything wrong, like with the little girl in SH2.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Ah, dang, short notice much! Work and school have me on a short leash for week nights. How long are you in Toronto for? I'm up for weekend hang outs
    Butters wrote: »

:mrgreen:

sadly, only Tuesday and Wednesday.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's poop, Orik. Are you going to Pax East? This guy is.

Also, has anyone else managed to play this yet? I've been meaning to replay and slant my test answers to be more perverted (because, you know, I am clean and moral, as my first playthrough can attest) and I want to see how much changes, aside from the monsters growing boobs.

And check out the soundtrack! It's worth going to EB and seeing if they have any extras leftover from people skipping out on their preorder. There's a particularly creepy cover of a Willie Nelson song, of all things

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The psychological test sounds like the most interesting part.

I wonder if you get a completely innocent game if you haven't done anything wrong, like with the little girl in SH2.

The game will probably assume you're a liar and will throw shit at you about being dishonest.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Redeemer wrote: »
    That's poop, Orik. Are you going to Pax East? This guy is.
    i might if i have cash! basically the superstars of the interactive fiction world are going to present and i want to see them if i have money

maybe if you're driving we could work something out

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am pondering getting the PS2 or PSP version of this game as it intrigues me

I'm angling towards psp just because it will be less likely to freak me out if I'm playing it on a bus or something

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My girlfriend wants this for Christmas. How scary is it

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    did you see the quick look on giantbomb

it is that scary

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What is giantbomb

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I never know who knows about that site and who don't

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-silent-hill-shattered-memories/17-1774/

it is a pretty good video game site and the dudes who run it are pretty funny dudes

they do quick looks of games which are basically 10-30 minute chunks of them playing a game and commenting on it

they are a pretty handy way to get a handle on whether or not you'd enjoy a game and also pretty funny most of the time

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif