As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wysiwyg posting mode gone?

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
i ran a search in this forum to see if there was an answer, but nothing came up...is wysiwyg post editing mode gone? it used to be an available posting option, but when i check the options now wysiwyg is totally gone. what happened?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2009
    I do not know what that is.

Tube on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do not know what that is.
    User Panel -> Edit Options -> scroll down to Miscellaneous Options -> Message Editor Interface.

There used to be a "what you see is what you get" option in addition to the "basic" and "standard" that appear there now.

Thanatos on
    edited December 2009
    wysiwyg is far too long to be an effective acronym

Tube on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's a word pronounced "wussey wig." That's much faster than what you see is what you get.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah but it doesn't say Interface Option so much as it says Gnome.

Tube on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i don't...i don't know what that means.

do i have to find some gnomes for wysiwyg posting to come back?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, as an acronym, it's a pain in the ass. But it's been around since the early Geocities days. I'm honestly surprised you've never heard of it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

would you at least consider introducing mxyzptlk posting mode

Butler on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    WYSIWYG is older than the internet.

What exactly did this editing option provide over basic or advanced though?

JustinSane07 on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WYSIWYG is older than the internet.

What exactly did this editing option provide over basic or advanced though?

I don't know what the difference between basic and advanced is, but the rich editor gave you ability to basically preview your post as you composed it. If you put a picture in, you didn't see the url surrounded in IMG tags, you saw the picture or if you bolded something, it showed in the editor window as bolded.

NotASenator on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's what I figured it did, but I wasn't sure. In that case, it was probably dropped just for being a rarely used redundancy. It does the same thing as 'preview post' and forum posts just aren't long or complicated enough for wizzywig as you type mode to be needed.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's what I figured it did, but I wasn't sure. In that case, it was probably dropped just for being a rarely used redundancy. It does the same thing as 'preview post' and forum posts just aren't long or complicated enough for wizzywig as you type mode to be needed.

It might not be necessary, but it would be useful.

Hylianbunny on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, I'd been wondering where it went. I used WYSIWIG mode all the time. Too bad, I suppose.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I did not know about this mode before it vanished, but I would have enjoyed using it for PBP posting in the Critical Failures forum.

Rius on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

It might not be necessary, but it would be useful.

also, i would think wysiwyg would slightly lighten server load, since the preview of your post is happening client side.

at least i think this is how it worked. using javascripts and such client side. but if it was server-side all along, i can understand why Ramius and/or alpha and/or whoever else would disable it.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rius wrote: »

I did not know about this mode before it vanished, but I would have enjoyed using it for PBP posting in the Critical Failures forum.

It is for exactly this reason that I miss it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I was like "hrm i wonder if there is a wysiwyg editor add-on for firefox that manipulates the text area on any forum into one"

and holy crap, someone actually did!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3795

Testing it now... it seems to open up the bottom half of the browser window as the editor.

bold

italics

underline

it's pretty basic and generic though

if someone wanted to (not it) modify it to work with the pa forums software that'd probably be the best bet

FyreWulff on