As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HELP ON] Buying a new "gaming" laptop

SoguiSogui Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm in college, my laptop is crap, as any self-respecting college student I appreciate the finer things in life, namely gaming. But with my laughable excuse for a laptop, and a recent surge in $$$ from relatives and a nice $1000 check from UT for unused cash from my grants for the fall semester, I'm definitely in the market for a new laptop that can handle games.

So I'm looking for a gaming laptop, but the price range would be the most bang-for-the-buck in the $1000-1500 price range, ideally a LOWER price for something that can handle higher-end gaming. Games that I enjoy run along the lines of WoW, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Total War Series and occasionally some Half-Life 2. I'm also interested in the idea of grabbing Oblivion before I head back assuming that Burning Crusade doesn't devour my schedule.

I came across a nice Dell refurbishing site, and I lost it, and I found one again that appears to be similar, except with less search options and overall crappy quality (their "best" one right now has 512mb of RAM).

So what I'm looking for, if "gaming" laptop isn't detailed enough is:

-1gb of RAM
-Good Video Card, I have no idea of how Laptop Video Cards run compared to desktop ones, let alone what a "good" laptop video card is.
-Processor Speed... well, this is embarassing, but can you estimate a dual-core processor speed simply by adding the amount of the individual processors? aka a dual-core pentium 1.6ghz processor = what you'd expect from a 3.2ghz processor? I'm just winging it here and would love a better explanation of how dual (and the soon to come quad-core) core processors stack up against the single-core processors that I've been accustomed to.
-Biggest Screen Possible, widescreen is nice, but not nescessary.
-Weight isn't a concern for a manly man such as myself.

Forgive any technical faux pas, I am quite a noob when it comes to computer hardware, even more so when it comes to deciding on a laptop, thanks in advance for any and all advice in this difficult decision.

Sogui on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you've got $1500 I think you'd still be better off buying a $1000 desktop and a $500 laptop.

As to answer a question, dual core isn't a simple matter of adding the processor speeds. If you're running applications that'll only take advantage of one core (most games) then it'll only perform as well as a single core processor. Dual core's current advantages are mainly multimedia apps (vid encoding etc) although next year we'll be seeing more games taking advantage of multiple cores but even then it'll probably be a case of better AI or Physics

edit:

Sorry I guess I ought to add a qualifier to that. a $1500 laptop really won't get you very far. Especially on the gaming front. I'm sure you could buy one that'll play HL2/WoW easily. But for recent games such as Oblivion and the more intensive games coming out next year UT2007 etc it'll be low end. A year later it'll be an expensive paper weight since you sacrificed such things as battery life and portability to game on the thing.

Rook on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most people will scoff at the idea of a "gaming laptop", and they're half right.

You won't be able to play BF2 or HL2 w/ "High" graphics settings, and the price range is much steeper for similar hardware that you would get in a desktop.

At the same time, if you're willing to spend 1500 you can get a laptop that can run BF2/HL2/WoW at a decent 20 FPS if you're willing to accept that "Very High" texture quality will never be yours. The awesomeness of being able to transport a laptop that can play WoW or BF2 with a 17" screen is completely misunderstood by most PC enthusiasts.

Personally if you want help I'd recommend looking at PC Worlds rankings of "power" laptops. http://www.pcworld.com/ic/laptops/

P.S. Make sure you set your resolution for your laptop and all games at the native resolution for your screen, I cringe when I see all my college friends with jagged edges on icons on their desktop.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do not buy a gaming laptop unless you want to have it sit on your desk and work as desktop. The battery life will be crap and it will produce a lot of heat. If you need a gaming machine, build a $500 to $1000 desktop and use the leftovers for a cheap laptop.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you need a gaming machine get a desktop. A desktop is cheaper, faster, and more efficient. A laptop will not help you in any regard especially if you think your going to sit in on a class and squeeze in a game of CSS. Your teacher will walk by and off your balls with a broken petrie dish.

However if you need a quick laptop game piece then go to dell.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People here are somewhat right, gaming laptops aren't great. You know what? If you want to game in places other than your room, then buy one, fuck what these people say. It's tiring hearing this over and over in these threads. The dude asked for a gaming LAPTOP, not 'should I buy a desktop instead?'. For a video card, I think you can get the 7900GS in a mobile form, I have the PCI-E version and it rocks (though I recommend checking out some reviews on the mobile version first). For CPU's, the intel core duo is nice, again I recently got one of those for my desktop and am very happy with it's performance. I was checking the Canadian site of Dell and anywhere from 1300-1700cdn would net a half decent laptop (core duo processor, GeForce 7900GS or ATI1400 if you don't to spend money on a good card, and 1GB RAM, 17" screen) by the looks of it. If you want to game on a laptop you have to prepare to pay the extra money for mobility and you will probably suffer in performance from a comparable desktop.

djklay on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Although I agree that you would get much more power from a separate desktop at even half that price one of the forumers did mention a pretty nice laptop that could also play games acceptably:

http://powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=378

He mentioned that there's a big difference in portability between 14" and bigger laptops.

From the specs the 7600 Go seems to be somewhere between the 7300GT and 7600GS so I would guess performance a bit better than a 9800Pro? I think people played HL2 with those...

Anyway, I think you could get it for ~$1500 with the faster CPU and both of the wireless interfaces (the 7200rpm drives are supposedly noticeably faster and if you get 1GB in one stick you can upgrade it yourself to 2GB saving ~$25).

Don't worry about the CPUs, most of the time they aren't that important for games.
    I think a 1,8GHz C2D would be roughly equivalent to a 4,2GHz P4?
    At least the 4200+ Athlons are somewhat comparable to the 1,83GHz E6300 and their ratings were supposed to compare them to P4s...

For comparison, for <$850 you could get a desktop with a video card (X1900XT) that would be leagues better than that laptop card (it's about 120% faster than a 7600GT which is about two times as fast as the 7600GS, and the Go is slower than the GS...) though admittedly, a $150 LCD display will probably be a not-so-good 19" or only-acceptable 17".
    I also don't know how good a $500 laptop would be for work...

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    indextop20061024.jpg

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    indextop20061024.jpg

But they are $2K even without counting in the seatbelts.

Also: only 1GB of RAM.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gaming laptops have a battery life of about a half hour, get as hot as the sun and weigh almost as much.

Plus, in three years, you won't be able to upgrade them at all, and your laptop will be about as powerful as then-current ultraportable models, only it will weigh fifty pounds and the battery life will be even shorter than it was when you bought it.

A desktop, three years down the line, when it's starting to struggle, you buy a new graphics card and suddenly new games work great again.

This is coming from the owner of a now three-year-old "gaming" laptop. Trust me, it's never a good idea.

By the way, anyone want to buy a three-year-old gaming laptop off of me? It can handle UT2004 on "Very High", and even play HL2 on high settings.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gaming laptops are worse at gaming that an equally priced desktop, are hard or impossible to upgrade when they get obsolete, and need to be plugged in to play games. If you can spare the cash and understand the above warnings then go for it.

Stregone on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I did; don't.

Isn't recommending a Mac a bit perverse in a gaming thread?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I did; don't.

Um.

Macs use Intel chips now.

Welcome to last year.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I did; don't.

Um.

Welcome to last year.

If you're going to do bootcamp and run Windows XP for games anyway, why not save $1000 and get a PC laptop with better hardware.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I did; don't.

Um.

Welcome to last year.

If you're going to do bootcamp and run Windows XP for games anyway, why not save $1000 and get a PC laptop with better hardware.

Or save $1500-$2000 and get a desktop for gaming.

Like we've been saying this whole thread.

What I'm getting at here is that a Macbook Pro is just as stupid a purchase as any other gaming laptop.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I did; don't.

Um.

Welcome to last year.

Or save $1500-$2000 and get a desktop for gaming.

Like we've been saying this whole thread.

What I'm getting at here is that a Macbook Pro is just as stupid a purchase as any other gaming laptop.

What I'm getting at is that it's an even more stupid purchase.

IN ANY EVENT: Would it be possible to get a regular laptop with a good battery life, portability, and the capability to run WoW? All it'd really need would be a gig of ram, I guess, at a GeForce 5900 or something, but I don't know what factors into battery drain on laptops.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I did; don't.

Um.

Welcome to last year.

Yeah, I gotta agree. If one of your main interests is gaming, and you want a laptop, why bother getting a Mac and then use it like a PC via bootcamp. Seems a hell of a lot simpler to just buy a PC laptop. Nothing the OP says seems to indicate that he has any particular need for a Mac.

However, given that the OP already has a laptop which is probably suitable for his work/school needs, I'd recommend he just spend his cash on a gaming PC. More bang for his buck performance wise.

Edit: This might be useful for people trying to evaluate latop graphics cards:
    Mobile Graphics Cards Info Page

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You couldn't afford a gaming laptop anyways.

Because the best ones are like, $1500, but skin graft surgery on your lap to replace sizzled and scorched flesh is another $4000.

Seriously, the first reply hit it on the head.

$1000 desktop for gaming, and a $500 cheap laptop for laptop stuff. Or keep your old one.

Gaming laptops are just not something I would consider worth it.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=378

Blah blahblah do not get a gaeimiong labtalp!!!0oionez

Go for that one right there. Good enough to run oblivion on med/high at 40 fps. Decently compact and sturdy enough to be portable. Also, the card doesn't really produce much heat or draw much power when not playing 3D games, and you can expect a realistic 3 hours of general usage out of it. It's a good ODM, as they supply parts for Dell, Toshiba, and HP. I almost bought it, but decided on getting an $830 Dell that can also play most games on medium settings.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    here's the link to the dell outlet site. They have the XPS laptops on there and while most have said don't get a laptop for gaming its your 1000-1500 so have fun :)

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~ck=bt

smokmnky on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get the "don't buy a gaming laptop" argument, unless I'm misunderstanding the term. A "gaming laptop", to me, is basically anything that's not using an Intel integrated graphics chipset.

Ihave a laptop with a Geforce Go4 440 64MB, and while I didn't play Gothic 3, the Supreme Commander beta or other known system-killers on it, I think it's fine for Dawn of War or even Half Life 2 at lower graphics settings. I can use it in my family room, at my parents' house, in hotels, etc., and I think that's pretty neat. The battery life issue doesn't bother me, because I never use it on the bus, plane or what have you; it's always plugged in. Am I doing it wrong, or is this not what people mean by a gaming laptop?

On a side note (or, er, on topic, actually), I have to tentatively recommend against buying HP/Compaqs, because I'm having quality issues with my battery/AC adapter, and I'm finding that customer support is somewhat crap, at least once you're out of warranty.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Orogogus wrote:
    I don't get the "don't buy a gaming laptop" argument, unless I'm misunderstanding the term. A "gaming laptop", to me, is basically anything that's not using an Intel integrated graphics chipset.

Ihave a laptop with a Geforce Go4 440 64MB, and while I didn't play Gothic 3, the Supreme Commander beta or other known system-killers on it, I think it's fine for Dawn of War or even Half Life 2 at lower graphics settings.

So even older games run only at lower settings, you can't really play new ones, and you claim this is a gaming laptop?

It's more of a laptop that can play 3D games on at all.

Although not as portable as a laptop you could build a full-featured Small Form Factor PC which would also be fairly portable (Shuttle has some bags for their PCs and LCDs). Packing it up would take a bit more time but it would be much more powerful and/or cheaper.

I wonder if there is a market for a case that desktop components would fit into but would also allow attaching an LCD/keyboard/mouse for quick packing into a uniform and compact package...

robaal on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the options and things you have to get to make the laptop decent for gaming strip away all the benefits of it being a laptop

its just a stupid stupid thing

tons of heat, massive weight and size (for a good sized screen) - carting around extras like a mouse and headphones, and the power supply (because your battery life will be shit)

i mean... isnt a laptop supposed to be a small compact and easy to transport computer?

a Dell XPS laptop, for example is NOT very portable or economical

so then why get a laptop at all?

you want to game well, get a desktop, you need a portable computer, get a laptop. dont try to get the best of both and end up super shitty at either

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Slight rephrase.

I want a laptop to do video editing on. I have done this at work with macs, and it's not that bad (although you need an output monitor to get a proper idea of what the display will look like).

Alternatively, I'd like a laptop with tablet features.

Are those affordable yet?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    notdekknotdekk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've bought two 'gaming laptops' in the last three years. From my experience, I really need to echo what most people are saying about it being a little silly financially. Most of these machines are meant to be desktop replacements, so it's naturally a pain in the ass to lug it anywhere and battery life is typically laughable. The biggest problem, though, is the fact that I was upset with both laptops' video cards within a year-and-a-half of buying them. The processors were still fine, the ram was still fine, but the video cards were showing their age and there wasn't anything I could do about it short of dropping another $1,500 or $2,000 on a new machine.

Since it's such a bulky machine, you're likely going to be doing most of your gaming at home. Since you're going to be doing most of your gaming at home, you may as well get the desktop and not worry about being disappointed with your purchase a year down the line when it starts to show its age.

notdekk on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You guys, he didn't freaking asked if he should get one. He asked for assistance. Does everyone need to throw in their two cents on if his choice is a good one or not?

Now, I like my laptop. 650 dollars, its not a gaming laptop, but I can play HL2 on it, etc. I bought it so I could have the specs to play just about anything out at the time I got it, though it really was for college.

Could I have gotten something cheaper, and retained pretty much all the non-gaming functions? Sure, but its great to have a laptop. I can play starcraft while laying in bed. I can play Vampire the Masquerade at college(and teachers don't give a shit, as long as you keep to yourself, and don't make a disruption).

I like being able to listen to music, without having to spend another 150 dollars for an Ipod with less hard drive space. My battery life isn't great, about an hour doing heavy lifting, about two just chilling. Its not that heavy, though I forget the exact weight, its not bad.

A gaming laptop, there's no problems with, as long as its not a desktop replacement, or you don't care enough about gaming to need a super nice desktop. I couldn't play Call of duty 2 on this laptop, but so what? Thats when I go to the desktop. Being able to go over to a friends house and play co-op games that aren't brand new is better than playing on a desktop, over voip, with a slightly newer game. To me, anyways.

So how about you guys stop telling him he shouldn't do something, and instead, give him some advice, so he gets the most out of his money at least?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:

I have a laptop with a Geforce Go4 440 64MB, and while I didn't play Gothic 3, the Supreme Commander beta or other known system-killers on it, I think it's fine for Dawn of War or even Half Life 2 at lower graphics settings.

So even older games run only at lower settings, you can't really play new ones, and you claim this is a gaming laptop?

It's more of a laptop that can play 3D games on at all.

Although not as portable as a laptop you could build a full-featured Small Form Factor PC which would also be fairly portable (Shuttle has some bags for their PCs and LCDs). Packing it up would take a bit more time but it would be much more powerful and/or cheaper.
    Eh... It runs reasonably modern 3D games, therefore I call it a gaming laptop. People on this board are playing Dawn of War, so I don't think it's like saying I'm running Minesweeper and therefore it's a gaming laptop. I played Halo PC on it, and to hear from Internet forums you'd think that the game ran at 5 fps on monster desktop setups. While I did turn off all the bells and whistles in DoW, I left it running at 1280x800 because of native resolution. Hell, my laptop is a heck of a lot faster than my desktop (although at $800 with discounts & rebates, it cost 4 times more, too).

If my desktop dies, I doubt I'm going to replace it. I don't know about the OP, but a small form factor PC is the totally wrong choice for me. Playing the latest cutting edge FPS isn't my life's goal (well, maybe Bioshock, but I reckon I'll end up getting a 360 for that...), and the idea of packing up a desktop and a freaking monitor for a business trip just so I play something more graphically intensive than Diablo while I'm out.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would recommend visiting the following site:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

Visit the top forum entitled "What notebook should I buy?", read the sticky FAQ, copy/paste your answers to the FAQ questions, and get some solid advice.

I spent several weeks pouring over this site and asking questions before buying my "gaming" laptop (Sager 5760).
    People there know what they're talking about, and will give you a lot of options with facts to back up the suggestions.

Plus, there are tons and tons of reviews to see how end users liked their purchases - and what the pros and cons were after a few weeks of use.

zhen_rogue on