PAX Prime: Seattle, Labor Day Weekend, 2010

1234568

Posts

  • makostrifemakostrife Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My girlfriend and I are going to attend the entire 3 day marathon together. Friday we're going to tour the city before PAX begins and we'll be there in time for kick off. Lookin' forward to it!

    makostrife on
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm in the same boat as Gundabad. I went to Prime in 06 and loved it, but being a poor college student at the time made an annual ritual of it impossible for me.

    However after an amazing PAX East, and now having a job, I definitely want to make East and Prime an annual tradition for me. Now to convince my friends to take the flight out to Seattle for it. Going from $30 bus fare to $500 airfare makes a big difference.

    Jerkfish on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I imagine concert lineups for Prime are set in stone and aren't up for general request, but Live Concert Miku would be pretty goddamned amazing:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7acxqfGURUw&feature=related

    If anything we should at least be good Americans and co-op the technology. Ethan Mars and Commander Shepard Variety Hour?

    AltDelete on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User
    edited March 2010
    After years of saying, "Man, I should go to PAX this year" and not doing it (including the first year where I had my passes purchased and wound up having to cancel), I have booked a hotel and told my boss that I'm taking time off.

    It's six months away, and I'm already excited. YAY!

    MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The cheapest place that people usually go to is the Green Tortoise Hostel. So look that up.

    Wormdundee on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    The cheapest place that people usually go to is the Green Tortoise Hostel. So look that up.

    But I'm not cheap!

    (wait, that could be taken in a different way... Hm. I'm okay with that.)

    MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Only 156 days to go! Wooo! Not being able to go to PAX-E is making me a little crazy for Prime. Who wants to help me build a hot tub time machine to the future?

    eye-shuh on
    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone have any guesses when passes will go on sale? (Sorry if this has already been answered.)

    I went to PAX East and I am very much going to make an effort to get to Seattle this labor day. Despite the problems, it was awesome.

    likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • PinderPinder Registered User
    edited March 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Only 156 days to go! Wooo! Not being able to go to PAX-E is making me a little crazy for Prime. Who wants to help me build a hot tub time machine to the future?

    Done and done. I'll sketch out some plans later tonight. On a related note, does anyone know how to waterproof a flux capacitor?

    Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pinder wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Only 156 days to go! Wooo! Not being able to go to PAX-E is making me a little crazy for Prime. Who wants to help me build a hot tub time machine to the future?

    Done and done. I'll sketch out some plans later tonight. On a related note, does anyone know how to waterproof a flux capacitor?

    Coat it in Unobtainium, that usually does the trick.

    SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bought my PAXtrain tix today, so I'm already halfway set. Now I just have to wait four months to use them...

    nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm considering making this year's Prime my first visit to PAX. I originally considered PAX East but since I arrange vacations with my family (even at my constantly increasing age) I had to put the plans aside until Prime comes -- not to mention that East sold out before I could make a move on settling a plan. To top it off, my momma's BMW crapped the bed and had to be towed an hours drive away (they moved to Iowa from Miami, FL like I originally did to help me out with some kind of personal shit) 'cause of the nearest service center that can handle such a fancy car -- and though the original repair job was only around 500 bucks it's gonna eventually add another 800 since her front passenger lowbeam rattled loose from all the goddamn potholes we get here in the winter months. Needless to say, we had to reconsider all our vacation plans this year (especially since none of us are working right now) but since I'm... uh, working with some people to attempt to get a job myself I told her that I would try to save up for a family vacation to Seattle if I get one.

    If that happens, I'll be sure to get up there in advance of the family time I plan to include and use the weekend prior for my time at Prime. I also plan to take notes on my visit for publication to a website for those who wish to do an event like PAX so they have an idea of what to expect. Only thing I'm concerned about is what is going to happen to the BYOC provisions after that attempted... uh, "Breach" at East, but only for informative reasons since I'm not currently planning on bringing one (although it would still be of use to those planning ahead for it).

    Jeffsta on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm trying to budget and figure out how much money I have to save in the next few months. I figure I can fly out there for ~400 or so (if I booked now), and one hotel room with four ppl for 4 nights would be one night a person...

    Anyway, I'm also just slightly concerned as in order to do all this, I need to find a job NOW, especially since I have student loans coming up to repayment ($125K of horrors). The only way I'd be completely destressed is if, by some sheer fluke or something, someone or something gave me $1000 or a free trip to PAX. If only the friggin job market would give me a chance to work.

    feitocomfruta on
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone remember what rates were like for the Sheraton (or the other official hotels) last year? I'm trying to get an idea of room costs, and if they included anything like breakfast or internet, pull out couch, etc.

    Last PAX Prime I went to (2008), we stayed at the Spring Hill Suites, which was a short walk to the convention center, but the 5 night stay only cost $100 because of all the Marriott points I had saved up. No points this year, so I'm trying to get a comparison. A suite there is 199-209 per night, for two double beds and a pull out couch...free internet, and an awesome free breakfast (which we are all folks who need our breakfast each morning). Split three ways, it's pretty reasonable, especially with the included breakfast.

    Any info sharing is appreciated!

    Kjeldor on
  • astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think going to PAX Prime would be a wonderful anniversary present for VT and I, don't you think?

    astillac on
  • chicazulchicazul Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Last year hotels worked out to about $200 per person, with 4 people per room. That was using the PAX rate at the Red Lion (Sheraton costs were comparable but they were all booked), so I'm not sure what undiscounted hotel costs are.

    I booked for 12 people, so even though the actual room cost was only about $175-195 per night, I budgeted $200 per person for the weekend to cover parking costs (~$30 per car per night) and any unforseen taxes or fees.

    ETA: Free internet included, but I have no recollection of breakfast. Definitely no pull-outs in our rooms; I think you could get an extra cot for a small fee.

    Edited again because my calculation skills are full of fail. ~$200 per ROOM per night; or, about $200 per person for the whole weekend.

    chicazul on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    Any info sharing is appreciated!

    We actually lucked out last year - We were going to stay at the Grand Hyatt ($169 a night through PAX rates) but when we got there they were still checking out a big group and wanted to know if we wanted to stay at the Olive 8 instead for the same price! I wholeheartedly recommend the Olive, but seeing as that was a freak happenstance and the Olive isn't usually on the con price list I'll probably be looking back at the Grand Hyatt or the Sheraton, which were very similar in price if I remember correctly.

    If it's anything like the last two years there should be special con rates for nearby hotels posted closer to the event. Being right next door to the event is super convenient, and if you're traveling in a 3-4 person group (or can find good people in the inevitable Hotel Room Share Thread) it doesn't have to be terribly expensive.

    AltDelete on
  • Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Bought my PAXtrain tix today, so I'm already halfway set. Now I just have to wait four months to use them...

    Which train is the pax train? Id love to get a jump on this. Thanks!

    Slipstream0 on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Hotels aren't bad if you don't mind sharing. Plus the Green Tortoise is always an option for the especially low budget. The beds there are pretty awful, but the bathrooms were surprisingly nice and the Sunday free dinner was effing amazing.
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    Only thing I'm concerned about is what is going to happen to the BYOC provisions after that attempted... uh, "Breach" at East, but only for informative reasons since I'm not currently planning on bringing one (although it would still be of use to those planning ahead for it).

    What on earth does that have to do with the BYOC? It was one person and that's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening at PAX. Dang crazy East coasters...
    astillac wrote: »
    I think going to PAX Prime would be a wonderful anniversary present for VT and I, don't you think?

    SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! <3<3<3

    eye-shuh on
    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited March 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Bought my PAXtrain tix today, so I'm already halfway set. Now I just have to wait four months to use them...

    Which train is the pax train? Id love to get a jump on this. Thanks!


    Someone will do an official post for the PAX train and the CCST when it's time.

    eye-shuh on
    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    astillac wrote: »
    I think going to PAX Prime would be a wonderful anniversary present for VT and I, don't you think?

    Oh man, the room sharing deal just got a lot more awkward! ;-)

    jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • cuennascuennas Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Just got back from east a few days ago and already plaining my newb prime visit i am so amped for prie since everyone keeps saying it will be bigger and better then east. looking at flights and hotels now. sept is gonna be great anyone coming from new york let me know none of my friends wanna go so ill be flying solo wouldnt hurt to know people there before i get there lol

    cuennas on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    You might want to wait on hotels until PA announces the PAX hotels.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User
    edited March 2010
    PAX East just got me hungry for more.

    I am seriously considering Prime now.

    Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 Registered User
    edited March 2010
    FFFFUUUUCCKKK I want to go to prime soooo bad,I'm sorta relying on the PAXtrain (Can't do the CCST until I get a car) the only thing is finding out when it's going down and how much it will cost. A long ride to seattle would only be possible if I'm among my pax-peers.

    klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

    Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

    @Astonishingmike on twitter

    STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After watching Moe's video of last years CCST, I'm seriously considering joining up for this years. Just need to make sure I can get enough days off for the drive there and back. Hopefully having labor day off will help with that.

    Jerkfish on
  • PhoricPhoric Registered User
    edited March 2010
    So I'm wondering two things:
    1) What are the requirements for being an enforcer?
    and if I'm allowed to
    2) Where can I sign up?

    My questions come because I'm 15 (young, I know), but my big bro is an enforcer, and I've been slightly immersed in its culture, and want to be a part of it. If I can't do it till I'm 18 it'll just build the suspense, but if I can I'd love to.

    Phoric on
    [Generic Witty Comment]
  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    Only thing I'm concerned about is what is going to happen to the BYOC provisions after that attempted... uh, "Breach" at East, but only for informative reasons since I'm not currently planning on bringing one (although it would still be of use to those planning ahead for it).

    What on earth does that have to do with the BYOC? It was one person and that's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening at PAX. Dang crazy East coasters...

    The reason I asked is that because of the attempted burglary (or whatever else you call it), PAX organizers may have to increase security to the detriment of the BYOC provisions - either meaning the BYOC is toast now, or at the least they will no longer allow them to be checked out of the BYOC room until after the show concludes. I just wanted people to know in advance of what happens to this longstanding PAX tradition going forward, hence my question.

    This is of course pure speculation on my part -- but when the bits hit the fan like this, something has to give somewhere.

    Jeffsta on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phoric wrote: »
    So I'm wondering two things:
    1) What are the requirements for being an enforcer?
    and if I'm allowed to
    2) Where can I sign up?

    My questions come because I'm 15 (young, I know), but my big bro is an enforcer, and I've been slightly immersed in its culture, and want to be a part of it. If I can't do it till I'm 18 it'll just build the suspense, but if I can I'd love to.

    You need to be 18, minimum, to be an enforcer.
    Also being local to the PAX You are volunteering for helps as well.

    If the callout goes to the public, it would be on the front page of Penny-Arcade, so watch there.
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    Only thing I'm concerned about is what is going to happen to the BYOC provisions after that attempted... uh, "Breach" at East, but only for informative reasons since I'm not currently planning on bringing one (although it would still be of use to those planning ahead for it).

    What on earth does that have to do with the BYOC? It was one person and that's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening at PAX. Dang crazy East coasters...

    The reason I asked is that because of the attempted burglary (or whatever else you call it), PAX organizers may have to increase security to the detriment of the BYOC provisions - either meaning the BYOC is toast now, or at the least they will no longer allow them to be checked out of the BYOC room until after the show concludes. I just wanted people to know in advance of what happens to this longstanding PAX tradition going forward, hence my question.

    What does this have to do with the BYOC room? That guy was never in BYOC to begin with (I got a call to check on this when it happened).

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Which train is the pax train? Id love to get a jump on this. Thanks!


    Someone will do an official post for the PAX train and the CCST when it's time.

    Eye-shuh:
    It's time. This is the latest I've left my PAX train tix, I usually start purchasing in Feb because prices go up as Amtrak hits certain ticket sales marks.

    nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Phoric wrote: »
    So I'm wondering two things:
    1) What are the requirements for being an enforcer?
    and if I'm allowed to
    2) Where can I sign up?

    My questions come because I'm 15 (young, I know), but my big bro is an enforcer, and I've been slightly immersed in its culture, and want to be a part of it. If I can't do it till I'm 18 it'll just build the suspense, but if I can I'd love to.

    You need to be 18, minimum, to be an enforcer.
    Also being local to the PAX You are volunteering for helps as well.

    If the callout goes to the public, it would be on the front page of Penny-Arcade, so watch there.
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    Only thing I'm concerned about is what is going to happen to the BYOC provisions after that attempted... uh, "Breach" at East, but only for informative reasons since I'm not currently planning on bringing one (although it would still be of use to those planning ahead for it).

    What on earth does that have to do with the BYOC? It was one person and that's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening at PAX. Dang crazy East coasters...

    The reason I asked is that because of the attempted burglary (or whatever else you call it), PAX organizers may have to increase security to the detriment of the BYOC provisions - either meaning the BYOC is toast now, or at the least they will no longer allow them to be checked out of the BYOC room until after the show concludes. I just wanted people to know in advance of what happens to this longstanding PAX tradition going forward, hence my question.

    What does this have to do with the BYOC room? That guy was never in BYOC to begin with (I got a call to check on this when it happened).

    Like I said, I was just making speculation. So just make of it as you desire, since people like you would be the ones to make the final call on what to do in the future as far as people bringing their stuff for the BYOC. I only threw it out as a theory so leave it there and be done with it. The only reason I brought it up is on the off chance someone wishes to use a laptop instead of a full-blown rig (after all, it was a laptop used for the attempted theft) since there are several designed for the gaming populace as it is with desktop towers. It only takes another stray laptop to serve as a conduit for a copycat attack the next time around if someone doesn't follow the rules after checking out their machine from the BYOC. (God forbid anyone even has the nerve to go that far...)

    But like I said, just figure out the best possible approach to deal with this in the future regarding the BYOC provisions in light of this near-disaster (where gaming laptops are concerned, anyway -- even if it means "towers only") and let everyone else figure out the rest. Speaking of which, how many people (if applicable) have used or considered using their laptop at PAX? (That would be a good indicator of what to do in this situation -- like with the dropping an underused feature on the PS3 for security reasons, although it's more like apples and oranges with that). And if my questions are a bit on the odd side as far as what happened even after this explanation of where I'm coming from on the issue, then feel free to disregard any of the off-center bits I put out there.

    Jeffsta on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    FFFFUUUUCCKKK I want to go to prime soooo bad,I'm sorta relying on the PAXtrain (Can't do the CCST until I get a car) the only thing is finding out when it's going down and how much it will cost. A long ride to seattle would only be possible if I'm among my pax-peers.

    The only PAX train for prime is the one that runs up the west coast. As it stands the only cross-continental routes to PAX Prime are the CCST or an airplane.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can finally come out of the woodwork, now that East is over and I don't have to be jealous of everyone going. Bring on Prime!

    Kyouteki on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Eye-shuh:
    It's time. This is the latest I've left my PAX train tix, I usually start purchasing in Feb because prices go up as Amtrak hits certain ticket sales marks.
    I'll Second that. I've already bought my tickets. I'm fighting Post-PAX depression by organizing my next trip.

    smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Ah well, I didn't know the official train trip only ran up the West coast.

    Also people are going to be getting started late anyway since we're not use to having two a year.

    eye-shuh on
    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of train trips, I encourage everyone to use the airport light rail if they fly in. It's priced better than any cab or shuttle, takes you downtown, and isn't as lame as the bus. I took the 194/174 for years to get to the airport and in one trip I'll never do that again. Since most of you are only going to have a duffel bag you needn't worry about luggage space or anything.

    mrt144 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jeffsta wrote: »

    Like I said, I was just making speculation. So just make of it as you desire, since people like you would be the ones to make the final call on what to do in the future as far as people bringing their stuff for the BYOC. I only threw it out as a theory so leave it there and be done with it. The only reason I brought it up is on the off chance someone wishes to use a laptop instead of a full-blown rig (after all, it was a laptop used for the attempted theft) since there are several designed for the gaming populace as it is with desktop towers. It only takes another stray laptop to serve as a conduit for a copycat attack the next time around if someone doesn't follow the rules after checking out their machine from the BYOC. (God forbid anyone even has the nerve to go that far...)

    But like I said, just figure out the best possible approach to deal with this in the future regarding the BYOC provisions in light of this near-disaster (where gaming laptops are concerned, anyway -- even if it means "towers only") and let everyone else figure out the rest. Speaking of which, how many people (if applicable) have used or considered using their laptop at PAX? (That would be a good indicator of what to do in this situation -- like with the dropping an underused feature on the PS3 for security reasons, although it's more like apples and oranges with that). And if my questions are a bit on the odd side as far as what happened even after this explanation of where I'm coming from on the issue, then feel free to disregard any of the off-center bits I put out there.

    I still dont understand what you are saying. How does this have ANYTHING to do with the BYOC room? That guy wasnt even in the room, he just brought a Laptop to pax, just like thousands of other attendees did.

    I think you dont understand what the BYOC room is...

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand where you're coming from either Jeffsta. There are laptops all over the place at PAX and I don't see at all how this would affect BYOC security.

    Wormdundee on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Speaking of train trips, I encourage everyone to use the airport light rail if they fly in. It's priced better than any cab or shuttle, takes you downtown, and isn't as lame as the bus. I took the 194/174 for years to get to the airport and in one trip I'll never do that again. Since most of you are only going to have a duffel bag you needn't worry about luggage space or anything.

    Does the light rail make it all the way up to the airport now? Last year we had to take a bus a little of the way, but I hear they were completing the route.

    AltDelete on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AltDelete wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Speaking of train trips, I encourage everyone to use the airport light rail if they fly in. It's priced better than any cab or shuttle, takes you downtown, and isn't as lame as the bus. I took the 194/174 for years to get to the airport and in one trip I'll never do that again. Since most of you are only going to have a duffel bag you needn't worry about luggage space or anything.

    Does the light rail make it all the way up to the airport now? Last year we had to take a bus a little of the way, but I hear they were completing the route.

    Yep, all done! It's just a short walk from the terminal to the station (Only asthmatics and the morbidly obese will claim it is too far).

    mrt144 on
This discussion has been closed.