As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D Character design

chewiechewie Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
A friend of mine recently roped me into playing some D&D.
I think I'm more excited to draw characters than playing the actual game.

Here's my character, a Dwarf Fighter:

orin_portrait.jpg

just a scan from the ink, but I would like to do a paintover if time permits.

chewie on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    holey shit! Welcome back

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, Metal

Oh... crits welcome. I've got a thick skin.

chewie on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh wow, hi Chewie!

Pretty swank. Maybe you could use more filled black areas to balance the beard but if you're coloring it then maybe not.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Glad to see you're still alive and kickin, Chewie!

You planning on throwing some color on that?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    most of my drawing time takes place while I'm waitin for my puter to render stuff, which pretty much brings the puter to a standstill. I'd like to try my hand at doing a full digital painted version, but that will take some after hours time.

plus I'd like to work on drawings of the rest of my d&d crew. Trying to get a Dragonborn character done. man its been a long time since I drew regularly. It aint like riding a bike.

chewie on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Oh my god it's chewie! Everyone is deciding to come back all at once! (I am not complaining)

I can't stop picturing his moustache as being nose hair.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »
    Maybe you could use more filled black areas to balance the beard but if you're coloring it then maybe not.

Agreed. The black of the beard does stand out. If I don't do a complete paintover, I should do some shadow work to balance out the beard.

chewie on
  • Options
    tutankhamuntutankhamun Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    An amazing character. Luv it... Why is his left leg shorter? :D LOL

tutankhamun on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh god no
    chewie is back

one more beaver to contend with, just when i had munkus pretty much under control.

beavotron on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like this, I dig the line variation a lot.

Also, I remember you!

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    His shield and hammer really capture the 4.0 aesthetic. Very geometric.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That looks fundamentally quite sound. I'm wondering, though, if the character has any quirks that might separate him from your typical hammer brandishin' skull shield wieldin' Dwarf. I've never played D&D, but I'm familiar with fantasy archetypes and this looks perhaps a bit generic so far. Love the technical precision of the lines, though.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    That looks fundamentally quite sound. I'm wondering, though, if the character has any quirks that might separate him from your typical hammer brandishin' skull shield wieldin' Dwarf. I've never played D&D, but I'm familiar with fantasy archetypes and this looks perhaps a bit generic so far. Love the technical precision of the lines, though.

His name is Orin Skullcrusher (from the Jon Colton song), so the family crest (skull with a crack in it) is on the shield. Thats about the only unique thing going on so far. He's just starting out, so I wanted him to have mostly standard equipment. Plus, I really have never drawn fantasy characters before, so my mental toolbox of equipment is still pretty basic and I'm not a huge fan of they crazy over elaborate armor that I see in the books.

As far as his legs/feet...ya, they are kinda not right. His feet aren't planted on the same plane. I may draw in some uneven rocks cause I kinda like the "happy mistake" as Bob Ross would have called it.

I also want to change his hammer head, being he has a Craghammer now (pointy on one end) and the hammer head itself doesn't match the perspective plane of his hand, so I have to fix it anyway.

chewie on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, lets see. He's got his family emblem on both his shield and his belt buckle, so he's probably very proud of his family name. And any idiot can make a warrior, name it skullcrusher, and go from there, but lets make it interesting: What if he's from a long line of mine foremen? As in, "don't make me come down there and crush some skulls." Give him some stuff to denote authority, like a cape. A bullhorn for shouting instructions or some rolled up parchments sticking out of his pack (because people in charge are always carrying around papers). He also has to make a good impression, being an authority figure, so give him some nice boots. Steel boots that are polished, but have a couple dings because he works for a living.

Emphasize the receding hairline, because his job is stressful. Maybe give him a hat, too, in order to cover it up. And this is a perfect segue into why he's not in a mine and out adventuring: He's fed up with constantly having to put up with idiot underlings and decided to take an assignment scouting out new sites for dwarfish endeavors. For that matter, he might actually enjoy adventuring more than his previous job, as now he only has four or five idiot underlings to put up with (the other adventurers) instead of fifty, and doesn't have to live in the constant fear of them bringing the entire mountain down on his head with one mis-strike of a pick. That, and his frustrations are usually quickly worked out by skull-crushing whatever idiot monsters wander across the party and give them grief.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    After reading the nose hair comment, that's all I can see now.
    Well, lets see. He's got his family emblem on both his shield and his belt buckle, so he's probably very proud of his family name. And any idiot can make a warrior, name it skullcrusher, and go from there, but lets make it interesting: What if he's from a long line of mine foremen? As in, "don't make me come down there and crush some skulls." Give him some stuff to denote authority, like a cape. A bullhorn for shouting instructions or some rolled up parchments sticking out of his pack (because people in charge are always carrying around papers). He also has to make a good impression, being an authority figure, so give him some nice boots. Steel boots that are polished, but have a couple dings because he works for a living.

Emphasize the receding hairline, because his job is stressful. Maybe give him a hat, too, in order to cover it up. And this is a perfect segue into why he's not in a mine and out adventuring: He's fed up with constantly having to put up with idiot underlings and decided to take an assignment scouting out new sites for dwarfish endeavors. For that matter, he might actually enjoy adventuring more than his previous job, as now he only has four or five idiot underlings to put up with (the other adventurers) instead of fifty, and doesn't have to live in the constant fear of them bringing the entire mountain down on his head with one mis-strike of a pick. That, and his frustrations are usually quickly worked out by skull-crushing whatever idiot monsters wander across the party and give them grief.

That character sounds amazing. To me that's the best part about D&D; the custom characters and their adventures.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    After reading the nose hair comment, that's all I can see now.

That character sounds amazing. To me that's the best part about D&D; the custom characters and their adventures.

Thats pretty much the entire part of D&D.... the characters...and their adventures.

Thanks, Metal, but I got the backstory worked out.

and just incase there is still someone out there who hasnt heard Skullcrusher Mountain :

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/songdetails/Skullcrusher%20Mountain

chewie on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    chewie wrote: »
    Thanks, Metal, but I got the backstory worked out.

Then nobody steal my idea! If I ever play D&D with someone who made a character who's a dwarven mine foreman, I'll know where you got it from and I'll sue!

Metalbourne on