Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, December 11, 2009

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I've read a bunch of books on the iPhone, and it doesn't strain your eyes at all. I suppose battery life could be an issue, but not one that's going to have me buying a whole new device to carry about. I charge my iPhone every night anyway, sometimes at work too.

It doesn't even seem like a device you would be carrying around like you would an iphone anyway. I would most likely keep this at home or maybe take it with me on a trip. Or around with me at school. The screen is just so much bigger than an iphone screen. I've read one on my ipod touch and it was alright just.. small

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I find the device incredibly... obsolete, or redundant really.

An Android platform at 6 inches.

The new mobile phones like the HTC HD2 and the Q1 2010 Xperia X10 (which is an Android platform as well) have 4.3 and 4.0 inch screens respectively, and probably would do the job equally well (in fact, the Xperia probably will as it's the same goddamn OS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Lu-JUW1Q&feature=player_embedded

Except it does all the shit modern cellphones do, in addition to displaying books.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    An e-reader has a much larger viewing area, much much better battery life and it looks like paper as opposed to staring at a regular screen.

Woah now.

This is something I didn't know about. If thats true I might look into these e-reader deals.

Seriously, the e-ink screens are fucking awesome. Sure staring at an LCD may not hurt your eyes but reading on my Kindle is as great a pleasure as reading a real book.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got a lot of travelling to do over the Christmas period, and my two indispensable devices will be my DS and my Sony eReader. I've still got most of the classic novels it came with to read; I think after The Three Musketeers, I'll try out Kidnapped and some Edgar Allen Poe.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TabascoTabasco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ugh, I could never imagine reading a book on an iPhone, I can't even stand reading books on my desktop. Paper just strains the eyes so much less. I stare at computer and TV screens enough every day already!

Tabasco on
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I find the device incredibly... obsolete, or redundant really.

An Android platform at 6 inches.

The new mobile phones like the HTC HD2 and the Q1 2010 Xperia X10 (which is an Android platform as well) have 4.3 and 4.0 inch screens respectively, and probably would do the job equally well (in fact, the Xperia probably will as it's the same goddamn OS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Lu-JUW1Q&feature=player_embedded

Except it does all the shit modern cellphones do, in addition to displaying books.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

edit: As in it isn't an android device like that. I mean yes it does use it but the touch screen is only on the bottom for browsing books. It has a much larger display, and the display is using the e-ink technology which is, again, nothing like that kind of screen.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    An e-reader has a much larger viewing area, much much better battery life and it looks like paper as opposed to staring at a regular screen.

Woah now.

This is something I didn't know about. If thats true I might look into these e-reader deals.

Seriously, the e-ink screens are fucking awesome. Sure staring at an LCD may not hurt your eyes but reading on my Kindle is as great a pleasure as reading a real book.

Lacks the smell of freshly printed paper.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think this whole concept is unnecessary and dumb
    Of course, I thought the same thing about mp3 players so what do I know?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    I think this whole concept is unnecessary and dumb
    Of course, I thought the same thing about mp3 players so what do I know?

Well early MP3 players did suck pretty hard, so back when you first heard about them they probably did seem like a dumb idea.

Ebook readers will probably take less time to mature, and eventually we'll start seeing these displays in more places and with more versatility and they'll start to make more sense.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope e-books don't ever displace real books the way mp3 players have replaced CDs

books are important!

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I hope e-books don't ever displace real books the way mp3 players have replaced CDs

books are important!

This will never happen

Probably

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mp3 players' main advantage over walkmen and such was being tiny and far more easily portable, that's not as important with books (for me at least) so probably not?

L|ama on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    mp3 players' main advantage over walkmen and such was being tiny and far more easily portable, that's not as important with books (for me at least) so probably not?

MP3 players advantage wasn't the portability so much as it was that you could carry a lot more music.

Old-school walkmen fit in my jacket pocket just fine.

I carried around a portable CD-player until the video version of the iPod came out.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

books are important!

I'm not clear on how the physical part of books are important. It seems like the relevant information is the text, and in some cases the formatting of that text. The fact that it's inked inside of a block of thin wood slices does not seem to be the real value of the medium.

Defender on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

MP3 players advantage wasn't the portability so much as it was that you could carry a lot more music.

Old-school walkmen fit in my jacket pocket just fine.

I carried around a portable CD-player until the video version of the iPod came out.

Yeah, when I think about it, the biggest factors to me adopting digital music is
    1. Being able to hear all my music at once
    2. Players coming down to a reasonable price
    When they first came out they were stupid expensive and didn't hold many songs
    On the other hand I don't really see the benefit of having all my books in one place
    And even so
    I still buy CD's because I like owning my music
    I just buy and burn and keep them stored in case I lose the digital music

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Defender wrote: »

books are important!

I'm not clear on how the physical part of books are important. It seems like the relevant information is the text, and in some cases the formatting of that text. The fact that it's inked inside of a block of thin wood slices does not seem to be the real value of the medium.

it's pretty obvious to me. it isn't something i can really explain though. it's like having food injected into your veins instead of eating a hot meal. sure it gets the job done but... digital stuff just doesn't feel right.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »

books are important!

it's pretty obvious to me. it isn't something i can really explain though. it's like having food injected into your veins instead of eating a hot meal. sure it gets the job done but... digital stuff just doesn't feel right.

No it's more like eating food with a paper plate instead of a ceramic one. You're still eating the food.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    i meant you're getting nourishment either way, you know what nevermind.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    You know, I honestly don't need more than one book at a time. So this kind of thing is a little less attractive to me. Music's different, because it's more of a hassle to carry around multiple CDs and change them than it is to carry around multiple books and switch between them.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You know, I honestly don't need more than one book at a time. So this kind of thing is a little less attractive to me. Music's different, because it's more of a hassle to carry around multiple CDs and change them than it is to carry around multiple books and switch between them.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel

BusterK on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    look hard copies of information will always have their place

especially if the world's technology is destroyed by a huge EMP.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And the thing is, I like having physical copies of things anyways. I try to only buy albums online if I'm pretty sure I can't find them around here, because I like having the liner notes and whatever. And I can rip those to iTunes and put them on my iPod anyways.

Unless they start doing something like this with books, I dunno if I'm going to want to bite the bullet on this.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    look hard copies of information will always have their place

especially if the world's technology is destroyed by a huge EMP.

Experience-Music-Project-Seattle-WA-USA-2.jpg?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, Frank Gehry's style is certainly distinctive

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I am a student in college. I have a lot of readings. I do have to carry around many large things, so as far as that goes, it is pretty useful for me. I do need the ability to carry around a lot of books/readings at once and have them readily accessible.

books are important!

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly believe that. I mean sure I guess from a "this is all the data you need" standpoint. But pretending like the tactile feeling of holding a real paper book in your hands is worthless altogether is ridiculous. I feel it is a very important cultural aspect, even if it seems pretty small.

Artreus on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

books are important!

Well, a screen typically is going to emit light on its own, so it's hard to make it really really dark, like too-dark-to-see dark. But you can just take paper into a dark room, and there you go! It's way too dark, just like you like!

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the prospect of an e-reader, but unlike an mp3 player, I can't just rip my existing book collection for free. I don't usually like paying for immaterial copies of stuff. How does that work for people?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, if you hate reading in the dark, have I got an invention for you! It's called Lamp, and it's sweeping the nation! Order now, and we'll throw in a free Flashlight, also known as the Portable Lamp!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reading by flashlight sucks

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Framling wrote: »

books are important!

Well, a screen typically is going to emit light on its own, so it's hard to make it really really dark, like too-dark-to-see dark. But you can just take paper into a dark room, and there you go! It's way too dark, just like you like!

e-reader screens don't emit light

Artreus on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Physical books do have some positive traits that e-readers don't. You never have to worry about a book's battery life or possible electronic failure. I imagine some of the thinner e-readers could potential get smashed by heavy objects while you are carrying them around, whereas a book is quite sturdy.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Guys, see, I'm making fun of Defender, because every time he's posted screenshots of games he's worked on, it's been like "Here's a really dark rectangle, you can't see what's going on at all because it is so dark."

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Physical books do have some positive traits that e-readers don't. You never have to worry about a book's battery life or possible electronic failure. I imagine some of the thinner e-readers could potential get smashed by heavy objects while you are carrying them around, whereas a book is quite sturdy.

yes

but can i read a regular book by an open flame?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nogs wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

yes

but can i read a regular book by an open flame?

um... yes?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, I imagine a sufficiently hot fire would also destroy an e-reader just as throughly as a book.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    e-reader-nintendo.jpg

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If I'm reading a book by candlelight and it somehow catches fire, I'm out 8 bucks.

If I'm reading a kindle by candlelight, and it somehow catches fire, I'm out however many hundred dollars.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    e-reader-nintendo.jpg

joke has been made

Artreus on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

books are important!

reading on a screen is pretty undeniably different from reading an actual book. tons of people like to write in margins and dog ear pages and highlight text and be able to easily flip back and forth between pages. i really don't think the kindle or whatever is ever going to adequately replace the experience of the physical book.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

books are important!

reading on a screen is pretty undeniably different from reading an actual book. tons of people like to write in margins and dog ear pages and highlight text and be able to easily flip back and forth between pages. i really don't think the kindle or whatever is ever going to adequately replace the experience of the physical book.

this makes the librarian inside me angry, and it's not comfortable having a person inside you shaking their fist!

L|ama on
This discussion has been closed.