As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Costumes '10?

• Options
    LenandYukiLenandYuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was actually thinking of going as a Vocaloid. /shot

But um, I would. Or possibly a Megaman character. My little brother would love that~
    I'm going with my family, so I hope they don't mind that.

LenandYuki on
    :? :whistle:

I FAIL YES REALLY.
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gauntlets and grey cargo's came in the mail today, Friday the shirt comes.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    The SlayerThe Slayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will be going as Ellis from L4D2, and my dad will be going as Coach. Any Nick's or Rochell's going? I'd be great to get a whole team together. My only regret is the inability to take any fake guns, cuz I found the SPAS-12 shotgun and an M-16 that would have been perfect for the costumes. I guess I'll settle for a baseball bat...

The Slayer on
    Nothin' to see here.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure a baseball bat also counts as a weapon, seeing as you can pretty effectively beat people over the head with it. You might want to leave that at home.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The SlayerThe Slayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seriously? That's stupid. What about a guitar? Frying pan? Crowbar? I've gotta have something.

The Slayer on
    Nothin' to see here.
  • Options
    ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Slayer wrote: »
    I will be going as Ellis from L4D2, and my dad will be going as Coach. Any Nick's or Rochell's going? I'd be great to get a whole team together. My only regret is the inability to take any fake guns, cuz I found the SPAS-12 shotgun and an M-16 that would have been perfect for the costumes. I guess I'll settle for a baseball bat...

I'll be attending as Nick. Hopefully I see you guys there, it would be nice to get a picture of all of us.

ArcanicEight on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys,

I just talked to the Hynes yesterday and realistic guns are *strongly* discouraged by the building, PAX, and the local law enforcement. I highly suggest not bringing any or they will have to be taken from you.

Just giving you guys a heads up in case anyone was wondering.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LenandYuki wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of going as a Vocaloid. /shot

But um, I would. Or possibly a Megaman character. My little brother would love that~
    I'm going with my family, so I hope they don't mind that.

I don't think anyone would begrudge you going as a vocaloid XD. You should make a Vocaloid
    recording of some major videogame themesongs like mario and zelda and play them as you walk around!

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is a dumb question I'm asking and I'm sorry for possibly reigniting something but . . . what about a posterboard or cardboard cutout with an image of a weapon pasted onto both sides?

Or failing that, a cardboard cutout in the shape of a weapon but left unpainted white/grey/brown?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    At Prime '09 the L4D group I saw did theirs with posterboard cutout. Their weapons looked like the ones in game when you mouse over them, with the white outline. It's the best way to make that particular costume work IMO.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recommendations on ways to construct a head fin? Thinking the foam insulation from Lowe's cut and painted then spirit gummed to my dome. If there's a better method, I'm open to it.

Loser4Now on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm totally unimaginative, and am going as a medic from TF2. I'm building a medigun as part of the costume. Hopefully that won't be an issue, it's just a mass of PVC piping and it doesn't shoot anything or look like a real gun. I have friends that are going too, as a Sniper and Engy. The sniper will be bringing a Huntsman(bow), will that be an issue?

Geod on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How much PVC piping, because honestly, that could be of concern. And the bow is a definite no. It is a weapon.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think a fake enough bow wouldn't be bad. I've seen people walking around the hynes with toy bows before. I mean, they're pretty obviously toys though. And I can't imagine anything made of PVC would be an issue unless it's blatantly a bludgeon or absurdly realistic looking.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A bow might be okay as long as they don't bring any arrows/projectiles to launch.

Note the "might."

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a baseball bat also counts as a weapon, seeing as you can pretty effectively beat people over the head with it. You might want to leave that at home.

I always love the whole weapon classification debate. Let it be known that this is also a deadly weapon, when used properly.
    deadlyweapon.jpg

As for the whole costume thing, I'm going as the human vessel for this little fellow here:
    sasshat.jpg
    I have yet to stuff him, but rest assured, he will be sassing you just as well as he did on your GBA/DS in 2004.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys, I just want to say that I might not be on anymore, because I probably can't go.
    I was just about to buy a saturday pass (knowing that 3-days had already sold out), when it showed that those were gone, too.
    MAN is PAX going to be popular!
    Too bad I can't attend.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think a bow would be fine to bring as long as you don't bring arrows as well. After all, its just a stick with some string attached at that point.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you have to ask or wonder if it will be a problem then play it safe and leave it home.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys, I just want to say that I might not be on anymore, because I probably can't go.
    I was just about to buy a saturday pass (knowing that 3-days had already sold out), when it showed that those were gone, too.
    MAN is PAX going to be popular!
    Too bad I can't attend.

Awww, that's a bummer. I guess there's not much point in plying the slavering wolf-den that is the Need a Ticket thread? If you're close, going for one day would be better than not going at all.

As a side note though, I'm sure there are going to be plenty of cameras, so I think it'll be near impossible not to see some of the best cosplay. I think the best thing I've got is a picture of a group of six people as Koh the Face Stealer from avatar. Brilliant, it was.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    nellenoirnellenoir Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    FFT Cosplay
    A bunch of us will be going as Final Fantasy Tactics characters and classes on Saturday. We've got Agrias, Ovelia, a Time Mage, a Monk, Mustadio, and a few other possibles (ie unmade therefor uncommitted). If any of you would like to join us, the more the merrier.

Hynes
    Also, just to put my two cents in about Boston and the Hynes center for those of you who have never been. Hynes is interesting to say the least. It's directly attached to the hotel which makes it convenient, but it is also attached to one of the most preppy uppity malls in the city (it's also quite close to Newbury Street which is the big shopping street). You will most likely not be able to avoid going into the mall and will most likely wander into it by accident, lol. But beyond the mall, there are also a couple of (tiny) green spaces outside for pictures and such as well as the courtyard which is gorgeous for pictures. As a cosplayer you will naturally get weird looks but also a lot of curiosity. I had a woman in pearls with her country club family strike up a conversation with me about my cosplay and I wasn't the most approachable looking person at the time, so you never know.

Weapons
    As for the weapons thing, I've done Anime Boston and weapons were really touch and go. I think the rule of thumb really is a) can you hurt someone? (real or made of hard material not foam etc) b) is it unclear that your weapon is fake at a glance? c) is it projectile, even nerf?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, don't bring it. And for goodness sake, if you take the T or walk away from the convention center, leave it in your room. Around the convention people won't take it as seriously, but elsewhere don't take it for granted.

Just use common sense. :)

nellenoir on
  • Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am going to go as Professor Layton. I'll probably bring some riddles in my hat and give away buttons to any winners.

spiderz13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    spiderz13 wrote: »
    I am going to go as Professor Layton. I'll probably bring some riddles in my hat and give away buttons to any winners.

You are my new favorite person.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    spiderz13 wrote: »

You are my new favorite person.

You are awesome and look for the dude with a orange shirt, top hat, and hopefully a bag full of buttons

spiderz13 on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Any pictures/updates/official thread outlooks? We are approaching 30 days; therefore costumes should be coming in any day now.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I could post a picture of my costume tomorrow if thats what you're asking, but I dont know if thats what you want.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was considering bringing my Dr. Horrible for the con, but am probably not going to, seeing everyone else doing it.

I will, however, instead be the Music Meister from Batman. He's another singing supervillain played by Neil Patrick Harris, if you haven't heard of him.

I think it's hosted online here.

Heleor on
  • Options
    OriginalGmanOriginalGman JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Any pictures/updates/official thread outlooks? We are approaching 30 days; therefore costumes should be coming in any day now.

I've got some pictures. Of course, I won't be bringing ANY of these weapons with me, if I do bring anything it will be a really cheap frying pan, but even that may be considered a weapon, so I'll probably be playing it safe. Also, suggestions for the hair? I plan on slicking it back, but should I get it cut before slicking it?

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/ArcanicEight/Nick%20L4D2%20Cosplay/DSC00896.jpg

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/ArcanicEight/Nick%20L4D2%20Cosplay/DSC00900.jpg

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/ArcanicEight/Nick%20L4D2%20Cosplay/DSC00903.jpg

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/ArcanicEight/Nick%20L4D2%20Cosplay/DSC00906.jpg

ArcanicEight on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like the bunk bed

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I like the bunk bed

Haha, thanks. I half-expected someone to mention the airplane kite first.

ArcanicEight on
  • Options
    NintendoFanGirlNintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tingle.. Tingle... Kooloo - LIMPAH!

*confetti*

NintendoFanGirl on
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kooloo - LIMPAH!

Klonoa??

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    NintendoFanGirlNintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Kooloo - LIMPAH!

Klonoa??

150px-Tingle.png

NintendoFanGirl on
  • Options
    Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll be there on Saturday in street clothes and Sunday I'll be there with my Ghostbusters Charity team.

IMG_1608.JPG

Ghostbusters of NH on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Good god.... that costume is sexy, how the hell did you make the packs?

Write me an instructable, GO!

Side note: I just noticed most of that is made up of military gear, which means I can easily attain it.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here's their page for the packs, some good pictures on there.

http://ghostbustersnh.com/equipment/proton-packs

NotASenator on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's REALLY impressive NotACrook...can't wait to see you guys wondering around PAX with these things on!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    FinAerosFinAeros Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I intend to rock out a few game related costumes over the weekend. Hopefully will be able to fit both my ODST and Krauser in my transportation.

FinAeros on
  • Options
    OrishaOrisha Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I was thinking of going dressed as a mage from Dragon Age (first enchanter robes, natch), but I'm worried that it will be a totally unrecognizable costume...

Orisha on
This discussion has been closed.