As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gettin Trojans (not the fun kind)

DacDac Registered User regular
So I've basically spent all of today fussing over my installation of World of Warcraft because I logged on today to find my addons button gone, and all my settings turned down to shithole 1024x768'o vision. Confused, I went through a bunch of stuff that's outlined in their faq (removing wtf/interface/wtd, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.). Had some extra fun with permissions along the way, just for added frustration.

Anyway, after installing a fresh copy and updating it, I logged in, turned my graphics up higher, and left the game to see if the Blizzard Interface had been downloaded into the WTF folder.

It hadn't. Moreover, when I booted up the game again, all setting had reverted back to default. It was still blipping the TOS at me (which it should only do once per patch cycle) and requiring me to enter my name, even though I'd made sure to click Remember before leaving.

I tried this a few times, with the same result. This sounds almost exactly like the trojan masshack that happened two years ago, where hackers broke into Curse and other gaming sites and replaced common addons with subtly tweaked versions - complete with keylogger and trojans included.

Seeing as how I changed NOTHING from when the game was working last night and when I booted up this morning, I suspect Wow.exe is being targeted by some sort of hijack.

For those in the know, how would I go about identifying the culprit? It's not showing up on AVG/Spybot, as the stuff I have found and fixed through those haven't alleviated the problem any.

Please help. I'd rather not have to format my computer.

Steam: catseye543
PSN: ShogunGunshow
Origin: ShogunGunshow
Dac on