Options

Of The Year

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Food wrote: »
    I still think Toy Story is the best but maybe that's just because of nostalgia.

OH MY GOD HOW DID WE ALL FORGET TOY STORY

How indeed

Never actually seen it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the moment you actually get that achievement?

that is when the game has beaten you

because it made you do something stupid and pointless for 14 hours and get nothing out of it

natek on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    stale are you stupid or something

why would you do that

Raneados on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    when i got my 360 i was gonna get every achievement

then i got assassins creed and it was those flag collecting ones that turned me off from achievements

back trying to get achievements but still not doing ridiculous shit like that, same with killing the pidgeons in gta 4

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    uh you know you guys are reading into that ratatouille speech wrong right

it's not that deep

he's saying that someone's creation is always going to be more meaningful than some guy saying whether or not he liked it

Well my question is if some makes absolute crap, isn't it somewhat important for someone else to tell me to stay away from it?

While I agree that critiques should not just be page long comments about how somebody hates something (and I think this is far more of a fictional situation than a reality) it doesn't mean they aren't useful and can't carry meaning. (ie. don't try the crayfish)

that has nothing to do with the message of that speech though

He was saying how unimportant the role of the critique was. And no matter what the actual content is about is always far more important than the critique. I say otherwise.

I say it has a role just as important, because if it is great than it should be talked about, if it is not, people should know so they can avoid it.

it's not supposed to be a question of whether someone warning people about something is supposed to be important

he's not saying that critique is useless

he's saying that, in the bigger picture, someone's creation is worth more than another person saying whether or not they approve of the creation

I'm not explaining this well, apparently

No I get what you are saying. But people need to know these things exist otherwise they can't be appreciated. I mean Shakespeare might be great. But can it be really great if he just wrote all of these fantastic stories and threw them in a fire and no one knew about it?

Blake T on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Food wrote: »
    I still think Toy Story is the best but maybe that's just because of nostalgia.

OH MY GOD HOW DID WE ALL FORGET TOY STORY

How indeed

iNever actually seen it.

Stop doing that!

Sheri on
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »

then i got assassins creed and it was those flag collecting ones that turned me off from achievements

back trying to get achievements but still not doing ridiculous shit like that, same with killing the pidgeons in gta 4

I got all of those flags. 1000/1000 Assassin's Creed. I am the disease.

pillow on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whether you disagree with it on a philosophical level, it attempts to teach a moral with that line, which is kind of the point of a lot of disney movies. As a fully developed adult I can say that yes, professional criticism is a good thing, that it is important and helpful, but deep down, the raw value of criticism is nothing of merit. Feel free to disagree, but telling kids that they should get out and do productive things and damn the naysayers is not really all that bad.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The "You are a giant faggot" achievement:
    Push X every time you see a bird fly by for the next three days.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED :
    YOU ARE NOW A GIANT FAGGOT

natek on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    pillow wrote: »

i am 910/1000

it taunts me

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    natek wrote: »
    The "You are a giant faggot" achievement:
    Push X every time you see a bird fly by for the next three days.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED:
    YOU ARE NOW A GIANT FAGGOT

I'm going to pretend the terrified face was intentional.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    what are you talking about volyu that never happened I did it right the first time

natek on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Whether you disagree with it on a philosophical level, it attempts to teach a moral with that line, which is kind of the point of a lot of disney movies. As a fully developed adult I can say that yes, professional criticism is a good thing, that it is important and helpful, but deep down, the raw value of criticism is nothing of merit. Feel free to disagree, but telling kids that they should get out and do productive things and damn the naysayers is not really all that bad.

That's getting awfully close to giving out awards for "running in the race" though. We should celebrate victory and encourage children to do better when they do fail. Otherwise they go through life thinking everything the do is great when what they are doing really isn't good enough.

Blake T on
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

i am 910/1000

it taunts me

The last one I got was the kill all templars one... I couldn't find the last one for the life of me and so I did some searching online and found out that sometimes one of them doesn't show up. I thought I was gonna cry.

I guess about 20 minutes later I found him and was like "oh, welp."

pillow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

i am 910/1000

it taunts me

I have a rule, when a game stops being fun, I stop playing it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That's getting awfully close to giving out awards for "running in the race" though. We should celebrate victory and encourage children to do better when they do fail. Otherwise they go through life thinking everything the do is great when what they are doing really isn't good enough.

no it isn't

natek on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    uh you know you guys are reading into that ratatouille speech wrong right

it's not that deep

he's saying that someone's creation is always going to be more meaningful than some guy saying whether or not he liked it

Well my question is if some makes absolute crap, isn't it somewhat important for someone else to tell me to stay away from it?

While I agree that critiques should not just be page long comments about how somebody hates something (and I think this is far more of a fictional situation than a reality) it doesn't mean they aren't useful and can't carry meaning. (ie. don't try the crayfish)

that has nothing to do with the message of that speech though

He was saying how unimportant the role of the critique was. And no matter what the actual content is about is always far more important than the critique. I say otherwise.

I say it has a role just as important, because if it is great than it should be talked about, if it is not, people should know so they can avoid it.

it's not supposed to be a question of whether someone warning people about something is supposed to be important

he's not saying that critique is useless

he's saying that, in the bigger picture, someone's creation is worth more than another person saying whether or not they approve of the creation

I'm not explaining this well, apparently

No I get what you are saying. But people need to know these things exist otherwise they can't be appreciated. I mean Shakespeare might be great. But can it be really great if he just wrote all of these fantastic stories and threw them in a fire and no one knew about it?

that's not what he's saying!!

ahh I'm too tired to try to explain this

in any case: he's not saying that there shouldn't be critiques or that people shouldn't think for themselves.

If nothing else that's a dumb message to put in a movie and pixar NOR disney would ever do that

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

no it isn't

Yeah, I gotta disagree with you here, Blake.

It's not really like that at all.

Sheri on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

why would you do that

BECAUSE IT SAYS 48/50 ON THE LITTLE BAR THING NEXT TO THE GAME. THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO I HAVEN'T FINISHED AND GOD DAMMIT I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY TIME.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    a⋅chieve⋅ment –noun
    1. something accomplished, esp. by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art.
    2. act of achieving; attainment or accomplishment: the achievement of one's object.
    3. Heraldry. the full display of the armorial bearings of an individual or corporation.

None of these apply to the subject at hand. Pressing a button for fourteen hours does not merit the use of this powerful and grandiose word. Stop.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited December 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Stale wrote: »

why would you do that

BECAUSE IT SAYS 48/50 ON THE LITTLE BAR THING NEXT TO THE GAME. THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO I HAVEN'T FINISHED AND GOD DAMMIT I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY TIME.

how about playing another game?
    or sit there doing nothing

doing nothing is much more enjoyable than what you are currently doing

natek on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

why would you do that

I am going to make a game.

Put an achievement in there saying, mail Blake 10,000 dollars.

Send it to Stale.

Then start making sequels.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

why would you do that

how about playing another game?
    or sit there doing nothing

doing nothing is much more enjoyable than what you are currently doing

But I can't quantify doing nothing, and I CAN quantify pressing a button every 22 mins and 35secs.

Just like that.

EAT ANOTHER PIZZA FRANK

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

why would you do that

said the mouse to the cheese

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    --america's third greatest president

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

i am 910/1000

it taunts me

I have a rule, when a game stops being fun, I stop playing it.

ah yes, the old 'don't have aspergers' rule

I am getting deja vu from this quote tree

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blake, at this point, I can safely and certifiable say, that if you could guarantee me this achievement on Xbox Live, I would write you a check right now.

I want to stop staring at Dead Rising, but I can't. I just can't stop until I've finished this now.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The agents have changed something

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Ok.

That is a fine speech no doubt.

First they must learn what is good effort and what is a bad effort.

Then they can do that. And sometimes a man is too close to his creation to accurately judge it. Can't see the forest from the trees and all that jazz.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    guys did you see this thing rob made? it is super cool
    tumblr_kt1rd5jMtJ1qaoobko1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1260855275&Signature=zTD0OZDun4pj9RsNW%2BL1DCo4wHE%3D

these are pretty great. I laughed at the toy story one

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Ok.

That is a fine speech no doubt.

First they must learn what is good effort and what is a bad effort.

Then they can do that. And sometimes a man is too close to his creation to accurately judge it. Can't see the forest from the trees and all that jazz.

It seems like you are being purposefully obtuse here, Blake.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    okay, so you completely missed the point

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blake, at this point, I can safely and certifiable say, that if you could guarantee me this achievement on Xbox Live, I would write you a check right now.

I want to stop staring at Dead Rising, but I can't. I just can't stop until I've finished this now.

Shit son, you can get two hundred gamerpoints for this.

(I think it would have to be an XBLA title)

Blake T on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

yeah I think the point of it was that Ego honestly thought that he was more important to the food world that Gusteau. He was looking at it from a real classist point of view, that he was Anton Ego, the most well renowned food critic in all of Paris, and that people should do what he says because he knows the most about food.

He even questions outright why people are going to Gusteau's again after he wrote a bad review. He asks how the restaurant will dare promote itself as being reborn and successful if he hasn't reviewed it.

In his enjoyment of the meal and realisation that a rat made it for him, he sees that great food has nothing to do with class, that a rat, clearly a metaphor for the lowest of the low of society, has made him something wonderful.

It's not about good food or good art or even anything creative - it's about refusing to fall into what society expects of you, that even if you are born in a ditch you can do something great, even though the uppercrust will look down on you the entire time.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is this 73 pages about spike's channels

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    Is this 73 pages about spike's channels

spikeTV is channel 73 for me

natek on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Shit son, you can get two hundred gamerpoints for this.

(I think it would have to be an XBLA title)

no

no, this one. 5 and 7 days survivor.

See, I don't get obsessed over things until I fail at them. Then I have to beat it. Before when I didn't get this I simply blamed it on the fact I was overworked, had no time to fiddle around with meaningless bullshit, and moved on.

But last night, I failed again. This time, I have no such excuse. This time it beat me without any help. I just fell asleep because it's boring as all holy fuck. Now it's on. Now I'm officially locked on this shit and I will not rest until I'm done. It's just how I am.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    #pipe wrote: »

yeah I think the point of it was that Ego honestly thought that he was more important to the food world that Gusteau. He was looking at it from a real classist point of view, that he was Anton Ego, the most well renowned food critic in all of Paris, and that people should do what he says because he knows the most about food.

He even questions outright why people are going to Gusteau's again after he wrote a bad review. He asks how the restaurant will dare promote itself as being reborn and successful if he hasn't reviewed it.

In his enjoyment of the meal and realisation that a rat made it for him, he sees that great food has nothing to do with class, that a rat, clearly a metaphor for the lowest of the low of society, has made him something wonderful.

It's not about good food or good art or even anything creative - it's about refusing to fall into what society expects of you, that even if you are born in a ditch you can do something great, even though the uppercrust will look down on you the entire time.

This is an excellent post on Ego as a whole hashpipe, and it said a few things that I didn't notice when I watched it (I think I was actually cooking at the time). I will concede that his overall story is this. But I still don't like his speech.

Blake T on