As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Marvel's finest" team?

2»

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    butt and dick lol ownnned marvle

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But seriously, I like the Iron Man / Spider-Man dynamic that was happening right before Civil War. More realistically, though: probably Iron Man and Cap.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I liked the old Marvel Team Up title. Spider-Man plus random other Marvel character or characters. Different each month, but always Spider-Man.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Maticore wrote: »
    delphinus wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I hate to say this, but my favorite marvel team up was Kitty and Spiderman in the Ultimate universe. Sure, its no Batman/Superman, but goddamnit it is entertaining.

In the main universe tho it would be Captain America and Wolverine - both have a lot of similarities with one another, but react completly differently. In my eyes, that sorta goes along with the Supes/Bats relationship.

If we're thinking like that, Cap and Punisher need to team up more often.

I mean Punisher War Journal was pretty entertaining right around civil war...

Amen!

I thought about Punisher, but Steve really doesn't seem to like Frank. He at least tolerates Logan, which is strange considering Wolverines probably killed more people than Frank. Hell, in that "Enemy of Hydra" arc he killed a few thousand people alone.

It's a social commentary on how WWII vets view Vietnam vets, and vice versa.

WWII vets see Vietnam vets as pretty much psychopathic mass murderers, while Vietnam vets can't understand why the WWII vets don't like them, since they're pretty much the reason why they wen't to the war in the first place, to be LIKE them.

Also Steve has always liked the cut of Wolverine's jib because he isn't a murderer, he just does what needs to be done to complete the mission, and that's that. While Frank is much more of a "I LOVE TO TORTURE CRIMINALS" type of psycopath.

say what? what wwII vets are you talking to? soldiers tend to respect soldiers. i've never ever heard a world war II vet refer to a 'nam vet as a "mass murderer". i'm genuinely curious where you're getting this sentiment.

anyway, frank doesn't really love to torture anyone. that would be pretty unappealing to read about. he doesn't enjoy it. he may not really enjoy anything. he does torture, sure, but the presentation is much more frank (pun unintentional). he has a job to do and he does it. his only rule is that innocents won't be hurt. other than that, he does whatever he feels is necessary to get the job done. not unlike wolverine, in fact.

anyway, both of them are stone-cold killers and thus seem pretty unpalatable as far as mass market appeal goes. the beauty of batman and superman is that they're all-ages appropriate. they don't kill, they have crazy adventures, and they have strong morals backing their actions. i think by that measure, cap and spidey are really the only contenders in the marvel universe.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Back in the day (70s-80s) a Vietnam vet walking into a veterans hall or trying to join VFV would get some pretty nasty looks. Remember the crazed Vietnam vet stereotype was pretty rampant, with every Vietnam vet suffering under the stigma that they where Drug-using baby killers one hairsbreath from a PSTD Flashback. Add the fact that Vietnam vets where from the bad losing war and you got conflict.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That might be true for "back in the day" but none of that applies today. I'm a member of the VFW and the handful of WW2 vets that are still around have nothing but respect and accolades for the vets of later wars, including Vietnam.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    - SNIP -
    anyway, both of them are stone-cold killers and thus seem pretty unpalatable as far as mass market appeal goes. the beauty of batman and superman is that they're all-ages appropriate. they don't kill, they have crazy adventures, and they have strong morals backing their actions. i think by that measure, cap and spidey are really the only contenders in the marvel universe.

I didn't really think about the all-ages appropriate qualifier, but I don't think it necessarily means Logan's out of the running (Frank certainly). With Marvel's constant push of Logan, as long as he's killing Robots/Zombies/Evil Government agents it seams to be widely accepted. Hell, Logan killed a bunch of people in X2 (the movie). As long as he's not written too beserker, he would be fine. He's already a kid favorite.

For super kiddy friendly I'd vote for Ultimate Spidey + Kitty because fuck you, they're adorable.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jubilee and Dazzler

-SPI- on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That big green Shi'ar robot that has the little green robot that jumps out of his back.

Munch on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    prof x and magneto

farbekrieg on