As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Master Chief ON] Halo DS did exist?

EtericEteric Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign

I have to wonder what stopped them from doing this. At this point, the DS is the dominant portable system. This game on the DS could have meant a lot of money.

They should release it, seriously.

eatfranks5.png
Eteric on

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are...you serious?

Javen on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I Played Halo on DS
    Once upon a time, a very smart publisher came up with a brilliant idea. It contacted Microsoft and got the ball rolling on a very unlikely project: Halo for Nintendo DS. Needless to say, there were many egos involved and unfortunately because of some issues that I won't detail, the project was eventually cancelled. But not before it was completely up and running and fully playable. I know all his because I recently learned of the back-story and got a chance to play a leaked build of Halo on DS for myself.

matt-blog-20070104071705722.jpg

Above: a terrible mock-up of Halo on DS; the real thing actually doesn't look much different.

Amazingly, the ill-fated DS version of the title plays remarkably well. Think Metroid Prime Hunters but with a Halo facelift. I had the opportunity to run through the beginning beach area and noted while playing that it looked like Xbox Halo except on DS, it was running fast, and the control was responsive. The trademark Halo music even played out of the tiny speakers of Nintendo's handheld. It is really, truly a damned shame that certain publishers couldn't make this happen because it would have undoubtedly been a huge hit and would have only furthered the popularity of DS and the Halo franchise.

Now that DS is enjoying a clear lead over PSP and the Halo franchise is bigger than ever, I'd like to see this game-that-could-have-been actually come to exist on the retail market. It's too good of an idea and the execution is too impressive to let it collect dust in the forgotten cabinet of a publisher's vaporware library.

Would you buy Halo on DS?

That would be awesome, we need more portable FPSes. I'm a bit skeptical about whether it actually looked even close to the Xbox version, but it doesn't really matter: Halo was fun to play, not oggle at.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more silly this sounds. I'm calling BS.

Darlan on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Javen wrote:
    Are...you serious?

Actually, I remember hearing about Microsoft considering putting a game in the Halo franchise on the GBA. So this doesn't seem that out there.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well uh...Microsoft and Rare publishes games for the DS all the time so maybe they should.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's...wow. I didn't see that coming.

SirUltimos on
  • Silent ZeroSilent Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I heard from 1up Yours that there is a version of Halo for the PS2 somewhere out there.

Silent Zero on
    Yes I work for Netflix. No, I can't give you any free movies dammit.
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well uh...Microsoft and Rare publishes games for the DS all the time so maybe they should.

All the time huh? They have done I believe only ONE so far. Hell, they might have done ZERO so far.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, Age of Empires was released on the DS. I believe that was Microsoft. And Diddy Kong Racing is coming up, which is a Rare game.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

All the time huh? They have done I believe only ONE so far. Hell, they might have done ZERO so far.

They've done GBA games, most people forget the GBA exists these days, it seems. ;-)

With that said, it was probably cancelled because A) it would dilute MSFT's live anywhere (especially considering it would more likely than not be online), and B) Microsoft somewhere still hopes to do a handheld, I think.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Well, Age of Empires was released on the DS. I believe that was Microsoft. And Diddy Kong Racing is coming up, which is a Rare game.

And a really awful Mech Assault game.

HadjiQuest on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mage Knight as well, though that's not nearly as direct.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Sabrewulf was Microsoft published, I think.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Sabrewulf was Microsoft published, I think.

Actually THQ published that (totally developed by Rare though). Oddly Nintendo itself was going to publish it in Japan but it was cancelled.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Silent ZeroSilent Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

What.

Why haven't I heard of this.

Silent Zero on
    Yes I work for Netflix. No, I can't give you any free movies dammit.
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd buy it and a new DS Lite to play it on. :oops:

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

What.

It's totally rad. Turned into a turn based game though, kind of like Lords of the Realm.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927039.asp?q=Age%20of%20Empires

$19.99 now and not too hard to find.

Neo Rasa on
    edited January 2007
    I THINK it was Age of Empires... I'm not positive.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If Halo DS turned out to be a great FPS and amazing online multiplayer experience, hell yes I'd buy it. Who wouldn't?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

What.

Don't panic, it's not very good.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    I THINK it was Age of Empires... I'm not positive.

You are 100% correct. It was developed by Backbone Games who also did MechAssault: Phantom War as well as a lot of other console to portable revamps for the PSP. Age of Empires DS was published in the US by Majesco.

Neo Rasa on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I heard from 1up Yours that there is a version of Halo for the PS2 somewhere out there.

Bungie once said that in their weekly update. Before they were bought by Microsoft Bungie had a version of Halo on the PS2. But they did mention that they never got it running.

SirUltimos on
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Eteric wrote:

What.

It's totally rad. Turned into a turn based game though, kind of like Lords of the Realm.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927039.asp?q=Age%20of%20Empires

$19.99 now and not too hard to find.

It is, it should be noted, slightly buggy. My friend at work complained about it a lot but did find it fun enough to finish.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

What.

Don't panic, it's not very good.
    Uh... No.

definitely a 8/10 game.

Anyways, Majesco was behind it, even though it was a Microsoft property.

Dareth Ram on
    edited January 2007
    http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=180049

For $20 it seems hard to go wrong. Just make sure your name has more than three characters. I hear if it's less, the game will die.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft puts a bunch of stuff on Nintendo handhelds; mostly Rare properties. I'm of the opinion that it's mostly to spite Sony.

Irregardless, it's not surprising that Halo DS got canned: that's Microsoft's biggest franchise since Windows. They don't want it on anyone else's product even if they don't have a competing product in that market.

Daedalus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irregardless
    Everytime you say that, a prescriptivist dies.

Couscous on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Irregardless
    Everytime you say that, a prescriptivist dies.
    What is irregardless supposed to mean anyway? Without lack of regard?

Oh, and Halo DS would be fucking AWESOME.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo DS would have been another nail in the coffin that Sony is slowly building for the PSP.

It is a shame that it got canned, especially if it was already running.

FyreWulff on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What was it that Microsoft was doing a while ago that everyone thought would wind up to be a portable gaming device? I know it turned out to be a kind of standardization for tablet PCs, but before that got revealed everyone was making these mockups of a portable device with Halo running on it.

ZOMG CONFIRMATION!!!!!1111

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:

They've done GBA games, most people forget the GBA exists these days, it seems. ;-)

Have they done any lately, though? I.e., since the DS became popular. Actually, have any good GBA games come out lately aside from Swordcraft Story?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A Microsoft Hand Held gaming device? "X-Boy 360"?

It is so sad to see such awesomeness never achieved. Another corpse of a great game tossed onto the pile along with System Shock 3, that Chrono Trigger remake, and a good Deus Ex sequel.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:

Have they done any lately, though? I.e., since the DS became popular. Actually, have any good GBA games come out lately aside from Swordcraft Story?

You forgot the part about Swordcraft Story not being good.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

You forgot the part about Swordcraft Story not being good.

Shush, you.

I think part of a review on IGN actually got it right about the game. (Gasp.)

They said it's like a vanilla ice cream cone. It's nothing spectacularly original, but it's still pretty tasty.

DarkPrimus on
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Actually, have any good GBA games come out lately aside from Swordcraft Story?

Final Fantasy 5, Super Robot Taisen OG 1 and 2, Yggdra Union. Those are the ones I've bought that were fairly recent.

StriderEdge on
  • homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A Microsoft Hand Held gaming device? "X-Boy 360"?

Obligatory (sound).

homeobocks on
  • SolSol Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo DS lived? WHA?!?!

Sol on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhh, why are you guys falling for this. There's no evidence provided, not even a real screenshot, and it's following a post about how the weather channel gave him the weather before christ was born.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    Uhh, why are you guys falling for this. There's no evidence provided, not even a real screenshot, and it's following a post about how the weather channel gave him the weather before christ was born.

Isn't that the case with most rumours though? I mean, we're here to discuss crap about videogames. Whether or not the topic is crap it's still fun to talk about hte possibilities.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Now that DS is enjoying a clear lead over PSP and the Halo franchise is bigger than ever, I'd like to see this game-that-could-have-been actually come to exist on the retail market. It's too good of an idea and the execution is too impressive to let it collect dust in the forgotten cabinet of a publisher's vaporware library.
    Yes, yes!

I really hope this happens. I'd even settle for a port of Halo 1 with DS controls and downgraded graphics.

bruin on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    Man, in the weather post, he was exaggerating for the sake of getting his completely valid point across.

mntorankusu on