As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] Chargin' tard.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suriko wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Pyros. So very sorry.

Compression blast will be our friend. Nothing stops a charging Scotsman faster than something being blow into his face.

I was thinking more the fact that the Pyro's role as a close-quarters resistance-stacked damage dealer is now also achieved by the Demo. Especially considering that fire has so many counters, whereas the sword... doesn't.

Suriko on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So...they've taken the charger from L4D2 and put it into TF2

This can only be good

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah this just makes the demo an op pyro.

Valve shittin on pyros(especially backburner) yet again what a surprise.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man. Reading the comic that came with the update. I...

...I feel so sad now.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suriko wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Pyros. So very sorry.

Compression blast will be our friend. Nothing stops a charging Scotsman faster than something being blow into his face.

Oh my god. Reflecting a charging demoman into his teammate.

This will be the best.

Hey Custom Special, I'll be playing more for the next few days. I still play every now and then but I've only recently returned to my apartment where my desktop is. Updates reel me back in though. And I'm going to go play RIGHT NOW.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yet another reason the backburner is dumb and useless.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hopefully the charge works in that you can only go in straight lines. Otherwise yeah, the only reason to have pyros around is just for the burn damage.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Because I get pissy when my rants aren't read:
    As a scout, I am even more disappointed with my unlocks now. And the bitterness in me can't wait until the new stuff gets nerfed.

rant spoilerd for your protection
    We get a bat that eats 30hp, can lob one projectileshot every 30 seconds, that stuns for a second or two if it hits at long range.
    A energy drink that is useless aside from distracting a sentry for 2 seconds.
    And a shotgun that does less damage than the main, and has far less ammo, in order to kinda pop the enemy into the air if you are at point blank range

Demo gets a sword that eats, probably 30hp, then gives hp back, and a speed boost everytime they kill someone.
    Not to mention a shield that lets them guarantee a crit, move faster than a scout for a brief period of time, and half damage or more from fire and explosives.
    And on top of this, still get one or two more unlocks.

Also anyone figure out the third box?

Sco
    Res

Scotch Restorative
    Scottish Restorative

Scottish Resuscitator: Pour one out for your lost comrade in order to bring them back to life/respawn faster.

Morkath on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    just another nail in the coffin

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ZomboyZomboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Only two things I can think of that would make going melee demo not work well is distance for crit from charging, and maybe the speed of the charge itself. As long as it connects more reliably than the charger in L4D2 then all should be good I'd think.

Also, looking forward to the almost certain Eyelander one hit kill taunt, unless the standard grenade launcher taunt actually gets a killing "boom" to go with it like they did with heavy.

Zomboy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    show spoiler
    hide spoiler

We get a bat that eats 30hp, can lob one projectileshot every 30 seconds, that stuns for a second or two if it hits at long range.
    And a shotgun that does less damage than the main, and has far less ammo, in order to kinda pop the enemy into the air if you are at point blank range

Demo gets a sword that eats, probably 30hp, then gives hp back, and a speed boost everytime they kill someone.
    Not to mention a shield that lets them guarantee a crit, move faster than a scout for a brief period of time, and half damage or more from fire and explosives.

Don't forget the shield takes away the weapon that nets the majority of kills from the average demo man.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This thread is slowly moving into stuff I used to encounter on the WoW boards. Not sure how I feel about that.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »
    This thread is slowly moving into stuff I used to encounter on the WoW boards. Not sure how I feel about that.

Cry some mooorrreee.
    Does that feel better?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »

Cry some mooorrreee.
    Does that feel better?

No.
    Yes.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hear Ony deep breaths more often after this patch.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    show spoiler
    hide spoiler

Don't forget the shield takes away the weapon that nets the majority of kills from the average demo man.

Yeah I am just more upset that the demo is getting stuff I would have loved on my scout. Mostly the sudden speed boost for dodging/getting past a sentry, coupled with explosive and fire resistance, I would have been way more tempted to drop my pistol/bat for that rather than a can of crappy juice or a mediocre stun. So you can't get taken out by someones miss on someone else. Having a good melee weapon would be nice too.

e:
    Also the items at least give you a different way to play the class. Opposed to the pile of shit introduced by the new design intern for the scout.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    scottish reserve, it's a new whiskey bottle.

There won't be a change to the pipe launcher.

upon drinking it the demo will get 30 minutes of free crits, but only when hitting pyros.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if the SCO RES is a whisky bottle or whatever, that means... the sword replaces the grenade launcher?

what on earth

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    if the SCO RES is a whisky bottle or whatever, that means... the sword replaces the grenade launcher?

what on earth

or he's getting two melee upgrades.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No, the shield replaces the sticky launcher, nothing replaces pipes, two new melee options.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Or you guys are wrong and it's not a melee weapon and it does replace his pipe launcher.

You write as if you know 100%, toons.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    HuggyBearHuggyBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As a pretty much dedicated pyro I'm often thinking what's the point, I find myself playing less and less TF2...if the demo updates are on the money then I'm left wondering what's left for someone wanting to play a pyro tactically.

Seems as if the W+M1 forums whiners have won the day.

HuggyBear on
    2rh72wk.jpg
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate these items a 'meh.'

Who on earth would give up the sticky launcher?

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need to get a new graphics card ASAP. I just miss all of the TF2 fun. I think the last time I got on was after the Medic got his updates.

I'm sorry i've been away so long guys. I've got my soldier flag waving high though!

-A Spy (who really is on your side)

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    pardzh wrote: »

I would. Immediately.

Sword + board > gun I suck with (like, really suck)

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HuggyBear wrote: »
    As a pretty much dedicated pyro I'm often thinking what's the point, I find myself playing less and less TF2...if the demo updates are on the money then I'm left wondering what's left for someone wanting to play a pyro tactically.

What.

Really?

REALLY?

Remember that, to equip the shield, the demo has to give up stickies.

AKA the "winbombs."

So the demo's a little less crispy-prone. That means good times for your team, since that's one less sticky mine-field to deal with.

Hell, you can still light them up and give them a good axing. If they've got the shield, they'll probably *want* to get into melee with you.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    pardzh wrote: »

Me

Because why hide at the back like a little girl

When you can lop off heads like a man

Gumpy on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    HuggyBear wrote: »

What.

Really?

REALLY?

Remember that, to equip the shield, the demo has to give up stickies.

AKA the "winbombs."

So the demo's a little less crispy-prone. That means good times for your team, since that's one less sticky mine-field to deal with.

Hell, you can still light them up and give them a good axing. If they've got the shield, they'll probably *want* to get into melee with you.

Because a melee weapon that can't crit except after using the cooldown of another weapon replacement is better than a 15 foot range, 150 dps weapon that can hit multiple enemies and can knock back ubers and explosives.

Obviously

Mars on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    I don't see how this spells the end of the Pyro, but I do wish they'd do something with the damn backburner.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So looking at the numbers..

12/11 at around 1pm PST
    Difference of: 99,019
    Percentage Difference: 7.12%

Later, around 7pm
    Difference of: 126,167
    Percentage Difference: 8.11%

12/12, late night
    Difference of: 218,999
    Percentage Difference: 7.25%

12/14, around 11am
    Difference of: 234,164
    Percentage Difference: 5.16%

At around 11pm
    Difference of: 225,344
    Percentage Difference: 4.83%

So, from these numbers, the demoman were being slaughtered on the first day, with the Soldiers picking up momentum. However the Demomen started catching up to the per day kills, getting close to eclipsing them today. However, since there's really only two or three more days left, I don't see how they can make up that 225 thousand kill gap. At least they've stopped it from widening I guess.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    scottish reserve, it's a new whiskey bottle.

There won't be a change to the pipe launcher.

upon drinking it the demo will get 30 minutes of free crits, but only when hitting pyros.
    this

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The shield may actually help the backburner. Stickies are dangerous to a pyro's health, and they will be gone. Plus, the charge will bring the demoman into range of the pyro's flamethrower, and when the pyro dodges, the demo will be stuck facing away from the pyro, his back fresh for the burning. And if he turns around to face you... well, he may take less fire damage but the axtinguisher should carve him up pretty brutally, now that he's nice and close.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eh i don't like the shield, but it'll get nerfed sooner or later. I mean, doesn't everything in the updates? edit: also the idler doesn't work, but the achievement manager still does right? Hells of crafting all up ins.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nope, I love when a demoman has his sticky launcher out.

he's all oh shit a pyro I better shoot some stickies at his feet

Then I giggle while runnign into his face and burning it off

OR

he thinks he's smart so he plants a sticky at his own feet

So I auto whip out my shotgun and shoot his other eye out

But no please keep trying to spin +50% resistance to fire damage and "hurtle you toward an enemy at a punishingly damaging high speed" as good things for pyros.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the best worst part of using stickies on pyros is when the det delay lasts just long enough for them to be launched forward at your face instead of upwards or backwards

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I always want to shake those demo's hands before killin em.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well this is....different.

I will actually play demo now, fuck pipes and stickies. Although I get the feeling the sword and shield combo will be rubbish or ridiculous.

Oh wait, damage reduction, super speed and 100% crit chance. Yeah it will be ridiculous.
    ..ly awesome

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With regards to the gap between soldier and demo kills, remember that one of the possible prizes for posters is Gabe handing out points after the fact like it's fuckin' Mario party.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cohsae wrote: »
    With regards to the gap between soldier and demo kills, remember that one of the possible prizes for posters is Gabe handing out points after the fact like it's fuckin' Mario party.

Gabe is King Boo?

Ross_C on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    After tonight and getting more-or-less midrange on the scoreboard using nothing but pipes, I have to ask, hahahaha why would anyone play a pyro?

Not even Huey Lewis plays pyro anymore. :(

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]