As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking Of Getting A 360... Help?

Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
*UPDATE - 360 Purchased. Much Goblins Killed*

I got a Wii for Christmas, and I was thinking of picking up a 360 as well with Christmas moneys, after playing a friend's. I feel an intense NEED to have a copy of Dead Rising and Ninety Nine Nights, being the Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors whore that I am.

In general, I know a good deal about the 360. Thing is, I don't want to list everything I'm looking for in it. I would just like some help knowing a good place to get one, and possible deals, prices, etc. I'm not looking into a Core system at the moment, but tips about exactly what it takes to upgrade one would be appreciated just in case.

Thank you velly much, G&T. Hugs.

KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
Kaosu Reido on

• RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gamestop is selling a bundle that comes with GRAW and an in-store 1 year warranty.

Of course, there's also the Microsoft 1 year warranty with that.

Ranced on
  • Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Corrosive Monkey on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do you have the Sunday newspaper? If so look through the adds. If not go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc online and look at the ads for your area. At least a few of them probably have a free game or controller with purchase of a 360.

There is a Dynasty Warriors game for 360 but I hear it wasn't so hot, basically a last-gen port.

If you get a Core you just buy a HDD, headset, and wireless controller later. No real tips to it, other than don't buy a core because the Premium is a better value.

Accualt on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ninty Nine Nights isn't so hot, but if you do want it and you work retail pick it up through microsoft retail zone for $9.95.

Sanders on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You might be in it for the wrong games. Fuck Dead Rising.

Sam on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought mine at an FYE and I think I missed a 40 dollar rebate by like a day or two. Sucks and then I saw the EB/GameStop deal with a free game. That may be your best bet.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Mandatory "Dead Rising is an awesome game" post.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    could wait and see how this rumour pans out:

lol hardware revision

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Danke for the info so far. I have all the DW and SW PS2 games so far; those I don't need ports of. And Thanks for the info on the Premium being a cheaper value.

I'd go for that bundle, but I live in the US. And I lack HD TV for the moment. Really see no reason to get a headset at the moment, as I don't game online much, and when I do, I tend to be very quiet.

It's more unnerving that way.

I already know I can play DR on my SD, even with compsite, thanks to a friend bringing his 360 over. It DOES look annoying, though, but I've been nearsighted for years, wear glasses with a psycho high prescription, and have been known to read anything tiny.

No Sunday paper yet, but I'll look into deals. I may hold off on Ninety Nine Nights until trying the 360 demo online.

Also, I'm a Sonic fan. And I've played the 360 Sonic demo. This feels a lot more like Shadow and Heroes than it does SA1 or SA2. What the fuck did they do to the Homing Attack? And I can't Spin Dash at will? Say it ain't so.

Played some Gears of War, and while I enjoy it, it's not a must have for me.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • * kHaN ** kHaN * Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    If you care about HDMI then it would be best to wait a bit longer (unfortunately). It seems MS may finally coming out with a HDMI 360
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5591

If you don't care about HDMI and component cables are more than enough then listen to all the above.

edit:
    Looks like darleysam beat me to the punch

* kHaN * on
    x+khan+x.gif
  • RikatixRikatix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    last week gamestop had a deal where you could trade in your old xbox toward the purchase of a xbox360 for 80$ off and i was all set to do it......until i got a ticket for blowing a stop sign.

edit: Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Rainbow Six Vegas are on sale at Best Buy for 39.99 and EBStop is offering 25% off all used xbox360 games

Rikatix on
    XBox Live: Realtruewarrior
    Wii: 8919.1676.0531.7255
    skull+funk-forumgames.png
    edited January 2007
    also, sorry to derail but which game offers a better multiplayer experience, Rainbow 6 Vegas or GoW, which one do you think will last longer?

Rikatix on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't get a 360 unless you get the premium. The core is a waste of money.

You're also gonna want the headset for future use. Just curious, but did you own an xbox1? If not, you may not know how awesome online gaming is. Trust me, you want a headset.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    With the headset issue, when I'm actually in game I hardly use it, but in the lobby it is really good to be able to talk to people about the game, or you can set up private channels with your friends so you can talk.

Corrosive Monkey on
    edited January 2007
    I do own an XBox. I own a very nice XBox. It has a pretty bow.

But, while I DO know of online gaming, I've rarely felt the urge because, frankly, I don't do FPSes much on consoles (I enjoy the genre, but I suck badly enough with a MOUSE, what use have I for twin sticks?), and I don't enjoy sports at all. So, the two big online genres are gone, and frankly racing and fighters aren't enough to convert me.

If I ever do have the urge to online game, it's either in WoW (barely anymore), or loading up Jedi Academy, running into a room, and getting my ass kicked three times. I am not a GOOD FPS gamer, and that kinda hurts me when my friends ARE, so it turned me off of the online portion of the genre where my skill, or lack of, is so obvious.

Basically, if you ever see some guy named KaosuReido, or some variation thereof, teamkill him quickly to make sure he doesn't end up accidentally spraying rocket launcher rounds in your direction while trying to hit a target WAAAAAY far off the distance after misjudging how far to lead.

This is usually done with a redeemer-type weapon.

But in any case, unlike my Wii, the 360 game adoption will likely be a great deal slower than me (I'm a Wii whore. Major.). So, keep info coming for more hugses, please, if you can.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rikatix wrote:
    also, sorry to derail but which game offers a better multiplayer experience, Rainbow 6 Vegas or GoW, which one do you think will last longer?

My opinion? For multiplayer? Rainbow 6. Unless you're looking for a straight deathmatch kind of game, then GOW.

Aoi on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can you transfer saves from the original Xbox to the 360 via memory card?

Then again, I'm not sure I can trade in my original until they patch JSRF support into the 360.

Mai-Kero on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:
    Sam wrote:
    Mandatory "Dead Rising is an awesome game" post.
    I got bored with it after not too long. :|

I really liked it though

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    god 99 nights is crap

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited January 2007
    god 99 nights is crap

Can someone explain what's so crappy about it? And take into context, I'm a DW/SW fan, and have been since DW3. I know how repetative it can get.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    god 99 nights is crap

Can someone explain what's so crappy about it? And take into context, I'm a DW/SW fan, and have been since DW3. I know how repetative it can get.

If you like DW, you'll probably like 99 nights. Its DW with less save points and more animeish stylings.

solsovly on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To me... it just doesn't sound like you would get very much out of owning a 360. I'm betting the occasional play at your friends house and future Wii games will satisfy you more than the typical genre that is on the 360.

Save your money for the strip clubs

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited January 2007
    To me... it just doesn't sound like you would get very much out of owning a 360. I'm betting the occasional play at your friends house and future Wii games will satisfy you more than the typical genre that is on the 360.

I was thinking this for a while, and leaning towards a PS3, but fuck man...

You've got a point, though. That's why the thread. I'm looking into what I'd get out of it in the present and the future.I know I need a system other than the Wii for the more "normal" next-Gen games, so I'm trying to decide.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

You've got a point, though. That's why the thread. I'm looking into what I'd get out of it in the present and the future.I know I need a system other than the Wii for the more "normal" next-Gen games, so I'm trying to decide.

360 can be good even if you don't like FPSes. There are several third person shooters, quite a few action titles, racing games(TDU!), few fighting games, the XBLA....'Tis worth it.

yalborap on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

since you don't sound decided, i'd recommend waiting. I picked up my 360 for a good price (for the bundle), because i simply had to play Gears of War. Now, i'm seeing there's likely to be a revision, that'll run cooler, have a 120gb drive, and HDMI support for 1080p (or something, but that's the part that won't affect me for years, so i don't really care). If i were you, i'd wait for that, if anything. It'll likely be at around the price you'd pay for a current 360, should be more reliable, you'll have a bigger hard-drive too. And if you don't want all that, a current Premium 360 will be a whole lot cheaper, and you could pick one up that's being sold for cheap on eBay. Unless you absolutely have to play 360 games now, wait it out, and you'll win big.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd say just get a 360 premium if there are games you want on it. Its a damn fine system, and you will never be at a shortage/drought of good titles (an unfortunate problem that has plagued Nintendo home consoles since the n64).

Getting a 360 right now would give you an entire year of previous good releases at your fingertips, and a fucking glorious 2007 to look forward to (Bioshock, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Castle Crashers, Eternal Sonata, Symphony of the Night XBLA, Halo 3, GRAW2, Lost Odyssey, and more).

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I mean I just look at what you've said...

not into GoW
    not into shooters at all really
    don't care much for online
    no HD

I mean those 4 things ARE XBOX 360. The games you're looking at are niche titles and while MS is doing a better job at begging people to make those games and even making them themselves it will never be what the 360 is about.

It would be like me owning a Wii for the Opera browser which is really the only thing that interests me.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited January 2007

not into GoW
    no HD

I mean those 4 things ARE XBOX 360. The games you're looking at are niche titles and while MS is doing a better job at begging people to make those games and even making them themselves it will never be what the 360 is about.

It would be like me owning a Wii for the Opera browser which is really the only thing that interests me.

You're a little off; I AM into shooters. I love shooters. I do NOT love playing them online a ton, but if it's free for a month I'd dick around a bit. I'd probably buy GoW, it's just not a must have. I'd LOVE to get an HD, and I will ASAP, but I'm fine with composite until then.

My thing about shooters is, I hate ones like Doom. No story, no real sense of accomplishment, just "Look, a room. Enemies. Dead. Repeat." GoW seemed to break this up a bit. I'm more the Deus Ex and System Shock 2 type, however, which means Bioshock will give me love.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007

not into GoW
    no HD

Look at my post above. The number of games that are must have shooters on that list for 2007 is small.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BrutletoyBrutletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Check eBay buy it now option. Seriously. I bought a xbox 360 premium, with 2 (extra) wired controllers for $339 shipped. plus it came with tiger woods 2006 which got me 4 dollars back at eb, and it also came with those 3 burger king games which are still firmly wrapped in shrink wrap, and will probally stay there forever. That is unless I see that sneak king commercial again and get a powerful need to hide from people as The King.
    But seriously, great deals for Xbox 360's on eBay, there was a permium one for $300 shipped, but the guy didn't send it and I got my $$ refunded.

Brutletoy on
    Stuff
    edited January 2007
    I should mention I can knock $150 of the final price due to Giftcards and such at Gamestop.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Buying a Wii gave me a 360 jones too. I ended up simply wanting more FPS's. I think about Lost Planet and how much better, it would be with a Wiimote.

mekman 2 on
    edited January 2007
    mekman 2 wrote:
    Buying a Wii gave me a 360 jones too. I ended up simply wanting more FPS's. I think about Lost Planet and how much better, it would be with a Wiimote.
    My friend mentioned that during the demo; the reticule doesn't stay centered, so it's like a weirdly messed up aiming system.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mekman 2 wrote:

The idea of the Wiimote controlling the hookshot is nifty, but might be too loose and organic for controlling the mechs. Pads feel closer to a Steel Battalion mechanical experience. Plus y'know, the Wii couldn't handle the graphics. For shooting and grappling though, yeah, the remote would be pretty sweet.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mekman 2 wrote:
    My friend mentioned that during the demo; the reticule doesn't stay centered, so it's like a weirdly messed up aiming system.

I made it through the demo, (fighting the big bug things, classic awesome Capcom boss.) I didn't experience any problems with the version I was playing. I was just enjoying myself though wishing I could aim just a little quicker, and not through dual analog.

EDIT: 'Rather the reticule moves too slowly, hence the game has a quick turn on the shoulder buttons, I don't think I would need this if I had a Wiimote / mouse control.

mekman 2 on
    edited January 2007
    Also, I have a 19'' Flatscreen LCD monitor from Samsung; the 931BF Syncmaster. Should I pick up 360 VGA cables? I assume they exist. And if so, where, and how much?

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mekman 2 wrote:
    mekman 2 wrote:

I made it through the demo, (fighting the big bug things, classic awesome Capcom boss.) I didn't experience any problems with the version I was playing. I was just enjoying myself though wishing I could aim just a little quicker, and not through dual analog.

EDIT: 'Rather the reticule moves too slowly, hence the game has a quick turn on the shoulder buttons, I don't think I would need this if I had a Wiimote / mouse control.

I'd take mouse control over the remote.

I'm actually not sold on it for shooters. Besides, Lost Planet controls differently than other shooters.

(Aim moves while the screen stays put)

Ranced on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like analog control over mouse now. Pixel perfect aiming with a mouse isn't very realistic and I hate, hate, hate being sniped so easily online. I'm not saying analog is better but I do enjoy it more.

Accualt on
    edited January 2007
    k sunday night after work i am so going to walmart and buying a 360

Rikatix on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also, I have a 19'' Flatscreen LCD monitor from Samsung; the 931BF Syncmaster. Should I pick up 360 VGA cables? I assume they exist. And if so, where, and how much?
    I got a 19" LCD Samsung 940bx and my tv is only 13 inches so I definitely had to pick them up. They cost 40 bucks but the games look so good on it.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!