As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Me too. I keep trying other MMOs (Fallen Earth, Warhammer, Aion, CoX, CO), but nothing is doing it for me. This must be how Natalie Portman's high school boyfriend feels now when he takes a girl out.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Me too. I keep trying other MMOs (Fallen Earth, Warhammer, Aion, CoX, CO), but nothing is doing it for me. This must be how Natalie Portman's high school boyfriend feels now when he takes a girl out.

That's a good analogy I suppose. No MMO will ever be as good as your first.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »

That's a good analogy I suppose. No MMO will ever be as good as your first.

SWG was my first, I loved it but I know now that I just didn't know any better. Nostalgia still means my first is fondly remembered but by no means my favorite.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    FFXI wasn't my first MMO but it was the first one where I actually figured out what I was doing and played something other than just a random dpser

Grath on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm so glad to see so many people that actually enjoyed the fact that FFXI wasn't easy. Some of my favorite memories are of just walking through dangerous areas, trying to find your way around mobs that you know will wreck your shit, and discovering new pathways and beautiful new vistas in the process. I can still remember that frightful first trip to Jeuno, nothing to guide me except the encouragement of my linkshell mates, slowly creeping my way through the Pashhow Marshlands, my nerves taut, avoiding everything, and finding some back passage that led me through narrow pathways infested with Malboro, finally making it through into the open, relatively safe Rolanberry Fields, a clear path now open before me. Or guiding my friends through the Beaucedine Glacier on any number of quests (I don't know if it says more about me or FFXI that, to this day, three years since I've played, that I could still probably find my way to Shiva fight without many missteps.)

The only real problem I had with FFXI (aside from some of the absurd manpower/time requirements for endgame content) is the whole camping for xp parties thing (though I did enjoy the occasional party that would explore unusual zones looking for different camping spots and mobs to xp on), although that probably wasn't the intention of the developers and that fault lies as much with the player base as them. Although even with that I do have some fond memories (I distinctly remember hiding in the middle of the lake in Qufim at night while the undead roamed.) Hopefully they find a way to incentivize exploration/roaming xp parties/questing, while maintaining the length of the game.

I'm curious if they aren't going to go with a variant of the FFIX/FFTA skill system. I could see a system where each piece of equipment is tied to a class, and once you learn the skill it teaches then you can access it as long as you have a piece of equipment tied to that class equipped in the same slot. I wonder if certain pieces of equipment will have skills that aren't learnable, but only active while that specific item is equipped though. At any rate, I'm probably going for a Marauder, hoping it fills the same role as a Warrior, my FFXI class.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have been waiting for this game for years. I played FFXI forever. And it arrives right after I find fallen earth.

On topic, I loved the challenge innate in FFXI. I loved being social and knowing people on my shard. I played a WHM, a BLM, a WAR, and a RDM up to about ~30 but never got farther, and I've always regretted it.

And the videos for this look absolutely spectacular. I hope they still focus substantially on grouping, because a certain masochistic part of me likes waiting around for a group socializing and shit. As long as you're not a DRG or something.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like grouping as long as my odds of finding a group I can tolerate are decent. I play MMOs to play with people. MMOs make pretty poor single-player games.

The problem is I'm a huge asshole, so...

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I have been waiting for this game for years. I played FFXI forever. And it arrives right after I find fallen earth.

On topic, I loved the challenge innate in FFXI. I loved being social and knowing people on my shard. I played a WHM, a BLM, a WAR, and a RDM up to about ~30 but never got farther, and I've always regretted it.

And the videos for this look absolutely spectacular. I hope they still focus substantially on grouping, because a certain masochistic part of me likes waiting around for a group socializing and shit. As long as you're not a DRG or something.

While I haven't played another MMORPG, I've noticed a common theme among my friends that do that most other MMORPGs lacked the social cohesiveness across the server that FFXI had. I don't know if it was the server sizes, the constant need for grouping and larger than normal party sizes, or the sheer time the game required that did it, but I hope FFXIV keeps that aspect. I liked knowing who the other major players on my server were, who was good and who sucked, and all that sort of stuff. It gave the world a sense of community beyond just being a bunch of strangers who happened to be on the same server.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I remember hiding on that lake in Qufim! It was a neat trick, but pretty terrifying the first time you did it.

I recall running to Jueno way before I could handle the mobs on the way. Scary stuff. I ended up dying in a zone before Rolanberry, and I was waiting around, mentally preparing myself to do it all again. A few minutes later a WHM rode by but he didn't stop and I was bummed. A few seconds later though he came back, hopped of his chocobo and raised me. I was really, really happy about that. I was playing Warhammer awhile ago, and someone in a scenario kept raising me when I died. I appreciated the effort, but it was more of an annoyance than anything else.

A few months later I ran a level 1 to Jueno from Windy. It was a nail biter of a trip, but I made it without dying. Good times.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, do you guys think that the job system is going to borrow heavily from FFIX/FFT:A? I know they've hinted at it being some sort of system that's based on what weapon you're holding... but, I think it would be ideal if most every piece of equipment granted you a skill if you use it long enough. Along with each body slot having an equippable skill.

I would be in heaven. The customizability would be insane.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaemasDaemas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hopefully this starts sometime soon.

Daemas on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, do you guys think that the job system is going to borrow heavily from FFIX/FFT:A? I know they've hinted at it being some sort of system that's based on what weapon you're holding... but, I think it would be ideal if most every piece of equipment granted you a skill if you use it long enough. Along with each body slot having an equippable skill.

They have been too vague in interviews to tell how it will really work. Hopefully that beta starts soon and more information will be released. Though I'm sure there will be some sort of NDA.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

They have been too vague in interviews to tell how it will really work. Hopefully that beta starts soon and more information will be released. Though I'm sure there will be some sort of NDA.

did that ever stop anybody before? I mean, as long as your blur out the character name and such, home free.

Daemas on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Man i hope not, I HATED the fft:a system. i had to intentionally weaken my people so they could learn something. the orignal fft system for skills was much better

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For any of you that haven't seen them, Kotaku has a number of screens up, A number of which I haven't seen... there are giant crabs.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Those are in-game shots? If so, holy eye candy.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do they have a weak spot?

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Those are in-game shots? If so, holy eye candy.

Not all of them, certainly. The ones that are omgwtfhuge like #1 are definitely prerednered, #18 looks like in game.

KiTA on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh my god those pictures. FFXI nostalgia so bad right now.

edit: oh god

tarutaru!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sure does look purdy. I hope my PC can handle it with the eye candies turned on.

But man...they need to just dump that new "taru" model and put in the XI ones. These new ones don't even get close to competing in cute and cuddly-ness.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sure does look purdy. I hope my PC can handle it with the eye candies turned on.

But man...they need to just dump that new "taru" model and put in the XI ones. These new ones don't even get close to competing in cute and cuddly-ness.

Seriously. Tarutaru, not Elvaantaru.

Like everyone else, I hope this game has faster combat and less downtime. Unlike everyone else, I would like to see instancing, because I think it's a good solution to the silliness that is camping. I mean yeah, good times were had hunkering down in remote and dangerous locations or seeking out really exotic campsites like Sahuaguin at the Grotto entrance in Kwhatever Jungle, but even better times can be had purposefully clearing out a well-designed area.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the Kotaku link. Sad that there arent any good IN GAME pics yet. Not speculated shots, but actual game play. Bah

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    they have a few gameplay demonstration videos on gametrailers, but they were really unimpressive

though i think that might be because the demonstrators looked like they had no clue what they were doing

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I only looked at the first ones at first. I think some of them ARE in game. The landscape shots and numbers 18-27 look in-game to me.

I like the art style, and what I've seen very much "feels" like ffxi, which is good.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I honestly like the newer Taru better. Any species that cannot reach further out than the width of it's head has no use for arms.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The only use for Taru arms is the excited emote.

Other than that they should just use their immense magical abilities to control their weapons.

That's pretty much the only way Taru could be better. If they used their minds to wield their weapons of murder.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

Other than that they should just use their immense magical abilities to control their weapons.

That's pretty much the only way Taru could be better. If they used their minds to wield their weapons of murder.

That would be fucking awesome, combined with floating along above the ground so that they kept up with the races that had real legs.

On an unrelated note, when did we get the "insert current track" signature button down there?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That would be fucking awesome, combined with floating along above the ground so that they kept up with the races that had real legs.

On an unrelated note, when did we get the "insert current track" signature button down there?

I don't see what you're referring to. On the forums? I don't see that.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited December 2009

button.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i have never wanted a game more then this one

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009

button.jpg

Yeah that's totally not there on my screen.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited December 2009
    I wonder what is doing that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't feel like finding the link where I saw it, but the FFXIV Beta will not be out until sometime in 2010. :( Hopefully it's like first week or two of January.

Daemas on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I found this today. I think it was mentioned before in this thread, but holy shit gameplay visuals are pretty...

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25995

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cool animations on the whateverdodos.

It looked like the people playing didn't know how to play...I remember reading articles of english-speaking journalists who played the german version of the game and couldn't read any of the menus, I wonder if this is something like that. The one with the bow didn't seem to know how to target.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daemas wrote: »
    I don't feel like finding the link where I saw it, but the FFXIV Beta will not be out until sometime in 2010. :( Hopefully it's like first week or two of January.

There are 5 days left in 2009. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the beta won't be out until 2010.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Daemas wrote: »

There are 5 days left in 2009. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the beta won't be out until 2010.

but there were like 13 or 14 when the sign up started :P

The team said it wanted to be in beta for longer than FFXI was in beta (which was about 3.5 months). Most people and websites agree that they are going to release in late Summer/Fall '10. So we would probably see the BETA at latest March or April to get 4 months of beta time. But hopefully they allow for 6 months.

Daemas on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The landscape screenshots are so gorgeous ;_;

Cannot wait for my beta invitation. I am a Target Demographic Female with 100% Final Fantasy Fanaticism and 168 free hours a week to test this crap, don't disappoint me Squeenix.

Xhero on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WHY ARE THE TARUTARU SO UGLY. Goddamn, Squeenix. You ruined my favorite race.

I'm decidedly neutral-feeling about the entire thing at this point in time, looking at the screenshots and the information available, and I am usually excited about Square products. It looks pretty, but not very... substantial? Am I missing something, here?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lucedes wrote: »
    WHY ARE THE TARUTARU SO UGLY. Goddamn, Squeenix. You ruined my favorite race.

I'm decidedly neutral-feeling about the entire thing at this point in time, looking at the screenshots and the information available, and I am usually excited about Square products. It looks pretty, but not very... substantial? Am I missing something, here?

I get where you're coming from but I think you only really feel that way because they haven't released much information about the game. It is after all still at the internal alpha stage. I think we'll be seeing a lot more information hit the net as we get a little closer to beta.

Daemas on
This discussion has been closed.