As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PLD, DRK, BST, BRD, RNG were the advanced jobs of the base game.

SAM, NIN, DRG and SMN were added with RotZ.

BLU, COR, and PUP were ToAU

DNC and SCH were WotG

EDIT: not that it matters but SMN didn't actually require RotZ, but it was included when it was released. It could be gotten by folks if they didn't have the xpack apparently, but that's mostly irrelevant since it was included in the base game everywhere but JP.

EDIT EDIT: And for completeness the base jobs of the base game:

WAR, THF, RDM, BLM, WHM, MNK

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sim wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    PLD, BRD, DRK, RNG were in the original I think.
    DRG and SMN added in Zilart.
    BLU, COR, and PUP in ToAU.
    DNC and SCH in WotG.

SMN was an original advanced class, it just wasn't released or didn't have any summons until RoZ. NIN and SAM were released with RoZ along with DRG. My point was that even the original advanced classes were almost certainly not available at release date. I'd love it if they released another magic and crafting class option for September, but I won't be surprised if nothing is added before the PS3 version in Q1'11.

This might acually work out to my favor. Maybe I'll actually grab a selection of "base class" skills instead of jumping between seventy-hundred advanced jobs this time. :P

Neurotika on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    As someone who loved Final Fantasy XI immensely, this game looks really, really dull. But, well, so did FFXI if you were just watching someone play, really.

Rolling whatever the WHM/BRD equivalent would be.

Sneak, I am rolling the same thing you are because BRD and PLD were my aspirations in FFXI

But if you don't play this with me I will straight up light you on fire

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I Just hope the fact that I could use some of my pugilist(monk) abilities as a lancer(dragoon) wasn't a bug.. cause that was straight up awesome.

The way it looks now you just level up weapons you want to use, then once you've unlocked specific abilities with said weapons you can equip them when using other weapons.

Then I wanna get guns and use my lancer TP ability. It deals high damage to the target and to everything between you and the target. The game seems to be way more geared toward fighting multiple enemies with groups.

Grath on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grath wrote: »
    I Just hope the fact that I could use some of my pugilist(monk) abilities as a lancer(dragoon) wasn't a bug.. cause that was straight up awesome.

The way it looks now you just level up weapons you want to use, then once you've unlocked specific abilities with said weapons you can equip them when using other weapons.

Then I wanna get guns and use my lancer TP ability. It deals high damage to the target and to everything between you and the target. The game seems to be way more geared toward fighting multiple enemies with groups.

This is correct, additionally it has been revealed that using one classes ability on another class can alter the way the ability is used. For example: Cure may go from being a centered AoE to a cone, or possibly to a single target spell based on what class you are using it on.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Next time I can play I'm going to level lancer a bit, then switch to archer and see how it works there.

Grath on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This is correct, additionally it has been revealed that using one classes ability on another class can alter the way the ability is used. For example: Cure may go from being a centered AoE to a cone, or possibly to a single target spell based on what class you are using it on.

I was anxious enough about mixing individual class skills, but the bit about different skill combos affecting individual skills is blowing my mind a little. Can the war and magic disciplines be mixed? Are there crafting skills that help with fighting or affect your fighting skills? o_O

sim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They did mention specifically that when a Gladiator uses "Cure," it changes to a self-heal from the party heal that the Tham (?) has and the cone of the Conj (?).

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    some classes get self heals at some points as well. I assume those change to group heals if you switch to a caster type.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For some reason that makes me think of "White Wind."

Mmmmm, White Wind.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the installer you get from the website keep crashing, anyone else have this problem?

klok on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    klok wrote: »
    So the installer you get from the website keep crashing, anyone else have this problem?

Give me your beta account.

I bet I can get the installer working!

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So if I am understanding this correctly, you can level two classes at the same time? I thought you can only use one class at a time...or something. Someone fill me in!

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What exactly will be the equivalent of, say, Bard or Red Mage with this craaaazy new system?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I will really miss Vana'diel and the old jobs in FFXIV. I probably will not unsubscribe from FFXI for that reason.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Here's the deal. When you equip a weapon, you gain a class. For instance, when you equip a greataxe, you become a Maurauder. Now, when you kill something you will gain greataxe xp. With enough greataxe xp, you will level as a Maurauder and gain new Maurading skills. Now, let's say you equip a bow. Now you will gain ranger xp and skills when you level as a ranger.

Here's the interesting part: you can equip any skill you have unlocked for use with any class. So, you can use your Maurauder skills as a Ranger. They may function a bit differently, however. Cure, for example is a self heal if you are a Gladiator, but is a cone if you are a Conjurer. This is assuming you have leveled as a Thamaturge to unlock Cure, of course.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah the ol Final Fantasy V treatment eh? BUT WAIT! ...Can I be a dark knight? Or a Summoner? I know they dont have the exact name....but I really want to be a summoner. :( MECHA-SHIVA!

Riokenn on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You have a physical level and a job level.

physical level is universal (maybe it changes if you become a crafting class i dunno) that levels up all the time with xp. this grants points you distribute among stats, and more points to distribute amongst elemental resists.

weapon level is the job you have, job levels. that grants skill unlocks and set stat bonuses.

that's all i know. dunno how to mix and match.

so you can be physical level 9 and monk 4 (knuckles). then you equip a wand and become a conjurer lvl 1 and still physical lvl 9.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you have X amount of points you can spend equipping abilities you have learned. I assume this is determined by your physical level.

it appears you can equip abilities you have learned but not the initial starting ones.

IE you get to level 4 in pugilist and learn concussive strike, you'll have heavy strike, light strike and conc strike.

you switch to lancer, you have your two lancer starters and concussive strike equipped. now you can use it while wielding a spear.

This causes some of the abilities to change, but I really haven't gotten to experiment with that much yet.

Some other combat changes:
    you typically have 2 starting abilities and you use these often. gone are the days of auto attacking with one skill attack every now and then. Right now you typically bounce between a heavy attack and light attack at level 1~3

You max out your tp very quickly and you will typically use 2-3 tp attacks in a single fight. It is approximately the same speed as building up 5 combo points on a rogue in vanilla wow.

I haven't done any group fighting yet but I hope to soon. The beta test timing was really bad for me last time around :\

Grath on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So... any tips on getting the beta program to run? I'm on the low end of things spec side and it seems to crash everytime I start it up. Any pointers?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I had to buy a new graphics card, cleared the problem right up. My processor and RAM are still at the suck end of the scale, but at least it will load now.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had to buy a new graphics card, cleared the problem right up. My processor and RAM are still at the suck end of the scale, but at least it will load now.

I care, but I'm not sure I a couple hundred dollars care. Maybe I'll just wait until March / April.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah finally got it finished.

SE's Downloader is awful, and I have been saved by another, much better designed program.

Also, am I right in assuming that once you have it downloaded and installed the furthest you can get as of right now is the "Start" + "Quit" menu screen right?
    After that it loads for a bit and then times out because the servers aren't up.

Right?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I got a score on the FFXIV benchmark thats about 3500. You think thats ok to run this game? Also, I am running a Nvidia 9600GTX+ Graphics car. :(

Riokenn on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fuck this game is sounding interesting with the ability to kind of mix and match skills for different classes D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Let me put it this way:

The patching program would not even load for me. It would crash at startup every time. I had the same problem with the benchmark software, it simply would not load.

If you can run the benchmark, you should be able to run the game.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you have X amount of points you can spend equipping abilities you have learned. I assume this is determined by your physical level.

it appears you can equip abilities you have learned but not the initial starting ones.

IE you get to level 4 in pugilist and learn concussive strike, you'll have heavy strike, light strike and conc strike.

you switch to lancer, you have your two lancer starters and concussive strike equipped. now you can use it while wielding a spear.

This causes some of the abilities to change, but I really haven't gotten to experiment with that much yet.

you typically have 2 starting abilities and you use these often. gone are the days of auto attacking with one skill attack every now and then. Right now you typically bounce between a heavy attack and light attack at level 1~3

You max out your tp very quickly and you will typically use 2-3 tp attacks in a single fight. It is approximately the same speed as building up 5 combo points on a rogue in vanilla wow.

I haven't done any group fighting yet but I hope to soon. The beta test timing was really bad for me last time around :\

I'm confused about the dual class/skills stuff. How does it end up showing to other players? Could someone tell that you're a lancer equipped with thermaturge skills?

Fryhole on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fryhole wrote: »

I'm confused about the dual class/skills stuff. How does it end up showing to other players? Could someone tell that you're a lancer equipped with thermaturge skills?

Why would it show you what skills other people have on their hotbars? Has any MMO ever done that?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well its not really comparable in that in every other MMO you know what they should have on their bars simply based on their class.

You wouldn't expect a Warrior to have Fireball on their bar, so there's no question.

Here however, that could very well be a possible scenario; and skills having all sorts of different effects depending on class can make a huge difference in the way people play.

For instance, you're the healer. Several of the melee took some damage. You don't want to waste mana on a group heal; who do you prioritize? Do you blow a heal on someone who has a heal sitting right there on their bar from leveling a healing class? You'd want to know that ahead of time to plan accordingly.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't currently see a way to tell what another player had, but so far it doesn't seem like you need to rely on other players as much to level so its not as big of a deal.

Grath on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would prefer them not to include a system in which you can alienate other players for deciding not to go with whatever flavor-of-the-month cookie cutter build that the internet tells them is what they should be using on their character to have "fun"

This system seems to favor people trying things out and designing characters to their liking. Of course there will be what the hardcore players consider the "ideal" builds, but I don't think we really need to cater to that end of the spectrum and risk having people punished for wanting to play their character their own way.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm thinking sub-job here, so I should've clarified. I don't think this game is limiting people to a certain subset of skills like in FFXI. Overall I'm just curious as to how you'd show up in a list if someone did a 'who' or whatever the command/UI is to see other players and people looking to group up. Either way I'm guessing if it only shows your 'main job' you'll have the ability to type a little description or something of what exactly you're doing with your character, or at least generalize. (ex. 15 lancer w/healing skills, etc)
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Why would it show you what skills other people have on their hotbars? Has any MMO ever done that?

Yes, every other MMO will tell you what class the player is (unless they're anon or something) which gives you a general idea of what they can accomplish. Also - what The Dude said.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »

I got a score on the FFXIV benchmark thats about 3500. You think thats ok to run this game? Also, I am running a Nvidia 9600GTX+ Graphics car. :(

Square-Enix has said that anything over 2,500 is good enough.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm thinking sub-job here, so I should've clarified. I don't think this game is limiting people to a certain subset of skills like in FFXI. Overall I'm just curious as to how you'd show up in a list if someone did a 'who' or whatever the command/UI is to see other players and people looking to group up. Either way I'm guessing if it only shows your 'main job' you'll have the ability to type a little description or something of what exactly you're doing with your character, or at least generalize. (ex. 15 lancer w/healing skills, etc)

Yes, every other MMO will tell you what class the player is (unless they're anon or something) which gives you a general idea of what they can accomplish. Also - what The Dude said.

This is all conjecture...I'm assuming that, through skill potency and cost to equip, each class should play very distinctly like its primary function. a) your sub-class skills will have a higher cost to equip and/or b) your subclass skills will have some severe limitations.

FFXI tried to do this with two big rules - your subjob was half your main's level and each skill is stuck at that half-level potency (your thf/blm fires like a level 30 vs a level 70). While I think this worked well enough, it did confuse most casual players who had some set vision of their own unique class that they've cooked up in their minds but was ultimately completely gimp. I like the potential of 'slotting' these skills (like GW, I guess), as long as you don't have gladiators in robes shooting fireballs at everything after you've invited them as a tank.

sim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha, considering the ret pallies in leather spellpower gear trying to tank low level instances in WoW; I fully expect to actually see that in XIV. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

What I mean is that the class that a person is currently playing should be a good indication of what their role would be, in a situation with multiple roles I would imagine it's pretty easy to ask what a person is specced for. It's not like in WoW you immediately can tell if a DK is tank spec or DD (nowadays I guess if they are flagged as one or the other in the lfg tool) so you just send them a tell and check.....

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You may be capable of seeing all the levels someone has accumulated in each job. This may give you a rough idea of their abilities. Higher physical leveled people will ultimately be more versatile, apparently.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sure is 13001 around here.

Who wants to bet they'll be canceling this Beta as well?

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    proto128proto128 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did they hit the check box on "Make ATI cards work with this program" yet?

proto128 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    give it some time. EVERYONE is trying to login right now.

Grath on
This discussion has been closed.