As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Error 68/HDD failure - help?

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
So my recently-refurbished 360 has begun giving me an "error 68" when I power it up. Apparently this indicates either a hard drive failure or a problem with the connection to the HDD, and as the machine boots when I remove the drive, I'm guessing it's the former. I'm given to understand it's also kind of rare, especially compared to the RRoD.

Aside from a diagnosis, I haven't really found dick on the internet except a bunch of dodgy Russian webpages and half-literate Gamespot threads from 2007. Even Microsoft's knowledge base just returns a "page not found" error and suggests I call customer support.

So I'm at my wits' end. Basically what I'm wondering is

- will MS customer support be able to help me with this at all, or will they just tell me to buy a new HDD? And what form might such help take? For the record, I bought my box in November of 2007 and it redringed this October and I received a refurb back a week later. It's got their little 90-day warranty on it still. Will that even matter?

- If I do buy a new drive, is there a chance my saved data could be salvageable? How is that stuff usually transferred, anyway?

- If my data can't be saved, what is the procedure for recovering my profile and stuff from Live?

- Also, I might be imagining things, but when I took the drive out, the console booted and worked, but the fans sounded awfully loud. Could that mean anything?

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Also, for that matter, where the heck do I even go to buy a replacement, if it comes to that? Amazon don't seem to have any new, they're all third-party resellers.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could use a transfer cable (look on ebay) to hook it up to your PC and see if it's still accessible/responding to SATA commands. If it is then your savegames etc may still be salvageable.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    If I could migrate the files to my computer, would it be possible to put them back on another drive?

Jacobkosh on