As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    RFID credit cards (Which I will confess are different from NFC phone payments) certainly seem more secure than magstrips at the Point of Sale, but I worry a heck of a lot about how easy those things are to sniff from a distance. There's more than one DEFCON presentation or similar about how "tap to pay" credit cards are pretty easy to steal without making physical contact.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Just wear lead pants, nbd.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    LaOs wrote: »
    The functional problem with gas pumps is you need to authorize the card first to activate the pumps to prevent drive offs, but you also don't know how much the transaction will be until it's done pumping. So for a chip card you'd have to leave the card in for the entire duration, which can cause problems for shared card readers and allow physical card theft.

That's not how it works up here (Canada). It does ask you to enter the cash amount you want to purchase, pre-authorizes for that amount (after you enter your pin), and then gives you your card back before dispensing fuel from the pump. You're only actually charged for the amount you pump. It's a smooth, quick process that only sucks because being outside in winter sucks. :P

Yeah, that's how it works here in the UK too, if you pay at the pump. (For pay at kiosk, we still pump first, then go in and pay. I've not heard about drive offs being a problem here, though.)

Chip cards are ubiquitous here. NFC at pumps still seems very rare; I don't actually recall seeing it. But at our fuel prices, the NFC limit for a card would be pathetically little fuel; obviously that would be less of an issue for phones but I guess not having it avoids confusion that way.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The functional problem with gas pumps is you need to authorize the card first to activate the pumps to prevent drive offs, but you also don't know how much the transaction will be until it's done pumping. So for a chip card you'd have to leave the card in for the entire duration, which can cause problems for shared card readers and allow physical card theft.

That's not how it works up here (Canada). It does ask you to enter the cash amount you want to purchase, pre-authorizes for that amount (after you enter your pin), and then gives you your card back before dispensing fuel from the pump. You're only actually charged for the amount you pump. It's a smooth, quick process that only sucks because being outside in winter sucks. :P

US doesn't have chip and pin.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Just wear lead pants, nbd.

https://pjxray.com/x-ray-lead-skirts.html

I'm set.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That is not as expensive as I was expecting!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    RFID credit cards (Which I will confess are different from NFC phone payments) certainly seem more secure than magstrips at the Point of Sale, but I worry a heck of a lot about how easy those things are to sniff from a distance. There's more than one DEFCON presentation or similar about how "tap to pay" credit cards are pretty easy to steal without making physical contact.

Yeah, the early RFID cards were a security nightmare (they just sent your CC#, Exp, and extra ID in plain-text to anyone who asked), but I think the newer ones are slightly better.

Rotating "virtual" CC# is probably the best solution for our current infrastructure.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

oh that's a much better idea, all the US pumps I've ever seen still operate in the "pump until you release the pump handle, the cost spins up as you go" style of analog pumps from the olden pre-computerized pump days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Zynga breach originally reported back in September turns out to have had over 172 million accounts' details stolen. Usernames, emails and salted/hashed passwords.

Have I Been Pwned lists it as the 10th biggest breach it's ever recorded, and the second biggest from a household name (after MySpace's 360 million accounts breach in 2008 that wasn't made public until 2016).

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think I might have gotten hit by that gas station compromised credit card attack.

Fueled up using my card since I hadn't gotten around to hitting the ATM (I pay with cash often for the marginal decrease in price, but had been lazy last night). That night two holds and a purchase went through, then my bank declined a second purchase and informed me.

Don't use cards at gas stations folks!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you do use a card at a gas station, use a credit card and not a debit card. That way, if your card is compromised, they're not taking money right out of your bank account.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Usually the cc agreements have better refund procedures for fraud than the debit cards.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Speaking of gas stations, add WaWa to the list of breaches.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    They have a page for it! https://www.wawa.com/alerts/data-security

Free credit monitoring for a year, like usual.

I think every big company has this already prepped at this point...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    If you do use a card at a gas station, use a credit card and not a debit card. That way, if your card is compromised, they're not taking money right out of your bank account.

Really though, just never use a debit card for anything. Ever. I hate even using it at my bank’s drive up ATM and will only use the one in my office since that is a locked down, gated building

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Once again proving that Sheetz is better.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Once again proving that Sheetz is better.

No. Bad dog.

• Options
    And the bank next day airmailed a new card to me but it's contactless. Do you jerkasses WANT more fraud? Or have they finally fixed relay attacks? (a quick google says only Mastercard had bothered with an updated spec as of a year ago).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
  • Options
    fucking amazing

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm so surprised

wait, no, it's the other thing

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FUCKING FREEZE YOUR CREDIT IF YOU HAVEN'T. IT'S A CHRISTMAS GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    FUCKING FREEZE YOUR CREDIT IF YOU HAVEN'T. IT'S A CHRISTMAS GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING.

Can't draw blood from a stone!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is anyone else getting security notifications when visiting these forums?

Since wiping my GPU drivers prior to installing my new GPU and updating my Antivirus software a few weeks ago, I'm getting nonstop "Suspicious connection blocked" notifications, but only while browsing these forums.

No other website seems to do this.

Done multiple system scans with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, but nothing comes up.

I can still browse the forum but the notification popups are super annoying and I can't seem to figure out how to stop them from popping up at the corner of my screen.

EDIT: reference the notification is usually this:
    Suspicious connection blocked
    one minute ago

Feature:
    Online Threat Prevention

firefox.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to hw1.pa-cdn.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one

And it makes typing anything here very difficult before the notification popup takes me out of whatever text field I'm in on the forums, including login.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I haven't seen 'em on my home connection.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    This never happened to me before I uninstalled the drivers, so maybe its related. Or maybe one of my one of my firefire add-ons is causing this somehow

I'm using sponsor block, ublock origin, https everywhere and disconnect. Just removed sponsor block as that was one I installed recently and to be honest it hasn't been working to remove sponsored advertisement from youtuber videos.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You don't need Disconnect if you are already using Ublock Origin. Might want to just get rid of it.

My guess is that you have a faulty filter rule/list that is causing one of your extensions to prevent connections to the site.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah you should be able to whitelist that source/extension, at the least.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I'm not currently getting any kind of security notification from the forums, but I have in the past for sure.

Usually it's something that someone has in their signature, pointing toward some other site. Which makes diagnosing the issue difficult, because it doesn't happen on every page - just certain ones where that particular individual may have posted.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

Since wiping my GPU drivers prior to installing my new GPU and updating my Antivirus software a few weeks ago, I'm getting nonstop "Suspicious connection blocked" notifications, but only while browsing these forums.

Done multiple system scans with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, but nothing comes up.

I can still browse the forum but the notification popups are super annoying and I can't seem to figure out how to stop them from popping up at the corner of my screen.

one minute ago

Feature:
    Online Threat Prevention

firefox.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to hw1.pa-cdn.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one

And it makes typing anything here very difficult before the notification popup takes me out of whatever text field I'm in on the forums, including login.

I believe that's a bitdefender alert. But I suspect it might be an interaction with your https everywhere stuff because the little bit of forum content from hw1.pa-cdn.com is not encrypted, it's normal http.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I've had one before on my phone (although I can't remember what it said) when I've had to grudgingly resort to public wifi. At that point I can't get on the forums at all. But if I then put my VPN on, it's fine again.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

one minute ago

Feature:
    Online Threat Prevention

I believe that's a bitdefender alert. But I suspect it might be an interaction with your https everywhere stuff because the little bit of forum content from hw1.pa-cdn.com is not encrypted, it's normal http.

I thought that extension is just trying to negotiate to https if the connection will support it. Since it's actually coming back with a cert mismatch that seems like an issue with the cdn server.

• Options
    So I tried disabling Https Everywhere for 'hw1.pa-cdn.com' in , but now I'm getting the alerts for 'alabasterslim.com'

Is this site associated with Penny Arcade? I don't want to go down a rabbit hole and make too many exclusions

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    alabasterslim.com is @Suds ' site that produces the dynamic Steam sig images a lot of folks use.

• Options
    Except we can't now because of the bug that's preventing people from updating their sigs because of some max characters error.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    alabasterslim.com is @Suds ' site that produces the dynamic Steam sig images a lot of folks use.

Oh good. I was worried it was one of the scammers that occasionally post threads with spam.

Alright so making the exclusions for those two sites seems to have worked. Thanks guys!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    it occasionally has issues with false positives and used to cause the page to load indefinitely a few years back, so if there's an issue let them know

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    How could I update my sigs so you guys don’t get this issue? Switch to https?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    https probably would alleviate the "something on this page isn't secure" style errors

you can get free certificates from https://letsencrypt.org/ if you are looking for a place to get one

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If I recall correctly A2 hosting also offers free encryption.

Fake edit: Actually they just use letsencrypt too.

DisruptedCapitalist on