As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but it felt less like a confident "is that all you got," and more a confused "..that's it?"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My phone's Reddit app isn't letting me put up a post, so I get to ask you guys instead. FWIW, I have an idea why this isn't the way it is, but it's an entertaining question the week before Memorial Day (and don't take my question as 100% serious).

Why do virus creators have such benign names for their viruses? If I was the malicious type, I'd make sure to name the virus "DICKS DICKS I LOVE DICKS" so that it makes reporting on the virus that much more awkward for writers and newscasters.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My phone's Reddit app isn't letting me put up a post, so I get to ask you guys instead. FWIW, I have an idea why this isn't the way it is, but it's an entertaining question the week before Memorial Day (and don't take my question as 100% serious).

Why do virus creators have such benign names for their viruses? If I was the malicious type, I'd make sure to name the virus "DICKS DICKS I LOVE DICKS" so that it makes reporting on the virus that much more awkward for writers and newscasters.

Most viruses aren't named by their creators. They're normally named by the people who discover and dissect them. They're usually named based on strings or naming conventions found in the dissected viruses.

• Options
    That's more-or-less what I assumed.

In that case, the white hats need to develop better senses of humor. At this point, I'd be happy with someone calling a virus the 'Butts' virus, for the reasons I outlined above.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    hak5 is running a sale on their "field kit" bundles. if you want a bunch of gadgets with clever names in a pouch.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    A variety of media players (notably including VLC) have had a vulnerability exposed wherein they can execute arbitrary code via corrupted subtitles (Apologies for the potentially inaccurate paraphrase).

The important bit: Update your media player. I know I'm bad about keeping VLC up to date, but this was enough for me to ensure I'm running the most current version.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Basically, you should go here to get notified about vulnerabilities for a ton of products They've got a RSS feed or you can sign up to get a weekly summary. It's where I go to learn about most vulnerabilities.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Looking to clean up an old Dell laptop with windows vista to donate/recycle. Is using the Dell factory image restore enough to securely wipe the hard drive? The process says that the hard drive will be reformatted before the factory image is applied.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not really. Anything overwritten by the image will be pretty secure but the format probably won't even do a block-level wipe, just rebuild the partition and allocation tables.
    If you want to wipe the drive completely, delete the sensitive data in its current form, load a free space wiper (CCleaner includes one for example) and go to town on it, then do the reload and wipe the free space left after that again.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Not really. Anything overwritten by the image will be pretty secure but the format probably won't even do a block-level wipe, just rebuild the partition and allocation tables.
    If you want to wipe the drive completely, delete the sensitive data in its current form, load a free space wiper (CCleaner includes one for example) and go to town on it, then do the reload and wipe the free space left after that again.

Yeah I'm running Dban's Boot and Nuke to wipe the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. For peace of mind and doing whomever gets this a solid by not giving them a dell image from 2009 with all the bloatware.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, right, it's a disc-based reload, not a reload partition (got too used to HP's)? Yeah, Darik's Boot and Nuke is deffo the way to go then.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I've used sysinternals sdelete.exe and ccleaner to wipe disks. And my understanding is that you really don't need much more than 3 passes to securely delete, though I do typically still use 8 since we let those sit overnight and they're done in the morning.

Though back in the day, I did do Gutmann wipes (35 passes). That was..... fun.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    It's been quite a while since the OP was updated. What's the most effective antivirus folks are recommending these days?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I've used sysinternals sdelete.exe and ccleaner to wipe disks. And my understanding is that you really don't need much more than 3 passes to securely delete, though I do typically still use 8 since we let those sit overnight and they're done in the morning.

Though back in the day, I did do Gutmann wipes (35 passes). That was..... fun.

Frankly anything more than than a single secure delete pass is overkill for anyone who doesn't have enemies in high levels of government/ corporate overlords. If someone is willing to throw thousands of dollars at recovering data from the HDD of a PC you sold them used, you've got much bigger problems.

The built in Windows crypt program can also do 1s -> 0s -> random pass of unallocated space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    It's been quite a while since the OP was updated. What's the most effective antivirus folks are recommending these days?

I'm still using Avira. It works for me.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I've been on ESET for some time now, and I do appreciate how it stays low profile, and also provides a number of great tools.

The OP certainly could use considerable updating (We weren't even on Vanilla back when it was originally drafted). The landscape has shifted quite a bit since then. I've been sort of not as intense on this topic as I should be in recent years because of other work.

Does anyone have a desire to fashion a newer OP at all? I'd happily request the mods close this thread to make room for a newer one. If no, I can start thinking about how to fashion the OP into something more current, though it might take me some time to do so.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security (because I got it cheap), but you can do worse than Windows Defender if you're not looking to spend money--at least on Windows 10.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security (because I got it cheap), but you can do worse than Windows Defender if you're not looking to spend money--at least on Windows 10.

I've been rolling with Avast Pro, but I've also heard the free version of Avast is decent enough these days that I'm not sure continuing to shell out for it is a necessity at this point.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Yeah if you're on a fully patched Win10 install Defender is fine, especially if you don't engage in risky behaviors. Double especially if you use Edge or Chrome with a script/ad blocker.

If you're on 7/8/8.1, any of the AV packages security guys recommend are fine.

My primary concern (based on how I use my PC) is drive-by malware from an infected ad network, but those guys aren't usually running 0-days that Defender won't catch.

• Options
    MBAM does such a good job stopping everything that I don't see much point in a separate AV.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I keep getting a notification that my Kaspersky firewall is off, no matter how many I select to turn it on when prompted by windows.

I also have a actions recommended icon in the task bar but whenever I try to open it or window defender it closes almost immediately.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I keep getting a notification that my Kaspersky firewall is off, no matter how many I select to turn it on when prompted by windows.

I also have a actions recommended icon in the task bar but whenever I try to open it or window defender it closes almost immediately.

That's extremely weird and sounds like a conflict in settings between Windows Defender (and its firewall) and Kaspersky and its. I'm using Kaspersky myself with no such issues, with Kaspersky managing my firewall.

There's probably a more elegant solution, but uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky (with a reboot between them where Windows Defender can "fully" turn on) should solve the problem.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Disabling Windows Defender in "Services" in Msconfig seemed to fix the problem.

I fully expect having to do this again in the future, as Windows Defender seems to always find a way to reactivate itself after a while. Probably due to the Windows updates.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options

I fully expect having to do this again in the future, as Windows Defender seems to always find a way to reactivate itself after a while. Probably due to the Windows updates.

Defender always runs a periodic scan even if you have another AV running.

Kaspersky has been a pile of shit lately, though. I'd really still recommend running KAVRemover and reinstalling it to get it cleaned up.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Defender always runs a periodic scan even if you have another AV running.

Kaspersky has been a pile of shit lately, though. I'd really still recommend running KAVRemover and reinstalling it to get it cleaned up.
    Done

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I still say that's weird. I've been using Kaspersky for more than a year since my last re-install on my desktop, and Windows Defender never makes a sound unless I actually disable or pause Kaspersky' scanning.

• Options
    I still say that's weird. I've been using Kaspersky for more than a year since my last re-install on my desktop, and Windows Defender never makes a sound unless I actually disable or pause Kaspersky' scanning.

It won't tell you that it's scanning, but it will.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It won't tell you that it's scanning, but it will.

I assumed some amount of "second layer" defense scanning happens with any other AV client you install on Windows 10, Windows Defender's descriptions nearly say that outright.

What I'm surprised by is the telling--and specifically, attention-grabbing error messages. That's something not working as intended.

• Options
    I'm sure everyone's taken note by now, but there's another world-wide cyberattack going down again.

There's a good thread about it over in D&D.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The recent trend of Anti-Virus makers refusing offer redistributable versions of their software installers for the consumer-level product lines is one of the conceptually dumbest things I've ever seen. Trying to troubleshoot/clean someone's machine but you don't want to connect it to the network in case it has something on it? No sorry tough shit it has to be online or you can't install our product at all. This is a wonderful way to prevent me from recommending your product to a user.

• Options
    Manually edit those hives like a boss!

But yeah, you're not wrong. Some of them have portable versions that do a decent job. TDSSKiller, NPE, and Panda Cloud Cleaner have been pretty successful for me for some more stubborn infections.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I like it because it encourages people to just nuke shit from orbit, which IMO is the best route to take when any malware manages to get it's claws in a system. Consumer antivirus is at an all time level of shittiness now. I just can't condone it's use over windows defender and defensive computing education.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Relying on a cleaner is asking for a secondary payload to not get caught by your anti-virus solution.

Better to just do a total format of the disk and reinstall.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter. It's the customer's decision in the end and if they decide to go that route despite advisement, they're getting exactly what they asked for. I'll do what I can for it, but beyond that it's their die to roll.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I have not read the associated articles but apparently there is the potential for a ban on Kaspersky Lab products when it comes to federal infrastructure. The GS A is supposedly taking it off their approved lists.

• Options
    We use McAfee and Norton products at [unnamed agency] and I'm not necessarily happy about it; but there's nothing I can do about it.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    We use McAfee and Norton products at [unnamed agency] and I'm not necessarily happy about it; but there's nothing I can do about it.

They're all not great. McAfee and Norton are notoriously bad, though. I mean, if they're using all your system resources already, I guess there's nothing left for malware.

I'll stand behind Norton Power Eraser, though. It's pretty solid.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

I run a double AV solution - Webroot (which I pay for), and Immunet, (which is free). I know the tech behind immunet very well, and I trust it. So far, that combination works for me.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    3lwap0 wrote: »

I run a double AV solution - Webroot (which I pay for), and Immunet, (which is free). I know the tech behind immunet very well, and I trust it. So far, that combination works for me.

immunet seems interesting, but it's one of those things that seems like there is a catch. is there a reason you run conventional AV alongside that solution?