As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personal taste and all that, but I think her main issue now is she's simply getting older. I don't think anyone objectively can call her ugly or anything. Not sure I've even seen that come up. And anyway, if by some miracle Farscape did make a return; screw casting someone else in the roll for any reason!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man ODIN BLACK

That is like shit that is the sort of name Dick Wolf would call manly.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man ODIN BLACK

That is like shit that is the sort of name Dick Wolf would call manly.

I wish I was named Odin Black.

Man I've started watching again and back into season 2 and I forgot how awesome this show was. Well that isn't true, I just let the level of awesome slip below my radar. But that has been fixed.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've long been interested in this show and now that you can get the whole thing for 60 us$ I'm ready to pull the trigger. Problem is, my wife's not a big sci-fi girl; is there any chance I can convince her to watch it despite the puppets and latex clad baddie?

Peen on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Personal taste and all that, but I think her main issue now is she's simply getting older. I don't think anyone objectively can call her ugly or anything. Not sure I've even seen that come up. And anyway, if by some miracle Farscape did make a return; screw casting someone else in the roll for any reason!

The fact that she hasn't turned into a plastic manequin through use of botox counts in her favour. Her face is that of a normal attractive 38 year old woman without the facelifts. She seems uglier because most of her contemporaries have had it and it makes them seem more atractive. Right up until you realise they cross into uncanny valley territory.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've long been interested in this show and now that you can get the whole thing for 60 us$ I'm ready to pull the trigger. Problem is, my wife's not a big sci-fi girl; is there any chance I can convince her to watch it despite the puppets and latex clad baddie?

You will get her to watch because of the puppets and the latex clad baddie!

Seriously, Farscape is a show that tries to go beyond the bumpy forehead aliens and etheral energy beings with its Aliens. Its all the better for it.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »

The fact that she hasn't turned into a plastic manequin through use of botox counts in her favour. Her face is that of a normal attractive 38 year old woman without the facelifts. She seems uglier because most of her contemporaries have had it and it makes them seem more atractive. Right up until you realise they cross into uncanny valley territory.

I personally find it rather attractive, but then again as I age I find older women more attractive than younger ones. Her face has character, and she still stays in good shape (of course, being an actress she has TIME to do so... damned cheating thespians).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personal taste and all that, but I think her main issue now is she's simply getting older. I don't think anyone objectively can call her ugly or anything. Not sure I've even seen that come up.

I think someone early in the thread did.

I wanted to flame them, but I was nice.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm curious, the slaveborn that they rescue from the Aurora chair in Season 1, does he just disappear? I could have swore they took him back up to Moya. But after that, he completely disappears.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2010
    I just got done with the 'Marry the Princess' arc in in the 2nd season. Best line of the series so far:

Bad news: You're going to be a statue for 80 years.
    Good news: Chiana and I are having fantastic sex.

Genuine lol. Made up for the glaring plot hole that came next, where they are all wondering who stole his head, conveniently forgetting that his wife was standing right there when it happened. The same thing happened later in the episode, when the agent needed to revitalize John so he could confront the Scarran. If he can talk as a statue, why does he need to be revitalized to bear witness? The only thing I can think of is that they added the 'you can talk to the statue via headset' thing at the last minute, without realizing the holes it introduced.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm curious, the slaveborn that they rescue from the Aurora chair in Season 1, does he just disappear? I could have swore they took him back up to Moya. But after that, he completely disappears.

There was supposed to be a line in the following episode about how they gave him one of Moya's transport pods and he left, but it was accidentally cut out of the script.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just watched the Daedalus Demands - Icarus Abides double havng only ever seen the first half when I was wee. I haven't exercised today so I can't figure out why my eyes are sweating.

It's quite nice having forgot basically everything that's happened or just remembering a couple of episodes here or there because I know it's fantastic and I get to see it all again. Such a good show. Scratch n' Sniff is also amongst my favourites.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just watched "My Three Crichtons" which reminded me of just how damned often Crichton got duplicated in this show. There was the future and past iterations from the episode I just mentioned, the neuralclone scorpius summmoned from the neural chip, and then the famous duplication that lasted for half a season before dying, and apparently was just accross the shroud of death or something.

Heh, if they hadn't all died, they could have had a spinoff! Crichton Squad!
    Future Crichton: The scientific genius ruled by logic! Also not very nice!
    Cave Chrichton: The brawny, simple, yet compassionate muscle of the group!
    Computer Crichton: The living computer program, able to interface and invade any machine!
    Ghost Crichton: The spiritual guru of the group, literally!

Shit, we just need a kleptomaniac version, and nymphomaniac female version and we could replace the original crew. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forlornly, why is this not on blu ray yet. Watching it through HD TV and blu ray player the artifacts are marring joys of my childhood. Silly I know as there where no HD tvs when these where shown so you can't really go back. . . But still Farscape was ahead of it's time with 5.1 sound, it would be perfect at 1080p.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bastable wrote: »
    Forlornly, why is this not on blu ray yet. Watching it through HD TV and blu ray player the artifacts are marring joys of my childhood. Silly I know as there where no HD tvs when these where shown so you can't really go back. . . But still Farscape was ahead of it's time with 5.1 sound, it would be perfect at 1080p.

I was wondering that earlier too. Probably wasn't filmed with HD cameras though, so not sure how well it'd work. Seeing all the detail in the costumes/puppets would be great.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shot on film stock, so hopefully we'll see a quality jump from DVD. If it ever happens.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I just watched "My Three Crichtons" which reminded me of just how damned often Crichton got duplicated in this show. There was the future and past iterations from the episode I just mentioned, the neuralclone scorpius summmoned from the neural chip, and then the famous duplication that lasted for half a season before dying, and apparently was just accross the shroud of death or something.

Computer Crichton: The living computer program, able to interface and invade any machine!

Shit, we just need a kleptomaniac version, and nymphomaniac female version and we could replace the original crew. :D

You forgot the episode with the space bugs that created tons of replicas of all the crew in the first few episodes of season 1.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You forgot the episode with the space bugs that created tons of replicas of all the crew in the first few episodes of season 1.

Disposable extras that can get killed to emphasize "this shit be real, yo" when the ship takes fire!

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

Disposable extras that can get killed to emphasize "this shit be real, yo" when the ship takes fire!

Unrealized Reality Scarran Crichton!

Unrealized Reality PeacekeeperCrichton!

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bastable wrote: »
    Shot on film stock, so hopefully we'll see a quality jump from DVD. If it ever happens.

The problem is the special effects, which were done for SD only. Henson is on record as saying that it'd cost millions of dollars per season to re-do the effects for HD, so it's almost certainly never going to happen.

area on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Let's not forget... Cartoon Crichton!

Echo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just got done watching Liars, Guns and Money and one of things I loved about these episodes is how they bring back a lot of alien characters from Season 1 and have them interact with Moya's crew as well as each other. Watching Behkesh and Rorf snipe at each other was awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm nearing the end of the first season, and I'd have to say that so far Farscape maintains continuity much better than any show that I can think of.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah and the characters actually develop into better characters as the series goes. Not a totally unique aspect of the show, but not exactly a given either.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm re-watching this too!

I forgot how much I loved this show. I really am starting to appreciate Reigel as a character, instead of just a muppet.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm making my way through the 1st season. It can be hard going. I see the potential... But there's a lot of B grade sci fi episodes padding it out. I just watched "Jeramiah Chrighton"... *sigh*

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I'm making my way through the 1st season. It can be hard going. I see the potential... But there's a lot of B grade sci fi episodes padding it out. I just watched "Jeramiah Chrighton"... *sigh*

This is where season 1 picks up.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am absolutely loving the series so far and am really glad I bought the complete series along with the Peacekeeper Wars.

My only small annoyance is the tendancy for characters to be revived / not really dead. Though on the other hand, it creates a feeling of tension by always wondering if this time it is permanent or not.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am absolutely loving the series so far and am really glad I bought the complete series along with the Peacekeeper Wars.

My only small annoyance is the tendancy for characters to be revived / not really dead. Though on the other hand, it creates a feeling of tension by always wondering if this time it is permanent or not.

On Television Without Pity, one episode review noted that it is John and Aeryn's fate
    to see each other die, every single episode.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just finished the fourth and final season:
    I just saw John and Erin get fucking blown up by some alien fighter craft. I'm getting Peacekeeper Wars on Wednesday, does that pick up right where the series left off?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just finished the fourth and final season:
    I just saw John and Erin get fucking blown up by some alien fighter craft. I'm getting Peacekeeper Wars on Wednesday, does that pick up right where the series left off?

Yes. And you have no idea how lucky you are with that piddly wait...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Actually, I remember seeing the series finale when it aired on television. I was infuriated when I found out Farscape wasn't renewed. I tried to watch Peacekeeper Wars a few times on the Sci-Fi channel (SyFY now, *blech) but it was always on at insane hours and I never got to see it.

Now I can finally put all that to rest.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just hang in there, you're at the brink of when the series becomes awesome.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I started watching it on Netflix Instant Watch. I'm liking it so far.

I've always seen it playing on syndication, but never got around to actually watching a full episode.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »

This is where season 1 picks up.

I'm trusting you guys. Don't hurt me.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    [

I'm trusting you guys. Don't hurt me.

For reference, when my wife and I decided to start re-watching Farscape recently we opted to watch the pilot and then jump straight to Durka's Revenge. Pretty sure that's the episode directly after Jeremiah Crichton (maybe 1 in between, not 100% sure).

So yeah, where you're at now? That's exactly where I chose to start for the good stuff.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    For reference, when my wife and I decided to start re-watching Farscape recently we opted to watch the pilot and then jump straight to Durka's Revenge. Pretty sure that's the episode directly after Jeremiah Crichton (maybe 1 in between, not 100% sure).

So yeah, where you're at now? That's exactly where I chose to start for the good stuff.

Hmm, should at least have watched PK Tech Girl before that.

Echo on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Hmm, should at least have watched PK Tech Girl before that.

We both remembered it well enough to skip it, though it would normally be an episode to watch otherwise.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We both remembered it well enough to skip it, though it would normally be an episode to watch otherwise.

Ah, I missed the "re-watched" part.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, saw Durka's revenge last night - so new character there.

What I havent seen much of (despite all the talk about it) is the crazy Peacekeeper commander.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]