As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Thread Arise (for a obscure question)!

Anyone remember the #Farscape channel on Scifi's irc server back when the show was on? There was a bot in there. Anyone remember it's name?

And where is that movie they were talking about?!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Thread Arise (for a obscure question)!

Anyone remember the #Farscape channel on Scifi's irc server back when the show was on? There was a bot in there. Anyone remember it's name?

And where is that movie they were talking about?!

The Peacekeeper wars movie?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. The movie was the ending to the whole thing.

• Options
    No. no, this was way after that. This thing that was a pipe dream.

The real Q was the bot one . :P

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Seeing this thread come back to life is like the absolute worst kind of cocktease.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Well, there are probably plenty of people on the forum who haven't seen it. So were performing a public service here bringing it to their attention!

And maybe someone will know that bots name, grumble...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what bot you are talking about, but it being tangentially related to Farscape has peaked my curiosity?

• Options
    I assume you missed my post at the top of the page? It's very unlikely anyone here would have also been there at the right time, but I was, so figured I'd give it a shot!

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Oh hey Farscape fans.

So the earlier zombification of this Thread made me want to check the show out. Always meant to, never got to.

I remeber hearing a bunch of the first season was aired out of order and/or is out of order on Netflix? Does anyone have a correct viewing order list for me?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I didn't look very hard, but Wikipedia has them in Production Order, as opposed to air date.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    It all aired 99.9% correctly at the time more or less. There were a few shuffles in production and airing, but nothing major like what FOX did with Firefly. You should be able to watch it as presented start to finish. And it just gets better and better, stick with at least the first season. There are a few rough episodes, but only a few.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It all aired 99.9% correctly at the time more or less. There were a few shuffles in production and airing, but nothing major like what FOX did with Firefly. You should be able to watch it as presented start to finish. And it just gets better and better, stick with at least the first season. There are a few rough episodes, but only a few.

The first season kinda goes up and down for a while, then goes up and stays there. the entire last third is top quality.
    Jerimiah Crichton (ep 1x14) was hot garbage, and convinced me to stop watching when it first aired. When I checked it again a year later and it was awesome, I tried looking up old episodes, and found that it suddenly massively improved from the very next episode

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, Jerimiah Crichton is the nadir of the series, and even that is enjoyable in a dumb way.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The multi part episodes were the best.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Also, they could make the season finales a selling point. Something Big Will Explode.

• Options
    Taking The Stone is the worst episode of the series, Jeremiah Crichton was just very meh/boring. Taking The Stone I don't know what the hell they were thinking. The opening to season 4 is on the weak side too, but it's obvious what they were thinking there- try and rope in new people. Guess that failed.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Seeing this thread got me to re-watch a couple of episodes.

I'd forgotten how much of a prick Crichton could be. There are certainly worse protagonists, but he always kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I guess I just didn't like how he went from being a scientist to mostly just being Action Bro.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Farscape is probably the best scifi series overall, in terms of being able to maintain quality (well, for a scifi series that got more than one season). Been running through DS9 again and there are a fuckload of episodes I just cannot care about, Stargate has plenty of episodes that are too hokey and it winds down badly towards the end of the series, and even B5 has most of its worthwhile content in season 2-4 with only a couple of worthwhile episodes in season 1 or 5.

Towards the second season, Farscape hit, and maintained, a solid balance of self-contained events linked to the overarching story per episode, so viewers could generally still enjoy what was going on right now and get to see development of the larger events.

They also managed a pretty damned solid wrap-up of the series; every scifi series I can think of managed to stumble fairly badly at the end, but Farscape kept it together and delivered. Annoying that Netflix has the series but not the Peacekeeper Wars movie, though, because the series itself ends on a dumb cliffhanger without that.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm still salty about its series cancellation after it had previously been given a two season renewal (fourth and five)! Stupid new studio executive! Mother fucker! That's how you get Syfyilis!

I believe the writers were planning on ending the series after its fifth (or maybe a sixth) season, too. Everything was thought out ahead of time, which probably explains some of its consistency. The stories they were going to tell were ultimately hinted at or crammed into the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Yeah, its cancellation was a real raw deal.

I'm glad we got the Peacekeeper Wars to wrap things up, but I'll always wonder what could've been.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Farscape was great, when it wrote a planet of [X] it made it interesting.

The Planet of Lawyers... So good. Instead of just taking a planet where everyone's a lawyer and not thinking about the implication, they had a really good plot about how such a planet would work.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I'd forgotten how much of a prick Crichton could be. There are certainly worse protagonists, but he always kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I guess I just didn't like how he went from being a scientist to mostly just being Action Bro.

I wish I could disagree with this sentence more, but it just isn't possible

• Options
    Planet of lawyers?
    Wut?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Planet of lawyers?
    Wut?

Planet Litigata from Dream a Little Dream in Season 2.

It's the episode set before they found Crichton back, so he wasn't with the crew.

They landed on a planet where 90% of the population is lawyers and got framed for the murder of a rights advocate for the 10% service workers.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It kind of makes sense. Sure on earth he was a smart guy, an astronaut even! Get flung into a society that is literally hundreds of years (if not more) ahead of yours though, and you aren't going to have much to offer ("Hey guys, I just figured out how to do X!" "Yeah good job Crichton, we learned that in first grade..."). If I remember correctly he kind of settles into an engineer/mechanic-ish role?

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

It kind of makes sense. Sure on earth he was a smart guy, an astronaut even! Get flung into a society that is literally hundreds of years (if not more) ahead of yours though, and you aren't going to have much to offer ("Hey guys, I just figured out how to do X!" "Yeah good job Crichton, we learned that in first grade..."). If I remember correctly he kind of settles into an engineer/mechanic-ish role?

He has one thing to offer.

Of course that one thing means that there are many, many people who will stop at nothing to get their claws onto or in him.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Season one is really flaky until Chiana shows up. Apparently she was originally written as a one-off character that would have died at the end of the episode, but they liked Gigi Edgley so much that they kept the character. Good choice there.

And then Scorpius shows up. Oh man, Scorpius.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Season one is really flaky until Chiana shows up. Apparently she was originally written as a one-off character that would have died at the end of the episode, but they liked Gigi Edgley so much that they kept the character. Good choice there.

Scorpius.

AKA The best character in the show.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Scorpius.

AKA The best character in any show.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Ack you changed your avatar when I came back here after an errand! This will make less sense, but the Immortan Joe AV made me start thinking of the potential of Far Fury Roadscape.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Crichton being the big pull-anything-off guy fits the series fine, because he gets that way from having the universe completely and totally fuck with him and he just barely manages to survive, and usually not without some sort of crippling or traumatic experience. He learns the hard way for everything, so he earns his role as the guy with crazy ideas that still work. Not to mention that he really is an actual genius in his own right, plus has a bunch of stuff crammed in his head on more than one occasion.

And then in the end he gives everybody what they want and he gets to go "SEE! I FUCKING TOLD YOU MORONS!", because it is literally beyond the comprehension of those involved just the sort of immense power he's trying to save everybody from.

Except Scorpius, who is not at all surprised and is just pleased he gets to have his way. That sick, magnificent bastard is happy about a double-barrelled shotgun pointed at the head of the galaxy, loaded with double-aughtblivion.

"Best villain ever" may not even be hyperbole in his case, because I have a damned hard time thinking of a villain better than him.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Ok thats it, time to binge watch farscape again this weekend.

• Options
    I re-watched it a few years ago and it was AWESOME because I had forgotten large chunks so it was like having one of the best shows ever to watch for the first time again with no wait. Fucking reneging Scifi Channel.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The show does go to some weird places.
    Aeryn ends up falling in love with two John Crichtons.

• Options
    The only downside to that bit was you knew
    one of them was toast and which one. And then where THAT would lead. But they even made that work!

They even had an awesome opening credit sequence starting in season 3.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Farscape did so much better at turning a villain into a main character than most other shows (especially Buffy).

And they did it twice.
    Crais was kind of a special case since the actor was already part of the main cast because he was also the voice of Pilot, but when they essentially had Crais join the crew it was handled very well and he got a really badass exit from the series. Still, it was kind of the same "bad guy becomes good guy" plot you see a lot (well not entirely, as his first real act as a member of their crew was to steal one of their ships/kidnap a baby).

The second time though, with Scorpius? There was no question Scorpius was still a villain. And it was a great two-pronged approach. For part of it, they had Harvey there so you could still see Scorpius every episode without having to come up with a reason for him to be there (which actually ended up being a happy accident...the first time Crichton sees Harvey was supposed to be a one-time deal based on the stuff going on in that episode, but after that episode they decided it was so fun that they came up with the chip idea).

Then when it gets to the point that the real Scorpius has to work with the crew, they make it abundantly clear that he is not on their side, it's simply that he hates Scarrans so fucking much that he's willing to put up with the crew long enough to accomplish his goals. And even then he might double-cross them if he finds a loophole at an advantageous time.

• Options
    The one issue with Scorpy was his
    plot armor kind of slowly warped the show to be about him and John. The guy had more lives than a cat. When they blow up the shadow complex he just kind of lives though it, no questions asked. Granted all the main characters had this, duh, but Scorpy seemed to put his life in their hands and they KNEW he was a still a villain but there was always something to stay their hand/save his ass. Least it was still pretty well done. Sometimes better than that!

It's too bad that movie (presumably set after The Peacekeeper Wars) never happened. Though, maybe it's a blessing depending on what they would have done.

• Options
    Re: Villians
    The ending of Twice Shy is just amazing and stellar acting. The look of existential horror that Claudia Black puts out when Scorpius pops on the coms makes me wonder if they didn't set that whole thing up as a surprise for her to find out mid scene.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    The ending of Twice Shy is just amazing and stellar acting. The look of existential horror that Claudia Black puts out when Scorpius pops on the coms makes me wonder if they didn't set that whole thing up as a surprise for her to find out mid scene.
    Mvrck wrote: »

Oh man, that entire scene.
    She's berating him for using drugs to close off his feeling, she can't believe he'd pull that shit after everything, and he tells her to SHUT UP! She's just devastated. Like she's putting herself out there and he totally rejects her like that. The look on her face is priceless.

And then Scorpy, and then it goes a total 180 in tone and they just nail it.

It's a bit of a reach to think it wasn't scripted, but they all totally completely nailed it.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    It's a pity they got written/directed so badly in stargate, seems to have kind of nuked their careers.

e:
    Oh hey, the guy who did Scorpio ended up being Tarkin in ep3 of star wars. Shame he didn't get to be more prominent in that, he probably would have done a great job.

Morkath on