As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest On/Recruitment] oWoD Vampire

Harmonic DrakeHarmonic Drake Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Critical Failures
Rose.jpg

Greetings. I'm relatively new to CF, and though I've run my fair share of games, I'm not what you would call experienced. I lack some pretty basic training, something I think I can get here due to the diverse number of players. Still, I enjoy this game enough to try running a PbP, so I'm here to see if anyone's interested in playing.

The time is the present, 2009 going into 2010. The Week of Nightmares has yet to happen, and frankly everyone's on edge. The End Times are supposedly upon the Vampires of the world, but so far nothing overtly destructive or foretelling has occurred. There's an undercurrent of paranoia plaguing the Kindred of the city; furtive glances, whispered passages of the Book of Nod, even sightings, however unreliable, of Caine himself.

The city is Fairhaven (not Connecticut), one of my own making on the east coast of the US. It's a port town in the north, and it's population is about 2.5~ million people. It's a Camarilla city, representing all of the current clans sans the Gangrel (there are still some there, but the clan as a whole has already left the Camarilla). The Prince is a Brujah, and the city is more of a rebel, brawler metropolis. That's not to say that there's nothing but wanton violence; the Toreador still hold grand Elysiums and other such events, the Tremere still hold to mysticism and ritual, and the Nosferatu are still underworld kings. Things are just more ... raucous at first glance.

Fairhaven is a city locked in a battle with the Sabbat, who occupy the woodland areas north and west of the city. There are also Lupines, but for the most part they keep to themselves, or so say the few remaining Gangrel. Still, no one's eager to venture out and wonder why.

There are some rather devious Sabbat generals making unlife a pain for the Kindred of Fairhaven. Attacks on the city, diversions to snag some poor humans and turn them, even attacks on other Kindred (though always to the Sabbat's favor). So far the Sherriff has reigned things in (he being a Gangrel), and the Sabbat's attacks are covered up with the typical excuse of gangland violence, drug use and anything else that will keep the kine from questioning their surroundings.

Unlike most Sabbat attacks, these don't seem to be intrusive, but more about harrassment. Their overall plan seems to wear down the Kindred so that one final strike will win them control of the city. There are signs that they might be after something else, but no one's kept any prisoners in order to find out.

One more thing. The Traditions are as you would expect them to be, but the current Prince has extended the Sixth Tradition to cover Caitiff and Anarchs, as long as they present themselves to the Prince. He doesn't seem to care if they're made, but each Caitiff is responsible for himself and the laws of the Camarilla. Anyone actually caught siring a Caitiff, however, is subject to the Third Tradition, of course.

The Prince and the Primogen have decided to put together a coterie dedicated to finding these Sabbat filth and bringing them to justice. That being the case, this game is going to focus on combat, but I won't outright disallow politicking. That's just one of my weak points, so I'll ask that you be lenient with me on that account.

I'd like to keep the characters between four and six, and limited to the six Camarilla clans and the Gangrel. Fun as it is to play oddities, implied trust and cooperation are key and that's something that only the core clans of the city are entitled to (the Gangrel who remain are still regarded for their physical prowess even if they're not given more than a cursory benefit of the doubt). Caitiff aren't really considered worthy of such an honor, and so they won't be allowed (at least, at first).

If possible, I'd like no repeat Clans. Each one has something to offer to this venture, which is how the higher-ups would see it and pick accordingly. Of course, it's going to be made mostly of neonates and ancillae of under 100 years. Everyone in the city has things to take care of, and while elders would be more than capable of handling such a nuisance, their attention is better focused on other, more clandestine operations.

That and they love shoving duties onto their lessers.

So, let's see if we can get some interest going in this game. Overall I'm going for something fun, so even if it doesn't make sense completely, the point was to have a good time (I'm not going to use that as an excuse to skimp, though). Also, we'll be using all current errata for oWoD Vampire, and we'll house rule things as they come.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Harmonic Drake on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Definite interest. I may go with Tremere, unless someone else really wants that clan.

A fellow Floridian and not setting it there? :P Ah well.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I really despise Florida, plus Miami is mostly a Sabbat stronghold (and no other city is really useful in this god-forsaken state). I've always had a soft spot for the north, could you tell?

Where in Florida you at? I'm in central, on the east coast by Daytona in a crappy town called DeLand.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SoFla, Broward.

And there was a pretty neat V:TM Chronicle in Tampa once. We've even had a few in Lauderhill. V:TM's really popular in Broward for some reason. All Camarilla ones. Maybe Sabbat games are popular in Miami, who knows(or cares). I like the state, but avoid Miami like the plague it is.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm actually in a Sabbat game on a separate board that's rather fun. Unfortunately, there's zero interest in gaming in this city that I've found, so I'm forced to look online in order to satisfy my wants and needs. Which brings me to CF!

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Uhh.... Orlando is where it's at.

Also, dammit, Masquerade but no Ravnos, you're killing me here.

I might make a Brujah though....

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ravnos? What Ravnos? Oh, yeah, them. Poor bastards.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They just want you to think they're not in control.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The big thing was the "the week of nightmares hasn't happened yet".

You got my hopes up and then smashed them with a baseball bat. And ran them over with a bus.

Full of Ventrue.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They would. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about them, but right now it's about the solidarity of the Camarilla.

Of course, it's not set in stone; if enough of the players want it to have happened, I can arrange that. Also, those Ventrue wouldn't deign to ride in the bus. That's what the servants are for.

Man, I'm losing my ability to type here.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I swear to god, if I get into this game and have to kill Ravnos, I'mma be pissed.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't plan on it, no. I mean, I usually never paid much attention to them, but that can also change.

Also, Orlando is where it's at, it's just too bad I'm all the way up here in BFE nowhere.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you manage that, it wasn't a Ravnos.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Chimerstry 5, what?

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Chimerstry 10, Animalism 10 what? You fake your own Antediluvian death?

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fortitude 10. I'll go get a nice suntan. Ravnos has to be the most unkillable Antediluvian.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Animalism 10? Really?

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The book on the Week of Nightmares always annoyed me that someone like Ravnos, a master of illusion, the Beast and straight-up constitution could die from being doused in sunlight. I guess it works thematically, but definitely not systematically.

Yeah, I'd assume so. With Animalism 10, you could theoretically make your entire Clan frenzy; mix that with Chimserstry and you get the Week of Nightmares, which is plenty of time to fake your death and go back into hiding.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It wasn't just the sun, it was also the army of Kuei-jin and whatever, plus the big spirit nukes.

Oh, who am I kidding, Fort 10 still should've soaked it.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The spirit-nukes was a nice touch, I have to admit. Folding three different systems into one story was a rather slick move on White Wolf's part.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well it was the Week of Badass, I mean, uh, Nightmares.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I still bet Ravnos was having a drink in a bar somewhere and watching the whole thing unfold with a big smile.

Shame nothing in endgame was as awesome as the Week of Nightmares.

Well, maybe Tzimisce attacking NYC.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, part of why I didn't want it to happen yet was I wanted to run my party through it.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Awwww

Speaking of endgame, that book was actually pretty good. I should reread it sometime.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I thought the whole Red Star thing was atrocious, at least in the first Gehenna ending. I can understand a more ephemeral, faith-based ending, but it was just a pansy ending.

Now, the Werewolf ending where the Red Star is actually a comet? Yeah, that's cool. Also, I guess I should mention it since I forgot it in the OP, but the Red Star is out and visible for all Auspex-users (and Malkavians).

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For the record, when the TEchnocracy wants you dead AND YOU GIVE THEM DAYS TO KILL YOU, you die.

Period.

Just sayin'. Chimerstry 10's nice and all, but True Magick in the form of high technology Ravnos wasn't familiar with is a pretty badass trump card.

Also, looks like I might be helping run this bad boy, so welcome to Fairhaven, population Fucked.

(that's a joke, son)

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sunlight is still sunlight, the Technocracy just redirected it, not amplified it. At least, as far as I remember. It's been a while.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They used four orbital mirrors that bathed a wide swath of territory with sunlight while also making use of dozens if not hundreds of Enlightened agents, many of whom specialize in Mind magick (Men in Black get Mind as their Specialty sphere...). Ravnos, lacking Auspex 10, didn't forsee that possibility and thus was primarily killed due to totally unforseen circumstances.

Besides, he'd been under almost constant assault since he woke up. Chances are he didn't have the BP left to whip out Chimerstry 10 other than the "put the whole region under attack by semi-real phantasms of doom" he was already using.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Err. sorry guys.

Drake and I get into these kinds of discussions occasionally. And heck, CJ, you know how I am.

I'll try to keep it to IMs from now on. *Laughs*

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And here I thought you would be jumping in to join, not drop science. :P

Didn't know about the Mind magic stuff. Well, nice knowing you, Ravnos.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'd rather have him helping shore up my faults, but there's nothing saying he couldn't be a player later on.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm playing in so many games right now anyway that I'd hate to hold this one up with slow posting.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm definitely interested in this. Dibs on Malkavian!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested. since I missed the last game. I had a few concepts ideas lurking in my head when I read this.
    1.Gangrel , 2. Toreador, 3. Nosferatu

(order of preference, considering what others want).

Egos on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested but haven't played Vampire in over 10 years.

Is there online stuff I should read to remind myself of wtf is going on?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wow, lots of interest. No, nothing online or anything, you just need to know the corebook (knowing any other sourcebooks related to the Clan you want is up to you, I will be allowing sourcebook-specific Merits/Flaws, within reason).

So we have a Tremere, a possible Brujah, a Malkavian, a Gangrel so far. You guys call what clans you want so we can determine what's taken and what isn't. If we can get a full seven people, that would be perfect (one per core Clan).

Also, we've had some debate about the Week of Nightmares. If you want it to have happened, sya something. Otherwise I was planning on having it be an in-game event that you guys get to run through.

Edit: 3rd Edition oWoD, by the way.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Toreador can be a lot of fun. You and Egos can discuss it if he's willing to play a Toreador, I'll leave that up to you guys, but he did call Gangrel first (though I know this board can be hard to get to things before they get filled up).

I'll reiterate that this campaign will be more combat-oriented than other, more political campaigns (at first), so plan to be of use in a fight. Of course, with regards to Malkavian, Nosferatu and Ventrue, that doesn't mean your given powers can't also be of help in a fight (trust me, Krata's shown me how they can be forces to be reckoned with).

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Been dying to do some OWoD Vampire for a while, so this is like an answer to my prayers.

I've got a concept for a Nosferatu that I've been keen to use for ages, so I'll call it.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can go ahead and post concepts, but no sheets just yet until we get everyone decided.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheets are such an important part of character concepts

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was wondering when you'd show up. And, they're only a part if you let them be. You don't need a sheet for background story, or even just a personality.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And yet, you still need a sheet to play the game. :)

INeedNoSalt on