As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bigman thread! Post yer quads!

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was gonna be all "haha I will go to the gym and not tell the thread then come out months later and be HAHAAAAA LOOK AT MEEEE""

but honestly it feels to good

I can't do pullups, so I do lat pulldowns. It has gone up from 80lb to 100lb, though I failed on the 9th

Did my first squats with weights, no spotter so I didn't play hero, but I think the bar is 22lb yes? These things are chunky and heavy as hell so I think they may be more. if that is the case then I squatted 55lb.

then I did a standing press, just the bar, which may even be a bit much for me, so I went 2x10, 1x8

Driving was hard

Also I am bad at incline dumbbell rows, I feel like I am doing it all wrong

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bar is 45 lbs

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bar is 45 lbs

which is 22 kilos

gotta tell them kangaroo fucks everything i swear

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    now kangaroos

those guys have some fucking quads

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    271214071_69170628de.jpg

Come at me bro

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That image is priceless. I wanna be kangaroo-jacked.

4385223344_6c6b46c22b_o_d.jpg

How much do you curl, brah?

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Few questions:

1. Answered. I'll just start squatting 3x a week.

2. Shouldn't make a difference if I swap my bench days if I feel my job is messing with progress, right? Specifically, I'm having to do a lot of stockroom work over the weekends, including lifting relatively heavy merchandise overhead (which is heavy and repetitive use of my shoulders, which I feel is holding back my bench). For reference, this is Tube's Mk.II:
    Monday: Bench, pullovers, tricep extensions, pushups, flies.

Wednesday: Deads, bent-over rows, barbell curls, pullups, chinups.

Friday: Squats, military press, hamstring curls, calf raises, shrugs.

I don't think the sequence of the schedule matters much, so shuffling the days shouldn't make much of a difference if I feel I'm being held back.

3. Answered.

4. If I'm able to do more than 5 reps with a given weight for an exercise, I'm not using a heavy enough weight, right? This really only applies to pullovers, but I feel like something's wrong.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i want to be able to squat again i miss it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Few questions:

1. Answered. I'll just start squatting 3x a week.

2. Shouldn't make a difference if I swap my bench days if I feel my job is messing with progress, right? Specifically, I'm having to do a lot of stockroom work over the weekends, including lifting relatively heavy merchandise overhead (which is heavy and repetitive use of my shoulders, which I feel is holding back my bench). For reference, this is Tube's Mk.II:
    Monday: Bench, pullovers, tricep extensions, pushups, flies.

Wednesday: Deads, bent-over rows, barbell curls, pullups, chinups.

Friday: Squats, military press, hamstring curls, calf raises, shrugs.

I don't think the sequence of the schedule matters much, so shuffling the days shouldn't make much of a difference if I feel I'm being held back.

Yeah, but what would you switch it with? Every day involves the use of the shoulders, and every day should. I think you might want to explore other ways of dealing with it. Maybe try massaging your shoulders or something on Sunday night after you are done with work or something, or do the Monday workout later in the day so you have a few more hours to recover. I don't know.

3. Answered.

4. If I'm able to do more than 5 reps with a given weight for an exercise, I'm not using a heavy enough weight, right? This really only applies to pullovers, but I feel like something's wrong.

Just use more weight next time. Constantly and incrementally be increasing the weight week to week, if something is too light it won't stay that way too long.

big l on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I a terribad person for losing respect of my pals that WON'T do anything BigMan at all?

It's happen quite a few times. I go to the gym and find some friend from Uni on the elliptical or in the lat pulldown machine. I say hi, and they say hi. I ask what are they doing and they are either "Doing an hour of elliptical so I can tone my abs a little bit" or "Don't know, just the general routine the trainer gave me"

When I mention they are wasting their time and that maybe they should be doing a more complete program like SS, they says something like "Well I don't know, I think I am going to stick with this for a while to see how it works"

Sometimes they even ask me for advice in order to not sound too dismissive:

"Hey I've seen you lift big. Any tips for a good back workout?"
    "Well, The Deadlift is one of the most complete exercises for a back work out!"
    "But isn't it dangerous?"
    "It is if you are totally stupid and not learn correct technique. I've been deadlifting for more than a year and haven't had even a remotely small pan or injury because I am always rectifying my technique. You can do it too"
    "I don't know, maybe I'll just do that machine over there..."

Whatever

I'll then say something like "Want to join a flag team? it's like football but less rough, its hella fun and you geta pretty good workout there too"
    "I don't know. I think I'll just do some swimming/jogging laps and call it a day. I'm too busy"

The sad part is that these guys have been going to the same gym almost before I got there. That's 19 months and counting. I've been able to get my numbers up, completely change my lifestyle, get stronger, fitter and enjoy things that I never thought I would. I have learned a hell of a lot about nutrition, health and fitness.

They keep doing the same things that have failed them over over and over again. Going to the gym 1 or 2 months, falling out, getting fatter, getting themselves to the gym again. I mean, at what point do you realize it's not working?

hectorse on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They might not be ready to make the commitment the change requires. I've also met people who are defeatist. They are convinced nothing will change/improve so why bother. Then they go to the gym and barely put in any effort. When they see no changes they pat themselves on the back for being right.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They might not be ready to make the commitment the change requires. I've also met people who are defeatist. They are convinced nothing will change/improve so why bother. Then they go to the gym and barely put in any effort. When they see no changes they pat themselves on the back for being right.

I agree

But being willfully ignorant is the worst of the worst.

I mean, they say they are busy. Yet the SS program takes at most 3 hours a week instead of the 1 hour cardio + 1 hour lifting they do daily on their Personal Trainer's Routine! In fact, when starting SS takes little more than half an hour. That's one hour and half A WEEK

And not wanting to learn only sets them up for MORE failure.
    WTF

"Most men are whinny little girls" sad but true

hectorse on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    Best to just mind your own business dawg. Nothing worse than people offering advice when no advice was desired.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Best to just mind your own business dawg. Nothing worse than people offering advice when no advice was desired.

I know, dude. I keep pretty much to myself on the gym.

But these people are colleagues and friends. You know, university alumni and fellow students. I want to help them because they are my pals, we see each other everyday on the lab or the cafeteria. It's not like I am coming down on random people.

hectorse on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    "Most men are whinny little girls" sad but true

rofl :)

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Look, if a horse wants to have opinions about men he's allowed Run.

Peen on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think giving up bread & switching semi-skimmed for skimmed milk have been the best decisions I've made for a long while. Now I just ram myself full of lovely soft carrots & brocoli where the bread & spread used to go & my skin doesn't feel half as greasy!

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bread and semi skimmed milk make your face greasy?

gazamc on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gazamc wrote: »

I think it was mainly the sunflower spread that was this issue. I ate A LOT of bread. Like half a loaf a day sometimes.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think it was mainly the sunflower spread that was this issue. I ate A LOT of bread. Like half a loaf a day sometimes.

yowza! that is a lot of bread.

gazamc on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're bad, Hectorse, then I'm bad too. I will instantly (and unfairly?) think better of people if they lift weights.

Also, when I see guys who look like Marten (dark-haired dude, last panel) I now find myself thinking "he would look so much better if he lifted weights." I've gotten kind of evangelical about it.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's weird. I wasn't like this before hahaha

It's like my BullShit-o-meter fires off as soon as someone says: "But I don't have time" "but it's dangerous" "But I don't want to get bulky!"

And I think "I can't hang out with this dude that much! He seems rather boring"

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man they obviously don't care, leave them alone. Maybe they just aren't interested in what you are. People who get all evangelical about their hobbies are the worst.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I sort of want to start Power cleans. But I would have to learn it on my own, and that concerns me a bit. They look all kinds of fun though.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I sort of want to start Power cleans. But I would have to learn it on my own, and that concerns me a bit. They look all kinds of fun though.

They are not as difficult as they look

Do them, they are all tons of fun

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

See if there's a weightlifting club nearby.

Tube on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am just trying to tone.:winky:

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    If you're bad, Hectorse, then I'm bad too. I will instantly (and unfairly?) think better of people if they lift weights.

Also, when I see guys who look like Marten (dark-haired dude, last panel) I now find myself thinking "he would look so much better if he lifted weights." I've gotten kind of evangelical about it.
    It's weird. I wasn't like this before hahaha

It's like my BullShit-o-meter fires off as soon as someone says: "But I don't have time" "but it's dangerous" "But I don't want to get bulky!"

And I think "I can't hang out with this dude that much! He seems rather boring"

do you two even listen to yourself? lifting weights is just a hobby. nothing more. it's no way of live or does make you a better or more interesting person.

if you really think someone is boring for not lifting, I gotta tell you, bulk is no substitute for a lack of personality.

or if you think every guy should bulk up you got an incredibly skewed view, there are so many different body types, and what looks good on one person looks ridicules on someone else.

sorry to say that, but really, get a reality check.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There is a bodybuilding gym nearby I could check out. Their website hasnt been updated in years, and it seems to be a big focus on dudes flexing covered in brown paint, but I could give them a call and see whats up.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am just trying to tone.:winky:

What are your recent numbers, dude?

You are a beast

There is a bodybuilding gym nearby I could check out. Their website hasnt been updated in years, and it seems to be a big focus on dudes flexing covered in brown paint, but I could give them a call and see whats up.

SS also teaches how to power clean quite easily

EDIT: RUN^3 you are pretty cute hahaha

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EDIT: RUN^3 you are pretty cute hahaha

So I've been told, yes.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    never change :P

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    never change :P

I won't. If I did girls wouldn't be able to carry around my petite frame on their backs any more.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh dammit Run, I know it's just a hobby, but back when I was a more serious crocheter I looked down on people who didn't crochet.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh dammit Run, I know it's just a hobby, but back when I was a more serious crocheter I looked down on people who didn't crochet.

That strikes me as an extremely large section of people.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why would you do that? jesus.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

It is, but look at all those suckers waiting around in line with idle hands while I'm making an awesome sweater.

I'm just saying, you get to feel superior if you're a member of a small, cliquish group of hobbyists. It's how you keep your motivation up.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

It is, but look at all those suckers waiting around in line with idle hands while I'm making an awesome sweater.

I'm just saying, you get to feel superior if you're a member of a small, cliquish group of hobbyists. It's how you keep your motivation up.

Can't knock an awesome sweater.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, I can certainly understand that. I too feel superior for being German.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, I can certainly understand that. I too feel superior for being German.

Not sure you want go yelling about that one dude, slippery slope and all.

I look down on people who aren't librarians and that's just about everyone. Suckers.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.