As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Torchlight: Clickfest now on Mac and PC!

KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
OP shamelessly stolen from Korodullin, and modified by me:
torchlightlogo.png

AKA: "THIS GAME LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE DIABLO III WHAT A BUNCH OF RIPOFFS DIE IN A FIRE FAILSHIP"

THE GAME!

Torchlight! It's an action RPG by Runic Games, which consists of folks who made the Diablo games, Fate, and most recently were developing the ill-fated Mythos for Flagship. For those of us who played Mythos, Torchlight is likely already a day one purchase, but for those horrible people who never did, I guess some information should be shared.

First off, it's single-player only. Yeah, I know, it sucks, but we can deal with it. The game is also a sort of "feeler arm" by Runic in order to establish a brand and raise some more capital in order to produce an MMO version, hopefully with similar combat. Second, it plays more or less like any other isometric ARPG. Point mouse, click mouse, kill mans, loot the bodies, kill bosses, etc. Third, and probably most importantly, it comes with a robust suite of modding tools, and from the info we've seen so far, the community should hopefully be able to produce some quality stuff.

Since I am pretty universally terrible at OPs, here is some stuff from Runic's site:

* Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
* Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
* Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
* Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
* Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
* Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
* Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.

THE CLASSES!

Destroyer

destroyer_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhrNZZf-dOk
An endless wanderer, who is drawn to conflict with his dual-welding blades, was led to Torchlight after hearing of the evils befallen it. Through channeling the power of his ancestors, the Destroyer excels at close-quarter combat and is able to smite his foes with such ferocity as to easily dispatch multiple enemies at once. With a strong sense of virtue, the Destroyer sets out to deal justice with his blades, but things may not be as simple in Torchlight as they appear.

With a darkness rising to cloud the Destroyer’s judgment, only time will tell whether or not the draw of Ember will tempt his soul into corruption.

Basically your standard melee meat machine. Can use some few ranged attacks, as evidenced by the Destroyer video up there. Very Diablo II Barbarian-ish.

Alchemist

alchemist_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLl5Xzu2Aw
Drawn to the power of Ember as a cornerstone of his magical art, the Alchemist came to Torchlight for his own ends. Being the largest cache of Ember ever found, the temptation may lead the Alchemist never being able to break free of its influence and ultimately to his downfall. The power of Ember is beyond imagining, but the price is very high.

By channeling the power of Ember, the Alchemist is able to dispatch enemies from afar as well as summon minions to his aid.

Your mage. Lots of pretty spell effects and some summoning. Probably my favorite-looking class.

Vanquisher

vanquisher_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNzJ9KYlWw
Part of an ancient order dedicated to justice and bringing balance to the world, the Vanquisher was sent out to Torchlight to investigate the mysterious slayings and missing town folks. Unknown to her, the darkness below the small town of Torchlight runs far deeper than the mines beneath. As an expert marksman, the Vanquisher is able to take enemies from afar as well as use traps to confuse and deliberate her foes from all directions.

The flow of Ember and the darkness below will test the Vanquisher’s skill and conviction to the fullest.

The non-magic ranged attacker. From the video and the description, feels like a Diablo II Amazon combined with some shades of Assassin. Apparently some melee ability as well.

THE MODS!

Torchleech (Outdated) or Hotspot are highly recommended!
So you've downloaded your first mod! Now you want to try it out, but wait! You have no idea how to do it? Fortunately, we have this little guide to help you.

All mods must be placed within the correct folder on your computer, or they will not work. To find this folder, first you must find your Application Data for Torchlight. One way to do this is by going to the folder where you originally installed Torchlight, and then clicking the shortcut there to find the Application Data.

The folder this link will take you to should be something like...

In Windows XP: C:/Documents and Settings/{your user name}/Application Data/Runic Games/Torchlight
In Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight

NOTE 1 - Vista and Windows 7 users can simply search for %appdata% in the start menu.
NOTE 2 - You may need to set your computer to show hidden files before you can find the folder.

Once you find Torchlight's application data folder, you simply need to open the folder titled "mods" and unzip your mods within. Each mod, if created correctly, should extract a folder with a custom name (each mod will likely have a different name in the folder). You may be able to tell if it unzipped properly by checking within the extracted folder to see if a folder titled "media" is inside. Everything MUST be in the correct location within the mods folder, or the mods will not load.

Finally, if you have several mods that attempt to use the same file, they may not be compatible with each other. You may need to edit the load order in the mods.dat file, and if they still don't work correctly you may simply have two mods that will not work with each other. However, if you are particularly handy you may be able to modify the changes in both files into one single file that works together... but for that, you probably should ask the mods' authors in the forums for help.

Here are some of the game editor videos, courtesy of Drool:
Drool wrote: »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1KMHtAJsY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqkJD7fQq8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4y63KvHOWU&feature=player_embedded

Here's the video tutorials. The thing you need to know about the tool set is that it lets you change anything and everything. In addition to making levels and pieces of levels to be randomly put together you can change all the values from classes, to loot, to monsters. You could add textures, models, meshes, particles, anything that's in the game you can screw around with.

Recommended mods:

Great starting point here:
Well the easiest method I found of getting mods/see what is out there is Torchleech. It lists everything available, and will install/check compatibility for you. It also has a rating system for mods, though that's pretty new so it may be out of whack.

Additional mod recommendations under the spoiler!
Next thread needs a list of good mods.

So far I'm rocking:

Potions Stacksize
Respec Mod
Starch The Monster Hunter
Merchant Pack
Arcus's Nether Imps
Morkath wrote: »
Enchant Never Wipe
NetherMage - fun but a little overpowered in the long run looks like, think I need to go through and change the damage types, just been too lazy.
OccMod - good for basic alchemists, changes nether imps to mechanical laser shooters that dont need a corpse to summon.
PetTransPotions - permanent pet change potions for sale.
Potion Stack Size
Small Font
Starch
Tier3AncientItems
TotalRespecMod
VeryFishy - changes fish to stat boosts so you don't accidently reset your pets appearance.
Better Quest Rewards
Destroyer Skills Duration
Gem Icon MOD
noborders
No BS Enchanter
No Narrated Trap Pet
Quiet Gem
Respec Mod
Starch the Monster Hunter
Becoming wrote: »
So far I use a minimal amount of mods.

UI improvements:
Small Font v1.31 + Better tooltips 11/6
Brighter Map
Bigger Gems

Minor game changes / less tedium:
[ALCHEMIST] Persistent Skeletons
[DESTROYER] Balanced Destroyer Skills Duration - Adds duration scaling based on skill point investment to some buffs (2min max).

There are some other nice ones out there worth consideration, such as extra stashes, items always identified and max potion stack size.
jclast wrote: »
These are what I'm using now:

Enchant Never Wipe because I'm a big old wussy who doesn't want to lose his good weapons.
Persistent Skeletons because it makes my dog an awesome skeleton army raising mage.
Potions Stacksize because 20 potions in a stack just isn't enough (ups health, mana, identify scroll, and town portal stack sizes to 200).
Respec Mod because if I want to respec my dude I don't want it to flag me as a cheater.
SmallFont because the font is huge on my 1920x1200 monitor without it.

THE MEDIA!

PAX 2009 trailer

Screenshots! Warning. They are enormous.
E3-bridge-fight-troll-lava.jpg
E3-corner-ramp-lava.jpg
E3-crypt-depth.jpg
E3-gore-slash.jpg
E3-shoulder-dash.jpg
E3-stomp-crypt.jpg
1-year-fishing.jpg
1-year-inventory.jpg
1-year-stomp.jpg

If any of this piques your interest at all, I urge you to consider giving it a shot. It's only $20.

THE DEMO!

There is one. You can get it here or here. If this doesn't convince you, I will eat my own hat.

THE PURCHASE!

Buy via Steam!
Buy via Direct2Drive!
Buy via Runic Games!

OTHER STUFF!
Needs to be added to the OP:

Transmuting:

Two gems of the same tier -> one gem one tier higher
Four gems of the same tier -> one gem two tiers higher
Three potions of the same type and tier -> one potion of the same type one tier higher
Four enchanted items -> One cracked or dull gem
Four rare items -> One dull or discolored gem
Four unique items -> One regular gem
Three Sushi-grade meat (fished up in stacks of five) -> Sushi Helm
Three enchanted rings -> One new, unidentified, enchanted ring (similarly for 3 rares or 3 uniques)
Three enchanted necklaces -> One new, unidentified, enchanted necklace (similarly for 3 rares or 3 uniques)

I think that's it, until you add mods to the mix. There are some for fish, some that add Mysterious Ember Stones (transmute along with a unique item to get a new unique item of the same type: weapons yield weapons, armor->armor and trinkets->trinkets).

steam_sig.png
Kasanagi on

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's a super good game. What's up with sets, though? I've had one drop from one set I could use in 20 levels. Gathering all the pieces would pretty much take until it's worthless.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yeah, I've started getting set item drops now that I'm in the Tu'ata caverns or whatever they're called, and even though I've had 6 or 7 set items drop for me in a relatively short time span, they're all from different sets.

I'm worried that I'm going to hit photobucket bandwidth caps, so if anyone can recommend better image hosts for the OP I'd appreciate it D:

EDIT - Might have to use this post for additional mod recommendations and links. Check under spoilers for more.
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Sithdrummer - I've had steam warn me that the steam cloud version of my character saves was older than the local saves. Be sure to keep the local saves if it ever prompts you for that, it seems to be a fairly common issue.

Going to add these recommendations into the OP. There are some redundancies of course, but take that to mean that they're doubly recommended. I myself use the following:

Alchemist Scaling Upgrade - adjusts the alchemist's "arcane" tree skills to better scale to higher difficulty playthroughs. Basically a slight increase in the potency of all arcane tree skills.

Brighter Map - Obvious enough from the title, this mod works great with the Darnified Automap.

Darnified Automap - Fits the minimap with a simple graphical border, making it easier to distinguish from the surrounding area. Best utilized with the Brighter Map mod.

Faster Walking - Two versions of this mod, 50% boost and 100% boost. I use the 50% though I find it to be a bit overpowered for ranged classes. Not really a must have, but I like it, makes town travel and corpse-runs less tedious.

Gem Icon Mod - Modifies the gem display icons to show roman numeral gem levels. Cracked is I, Dull is II, and so forth. Handy way to keep an eye on what's what.

Increased Selling Prices - Again with the obvious titles. This mod slightly tweaks your selling prices to vendors, resulting in slightly increased profits from selling whites, greens, and blues, and big profits from selling oranges and purples.

Items Always Identified - Mainly got this to reduce the tedium of buying scrolls. Only downside to this is that it modifies all of the base item stats in the game, so other item mods tend to conflict with it.

Loot Border Removal - makes holding ALT key to see items on the ground a lot easier to see and read.

Merchant Pack - Adds a bunch of custom merchants, and changes what the default merchants sell. Makes shopping for any given item a little easier. Adds a fish vendor too, so you can buy the easy-to-find fish varieties.

More Maps - Runic released map pack adding more map scrolls to the game for randomly generated fun.

Ocular golems - replaces the Nether imps summon with ocular golems. They have a ranged attack instead of melee, and they do not require corpses to summon. Downside is they're slightly weaker than the nether imps were.

Potions Stacksize - 20 potions per slot becomes 200. Scrolls too.

Total Respec Mod - Adds the runic released "respec potion" for respeccing your skill points, and also adds stat reset potions that subtract X from all stats and give you 4X stat points. For the algebraically challenged that means one potion will take 5 from all stats and give you 20 (4 x 5) stat points to distribute.

UniqueDrop + SuccessEnchant - Totally unbalanced mod, makes it so that 90% of item drops from chests/mobs are oranges or purples. Makes it possible to actually see some of the awesome items that rarely drop, but definitely breaks the game with how powerful they are.
    kal wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I have a request, which when answered should be passed on to the OP so he can update accordingly:

- What are the trusted sites for mod information?
    - Where are the database-style websites for info on this game?
    - What exactly is the Torchleech link, as to bypass any false links / dangerous sites?

mods: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/

not sure about an over all database but the weapon/armor one is

http://torchlightdb.com/

also this wiki run by Runic Follower is

http://www.runicfollower.com/wiki/torchlight/Portal:Torchlight_Main

as far as other mod sites i believe there is another one but it didn't have much on it last I looked and between the official forums, torchleech and the mod database pretty much everything is in one of those spots. As fat as the torchleech direct link it's pretty much front and center on the mod db site so getting it painlessly is pretty simple.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Buying this game was the worst idea ever. I'm going to lose so much of my life to it...

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game is killing me. I've been sitting at work all day wishing I was at home playing it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's perfect, like a safety blanket. I know that when I run out of games to play (ahahahaha AC2, ME2, Dragon Age, Uncharted 1 & 2) I can go back to that, so there's no imperative to squeeze the absolute maximum gametime out of any of the above.

devoir on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm kindof amazed that this game managed to fill a whole thread! Not because it isn't a good game, but it seemed a bit simple and straight-forward.

I enjoyed it for a few days, but then moved on. I really should come back and actually get into it some more, as I was enjoying myself. So many other games to play though!

Toxic Pickle on
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    are there recommended builds for each character?

i heard you can use respecpotion and that doesnt count as a cheat if you wanted to change your spells

xta on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    respec mod is only a cheat if you consider it a cheat, especially since the game is all SP right now.

also, i don't think there are "recommended builds" just some skills that WTF pwn. like explosive shot.

Feldorn on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's a super good game. What's up with sets, though? I've had one drop from one set I could use in 20 levels. Gathering all the pieces would pretty much take until it's worthless.

I usually find a ton of set items on the weapon/armor merchant in town.
    I just grab them as I see them, and bank them in shared stash.

zhen_rogue on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This has probably been asked fifty times but I wasn't here for those, so I apologize in advance.

What is the probability of Runic patching in some simple coop features? I know they are working on an MMO version but it wouldn't really take that long to work up some coop, would it?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So level 17 alchemist, should I start pumping up ember lance or stick to ember lightning?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This has probably been asked fifty times but I wasn't here for those, so I apologize in advance.

What is the probability of Runic patching in some simple coop features? I know they are working on an MMO version but it wouldn't really take that long to work up some coop, would it?

0%. It would.

devoir on
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So level 17 alchemist, should I start pumping up ember lance or stick to ember lightning?

I've been doing pretty well with ember lance and never uses ember lightning any more.

Is it normal to have a lot of potions? When I started using giant potions, I had almost a hundred large health potions in my stash.

Peewi on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    After getting bored with my second character - a Vanquisher; use Ricochet or Explosive Shot; now do that and nothing but that forever - I decided to try something a little different, and based on pretty much universal recommendation grabbed the Nether Mage class off Torchleech.

Nether Mage is so much more fun than Runic's efforts. Pew pew pew! Wall of ice! Wall of explosions! Oh hey, Nether Rage triggered a dozen times and now I'm running, attacking and casting twice as fast. Pew pew pew!

Mumblyfish on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I've been doing pretty well with ember lance and never uses ember lightning any more.

Is it normal to have a lot of potions? When I started using giant potions, I had almost a hundred large health potions in my stash.

The only time I ever whip out lightning anymore is to nail guys above of below me.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

You can take your lower quality potions to the transmuter to turn them in to better potions, but I don't see the need to bother with that. I try to keep three full stacks of both types of potion around in my inventory (and even that is probably overkill), and sell off any surplus ones.

Lars_Domus on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    After getting bored with my second character - a Vanquisher; use Ricochet or Explosive Shot; now do that and nothing but that forever - I decided to try something a little different, and based on pretty much universal recommendation grabbed the Nether Mage class off Torchleech.

Nether Mage is so much more fun than Runic's efforts. Pew pew pew! Wall of ice! Wall of explosions! Oh hey, Nether Rage triggered a dozen times and now I'm running, attacking and casting twice as fast. Pew pew pew!

You forgot, SUMMON DRAGON!

I haven't used it yet, but it sounds interesting.

I also had to mod the class to put ember shift back onto it, replaced offensive spell mastery with it.

Morkath on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I was so frustrated last night after playing almost 2 hours only to have the game hard lock on me - had to power my PC all the way down. I'm chalking it up to Torchleech, but I did make sure to do the compatibility check on all of my mods (only the basics, such as Potion Stacksize and Enchant Never Wipe).

I'm not sure if that conflict checker in Torchleech is 100% thorough or not. I will find out now as I am going to play this again and at least try to get up to where I was before it crashed on me.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I finally beat the "Story Mode" of the game, and was interested in seeing what kind of sheer "HULK SMASH" type of guy I could make.

I think I did pretty well.
    Torchlight.jpg

The best part is that I got to use my first character to Enchant the ever loving shit out of that mace at level 3.
    That thing gives me back more health a second than they'll be able to attack me with for another 5 levels.

I love this game.

WeX Majors on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So hey, I heard something about retirement in this as a thing for end-game characters. What's up with that?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Purchased it off steam while it's 50% off. So far it's nice but I can't help but feel like the alchemist is lacking compared to the vanquisher. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So hey, It's back to $10 on steam for the Christmas sale.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ound some nice loot tonight but i haven't had a chance to delve into what i got, i know it was a good color

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    anyone just get a Torchlight has finished downloading pop up on steam? it just popped up and i certainly wasn't downloading it as it has been installed since friday.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    yeah, I've started getting set item drops now that I'm in the Tu'ata caverns or whatever they're called, and even though I've had 6 or 7 set items drop for me in a relatively short time span, they're all from different sets.

I'm worried that I'm going to hit photobucket bandwidth caps, so if anyone can recommend better image hosts for the OP I'd appreciate it D:

www.imgur.com

Edit: Really the worst TOTP I've seen.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    anyone just get a Torchlight has finished downloading pop up on steam? it just popped up and i certainly wasn't downloading it.

Yeah, I got one too. I assume that they released an update. I heard that the recent update introduced a bug that could cause crashes when fighting Alric. Maybe this fixed that.

Peewi on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Torchlight is 50% off on Steam again.

travathian on
    edited December 2009
    What are thoughts on Pyre?

Edit: Also is silence a spell that your pet would use, I know how some don't work right when given to a pet?

The_Spaniard on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    anyone just get a Torchlight has finished downloading pop up on steam? it just popped up and i certainly wasn't downloading it as it has been installed since friday.

I get this everytime I load steam for some reason, I think it's the mods confusing steam and making it think it needs to update files.

Morkath on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

I get this everytime I load steam for some reason, I think it's the mods confusing steam and making it think it needs to update files.

It could be connecting to the cloud to load your character each time you try to open it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AFAIK the only spells that "don't work right" for pets are a few summoning mods - in particular, pet-summoned zombies will only give him the leeched health, and not you.

SithDrummer on
    edited December 2009
    No thoughts on pyre?

The_Spaniard on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So this game is practically a direct sequel to Fate, right? What with the pet and the fishing and same developers and all?

Is it better balanced? By which I mean, can you fish in town for half an hour and find an epic elite weapon that you should probably have found at like floor 50 that sells for a billion gold so you can enchant all your items to hell, and totally broken skills that make the game crazy easy if you just dump them all in the right one?

Does it still go on forever if you choose not to retire?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it better balanced? By which I mean, can you fish in town for half an hour and find an epic elite weapon that you should probably have found at like floor 50 that sells for a billion gold so you can enchant all your items to hell, and totally broken skills that make the game crazy easy if you just dump them all in the right one?

If you do all these things and then complain that the game is unbalanced/broken, I'm inclined to think you are the one that is broken. It's a single player game, play how you want to, but don't complain about it being unbalanced if you're the one going out of your way to abuse the system.

travathian on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So this game is practically a direct sequel to Fate, right? What with the pet and the fishing and same developers and all?

I guess the level cap is 100, but there is an infinite dungeon.

Alecthar on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The item drops are well-balanced, and fishing gets you... well, fish. Even the best ones sell for practically nothing; they exist only to let you transform your pet if that's your thing. I personally think it's just a silly distraction - and the pet is entirely useless on Very Hard mode without heavy investment in summoning skills - so I got the Imaginary Pet mod.

...which is the greatest thing about Torchlight. Since it's single-player and mod-friendly, there's already a mod to fix or tinker with every little thing that irks you. It's so easy to make simple ruleset adjustments that I've made a few mods myself to alter the game to my liking.
    In the base game, the highest level item drops are level 50 and you can grind your way up to level 100 - and I think fame level 30? - in the infinite dungeon.

However, there exist mods which add extra tiers of items, increase the level range up to 1,000, let you craft absurdly powerful items, increase the difficulty so that you get railed up the shitter despite having those absurdly powerful items... and there's even some user-created dungeons. I think with the base game the intention is that you retire characters to pass down heirloom items, but if you want one character to go on forever, you certainly can.

Mumblyfish on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I purchased this game due to the steam sale, it loaded up fine, went into options before playing it to set my resolution to 1920, and the game crashed and is now failing to execute. My computer is less than a month old with fully updated drivers. Any thoughts, or should I uninstall it, reinstall it, and not set my resolution that high?

Ultarune on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would try out different resolutions before reinstalling anything. I don't think you need insane resolutions for this game, given it's graphics style.
    I have Torchlight running at 1280x1024 with Anti-Aliasing and it looks great.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No thoughts on pyre?

I use pyre + summons, and love it so far.
    I find the mana usage to be small, the damage+DoT to be high, the usage easy with tons of pets holding your targets still, and the fun factor high!

Ember lance is fun, granted, but I loathe the LoS and z-axis issues.
    Ember strike is a nice "just in case" spell, but the mana cost is just too high.

zhen_rogue on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The cloud saving is awesome, because I rock this game both at my desktop and on my laptop.

Unrelated, I just picked up Machinarium on Steam because it too was half price. What a fun game. Great change of pace.

Michael H on