As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Advice on picking a Smartphone

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
I'm due for a hardware upgrade and want to pick the right phone. Rogers (carrier in my area) is having a promotion on a number of phones (99 cents with 3 yr contract):

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal

LG Eve
Blackberry Bold 9000 White
Sony Ericsson X1 English
Nokia N86 8MP
HTC Magic

Any ideas on which one I should pick? I'm looking for a phone mainly for email, surfing internet and pictures. Also need something durable as I keep my phone in my pocket 24/7 where it gets bounced around alot.

Advice?

Bamelin on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would save ~$50 a paycheck for the next few months and buy a phone at a one year contract price instead, even though you would miss out on a deal.

Three years is a long, long time to be tied to one cellular provider.

If you decide to go for it, I'd recommend away from the Bold. It's got a tiny screen, and after a while you will, without fail, have issues with the trackball.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you really do want to go with those, I'd say get the HTC Magic. Assuming you won't be upgrading (or most likely can't) for those 3 years, it'll last for some time purely based on the custom ROM scene being pretty strong. That and Android has a lot of useful apps.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't mind being tied to a contract (I've been with Rogers for 10 years or so ...)

Just want to make sure I pick a phone that has the best lifespan over the terms of the contract. I was definately thinking about the Magic.

Here is the full list btw of phones they have on sale at 99 cents:

BB Pearl 8220
    Sony Ericsson W760
    Sony Ericsson W350
    Samsung F406
    ZTE Rock F165
    Samsung Propel A766
    Sony Ericsson X1
    LG Eve
    Blackberry Bold 9000 White
    Sony Ericsson X1 English
    Nokia N86 8MP
    HTC Magic

cheapassphones01.png

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    How good is the camera on the N86? We don't have a decent camera, my wife might like that one. We both need a phone ...

Me: Enjoys surfing, email, texting, occasional pictures (and of course I want great quality in my calls)

Wife: Wants a phone with a great camera, may also surf occasionally, and she texts

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a G1, which is basically a Magic with some extra stuff on it. It lives in my pocket with no case on it, I've dropped it numerous times, spilled water on it, etc, and it works perfectly. So as far as sturdiness goes, there's that. Android OS is wonderful, too; its apps do exactly what you want. The issue for me is no physical keyboard, so go to the store and try one out, see how you like the on-screen one.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unfortunately Rogers Wireless will not support the OS past 1.5 (seriously). I'm not really techie enough to know how to install custom OS, so that kinda eliminates the Magic from my list of potentials (which is a damn shame)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're going to skip the Magic, then I would say either the X1 or the N86, depending on whether you want more smartphone functions or more having a really good cell phone camera/MP3 player.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Question; do you want a resistive or capacitive touch screen? It makes a world of a difference and is starkly different in the type of use you'd get out of a phone. I have an ipod touch and a HTC Fuze. The touch is capacitive and the Fuze is resistive. It's strikingly different and one is more "finger friendly" than the other.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Question; do you want a resistive or capacitive touch screen? It makes a world of a difference and is starkly different in the type of use you'd get out of a phone. I have an ipod touch and a HTC Fuze. The touch is capacitive and the Fuze is resistive. It's strikingly different and one is more "finger friendly" than the other.

I've never actually had a touch screen phone before so I'm not really sure. I have tried my friend's iphone though and it seemed really responsive.

Regarding the X1 I've heard it's somewhat sluggish although it's definately stylish. I showed my wife the phones today and she actually didn't like the Nokia (I was surprised with that!) ... she liked the LG Eve but again there is the "rogers will only support up to 1.5" issue.

I'm leaning towards the Blackberry or the X1. Of the phones I've listed, which ones are better for mobile gaming?

I may end up going "screw it" and paying the 200 bucks for an Iphone (with 3 year contract). I'm not at that point yet though heh

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't want to be "that guy", but what's the point of playing games on a phone when the Nintendo DS exists?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the x1 is a nice phone but the X2 is due in January and the X10 the android Sony Ericsson phone is due then as well so id say the blackberry if you are into that (though i think the white is a little cheap looking)

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't want to be "that guy", but what's the point of playing games on a phone when the Nintendo DS exists?

considering many people want their PHONES to be as small as possible, I can't see such people also carrying around a DS brick in their pockets too. It is too bad though that phone games can't compete with DS games.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Most people, even those who love their DS, don't carry a DS with them as often as they carry a phone with them. Have you ever had to wait for something or otherwise had a need to kill time when you had a phone in your pocket but not a DS?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think 3 years is a bit long for a contract. But if you must choose between these:

LG Eve - I've heard nothing great nor anything bad about LG. I also didn't find this model on the review sites I visit, so I can't be sure of th specs. Looks like a touchscreen. There are cases when LG products not being hardy, so on the background of a 3-year contract, LG may not be the best choice.

BB Bold 9000 - Only if you're OK with the form factor. The Bold has some good reviews though there seem to be some issues with the browser being unstable (probably just a patch/app issue). The 2MP camera seems a bit on the low side, especially considering its not backed up by a strong lens / camera app like SE and Nokia.

Sony Ericsson X1 - It runs on an older version of WinMo, and with WinMo7 slated for 2010 and a 3-year contract, this doesn't seem an appealing choice for me. Otherwise the hardware specs for the X1 is competent, but nothing amazing. Much of this phone's value is "hype" generated on initial launch. To me, there isn't much appeal now that it's on the shelf for a year plus.

Nokia N86 8MP - I always found this phone rather bulky. I think it doesn't come with MS Office support out-of-the-box, unlike the Nokia e-series. Good camera, and Nokias are known to last. The Symbian OS is due for another update in 2010 though, not to mention Maemo.

HTC Magic - one of the first few Android phones, and Android is expected to gain market share over the years. HTC is known for quality builds, but also for relatively poor camera.

Conclusion...
    Nokia N86 if camera is important (Carl Zeiss lens), HTC Magic if you want a touchscreen interface.

My own preference...
    A Nokia e72 (or even the e71), though that would likely break the price point. Both models have good performance on several areas (connectivity, smartphone support, playback, browsing, camera etc). I'm not that keen about touchscreens, but like to have a dependable camera on my phone (i.e. not having a camera built in just to fill a bullet point on the specs sheet).

Reboot on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards the Blackberry or the X1. Of the phones I've listed, which ones are better for mobile gaming?

I may end up going "screw it" and paying the 200 bucks for an Iphone (with 3 year contract). I'm not at that point yet though heh

As far as the smartphone gaming market is concerned, iPhone >>>>>> everything else.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I know pocket real estate is important and all that, but damn dude just drop $20 on a used GBA SP or something and use that for portable gaming instead of buying an iPhone.

I don't think there is a deal on the planet good enough to make it worth being locked into a three year contract, and if the three year subsidized price of an iPhone is $200 where you live, that is just crazy.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Definitely not worth a 3 year contract on an iPhone. Happy iPhone users are grumpy enough about missing one year's new revision, let alone two. You don't want to be locked into a feeble 3GS when the rest of us are hovering over shallow pools of water and lifting boulders thanks to our iPhone 5IU features.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nokias have great Battery life, great interfaces, great durability, the N series have outstanding cameras (for a cellphone). I'd love to have an N86.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nokias have great Battery life, great interfaces, great durability, the N series have outstanding cameras (for a cellphone). I'd love to have an N86.

I think only the Sony ericsson phones have better cameras on mobile phones. The N86 is very solid but i feel the Symbian OS does feel sluggish these days compared to those of even Winmo let alone stuff like OSX for the iphone and the android platform.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I think only the Sony ericsson phones have better cameras on mobile phones. The N86 is very solid but i feel the Symbian OS does feel sluggish these days compared to those of even Winmo let alone stuff like OSX for the iphone and the android platform.

Yeah, I never had a real Smartphone, but I fucking love Nokia phones, and the N95 is a humongous hit here in Brazil. The N86 seems to be really cool too.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Yeah, I never had a real Smartphone, but I fucking love Nokia phones, and the N95 is a humongous hit here in Brazil. The N86 seems to be really cool too.

Oh the N95 was a hit everywhere, and the updated N95 8GB black improved the software faults, they were built to last as well Which is something the updated N96 and N97 failed to do. The only feature that was missing on the N95 was to be able to use the camera at night which was pretty difficult. The N86 sorts out this by using dual LED's for low light.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know pocket real estate is important and all that, but damn dude just drop $20 on a used GBA SP or something and use that for portable gaming instead of buying an iPhone.

I don't think there is a deal on the planet good enough to make it worth being locked into a three year contract, and if the three year subsidized price of an iPhone is $200 where you live, that is just crazy.

The iPhone actually has games worth playing, not just cheap flashlike games. I have my phone, DS and PSP in my nightstand drawer. I've been playing on my phone more a fairly respectable amount compared to the other two systems.

solsovly on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holy shit, three year contracts? Is that stuff really common? I'm pretty sure that's not legal here.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Holy shit, three year contracts? Is that stuff really common? I'm pretty sure that's not legal here.

No legal? I'll make it legal:P

But in all seriousness, the DS/PSP look ridiculous in your pocket. The slim GB they made was a dream come true for gaming on the go (despite not being 3D) because it was small and didn't look like you were smuggling arms.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Officer! Officer! I think that guy's got a small rectangular shaped gun in his--wait, never mind it's just a DS again.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    After futzing with an iPod Touch for a month, I'd say that it has some neato games, but it's not up to par with the DS and PSP. It's good for a 5 minute wait in line or something. I'm using the Kindle app far more than games.

Oh, and gaming drains the battery in one hour. It's completely useless as a 100% portable gaming platform, because you are gonna need to plug it in really fast. Even the PSP has several hours more battery life.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Visti wrote: »

It is in Canada. I don't know why it is, but it is.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

The iPhone actually has games worth playing, not just cheap flashlike games. I have my phone, DS and PSP in my nightstand drawer. I've been playing on my phone more a fairly respectable amount compared to the other two systems.

The iPhone does have a decent selection of decent games, but it could have the greatest game selection in the world and it would still be a lackluster phone, and it's not worth paying $200 for with a three year contract.

That, and the battery issues mentioned above. And playing games using the touchscreen and tilt controls is pretty much the definition of awkward.

If you've got five or ten minutes to kill and you wanted to play a game you could certainly do a lot worse, but you could certainly do a lot better too.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd steer clear of anything using symbian.

I had an n95, and now have a 5800, and I'm not going to get a symbian phone again. It is pretty sluggish, and not really up to modern smartphone tasks.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I'd steer clear of anything using symbian.

I had an n95, and now have a 5800, and I'm not going to get a symbian phone again. It is pretty sluggish, and not really up to modern smartphone tasks.

Completely agree on the sluggish part, whats worse is that nokia and Sony Ericsson are both ditching the OS by January

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Isn't that a good thing?

My contract is up in june, and I am keeping my eye on the Acer A1 Liquid, seeing what HTC have out by then, and of course there is the the Nexus One which we are probably going to hear about in the next week or so.

Edit: Oh, and the Xperia X10.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP in that my contract is up in April and I find myself pining for a smartphone. It's definitely going to be an Android phone, so I'm just going to have to choose a provider. In my area:

Telus - HTC Hero
    Rogers - HTC Dream & Magic, LG Eve
    Bell - ???

As the OP said, the big thing with Rogers is that they're not providing an OS upgrade for their Android phones past 1.5. While that is fairly lame, I'm one of those guys who is more than willing to root a phone to switch up the OS. I'm not sure what Bell and Telus will be doing or what they have on the horizon, which is why I'm stopping by their respective stores today. I'm not that loyal to one company and will go where the grass looks greenest.

That being said, what is on the horizon for Android phones that I should keep an eye out for?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That being said, what is on the horizon for Android phones that I should keep an eye out for?

The Nexus One or DROID are pretty much causing Android fans to orgasm to the point of convulsion

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Isn't that a good thing?

My contract is up in june, and I am keeping my eye on the Acer A1 Liquid, seeing what HTC have out by then, and of course there is the the Nexus One which we are probably going to hear about in the next week or so.

Edit: Oh, and the Xperia X10.

Well for symbian OS is still widely used in communities and has loads of cool things going for it, its a shame that Nokia couldn't get the latest version running smoothly because it had loads of potential still as an OS.

Ziggymon on