As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godfather's technical semester gibberish (NSFW-ish)

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
These are some of the things I did during my semester at MTM this year. I'm kinda tired so i'm not gonna explain any of it for now. If you're curious about any of the exercises, just ask and i'll be happy to tell you. I don't expect a lot of responses to this thread to be honest; this is just more of a "what I do most of my year" kind of deal just to clue the five people who are curious around here.

This is a lot of stuff to post, so I put it all in spoilers so it won't overwhelm the OP via visual overload

Gestures:

8Upua.jpg

QYkkc.jpg

FiALC.jpg

LjMXx.jpg

pPpHq.jpg

Extended Gesture:

75Ano.jpg

nPGNr.jpg

Geometric Analysis:

VvXjz.jpg

Blind Contour:

3uDpX.jpg

zpYfT.jpg

tDYSn.jpg

UexRI.jpg

In-betweens:

qcNX9.jpg

Tvhw6.jpg

VKXho.jpg

3jeZC.jpg

1cFip.jpg

LjMXx.jpg

VoMgy.jpg

Layout:

bfSWK.jpg
zJkTg.jpg

3XueY.jpg

WW0BW.jpg

Background painting:

zxUq3.jpg

I had a really kick-ass Miguel rough I wanted to throw up, and quite a few other things as well, but I can't seem to get the images to work. I'll sleep on it and post it later when I have the time.

Godfather on

• Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SO are you majoring in animation? That's really neat.
    What do you use to paint the background paintings

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, i'm an animation major.

I had to use gouache, and that's a real pain-in-the-ass medium to use, let me tell you. Frikkin' impossible to match colors with those paints.

I am so very glad that I never have to use them again this year.

Godfather on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can identify with gouache being a bitch to use, but I really dig the colors in those. Particularly the one with the tree and lantern in the foreground.

also are those seriously BLIND contours? I was going to critique something about how the proportions are kind of funky on a couple of them but if you're not even looking at the paper for those that's pretty impressive.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cool thread, Godfather! What year of animation are you in, and which school?
    I love your quick gestures, are they made with regular charcoal or something different?
    I also think your background paintings are good.
    Keep it coming!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gouache is magical and you are all assholes.

Nice studies Godfather but in your figure drawings I suggest thinking more about the shapes of the masses you are drawing rather than the contour.

rts on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    jpeg wrote: »
    I can identify with gouache being a bitch to use, but I really dig the colors in those. Particularly the one with the tree and lantern in the foreground.

also are those seriously BLIND contours? I was going to critique something about how the proportions are kind of funky on a couple of them but if you're not even looking at the paper for those that's pretty impressive.

Yep, they're blind. They're actually speed contours; six to seven minutes at best.

They are my strongest exercise.

EDIT: Here's a quick Trafalgar Law doodle I did for the One Piece thread

4zDW8.jpg

He looks like this in the manga

rGxKb.png

Godfather on