As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"The One" (Not Matrix-related)

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Forumers. So I'm with a really fantastic girl, nothing wrong with her. She's awesome and more awesome.

And I'm not close to dropping to my knee and asking for her hand in marriage any time soon, but I was curious for those of you who have been engaged/are engaged/are married/were married... what made you ask or say yes? What was the "feeling" if you can put that into words or what were your reasons for saying yes?

Just a big question, not looking for any advice on should I propose or not but I'm curious since some friends have recently gotten engaged and I'm sure that day for me (Lord willing) will come some day.

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is definitely way more of a D&D thread than an H/A thread.

Thanatos on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I too, am interested in this question though I suspect there's no satisfying answers.

electricitylikesme on
  • DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, for the majority? Misguided feelings and impulse.

Seriously, I fell for a girl harder than ever. We had a great time for awhile, and joked (but kinda seriously) about marriage at such a stupid young age. Then I woke up and realized things weren't going so great. And I think this happens to 99% of people, unfortunately a lot of people are more impulsive and rush the marriage bit.

edit: But more to the point, I am interested in hearing from someone who has been married for more than, oh, say, five years without any major road bumps or reconsiderations. I don't trust people who were just married to give the best nor most accurate description of why saying "yes" was the right decision.

Dryghten on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We had been living together for 2 years already and where like, "eh, what the hell it will make the families happy and she can go on my good insurance."

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prime, no offense, but what? I mean, shouldn't there be more?

Dryghten on
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prime: ya, not to knock your decision or anything but uh... wut?

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    My wife was my High School sweetheart. And we also went to college together for 4 years. After we graduated school we moved in together and were living together for around 2 years. Then we got married, bought a house, etc. We just had our 3rd anniversary this past summer.

I think I was just lucky that I found my perfect girl pretty early on. We have our first baby due in April.

We're also both really really really sarcastic about pretty much everything.

MagicPrime on
    edited December 2009
    Congrats!

That sounds a lot more romantic now with all of the back story. So, for you... what is the perfect girl? It's subjective and all but what made it so concrete? Obviously being together for so long might be an indication, but surely something about her makes you feel that way

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Honestly its that our personalities and sense of humor mesh so well.

Just a couple days ago my mother was over at the house talking about getting all this stuff ready for the baby. And both myself and my wife just kinda shrugged and went, "Meh..." at the same time.

My mom just stood there and looked at us for a second and said, "Wow... you two deserve eachother."

It's just the little things. And even after 7+ years of us being "together" I can still make her laugh to the point of nearly peeing her pants.

That's pretty much the things that stick mostly in my mind. The little funny events that happen.

Like the time we were walking in the mall and she just flat out walks straight in to a wall, and she doesn't think I see it happen and she just kinda plays it off like it didn't happen. Without even looking over at her I just go, "Um... did you just walk in to that wall?" and with a defeated voice she replies, "Dammit... I hoped you hadn't seen that."

MagicPrime on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Known my lady love for 12 years and been going out for 11 of those, have a 2 year old child with her. I asked her to marry me, back in 1998-99? We have still yet to throw a party, do up any paperwork (other than my daughter's and some tax forms), or even snag some rings to replace the engagement. I honestly don't care if we ever get married, its just paper work to me, though I think we would be sure to make it a fun party, but it doesn't really change anything in terms of my commitment to loving her and life is good. Sure, we have our ups and downs, but we work that shit out.

And that's thing isn't it? You realize all you got for someone else is hormones and till the party is over because you just aren't willing to go the extra mile to work shit out when its time to learn how to live with each other's bad habits, quirks, assumptions, selfish desires and a million other things that get between friends, let alone lovers and family makers.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Not to turn this into a debate (D&D lol) but why not just get married? Go to the courthouse and all and just sign away...

Just personally, my faith makes me feel like marriage is just something that is to be, but of course I grant that marriage to me even isn't confined to some license that says I'm married or having a big wedding/party to show my commitment to someone.

So I guess I just answered my question. Props.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I can hear her snoring right now... through the fucking floor of the house in to my basement. I can hear her snoring.

She didn't snore till she got pregnant.

When it came time to buy a house and whatnot it just made sense to "make it official" for tax reasons, loan reasons, insurance reasons, etc. Regardless I'm sure we would have gotten married eventually but that was the catalyst that started the conversation.

MagicPrime on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Going on married over two years now.

I'll say this--it needs to be a lot more than just butterflies in your stomach, "I'm in love!". It really needs to be a deep friendship as well--a person you're completely comfortable with. You're never going to see a person be as much their real self, on a daily basis, as your marriage partner.

It also takes a certain strength of character to be married, because nobody is perfect and there will be things that annoy you about anybody. You have to be able to deal with that and work to keep your relationship good even when things aren't ideal, because they won't always be.

What I'm trying to say is that a marriage is about the ability to sustain. Emotions don't sustain themselves; you can work to sustain them, but it can't work the other way around. Being "in love" can't carry you through years of living with somebody who drives you up the wall.

It seems to me that marrying somebody who you are very comfortable with, who you know deeply, makes things much easier. But there's no perfect compatibility... Every marriage takes work, and if you're not ready for that, you're not ready to be married.

I don't mean to diminish the emotional state of being in love too much. There's that too, and certainly my wife and I still have it. But it would be difficult to keep renewing that if my wife wasn't also my best friend, my closest confidante, and the person I'm most comfortable with in the world.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My parents, when I asked them this, told me that it was because my dad could then get married quarters in the Navy. They've been together almost twenty-five years, though, so it's not like that could have been the only reason; my dad isn't even in the Navy any more, so it hasn't been about the accommodation for years.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Heh, sometimes people's reasons for getting married sound like they are saying "I did it for the LOLz" either as them making a joke or us thinking the joke :P :D

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Engaged for about a year now.

One night we were sitting around, talking about plans for the future. It suddenly came to mind that I could not see a future for me without her in it.

So I popped the question right then and there, no ring or anything.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When you know, you know. I asked my wife to marry me after we were dating for.. I don't remember, 10 days I think? We stayed engaged for 4 years after that, and now we've been married for a year and a half.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'm with shadow, when you know, you know.

My parents got engaged after like 3 months. Been married just a hair under 30 years.

I finally found my one and it's easy for me to talk about it with her, doesn't feel rushed or anything and its only been 3 months. There is just a connection, you can be your real self around the person and like shorn said, if you can't see your self in the future with out that person.

Everyone's feelings will be different based on your relationship but you'll know. I've dated plenty of girls and none have ever even made me think about marriage until now. It just hits you and was pretty damn obvious to me!

rfalias on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    We had been living together for 2 years already and where like, "eh, what the hell it will make the families happy and she can go on my good insurance."

That's the best reason to get married. Insurance. Insurance and taxes.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Forumers. So I'm with a really fantastic girl, nothing wrong with her. She's awesome and more awesome.

And I'm not close to dropping to my knee and asking for her hand in marriage any time soon, but I was curious for those of you who have been engaged/are engaged/are married/were married... what made you ask or say yes? What was the "feeling" if you can put that into words or what were your reasons for saying yes?

Just a big question, not looking for any advice on should I propose or not but I'm curious since some friends have recently gotten engaged and I'm sure that day for me (Lord willing) will come some day.

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

I had been with Emma for three years before I proposed and we had been living together for a year and a half.

First I became sure that I never wanted to leave her, then I waited to get older and be sure.

The nice thing about proposing is that there is really no timeline. We were living together, we had joint bank accounts. If the relationship was going to last there was no reason not to wait a little while. Then, when we did get married it was just a formalization of the de facto status of our relationship.

I think some people make a mistake by buidling up marriage too much as a step in the relationship. You don't take things to the next level by getting married. You keep on having the same relationship you had before. Being committed totally to being with this one person is really something that should have been done internally long before any kind of ceremony.

Marriage is great, it does a lot of cool things for you, but what it doesn't do is fundamentally alter your relationship with your significant other. It doesn't change you or them in any significant way.

Speaker on
    edited December 2009
    Engaged for about a year now.

One night we were sitting around, talking about plans for the future. It suddenly came to mind that I could not see a future for me without her in it.

So I popped the question right then and there, no ring or anything.

My experience exactly.

Speaker on
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My wife and I have been together 11 years - married for one of those, and living together for 7 of those. I'm very nonchalant about everything... one night while making her dinner I simply pulled a ring out and asked if she wanted to hang out with me for a while.

Some backstory - she asked me out on a date in April of my last year of highschool. I said "Yeah, I can do that" - brilliant response. Went away to college and kept seeing each other every chance we got. Two years later she came to University to be with me, and in my fourth year we moved in together.

I realized I wanted to marry her almost immediately after college, we discussed it and both agreed that some other time would be better - like when we could afford it. We became an item financially, emotionally, physically - did almost everything together, made a joint bank account, paid each other's bills and truly became best friends. When you share everything with someone, it just made sense to us to get married, and celebrate our lives together with friends.

At that point I was in it for the long haul - we were married last September in a beautiful outdoor chapel thingy and we even managed to poke fun at each other in our individually written vows. I believe I promised to help get her things of the top shelf for the rest of my life...

Phisti on
  • strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not married, but I am planning to propose. Tonight as a matter of fact.

It's a pretty simple decision for me, and not a lot is going through my head about it. I guess to me it's a lot like Shadow's philosophy. When you know.. You know.

I've been with this girl for a whopping 3 months, but since we met we have literally been together practically every day. Every time I look at her I just can't think about having a life without her. I love her so much, and I just know she's who I want to spend my life with. And I know she feels the same way. That girl would do anything for me, and I her.

We just have that chemistry you know? Everyone we know always talks about how perfect we are for each other, since we're almost the same person. We have a lot of the same interests, we banter back and forth all the time, and even though we've been together every day since we met there's never any shortage of good conversation.

But I guess to put it simply, I'm asking her because every time I look at her I get all mushy inside. She makes me happy, too happy to ever want to let her go.

Wish me luck though... Kind of a nervous wreck at work over here :S.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Break a leg! (Should you say that during winter?... happens all the time here)

When I proposed it was pretty much a done deal, I was still a nervous wreck (but acting super cool and suave) no matter how long you've been together it's still a pretty big leap of faith.

Phisti on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good luck strategery!
    Thats like my relationship too...
    It's a sure thing because we talk about it all the time, but still will be a xanax worthy moment rofl.

rfalias on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Long story.

Before my current fiancee I've only been in two serious relationships. One when I was 15 - 17 and another when I was 18 - 20. Both ended pretty badly, so for the next five years I did the college/bachelor/guy thing and just kinda slept around. I'd start a relationship and the moment it would become rocky I'd abandon it. If it were not me then the other party would end it.

So, basically, my life for five years was not having a very trusting relationship with women simply because I was burned and because I didn't have the effort to put up with the requirements for a relationship. I think it was basically when I started seeing behavior in women that reminded me of the two tumultuous relationships I had, then I'd simply lose interest.

I was also pretty wild and crazy for a few years straight and got into some things that I shouldn't have, which drove some women away.

Anyway.

As for my current fiancee, I ended up having to "fight" for her. We started casually dating for a month or so. She had a boyfriend but was in an abusive relationship, but like many people in that situation she was having trouble letting it go. At about the second month we started getting serious and the question of that boyfriend started coming up. I had reached the point where it was going to come down to "him or me". She knew that point was coming because we had a few heated discussions about it. I had warned her in the beginning that she was gonna fall in love with me and she did not believe me.

I never had to give the ultimatum.

Roughly six months after that we were engaged. I trust her, and she's done pretty much everything either in my best interest, or in "our" best interest. We're best friends. We do everything together because we tend to think alike. We like the same video games. We like the same movies. We have the same sense of humor. We can listen to a piece on NPR and then discuss it and while we disagree sometimes, often we pretty much share the same opinion.

Do we fight? Occasionally. We'll both get on each others nerves from time to time which will result in her barking at me to leave her alone and me responding in kind. But the good thing, the thing that makes this relationship unique to me, is that that can happen and neither of us hold a grudge. We'll do our own thing for an hour or so. She'll watch TV while I read in the other room, and then largely we'll be back to normal when we sit down together again.

So it kinda boiled down to the pluses outdoing the minuses. We're both human. We both screw up from time to time. But there are things important about each of us to each of us that negates those things. She's unique enough to me that when she does things "that all women do".

Figured if I was gonna get married, I might as well get married to someone that I kinda fit well with. Every one constantly talks about how we simply gel together, how we are so much alike.

Figured it was the thing to do.

There kinda was no proposal. We had basically mutually decided to get married. Which I think is another "good sign". I mean, when two people are thinking that they should get married at the same time, that alludes to a mental connection. So I order a ring and I had planned on a romantic evening and I'd propose and all that. The ring was delivered to my parents and while we were there they kinda just looked at me and said that I should just go ahead and give it to her. So I did. We were officially engaged while just hanging out at my parents. Laid back. Just how I wanted it. Though I did bend down on one knee when we got back to the apartment.

Sheep on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're married and not fighting, then you're not married.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    If you're married and not fighting, then you're not married.

As anecdotal as it is, I've always found the completely pristine "Never ever ever argue" marriages kinda creepy and completely few and far between.

The close knit marriages where the couples argue from time to time but make up have outlasted the ones I know of where it simply seemed like a situation of convenience, where both partners largely maintained their independence and didn't seem to care for a cohesive living environment. One of the two always ended up either cheating, or divorcing due to simple unhappiness.

Sheep on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good luck, Strategery! :D!

Now, I have a sooort of related question. Spawnbroker and I have been dating for a little over 4 months now, I would say we're past the infatuation stages, and I can honestly say that we love each other very very much.
    But, we never fight. Like....never ever. Not because we're hiding things and avoiding confrontation (we've actually had several conversations about communication, and the importance of it, so we're on the same page here), we just genuinely get along really well, and have similar outlooks, views, and ideals. Now, we haven't even gotten remotely annoyed with eachother yet. Is it really possible to be this compatible with someone else while truly being 100% your self?
    It kind of freaks me out (in a good way, as this is rare to me!)

Edit: I know there WILL be arguments in the future, don't get me wrong. I'm being realistic about this, and everything, but we've never been in a relationship where things mesh so damn well together.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Now, I have a sooort of related question. Spawnbroker and I have been dating for a little over 4 months now, I would say we're past the infatuation stages, and I can honestly say that we love each other very very much.
    But, we never fight. Like....never ever. Not because we're hiding things and avoiding confrontation (we've actually had several conversations about communication, and the importance of it, so we're on the same page here), we just genuinely get along really well, and have similar outlooks, views, and ideals. Now, we haven't even gotten remotely annoyed with eachother yet. Is it really possible to be this compatible with someone else while truly being 100% your self?

Of course it's possible.

I don't "fight" ever with my partner. I can count on one hand the times in the last 5 years when we even raised our voices (then again, we're both New Englanders- we don't raise our voices).

That doesn't mean that we don't get annoyed or upset with each other, we just generally are good about brushing it off or using it constructively.

99% of the time is how you described it, Alyce. Rare is the day we're at odds.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Wait it out. The issue could simply be trying to please the other person still and it will tire out. But I could very well be wrong. But the other thing could be that you two have been in so many relationships that you know/understand people have faults and aren't going to make it a big issue.

Or you're not in a full-time masters program while also working full-time and are at breaking point everytime you come home:lol:

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My parents got married after 3 dates, and have been married for 30 years.

In reality, what actually makes a mairrage work is the willingness to work at it if things go wrong. You can marry the person who is best for you in the whole world, and it will all be ruined if you don't work hard, and marry the least matched person ever and things will be perfect in their odd way providing you keep thinking about it.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    My parents got married after 3 dates, and have been married for 30 years.

In reality, what actually makes a mairrage work is the willingness to work at it if things go wrong. You can marry the person who is best for you in the whole world, and it will all be ruined if you don't work hard, and marry the least matched person ever and things will be perfect in their odd way providing you keep thinking about it.

At the same time, the quality of a match is, alongside social pressure and your own strength of character, part of what determines how much work you're willing to put into a relationship.

Robos A Go Go on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I took waaaaaayyy too long to propose to my now-wife. I think I just got used to having her there, and it's not like we weren't all but an old married couple anyway.

As for the "feeling"; I just got to a point where I couldn't imagine my life without her in it. Just straight up, could not conceive of it. She was that important to me.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, communication is KEY in a lasting relationship. I've seen so many marriages and the like fail due to a miss-communication, or just lack of it completely. hell, my parents separated after 23 years due to a lack of communication to them and to ME.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited December 2009
    Emma and I don't really fight.

But man, I've grown to love bickering.

Speaker on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

We routinely get into completely pedantic arguments over things that neither of us would have any personal investment in if it weren't for the opposition of the other. It's pretty great.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

We routinely get into completely pedantic arguments over things that neither of us would have any personal investment in if it weren't for the opposition of the other. It's pretty great.

People don't appreciate this, but it is a pretty good thing.

Speaker on
    edited December 2009
    Also, uh, getting married after being with someone less than a year . . .

I don't really understand that. If it is a marriage grade relationship it isn't going to disappear if you wait a while. Let the crazy in love hormones die down just to be sure you are really really okay for the long haul.

If you think for some reason the relationship is going to disappear if you don't get married, that is a big big red flag.

Speaker on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, uh, getting married after being with someone less than a year . . .

I don't really understand that. If it is a marriage grade relationship it isn't going to disappear if you wait a while. Let the crazy in love hormones die down just to be sure you are really really okay for the long haul.

Sometimes it's a pragmatic choice, like if one of you has insurance and the other doesn't.

Robos A Go Go on