Options

Borderlands Or Moder Warfare 2?

2»

• Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Flip a coin. You can't go wrong with either.

Pastee on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd go with Borderlands for now.

You could pick up MW2 in a few months, when it might actually be playable online more than 5% of the time.

Borderlands has a few problems, sure, but it's not the shit-fest that MW2 is.

And this is from someone who actually likes MW2's multi-player. When it works. Which is almost never.

Of course, it's past Christmas now, so whatever.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want to stab yourself in the eye with a dull stick, then get MW2 for the MP.

If you want to have a good time, go for Borderlands.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want to stab yourself in the eye with a dull stick, then get neither.

If you want to have a good time, go for either.

Veevee on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Borderlands IS unnecessarily easy, however. It's fun solo, which is refreshing for a game that runs off the Diablo framework, but I wish multiple players added some co-op aspects like Left 4 Dead.

Even if you do die, you teleport back a bit, lose some money that is meaningless before you hit 30 and have to walk to the exact scenario you left when you died. It's similar to Big Daddies and the vita-chambers in Bioshock. They'll choke on your corpse.
    well, not really. in bioshock, when you came back, the enemies still had whatever damage you had dealt to them. but if you die in borderlands while facing some boss or badass foe or whatever, that enemy will have fully regenerated health. you can't use multiple tries to take him down incrementally.
    What, the ability to revive downed players and use each class' special skills and talents in tandem to help take down enemies faster isn't deep co-op play? While playing with my brother in splitscreen we did that kind of stuff all the time - he as Roland could throw down a turret to provide cover fire and regenerate health/ammo while I, playing as Lilith, could rush into a tight group of enemies, activate Phasewalk with whatever elemental effect connected to the blast and the ability to both Daze and Shock enemies, and rush back to cover for easy cleanup. In fact, it's pretty much necessary to work as a team against some enemies later in the game, not to mention during repeat playthroughs.
    So just HAVING another person is deep now? Because that's what "using skills and talents in tandem" is as far as the game is concerned. Any co-op in the game is rendered moot because of how easy it is thanks to a weak death system and the ease of outleveling the main story.

It's fun, but very shallow. Or hollow. Take your pick.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Borderlands IS unnecessarily easy, however. It's fun solo, which is refreshing for a game that runs off the Diablo framework, but I wish multiple players added some co-op aspects like Left 4 Dead.

Even if you do die, you teleport back a bit, lose some money that is meaningless before you hit 30 and have to walk to the exact scenario you left when you died. It's similar to Big Daddies and the vita-chambers in Bioshock. They'll choke on your corpse.
    well, not really. in bioshock, when you came back, the enemies still had whatever damage you had dealt to them. but if you die in borderlands while facing some boss or badass foe or whatever, that enemy will have fully regenerated health. you can't use multiple tries to take him down incrementally.
    What, the ability to revive downed players and use each class' special skills and talents in tandem to help take down enemies faster isn't deep co-op play? While playing with my brother in splitscreen we did that kind of stuff all the time - he as Roland could throw down a turret to provide cover fire and regenerate health/ammo while I, playing as Lilith, could rush into a tight group of enemies, activate Phasewalk with whatever elemental effect connected to the blast and the ability to both Daze and Shock enemies, and rush back to cover for easy cleanup. In fact, it's pretty much necessary to work as a team against some enemies later in the game, not to mention during repeat playthroughs.
    So just HAVING another person is deep now? Because that's what "using skills and talents in tandem" is as far as the game is concerned. Any co-op in the game is rendered moot because of how easy it is thanks to a weak death system and the ease of outleveling the main story.

It's fun, but very shallow. Or hollow. Take your pick.

it's only as shallow as you make it. seriously. if you pick a generally overpowered class (siren/hunter) and choose generally overpowered weapons (mashers/double anarchy/hellfires) and play in a generally overpowered fashion, sure, the game stops being engaging because every encounter plays out the same way. you're basically brute-forcing your way through the story.

if, however, you apply a little imagination to your player setup, you can really make some player interactions work for you. let's say you're running lost cave on 2.5 with a brick, a hunter, a siren, and a soldier. you get ready to disturb a large skag nest. a good strategy is to pick a good area to fight in, then have the hunter snipe a skag to aggro the nest. when the superbads come charging in, lilith runs in and starts dazing while the soldier deploys his turret. brick can then go wild with berserking on slower targets.

if you play together like you're all playing alone, true, co-op holds no appeal. but if you assign each player a role (and borderlands is super flexible for this), you don't have to have everybody doing DPS all the time, and you can actually play as a team.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    it's only as shallow as you make it. seriously. if you pick a generally overpowered class (siren/hunter) and choose generally overpowered weapons (mashers/double anarchy/hellfires) and play in a generally overpowered fashion, sure, the game stops being engaging because every encounter plays out the same way. you're basically brute-forcing your way through the story.
    Playing as Brick with fists. I don't use guns.

And playing as a shotgun Assassin Siren is possibly the worst spec and yet the game is still incredibly easy. It's simply NOT a hard game, and the only option is to SKIP content to keep yourself below the main quests. That's not acceptable.
    if, however, you apply a little imagination to your player setup, you can really make some player interactions work for you. let's say you're running lost cave on 2.5 with a brick, a hunter, a siren, and a soldier. you get ready to disturb a large skag nest. a good strategy is to pick a good area to fight in, then have the hunter snipe a skag to aggro the nest. when the superbads come charging in, lilith runs in and starts dazing while the soldier deploys his turret. brick can then go wild with berserking on slower targets.
    Each player...does what they normally do. Seriously, I don't have to tell Hunters to snipe or Controller Liliths to daze. I've yet to encounter anything that requires real planning.

You can play as team, but unless you go out of your way, the game is always going to be a fundamentally easy experience. I think the game is worth the money, but it's one of the biggest flaws. You can't have DLC like zombie island because the game spits waves of easily killed enemies at you, which feeds an infinite number of second winds. I'm confident the devs are aware of this, as Mad Moxxi is really focusing on challenge.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you like fun games that are awesome, get Borderlands.

If you want a shit game full of cheaters, with shit multiplayer, and designed by a company that hates Gamers, get MW2.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If you want a shit game full of cheaters, with shit multiplayer, and designed by a company that hates Gamers, get MW2.

we meet again :winky:

Sam on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Thats a bit of an over exaggeration....more than a bit.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, lets see. Besides the obvious PC done-to-death issues, there are no dedicated servers even for consoles, which sucks. All I hear about from my friends who play (and it seems like every other post from Tycho or Gabe) has been about people exploiting or cheating.

And then of course there is the fact that Activision is the producer. The game company that hates fun.

Did I miss anything?

When I purchased Borderlands I did not feel like I was paying someone to kick me in my balls repeatedly.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought borderlands, got 1000gamer points for it in about 2 weeks (two full playthroughs and some side characters) and traded it in to get MW2. I loved it, but it wasn't a long term type of game and I knew I wasn't going to do it again.

Borderlands is cheap and fun on the side, but MW2 is the game for long term multiplayer.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg