As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are cartridges ever going to come back?

2»

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    The DS uses a standardized memory card thats why you have homebrew

Huh? No, it's a Nintendo-specific format, and we have homebrew because Nintendo can't seem to work out how the hell a cryptographic signature works (not that I'm complaining, mind you!)

Pretty sure it's because they don't care.

I mean look at how much money they make off the ds. They don't do updates to make it harder to pirate stuff or anything because it's like throwing a grain of sand into nintendo's lake of profit. It's not like they would earn more money by doing it so clearly it's just not worth the time to nintendo.

They do, though; they do it for the Wii all the time, and they did for the DSi.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Well, right now SSD's are kinda slow, unless you want to pay out the ass for a good one

Still faster than optical drives.

The only thing slowing some current SSDs down is SATA transfer limits.

EDIT - Oh, wait, large sequential writes? There are plenty of SSDs that are 60% faster than even the fastest HDD. 180-200 MB/s is nothing to sneeze at.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sequential reads and writes are easy, it's the random access reads and writes that don't show up on most benchmarks, and those are the ones you notice. The SSD industry is starting to get ahold of those too, though.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Sequential reads and writes are easy, it's the random access reads and writes that don't show up on most benchmarks, and those are the ones you notice. The SSD industry is starting to get ahold of those too, though.

SSDs have killed HDDs at these. Some mid-range models are 60 times better than HDDs at random reads, and 6 times at random writes. Ones that excel at the random accesses (Intel drives) are 92 times better at random reads and 24 times better at writes.

Anandtech has good writeups.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=1

A duck! on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    I dont get it though, we still use carts in gaming just not for the home consoles. The ds uses carts and i dont see them switching with how the psp turned out.

Though I suppose the umd is still sort of a cart.

DS cartridges are great for little kids, which is an enormous chunk of the Nintendo market. They're durable as fuck, so you don't have to worry about your 8 year old and his DS.

I'm pretty sure if you put a DS cartridge in the washer, it'd be perfectly fine once it dried out.

Having had this happen on multiple occasions I can verify this fact
    The labels on them aren't affected much either.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's the problem with digital distribution.

You don't have a physical product. That's not going to fly in the mass market where people want to feel they are receiving something in exchange for their hard earned cash.
    I want to agree with you here. But... well, you know.
    Cartridges I'm sure will make at least another round in the hand held market. I don't see it happening anywhere else.
    There are two companies in the handheld market. One of them has decided that even disks are the wave of the portable past. The other one is the same holdout that held out on cartridges for home consoles. If you remember, they caved because that was a bad idea.

Cartridges aren't coming back.

Monger on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love how people still think that their silly argument points and rhetorics are going to stem the oncoming tide of digital distribution. It's not an abstract concept. It's not just an idea. It's here. And it's here to stay. The only reason Apple still exists is DD. All gaming platforms have some sort of DD. PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DSi, iPhone/iPod.

Maybe it's not going to be the only channel available anytime soon, of course, but it's more and more the dominant channel. And it is the only channel on several systems already.

So, yeah, you can argue, stomp your feet, hate it, come up with the most clever arguments against it. It won't make any difference at all.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Cartridges I'm sure will make at least another round in the hand held market. I don't see it happening anywhere else.
    There are two companies in the handheld market. One of them has decided that even disks are the wave of the portable past. The other one is the same holdout that held out on cartridges for home consoles. If you remember, they caved because that was a bad idea.

Well using the PSP Go, which is a totally failing to sell, to point to carts being dropped in the handheld sector is pretty dumb. It probably set back the move to a DD future by a couple of years even though it's biggest problem is arguably the price.

Anyway Sony is coming out with a PSP 4k that will use disks so your argument doesn't even include Sony's plans for the PSP.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well using the PSP Go, which is a totally failing to sell, to point to carts being dropped in the handheld sector is pretty dumb. It probably set back the move to a DD future by a couple of years even though it's biggest problem is arguably the price.

Anyway Sony is coming out with a PSP 4k that will use disks so your argument doesn't even include Sony's plans for the PSP.

The PSP Go didn't work because Sony was stupid enough to remove the physical media from a platform that already existed. Had they made a completely new DD-exclusive PSP with completely new software, it probably would have worked.

You know, there is a nifty new gadget called an "iPhone" that's taking over the world based mostly on a 100% digital app distribution model. And that's with all the fucking moronic Apple shit on top of it ("Oh, let's remove all the good free and payed apps from the Brazilian Appstore, and also let's completely block them from using the Music and Movie stores! D: ).

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The other element people are ignoring about directdownloads is that even in a country with download limits like mine (Australia), ISPs still have to compete with each other for business and a big deal is whether or not they host their own local or don't count downloads from services like Steam.

I can download an unlimited amount from my ISPs local mirror of Steam, which is incredibly convenient. I imagine most ISPs will eventually find the same situation - at least where there's a competitive marketplace.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The other element people are ignoring about directdownloads is that even in a country with download limits like mine (Australia), ISPs still have to compete with each other for business and a big deal is whether or not they host their own local or don't count downloads from services like Steam.

I can download an unlimited amount from my ISPs local mirror of Steam, which is incredibly convenient. I imagine most ISPs will eventually find the same situation - at least where there's a competitive marketplace.

Man, you should really mention this on the Steam thread, we get lots of australians complaining about download caps.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're with Telstra, you can get downloads from the Gamearena servers. Not capped and good speeds (REALLY good for shitty Australian internet, like 2mb/s good). Fuck Australian ISPs up the ass, I pay way too much for this shit.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The PSP Go didn't work because Sony was stupid enough to remove the physical media from a platform that already existed. Had they made a completely new DD-exclusive PSP with completely new software, it probably would have worked.

You know, there is a nifty new gadget called an "iPhone" that's taking over the world based mostly on a 100% digital app distribution model. And that's with all the fucking moronic Apple shit on top of it ("Oh, let's remove all the good free and payed apps from the Brazilian Appstore, and also let's completely block them from using the Music and Movie stores! D: ).

And how much do those apps cost?

You want to sell $30 to $40 games (let alone $60 games)? Digital Distribution isn't going to carry you.

Evander on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Like most things it'll probably depend on cost.

I happen to think they'll be the format of choice for the next generation of handhelds.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Evander wrote: »

And how much do those apps cost?

You want to sell $30 to $40 games (let alone $60 games)? Digital Distribution isn't going to carry you.

define "carry". Because Steam has no trouble selling a shitload of those too.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Man, you should really mention this on the Steam thread, we get lots of australians complaining about download caps.

Fucking christ, you need to trumpet this out to the masses.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well my one only works for iiNet and currently it's downloading hella slow for some reason, but the principle applies for anyone who's ISP is running a local mirror or puts certain Steam servers in the freezone.

Frey's Steam Filter.

EDIT: It's this, works for a bunch of ISPs off the bat and you can add more from the INI files. It autoconfigures IPSEC in Vista and Win 7 to block everything except for the servers you want.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well my one only works for iiNet and currently it's downloading hella slow for some reason, but the principle applies for anyone who's ISP is running a local mirror or puts certain Steam servers in the freezone.

Frey's Steam Filter.

EDIT: It's this, works for a bunch of ISPs off the bat and you can add more from the INI files. It autoconfigures IPSEC in Vista and Win 7 to block everything except for the servers you want.

To be honest, the Steam christmas sale is resulting in really slow downloads all over the globe.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We have arrived at a strange crossroads.

Direct downloading has the lowest per unit margin cost, but requires the device to have connectivity and storage.

Optical discs also have a very low margin cost, but places inflexible geometric restrictions on the device. They also are generally subject to piracy.

Cartridges have a high margin cost, are generally not subject to piracy during the lifetime of the target device, and due to flash memory are physically capable of greater data density then an optical disc.

Flash handhelds will be on the market for a while, but long term I expect mobile devices to eventually overtake handheld consoles, especially once the mobile OS makers get their act together and start actively flogging phone makers for not walking in the same direction.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We have arrived at a strange crossroads.

Direct downloading has the lowest per unit margin cost, but requires the device to have connectivity and storage.

Optical discs also have a very low margin cost, but places inflexible geometric restrictions on the device. They also are generally subject to piracy.

Cartridges have a high margin cost, are generally not subject to piracy during the lifetime of the target device, and due to flash memory are physically capable of greater data density then an optical disc.

Flash handhelds will be on the market for a while, but long term I expect mobile devices to eventually overtake handheld consoles, especially once the mobile OS makers get their act together and start actively flogging phone makers for not walking in the same direction.

I honestly have no idea what you mean by this. The DS is, by far, the easiest console - handheld or not - to pirate for this gen.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I honestly have no idea what you mean by this. The DS is, by far, the easiest console - handheld or not - to pirate for this gen.

The first half of the sentence was historical. Historically speaking, pre-flash cartridges were hard to pirate. I also said "generally".

Dunno about you but I started playing cartridge games with the 2600, back when the 2600 was what everyone had. DS and flash may be ubiquitous today, and yes, I understand that a flash based system is ridiculously easy to fiddle with, but cartridge does not equal flash. It is coming to mean flash, but historically it meant rom chips.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Digital distribution will kill physical media before cartridges become relevant again.

It's like speculating on the return of the 8-track.

august on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In all possible ways discs are orders of magnitudes cheaper than cartridges/flash drives.

A disk is a piece of plastic with a huge industrial base ready to make them.

Cartridges/flashdrives are a billion times more complex to make and probably have less plants making them.

Pretty much this. I'd say digital distribution has a much better chance of becoming the dominant form of distribution some years down the road than cartridges.

But then you're basically looking at harddrives for storage anyhow.

Ideally, data stored and run on a server somewhere is the safest and cheapest. I think the trend is that physical media is going away in the long run, but not before digital distribution is going to take over in the short run.
    I don't quite get the harddrive argument, both consoles and PCs have them. And games are not sold on hard drives.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

Fucking christ, you need to trumpet this out to the masses.

Belgium has these too. But I think they will be going away in some time.
    As a matter of fact, Microsoft has started an investigation as to why Belgian providers have the cap, because it's keeping MS from deploying it's Zune service.

Edit: sorry for two posts in a row :-/

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty much every big ISP does that with content providers, but this is the first time I've heard of it being used like that.

MKR on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I dunno if it's been mentioned but the DS still kinda uses carts. Sure they look like SD cards but do they look more like CDs or carts?

I have always said there is a market for carts and the DS make that more true than ever.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    august wrote: »
    It's like speculating on the return of the 8-track.
    They'll be back. You just wait.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I dunno if it's been mentioned but the DS still kinda uses carts. Sure they look like SD cards but do they look more like CDs or carts?

I have always said there is a market for carts and the DS make that more true than ever.

The real nice thing about cartridges is pluggability. Most of the best games on ancient consoles were great because of some fancy new chip or code embedded in the cartridge. The systems were booted from the cart. The DS is booted with its own firmware, and the cards are just passive containers.

MKR on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only relevant question is whether we will have digital distribution (ie, they download the game to your hard drive) or centralized 'game banks' you log into and play remotely, with them streaming relevant content to you and uninstalling it afterward.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As someone who is terrible at looking after discs seeing carts again would be pretty cool. I doubt It'll happen though. It's a matter of marketing and perception, even if they are technically superior to discs it would still be seen as a step backward rather than having the "oooo new and shiny" factor that helps sell consoles.

Right now I'd say it's as likely as seeing the cassette tape make a come back.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If we were trying to go back to cartridges I would think the logical step would be a kind of sideways one to just out and out distributing small portable hard disks.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If we were trying to go back to cartridges I would think the logical step would be a kind of sideways one to just out and out distributing small portable hard disks.

I don't think you'll see miniaturized platter drives. SSDs have their flaws but they they're easier to make small.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    In all possible ways discs are orders of magnitudes cheaper than cartridges/flash drives.

A disk is a piece of plastic with a huge industrial base ready to make them.

Cartridges/flashdrives are a billion times more complex to make and probably have less plants making them.

Pretty much this. I'd say digital distribution has a much better chance of becoming the dominant form of distribution some years down the road than cartridges.

But then you're basically looking at harddrives for storage anyhow.

But hard drives aren't technically carts bought for each game, they're a third medium separate from disks and carts. Carts don't require a hard drive, after all.

Had to respond to this on the first page.

Hard drives are a cost that is born by the consumer, so a digital distributor doesn't really have to consider that. Same goes for half the bandwidth required to download it as well.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I don't think you'll see miniaturized platter drives. SSDs have their flaws but they they're easier to make small.

Not making them at all is even easier. I'm betting a few DS iterations down the line (or whatever successor Nintendo produces) those will be digital download too.

Did someone mention cartridges are hard to pirate? Some (if not most) ebay dealers get GBA carts in bulk from Thai pirates.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Joril wrote: »

Not making them at all is even easier. I'm betting a few DS iterations down the line (or whatever successor Nintendo produces) those will be digital download too.

Did someone mention cartridges are hard to pirate? Some (if not most) ebay dealers get GBA carts in bulk from Thai pirates.

This is the truth. I got a few pirated copies of Final Fantasy VI Adv off of eBay before I educated myself on what to look for in the listing and on the cart itself once I received it. In my research on how to spot a pirated GBA game it dawned on me just how many of these bootlegs are out there. Cartridge piracy is srs bznss out east.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, and cartridge piracy is worse than disk piracy, because the evil bastards usually pass them as the real thing, while pirated disks are clearly fake, and therefore are sold for very cheap.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, and cartridge piracy is worse than disk piracy, because the evil bastards usually pass them as the real thing, while pirated disks are clearly fake, and therefore are sold for very cheap.

Not to mention in general it's harder to use a pirated disk on a console then it is a pirate cart.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!